• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: Ultima Online was the only MMO ever worth playing.

SpacLock

That shit was hardcore, son.

Although I didn't play it when it first came out, about 5 or 6 years ago I tried it out on a free server with all of the rules set like they were on its release (basically Detroit online) and it was one of the funnest games I have ever played, despite its out of date graphics.

il4Tus.jpg

You could not step out of town without the risk of being brutally murdered (see picture above). If you were just starting out as a level 1 character and you wanted to level up by killing skeletons and various other weak creatures, they were the last things you would worry about when it came to dying, because some random dude would most likely come up to you, kill you, steal all of your shit and then cut your body into pieces and parade around town with your head. Maybe he killed you for your gold, or maybe for some other items that would take him too much time to gather himself, but one things for sure... he didn't kill you for your weak ass bone armor, but he took it anyway, to be a fucking dick. That sad ass bone armor that you worked your tail off to complete was stolen from someone who's wearing invulnerable scale shit made out of dead dragons.

I remember trying out a WoW free trial a couple years back and couldn't believe how stupid it was. I mean, there's no risk involved at all. You die, you keep all of your stuff and move on. No other player's going to randomly kill you. Oh, I guess there's like PVP servers and stuff on WoW, but what's the point? What do you gain from killing another player? Nothing. Well, I guess you can walk around with your weird looking armor and think you're cool because you won some sort of lame ass battle that consisted of click 8x8 pictures scattered around the HUD. Congrats.

Back in the Ultima days you killed other people for a reason. For loot, and to be a huge dick. And that's why Ultima Online is the only MMO that has ever been worth playing.

I'm sure everyone will agree with me 100%. There will not be a single person who enters this thread to disagree. Might as well sticky and lock this bad girl.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SpacLock said:
I'm sure everyone will agree with me 100%. There will not be a single person who enters this thread to disagree. Might as well sticky and lock this bad girl.

*drives up to the thread*

Oh, SpacLock.

*squint* I disagree. I don't play MMO's nor play games to be a dick to another person/be dicked upon.

*drives out of the thread as the minority disagreement*

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I miss UO. I feel like a wimp in other mmos, but I was one of those thieves-pks so I had fun with that shit.

SpacLock

Corran Horn said:
I miss UO. I feel like a wimp in other mmos, but I was one of those thieves-pks so I had fun with that shit.

Damn! I should have added theft to the OP. Being able to steal from any character was huge.

Chemo

AzureNightmare said:
I disagree with you
Yeah, but you're wrong about everything.

OP is a factual statement. I miss Ultima Online more than anything else in gaming. Pre-Trammel, of course.

vic2020

Neo Member
I played this game during it's prime and I remember when people could kill you, loot everything including your spellbook(which contained ALL of your spells) and house key. If you lost the key to your house they could take everything you had worked for up to that point, no other game got my heart rate up like this one until maybe Demon's Souls.

I wish I had played this. I almost decided to once but still was "afraid" of MMO's. And it's a shame because as someone said (forget who), there will never be another game like this. Back when this was the only one, you had everyone. People who liked certain aspects but not others. These days, if you don't like something, there's another game for you to play instead.

Faxanadu

I agree. Still play it today but not as much because the PVP blows now on the EA servers. I ran a free server called Gardascia for a few years.

sangreal

UO was awesome. Raph Koster tried to make a successor in Star Wars Galaxies but it was pretty shit

I completely agree with you that modern MMO games need to bring risk back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't get me wrong, UO was okay and hardcore from everything I hear. But at the same time it's waaay too hardcore to be fun (IMO).

There's a difference from open ganking and being a dick to level 1's, stealing their shit, and being a general ass to someone just starting out and not being able to defend themselves from your gank attempt.

Chemo

Max said:
You're murdered constantly? Sounds terrible.
It is. If you lay there and take it like a pussy.

If, on the other hand, you went against the odds and got your STR and DEX right, and GMed some combat skills, you could actually fight back. Nothing in gaming, ever, will be more satisfying than having a few reds roll up on you to gank you/steal your shit and then you end up killing them instead and helping yourself to all of their loot.

Reds couldn't resurrect without stat loss, either. They had to wait hours and hours to live down their murder counts before they went blue again and could safely return to the world of the living. High risk, high reward.

