• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fact: You have never seen a skateboarder successfully land a trick in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not once. Admit it.

Every skateboarder I've come across who's attempted any sort of trick has failed EVERY SINGLE TIME.

TheMan

You're right, I've seen lots of people attempt stuff like kickflips and they ALWAYS fuck it up.

Actually I take that back. In college I had a roommate who loved to skate. One day he stuck a small coffee table on the sidewalk in front of our dorm and attempted to jump off the board, over the table, and back onto the board as it rolled under the table. He failed multiple times and a crowd gathered around him, but he finally nailed the trick and everyone clapped. The end.

jay

Once years ago one guy completed a trick and everyone else has been inspired to try based on this lore. Yet no one ever succeeds.

one time i did a kickflip and i landed it and all the girls were like omg he landed it and i was like dude i'm so awesome. the end

wtf i had a friend who was sponsored by etnies or something, and he could land tons of tricks... but he literally skated everyday for hours, like a job.

Blair

Banned
nah man when bam magera came and stayed at my house we would do like flips off of my ramps and stuff and he landed it and i was like cool then i landed it and he was like u wanna be in my new show?

Zwei

well, yeah

the tricks I've seen skateboarders do are either completely lame or when they try to get ambitious, they'll bust their ass something fierce.

MrOogieBoogie

Blair said:
nah man when bam magera came and stayed at my house we would do like flips off of my ramps and stuff and he landed it and i was like cool then i landed it and he was like u wanna be in my new show?

and u were like nah bro i gotta post on gaf and he was like nah it's cool do ur thing and u high fived him as he rode his skateboard into the sunset and then u posted on gaf bro

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The only time I've seen anyone land a trick on a skateboard was when I happened to walk by a professional photo shoot for a magazine in London. Other than that they fail every single time.

meadowrag

Banned
You must not have seen many people skateboarding.
Landing tricks - not something that rare. At all, really.

It's pretty much what everyone strives to do the moment they step foot on a board.

HiResDes

Come to my house, nollie heels with 70 percent efficiency...But if you pop up unexpectedly I'll probably be trying something new and failing every time.

aristotle

Man, kids and skaters these days must really suck. 20 years ago when I was doing it, we landed pretty much everything. SMH. Troll thread is dumb.

LegoArmo

One time I was in a train station, a guy pulled off a kick flip, and all the girls were amazed. This is the only time I've ever seen this happen, it usually ends in laughter.

I've landed quite a few tricks in my time. Don't really know why I stopped too, one day I was skateboarding for 4 hours, the other I completely stopped.

Otheradam

Haha. Union Sq in NYC a bunch of skaters there all the time. I've never seen anyone follow through on a trick. They would just attempt kick flips and not land them. I kinda get what the OP is trying to say.

MrOogieBoogie

Chuck said:
Nah, brah. I can ollie, kickflip, sex change, 50/50, boardslide, noseslide. You must not get out much.

P.S. Your threads suck.

I beg to differ, troll.

Aesthet1c

OP obviously doesn't know anything about skateboarding. I skated all through my teens and a little into my 20's. When you skate, you are always trying to progress and do something new. It takes a lot of practice. The average person probably throws hundreds of kick flips before they land their first one. Then once you get more consistent at that, you don't want to just kick flip, you want to kick flip down that flight of stairs, so then you practice that for hours and hours. It's not about landing your tricks every time, it's about progression. As a side note, does every basketball player make every basket they throw?

Jme

I've been to plenty of skate competitions/shows, also I've personally landed tricks. As have my friends. And just in general people skating at various spots in the city usually land more than they eat.

Where do you live, Arkansas?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
It just depends on the difficulty of the trick.

Most can do a simple 180.

Others attempting a backside 720 varial heel flip...not so much

Guru-Guru

Banned
I don't know, at least in my case, when I am out skating I am constantly trying to learn new tricks which usually means--at least at the start of the process--I am landing them under 5% of the time (or not at all). I don't dedicate much time to shit I already can pull off pretty easily. I could go around and just kick-flip over and over, landing them at least 90% of the time, but that's no fun...

Edit: somebody made the same point, but better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sounds like the beginning of a modern day version of "Waiting for Godot" entitled "Waiting for my fucking friend to land his ollie"

Setting: The Mall, food court entrance

Characters: 4 fourteen year olds, all wearing Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Nirvana, Slayer, Scarface, or "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" hoodies.

Old next door neighbor skated all the time. He was good. So good that I layed on the pavement and he ollied right over me. So I can't admit it but I know what you mean.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I actually hadn't really seen people skating for years but now that I've returned to college I see it all the time. In regards to people actually landing tricks, I have to admit that I've seen it on several occasions. Without a doubt you see more failures than success,but I imagine people are trying something new opposed to just doing something they already know over and over again. Hell, before I got old and fat, I could do tricks.

My friend once tried to do a kick-flip onto a rail grind at school to impress the girls. instead he fell and broke his arm and leg and got a nasty concussion, and a broken nose. A few months later he tried to jump off his roof with bis board and the board went up from under his feet and slammed into his jaw breaking most his teeth. After that he stopped skateboarding.

That's not true, actually.

Well, it was true until last week. I saw my friend complete a kick flip perfectly after three or four tries. Now, a true fact: people in basketball courts actually making a shot while you're walking/passing by. You never see this.

I have been to a local skate bowl inside one of our city parks a few times. Kids there a fairly good, they can do kickflips, grinds, manuals and some plants (albeit simple ones).

buttonsmasher

Neo Member
Mullen videos are always awesome. ALWAYS. That Mullen vs Song round one video was magic when I first saw it.
AlimNassor said:
My friend once tried to do a kick-flip onto a rail grind at school to impress the girls. instead he fell and broke his arm and leg and got a nasty concussion, and a broken nose. A few months later he tried to jump off his roof with bis board and the board went up from under his feet and slammed into his jaw breaking most his teeth. After that he stopped skateboarding.
Jesus. :lol

I don't know if I could do it now, but I used to be able to ollie and pop shove-it. I think I rode a skateboard just to keep up with my pals when they went out rather than walking/running to keep up with 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom