• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 Animator Claims Studio is Cutting Projects, Needs Funding

CamHostage

Father_Brain said:
That's a valid criticism, but it's still a long ways away from "he pulled the whole thing out of his ass," like many GAFfers baselessly asserted after the E3 no-show.

In the case of Halo, I don't think he ever suggested that it was more than a concept demo. But I could be wrong.

There's also a third possibility outside of the 'good faith prototype' (but similar) that Nintendo put out offer requests for prototypes related to this franchise to a select number of developers. That happens off and on as well. It similarly means that a game only has a tenuous chance of seeing completion but it's not outright praying for "If you build it, they will come" to be true, it's an actual contract with a small payment involved and future deal terms to be negotiated after prototyping is complete and judged for potential. A developer which prototypes on faith eats the cost if the prototype goes nowhere but they of course can also flip that technology to a new game; a developer which prototypes on contract gets paid for its small amount of work but probably will not own what it produces, assets most assuredly (assuming they're not working with a known franchise in the first place) and technology also possibly not to be retained depending on the deal.

Stumpokapow said:
No one thinks he invents things wholesale, honestly. He's clearly too well connected for that. He just... well, in an effort to share stuff with his readers (commendable) sometimes gets a little excited and stuff doesn't get conveyed with moderating language. If you run that through an "angry on the internet filter" I'm sure you get the average GAF post about him.

Nah, I think it's more about people being cocks whenever Matt says something. Based on some hatred of the guy originating from God knows where.

The whole Halo DS thing for example, was blown WAY out of proportion.

Matt deserved the shit he got for saying that KI was going to be at E3, but most of the shit that gets dumped on him is from internet know-it-alls that get rocks in their uterus for nothing.

AColdDay

I'm pretty new here, but I'll say that you guys hate on Matt way too much. He's a well meaning guy who you can trust to not harbor an anti-Nintendo attitude.

As far as that supposed KI model goes, I don't know much about game development, but I imagine that many eventually great looking games look like that in pre-beta.

Stumpokapow said:
so in other words halo ds 2 and matt still hasn't learned to distinguish between "are working on a pitch" and "are working on a game".
Halo DS was always explained as a pitch by a third-party, that he thought looked cool. He said that if he ever at the publisher's office again, he might get media for interested readers. The Internet blew it out of proportion as "HALO DS COMING, CONFIRMED" and starting bugging him about it in every podcast and e-mail until he finally got a chance to show people.

Chumly said:
Isnt the score like:

Matt - 5
GAF - 0

???

Something like that. All I know is that it wasn't 1up or Gamespot or Edge or The almighty GAF breaking The Conduit, Deadly Creatures, Cold Mountain, Kid Icarus and Halo DS. Yet somehow, Matt still can't get anything right.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Something like that. All I know is that it wasn't 1up or Gamespot or Edge or The almighty GAF breaking The Conduit, Deadly Creatures, Cold Mountain, Kid Icarus and Halo DS. Yet somehow, Matt still can't get anything right.
I'm in general agreement with you, but you can't really give Matt credit for The Conduit and Cursed Mountain. The devs approached IGN Wii for exposure.

papercut

Can we finally agree that Matt doesn't make stuff up? Of course the people who will continue to whine about him in future threads probably aren't reading this, so I guess it's all moot.

jay

The only question is why are there religions based around losers like Jesus, Mohamed and Buddha when a giant like Matt Casamassina still walks the earth.

jay said:
The only question is why are there religions based around losers like Jesus, Mohamed and Buddha when a giant like Matt Casamassina still walks the earth.
You could at least spell his name right.

EmCeeGramr said:
You mean Cursed Mountain. Unless Charles Frazier's agreed to a very belated videogame adaptation.
How would that even work? I could see it as an RPG with a few farming minigames mixed in for good measure, but I can't see it as a very compelling scenario. I can't even imagine what a Brokeback Mountain videogame adaptation would look like.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
How would that even work? I could see it as an RPG with a few farming minigames mixed in for good measure, but I can't see it as a very compelling scenario. I can't even imagine what a Brokeback Mountain videogame adaptation would look like.

It is pretty obvious that it would be a dating sim!

viciouskillersquirrel said:
With the main character/love interest getting beaten to death at the end of it? Who would buy it?
Japanese people. Just make it so that's the BAD END, and add an optional good ending if you raise your stats in time.

EmCeeGramr said:
Japanese people. Just make it so that's the BAD END, and add an optional good ending if you raise your stats in time.
I guess if the characters were anime pretty boys I could see it have an audience among those weird yowie (sp?) fangirls... and doom_bringer.

Cheerilee

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nah, I think it's more about people being cocks whenever Matt says something. Based on some hatred of the guy originating from God knows where.
Having read the guy's work for eleven years, I grew to realize that he's a self-important fanboy who cares more about his status as a "games journalist" (lol) than about journalism or about the people he reports on. I take him for what he is. A journalism school dropout with an incredible contact list.

I don't hate him. I don't really anything him anymore. The only thing that really bugged me was that he didn't/doesn't think he has any responsibility to report that he's married to the head of Nintendo's PR company, and that he actually defended that omission as his wife's right to privacy, when the guy blabs about his wife and kids on the net all the time anyways.

But that's just me.

ruby_onix said:
Having read the guy's work for eleven years, I grew to realize that he's a self-important fanboy who cares more about his status as a "games journalist" (lol) than about journalism or about the people he reports on. I take him for what he is. A journalism school dropout with an incredible contact list.

I don't hate him. I don't really anything him anymore. The only thing that really bugged me was that he didn't/doesn't think he has any responsibility to report that he's married to the head of Nintendo's PR company, and that he actually defended that omission as his wife's right to privacy, when the guy blabs about his wife and kids on the net all the time anyways.

But that's just me.

And that's well and good. I'm not saying the guy is without fault (I am not a fan of his or any other journalists "I know better than Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft" attitude to running a game site, for example) All I know (and care about, to be honest) is that Matt has broken more exclusive shit in the past two years than other sites have in their entire existences. And even then, when he shows people shit they would never have seen otherwise, forum trolls still find it within themselves to bitch and moan for God knows what reason.

Haunted

Looks like this thread has run its course, with the Matt C. discussion taking over the last page and everything.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DeaconKnowledge said:
And that's well and good. I'm not saying the guy is without fault (I am not a fan of his or any other journalists "I know better than Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft" attitude to running a game site, for example) All I know (and care about, to be honest) is that Matt has broken more exclusive shit in the past two years than other sites have in their entire existences. And even then, when he shows people shit they would never have seen otherwise, forum trolls still find it within themselves to bitch and moan for God knows what reason.

This.

Also, I'm down for that Brokeback Mountain adaptation.

Oh wait...

Turrican3

There's an update on the company website www.factor5.com (which now redirects to www.factor5.de)

In short, Factor5 USA is now officially gone, Germany operations continue.

Here's the message from CEO Achim Moller:

Achim Moller said:
We are sorry to announce the closure of the San Rafael-based Factor 5, Inc. studio, but the obstacles created by the sudden bankrupcy of Brash Entertainment for the continuation of operations have turned out too great to overcome in the current economic climate.

Factor 5 GmbH, which has been creating games since 1988 with its headquarter in Cologne, Germany, is entirely unrelated to Factor 5, Inc. and the circumstances surrounding Factor 5 Inc.'s recent challenges. Altough we are saddened by Factor 5 Inc.'s situation, our corporation will remain unaffected by these developments and has partnered with both old and nwe friends in the industry who will reveal our upcoming projects over the next months.

We would like to thank everybody on the publishing and development side who have supported us throughout the last 20 years and continue to do so. The current transition of the games industry is challenging, but as with transitions prior there is more opportunity than ever for independent development out there.

Achim Moller, CEO Factor 5 GmbH

What was Factor 5 USA responsible for/working on?

I was worried when this thread was bumped that the whole thing had gone under. So I'm both relieved but still a little concerned.

Dascu

Maybe we'll see something from them at the GamesCom in Cologne this year. It's in their hometown, after all.

Sucks for the people who may have lost their jobs, but a poor run is a poor run and you only get so many chances to stop screwing up I guess.

Turrican3

GDGF said:
So...what happens to Julian Eggebrecht ?
Interesting question... I guess we'll have to wait for further information.

Dead Man Typing said:
What was Factor 5 USA responsible for/working on?
Well, Achim Moller's profile on Linkedin explicitly refers to an unannounced Wii project, but who knows who was actually working on that: USA studios, Germany studios, both?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So they confirmed Kid Icarus flew too close to the sun.
Sorry for the people who lost their jobs :(

Akai

tahrikmili said:
Sucks for the people who may have lost their jobs, but a poor run is a poor run and you only get so many chances to stop screwing up I guess.

Rebel Strike was a sub-par game, but did it really sell poorly? If not, then it was just one game that screwed the pooch for them...

wsippel

Banned
Strange. I always thought Achim was the CEO and only employee at Factor5 Germany. The studio was at least very, very small, doing mostly R&D for Factor5 USA as far as I know. Anyway, they are working with an "old friends in the industry"? Nintendo or Lucasarts (or both)? Or did he mean actual people, like Manfred Trenz?

Azar said:
It seems unlikely they could go belly-up if they were working on a new Rogue Squadron or something in partnership with Nintendo. I hope it doesn't happen, regardless. In never played Lair, but I <3 Rogue Squadron and it would be a shame to see a bunch of talented people lose their jobs.

I always thought that the poeple that worked during the Rogue Squadron days, have all left. That's why their quality has dropped. I cannot vouch for this. But Rogue Squadron was damn good. Can someone confirm this.

farnham

Banned
oh my.. too bad for factor 5

why didnt the just release a rogue squadron IV with similar graphics to III and no foot missions

it could have sold millions

a well

Johann

the thoroughbred said:
I always thought that the poeple that worked during the Rogue Squadron days, have all left. That's why their quality has dropped. I cannot vouch for this. But Rogue Squadron was damn good. Can someone confirm this.

Most of the programmers/artists/animators/mission designers who worked on Rogue Squadron 2 worked or Lair or at the very least, Rogue Squadron 3. It also looks like a handful of people went on to work on the Eragon licensed game. I always thought their games were technically impressive but had a few problems with their lack of clear objectives in some missions. Perhaps the lack of Lucas Arts or Nintendo's help was a tremendous blow to their game quality.

I've got to wonder what would have happened to Factor 5 (or Silicon Knights) if they had stuck with Nintendo with the Wii or or if all of this was inevitable.

farnham

Banned
Johann said:
Most of the programmers/artists/animators/mission designers who worked on Rogue Squadron 2 worked or Lair or at the very least, Rogue Squadron 3. It also looks like a handful of people went on to work on the Eragon licensed game. I always thought their games were technically impressive but had a few problems with their lack of clear objectives in some missions. Perhaps the lack of Lucas Arts or Nintendo's help was a tremendous blow to their game quality.

I've got to wonder what would have happened to Factor 5 (or Silicon Knights) if they had stuck with Nintendo with the Wii or or if all of this was inevitable.
i bet we would at least have Rogue Squadron IV (RS II and III were millionsellers i think)

not sure about Eternal Darkness 2 though (since ED1s sales were bad despite its excellency)

CTLance

wsippel said:
Or did he mean actual people, like Manfred Trenz?
If Giana Sisters is anything to go by, I'm all for more "oldschool" devs hooking up again. The mere thought of that happening makes me all giddy inside.

ram

Nuclear Muffin said:
Isn't the German group their main group anyway?

they were - till factor 5 moved completly to the usa (mid-nienties or something). this is weired.

edit:

In 1994, Indiana Jones- Greatest Adventures for Super Nintendo, marked the start of a decade long collaboration with LucasArts Entertainment that changed the lives of the Factor 5 team forever. When work was finished on Star Wars Rebel Assault II for the Sony Playstation, it became clear that the developer was too far away from their publisher, LucasArts. The boys packed their bags and found a new home in San Rafael, CA, which was, up until recently, the hub of all of LucasArts’ activities.

Top Bottom