• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 Animator Claims Studio is Cutting Projects, Needs Funding

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm just wondering why in the heck would Matt post this on the boards instead of making an actual news story on the front page?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
charlequin said:
So how many more developers are going to have to go down like this before people start to actually believe that the industry's business model is some seriously fucked bullshit and the current tech acceleration is unsustainable?
i came to post this, basically.

blu said:
charlequin said:
So how many more developers are going to have to go down like this before people start to actually believe that the industry's business model is some seriously fucked bullshit and the current tech acceleration is unsustainable?
i came to post this, basically.
Wont happen for atleast a long time.

Bigger=better to alot of people tech wise ( to both Western devs and HD twin Fanboys) . . . and games have shit loads of "better" that they can go.

The thing is . . . if shit is costing WAY more to make and theres not WAY more people buying what you make than shit just aint on your side. People don't seem to grasp this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
But but does this mean that I'll never get a Kid Icarus game where I fly around an eggplant boss with rope to trip it?

scitek

I realize the costs of the technology needed to program a game for an HD console are high, but isn't the pressure of properly implementing motion controls into a game on the Wii almost as costly from a testing standpoint? We've seen some games use motions successfully (No More Heroes, The Godfather), but the Wii isn't without its obstacles.

scitek said:
I realize the costs of the technology needed to program a game for an HD console are high, but isn't the pressure of properly implementing motion controls into a game on the Wii almost as costly from a testing standpoint? We've seen some games use motions successfully (No More Heroes, The Godfather), but the Wii isn't without its obstacles.

Programmers and Artists get paid pretty damn good (ie high) salaries. Game testers, which they would probably use to test and figure motion controls, get paid a FRACTION of what a programmer/artist gets paid. You could hire multiple testers for what 1 programmer/artist would cost you.

We've seen some games use motions successfully (No More Heroes, The Godfather), but the Wii isn't without its obstacles.

Not the same thing.

There's a big difference between hiring more artists/programmers or spending more time and money on art and code and spending money testing controls you were going to have to test anyway.

It's diminishing returns. To get an acceptable result you have to sink in more resources, the problem is that the benefit isn't proportionate to the investment.

So KA-BOOM go smaller houses.

Log4Girlz

scitek said:

Yes, if anything is far more expensive. I can easily see most Wii games costing 20-30 million dollars to create. Or maybe not.

Dante

Shin Johnpv said:
Programmers and Artists get paid pretty damn good (ie high) salaries. Game testers, which they would probably use to test and figure motion controls, get paid a FRACTION of what a programmer/artist gets paid. You could hire multiple testers for what 1 programmer/artist would cost you.

Game testers don't implement, or design control schemes for games. They test for bugs in MOST cases.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Log4Girlz said:
Yes, if anything is far more expensive. I can easily see most Wii games costing 20-30 million dollars to create. Or maybe not.
the most expensive Wii game on record was Red Steel at 12 million, but only because it was a mad dash to make it. give a team 15 million and two years, they could create something beautiful. compare that to 35-100 million for HD games. not a fun concept...

Shiggy

doomed1 said:
the most expensive Wii game on record was Red Steel at 12 million, but only because it was a mad dash to make it. give a team 15 million and two years, they could create something beautiful. compare that to 35-100 million for HD games. not a fun concept...

I think Red Steel 2 must be even more expensive. The first version (which was for almost one year in development) was playable and then completely cancelled. Now the game is at a different team and I'd guess Ubisoft hopes it won't be as shitty as back then.
Though I must say that artwork of the cancelled RS2 looked great.

Shiggy

Just in case someone should be interested, Factor 5 had two Wii titles in development as well as the Brash game (for all three platforms). Additionally they worked on some new technology.

(And I believe the Wii game is still scheduled for a release this year, as I don't really think the entire company shut down)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can we stop pretending the "Brash game" wasnt Superman?
And the Game Republic game for Brash wasn't Kung Fu?

Other than that, it's always said to see studio's closed, I don't care how well their last title did

Shiggy

John Harker said:
Can we stop pretending the "Brash game" wasnt Superman?
And the Game Republic game for Brash wasn't Kung Fu?

Other than that, it's always said to see studio's closed, I don't care how well their last title did

Wasn't Game Republic working on Tom&Jerry?

Shiggy

According to Falafelkid the studio has not closed. They still work on both Wii games and their technology project.

So is this a character from Lair (character has a bow in his hand as well as wings)?
3242819426_57e27931c2_o.jpg

Shiggy said:
According to Falafelkid the studio has not closed. They still work on both Wii games and their technology project.

So is this a character from Lair (character has a bow in his hand as well as wings)?
Man Icarus?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Shiggy said:

The little shoulder design and stuff even look like a quasi-attempt at vaguely referencing the Brawl model. Where is this from, exactly? It looks fairly ugly, but where exactly is it from?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:

BURN IT.

Goddamnit Factor5. On one hand I fucking love your flight design and gameplay, but on the other I fucking hate designs like this and your track record with on-foot shit is weak.

What the hell is with the 80s puff mullet?

EatChildren said:
BURN IT.

Goddamnit Factor5. On one hand I fucking love your flight design and gameplay, but on the other I fucking hate designs like this and your track record with on-foot shit is weak.

What the hell is with the 80s puff mullet?

This game could take place during the 80's. don't hate.

samratty

Looks like a cross between Sting, 80's era Bowie and Brawl Kid Icarus.

Not a good combination for a 'serious' looking game character.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
timetokill said:
This game could take place during the 80's. don't hate.

Bon Jovi soundtrack?

DrForester said:
phew. I thought level 5 for a minute.

carry on.
My brain frequently wants to trip up Factor 5, Level Five, and 5th Cell.

There are infinite other numbers to use, folks!

(Tip of the hat to 8ing for not being 5ing.)

Man this is getting rough. Console war bullshit aside unless your title is a guaranteed sell (and even if it is) there is absolutely no reason to be exclusive anymore.

And two developers of huge Star Wars franchises seem to be going down. Raven next? :(

FrankT

Dark FaZe said:
Man this is getting rough. Console war bullshit aside unless your title is a guaranteed sell (and even if it is) there is absolutely no reason to be exclusive anymore.

And two developers of huge Star Wars franchises seem to be going down. Raven next? :(

Uh what?

Damn . . . thats one ugly render >_>

And that hair . . . and that camal hump . . . and that out-fit . . . and that over all design >_>

. . . . . . . I fucking hope this game was put down. Bt who knows, maybe it looks . . . better in . . . motion (-_-)

Black-Wind said:
Damn . . . thats one ugly render >_>

And that hair . . . and that camal hump . . . and that out-fit . . . and that over all design >_>

. . . . . . . I fucking hope this game was put down. Bt who knows, maybe it looks . . . better in . . . motion (-_-)
And it's also possible that they'll do other character design changes before it gets to release.

Also:

sys-kid-icarus-disk.jpg

Original character design.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I was about to post "NOOOOOO DARK CLOUD 3" then I remember its the other company with a similar name and games I've never played. Then I was like "oh ok".

Top Bottom