The game was a fucking work of art.

vic2020

Neo Member
VGChampion said:
I wish I had played this. I almost decided to once but still was "afraid" of MMO's. And it's a shame because as someone said (forget who), there will never be another game like this. Back when this was the only one, you had everyone. People who liked certain aspects but not others. These days, if you don't like something, there's another game for you to play instead.

I think Sharkey from 1up said this on one of the retronauts podcasts, maybe the episode where they talked about Phantasy Star/PSO.

Faxanadu

SpacLock said:

I remember trying out a WoW free trial a couple years back and couldn't believe how stupid it was. I mean, there's no risk involved at all. You die, you keep all of your stuff and move on. No other player's going to randomly kill you. Oh, I guess there's like PVP servers and stuff on WoW, but what's the point? What do you gain from killing another player? Nothing. Well, I guess you can walk around with your weird looking armor and think you're cool because you won some sort of lame ass battle that consisted of click 8x8 pictures scattered around the HUD. Congrats.

Back in the Ultima days you killed other people for a reason. For loot, and to be a huge dick. And that's why Ultima Online is the only MMO that has ever been worth playing.

Truth
/thread

Yuripaw

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but the title of this thread just comes off as trolling...

Your opinion is not fact, just like if I were to state my opinion, I'd say Final Fantasy XI is and was the only MMO ever worth playing, but you wouldn't agree with it I'm sure.

Name of this thread should be "My opinion: Ultima Online was the only MMO ever worth playing", or if you want to keep the word Fact in thread's title, then it would be "Fact: Ultima Online was the only MMO I ever thought was worth playing"

sangreal

Yuripaw said:

Your opinion is not fact, just like if I were to state my opinion, I'd say Final Fantasy XI is and was the only MMO ever worth playing, but you wouldn't agree with it I'm sure.

Name of this thread should be "My opinion: Ultima Online was the only MMO ever worth playing", or if you want to keep the word Fact in thread's title, then it would be "Fact: Ultima Online was the only MMO I ever thought was worth playing"
Sensitive much?

Gravijah

Yuripaw said:

this is a factzone man, no opinions allowed

SpacLock

I remember when me and my buddy used to always work together when robbing AFKers blind. People would leave their character online in town while taking a bath so they could show off their cool new clothes, but when they returned to their computer all that remained was a naked dude.

You see, stealing in Ultima was sort of like taking your garbage to the street. Once it's out of your possession it's basically public property. So, if my buddy was stealing from you and setting your items on the ground, I could pick them up from the ground without breaking any sort of law. That way when some good doer would stroll by and yell guards, my buddy would be killed, but all of the loot would be in the safety of my backpack, legally. That's what I call teamwork!

Gravijah said:
this is a factzone man, no opinions allowed

This.

Faxanadu

DeathNote said:
The things you're praising about the game should never exist in any future game that will hopefully stomp on WOW.

Well, maybe the ganking or player PK grieving but future MMO's really need to add back personal player risk. And by risk I mean losing your shit if you screw up and die.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yuripaw said:

Do you really think anyone doesn't know this? Not everything that's an opinion needs "IMO" after it.

vic2020

Neo Member
Chemo said:
It is. If you lay there and take it like a pussy.

If, on the other hand, you went against the odds and got your STR and DEX right, and GMed some combat skills, you could actually fight back. Nothing in gaming, ever, will be more satisfying than having a few reds roll up on you to gank you/steal your shit and then you end up killing them instead and helping yourself to all of their loot.

Reds couldn't resurrect without stat loss, either. They had to wait hours and hours to live down their murder counts before they went blue again and could safely return to the world of the living. High risk, high reward.

The game was a fucking work of art.

Oh my god... it's all coming back to me... it's been like a decade since I touched UO but man... 1 on 1 mage duels...

Also, I remember Lich Lords scaring the shit out of me. This was a horror game to me.

Nairume

Banned
Years ago, when I tried the game out, I rolled up a mage and was having a terrible time getting any exploring and leveling. I could never get enough funds to keep my spell regents well stocked, and I was too weak to really take on most enemies directly in combat. Then I discovered that I met the requirements for the animal taming ability. After initially trying it out on a random chicken and leveling the ability up enough, I felt confident enough to try to tame something out in the wilderness. A deer was the first thing I came across, and it fell under my command really easily. Then, curious to see if I could have more than one pet, I tried to tame another deer. It also fell under my command. So I kept going until I had an army of at least twenty deer following my every command. With my army, I was able to just walk around the wilderness and slaughter high level ogres and trolls with little effort, allowing me to finally keep a healthy supply of spell regents...which I would turn around and use on spells that would buff the attack and defense of my deer army. Eventually, I would continue to build my army until to the point that, one day, I forgot to tell them to wait outside the main city. Apparently, the server began to massively lag for anybody who was remotely nearby, resulting in the skill being massively nerfed in the following week.

Ultima Online was pretty awesome.

theultimo

Best game ever (pre-trammiel)

Very little games have such a risk nowadays (except for EVE online maybe, but it is quite boring)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
SpacLock said:
Damn! I should have added theft to the OP. Being able to steal from any character was huge.
Yep. Best part of the game. I was mostly a thief or a PK or a mix.

3-11.jpg

Was a total dick to people lol

If you remember Belan, a popular thief with Web Episodes I have the stored on my website per his permission from like 10+ years. http://askcorran.com/belan/

Also my wannabe ones here
http://askcorran.com/episodes/episode.htm

Eccocid

Try EVE op!
You can do all kind of shitty things to others!
Trick them to claim your belongings attack them take them as hostage and demand money!
Become a space pirate!

DiscoJer

The thing is, when a new open pvp/loot game comes out, no one plays it (Darkfall for instance). People would rather live in the past...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Faxanadu said:
Well, maybe the ganking or player PK grieving but future MMO's really need to add back personal player risk. And by risk I mean losing your shit if you screw up and die.
To what end?

Why not just kill the characters off completely then?

If your level 70 that you spent 4 months died for the first time by a level 100, goodbye, start over.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This game was awesome. My buddy says EVE is alright too.

Thing about UO that's great, is that it was all player driven. You want to sell something? You have to stand outside, and scream and advertise it, and then you haggled with people. I had a smith character, and I would hang out at the forge, making armour for people -and it was awesome. To play UO you had to interact with other players and really communicate. And you'd join a guild because you needed protection. So yeah, unique game, will never see its likes again, good times.

Faxanadu

DiscoJer said:
The thing is, when a new open pvp/loot game comes out, no one plays it (Darkfall for instance). People would rather live in the past...

Never heard of it. Checking it out now.

sangreal

Eccocid said:
Try EVE op!
You can do all kind of shitty things to others!
Trick them to claim your belongings attack them take them as hostage and demand money!
Become a space pirate!

I would play EVE if it weren't for the stupid real-time leveling system making it incredibly new player unfriendly. Funny, since I was in the beta back in the day

Dr.Acula

Banned
DeathNote said:
To what end?

If your level 70 that you spent 4 months died for the first time by a level 100, goodbye, start over.

lol, now I remember people losing stats when they died in UO.

Haunted

SpacLock said:

Although I didn't play it when it first came out, about 5 or 6 years ago I tried it out on a free server with all of the rules set like they were on its release (basically Detroit online) and it was one of the funnest games I have ever played, despite its out of date graphics.
This made me laugh so hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09GtnWdBjc

Chemo

DeathNote said:
To what end?

Exactly. Let's bring back PKs and looting, and ADD perma death. That's the only way we'll ever top UO.

SpacLock

DeathNote said:
To what end?

That's why you don't just stroll around with all of your good loot. You keep that shit in the bank unless you really, really need it. If you can't defend yourself then you better have your priorities straight before leaving town, because if you forgot to put that 2k gold you've been saving in the bank before leaving town and you get murdered, you deserve to have it stolen. You fucked up.

It's not like you have to start at level 1 again after dying either.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
UO was so good. I started in the Second Age maybe 1998/1999 and played the hell out of it with my friend. Used to read UO Stratics every day and plan out new characters, design my bag layouts. So many good times screwing around too.

Made some ridiculous character named Big Red Retard once and danced around in the city for money... used to steal from people's pack horses and leave custom books inside with insulting miniature stories about how I did it. Hop in and leapfrog steal the ore from miners, sneak onto someone's boat and steal the key.

GOOD STUFF THAT UO

Faxanadu

DeathNote said:
To what end?

I don't think losing an item whether it be armor, weapons or whatever is the same as killing off your entire character. You worked hard to get to level 70? Sweet. Don't screw it up or risk losing that precious sword and having to go get it again.

I don't see the point in being protected that much. It becomes boring.

Druz

My personal favorite MMO, I didn't play UO much but I respect it just as much as Asheron's Call:

derethmap_2006_08_06.png

Top Bottom