• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 reacquires Turrican license (Interview with Factor 5 founder)

I'm genuinely curious, can Switch run something like God of War 3, Uncharted 3 and GT6? these games still looks pretty damn great even now imo. if you can have that kind of visual on portable, that'd be amazing.

I really want to get Switch, but I'm waiting a year or two for the first revision since Nintendo seems to always does that with their handheld.

If a device with old gpu/cpu and 512 mb (256mb) RAM can run those games, I guess a 2017 machine with more cpu/gpu power and 8 (16) times the ram can do it too.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I gather from this that Julian has a devkit.
Hopefully he's assembling a team of wizards as we speak. Even a small indie title from these guys would be much appreciated!

Perhaps Shin'en can work together with him?

I'm genuinely curious, can Switch run something like God of War 3, Uncharted 3 and GT6? these games still looks pretty damn great even now imo. if you can have that kind of visual on portable, that'd be amazing.

I really want to get Switch, but I'm waiting a year or two for the first revision since Nintendo seems to always does that with their handheld.

Of course it can, and better than PS3 too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Without any kind of doubt. At higher resolution while docked too.

Shiggy

- Factor V Media Production GmbH renamed to Factor 5 GmbH
- legal fights in the US have ended
- Own Softgold and Rainbow Arts licenses, source code, etc.
- Plan to re-release old titles sometime in future

Factor 5 GmbH was liquidated in 2011. The company was reformed under a new name (Factor V Media Production GmbH) and now they've taken on that name again.

Why no Switch streaming apps at launch?
- OS/dev tools of Wii U were a mess - only came together 4 weeks before launch
- Switch OS and dev tools great to work with, usability on same level as PS4
- Nintendo focus on OS speed and games
- Porting streaming technology no issue, would've been ready on day 1, delay of streaming apps simply a strategic decision by Nintendo
- Nintendo is talking with streaming providers right now

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
- Factor V Media Production GmbH renamed to Factor 5 GmbH
- legal fights in the US have ended
- Own Softgold and Rainbow Arts licenses, source code, etc.
- Plan to re-release old titles sometime in future

Factor 5 GmbH was liquidated in 2011. The company was reformed under a new name (Factor V Media Production GmbH) and now they've taken on that name again.

Why no Switch streaming apps at launch?
- OS/dev tools of Wii U were a mess - only came together 4 weeks before launch
- Switch OS and dev tools great to work with, usability on same level as PS4
- Nintendo focus on OS speed and games
- Porting streaming technology no issue, would've been ready on day 1, delay of streaming apps simply a strategic decision by Nintendo
- Nintendo is talking with streaming providers right now

Well that's reassuring. I wonder if they have a web browser in the works as well

Factor 5 LIVES!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, also basically telling us what we knew about the Switch's power, but some people will still act like it's sub 360.

tzare

It can't, because nobody will port GTA 5 or similar games to Switch 😬

exactly. Maybe we will see some early ports this year but console sales will decide if these games are viable on Switch. I think nintendo should try to create their own 'western' IP to show the system is viable. I guess my phone can also handle a TLoU or GTAV port but won't receive it because people wouldn't consider play it ...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What if Nintendo delayed the video apps like they delayed MK8, to fill in the release gaps? /halfjoking

Rodin

It is probably not.
It definitely is. It doesn't run fast rmx at a higher res, with better graphics and more stable frame rate, or Zelda with vastly better performances, because of divine grace. It does because it's more powerful.

And the statement reads a lot like "it's halfway between", which is what other people have been saying and ignored by the usual armchair engineers.

tkscz

Is it closer to the Wii U, or the XBox One. Is it halfway? This doesn't really say anything substantial.

If anything, closer to the XBO than the Wii U.

The GPU is a modern asset Maxwell based GPU, while the Wii U has a 2010 based VIWL5 AMD CPU (something around the HD Radeon 4000 series) and the XBO has an GCN based mordern GPU (based on the HD Radeon 7000 series). To give a better idea, API wise, the Switch can do things on the level of DX11.1 (maybe 12, we don't know what the costume API can fully do yet), while the Wii U tops out at DX10 with some assets from DX11 (of course Nintendo can't use DX as that's a Microsoft copyrighted API).

The CPU is an ARM A57, which is much better than the GameCube based (but upgraded) IBM Power CPU the Wii U has, and even has advantages over the Jaguar CPU the XBO has.

The Switch has 4GBs of LPDDR4 RAM with 3.2GBs of it usable for games. LPDDR4 is faster and more efficient than the 2GBs (only 1GB usable) GDDR3 in the Wii U but not as fast as the 8GBs (5GB usable) GDDR5 in the XBO, but closer to XBO than Wii U.

People on GAF treat FLOPs like they are the only thing that matter, but FLOPs are no different from Bits back in the day. They give a basic measurement, but miss a lot more detail that only the architecture can give you.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, it is.

Zelda performance alone indicates that it is

It definitely is. It doesn't run fast rmx at a higher res, with better graphics and more stable frame rate, or Zelda with vastly better performances, because of divine grace. It does because it's more powerful.

And the statement reads a lot like "it's halfway between", which is what other people have been saying and ignored by the usual armchair engineers.

Sorry but this isn't something subjective. It's a fact to everyone who knows a little about the Switch design.
X1 @ 384Mhz = ~190 GFLOPS.

That is about 50% over Wii U power accounting the nVidia vs AMD flops performance.

Wii U has weaker CPU and less memory (I guess) but the GPU power is about these 50% better in Protable mode.

Edit - Seems like my clock for Swtich was wrong... fixing.

Mabase

I gather from this that Julian has a devkit.
Hopefully he's assembling a team of wizards as we speak. Even a small indie title from these guys would be much appreciated!

He mentions his team has had Switch devkits since the very beginning, to develop the video streaming apps.
What is quite an interesting tidbit: Factor 5 (in its various legal incarnations) as technically very proficient low-level developers (right now especially in video streaming), get consulted all the time by hardware manufacturers to test and give input during hardware development.

Yes. Literally better than those systems too.
Proof needed.

giphy.gif

Shiggy

He mentions his team has had Switch devkits since the very beginning, to develop the video streaming apps.
What is quite an interesting tidbit: Factor 5 (in its various legal incarnations) as technically very proficient low-level developers (right now especially in video streaming), get consulted all the time by hardware manufacturers to test and give input during hardware development.

I think the video streaming development is under the company name SmoothVOD Inc. nowadays.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There is no realistic scenario in which Switch is at 700 Gflops with FP32. Come on.

Rodin

Zelda is already technically more advanced that the linear games with little to no physics (and even fixed camera in the case of gow) you mentioned. It also implements certain effects that no other open world had last gen.

X1 @ 307Mhz = ~160 GFLOPS.

That is about Wii U power sorry.
Yeah because there totally isn't any advantage in going from VLIW5 to Maxwell and from ~DX10.1 API to Vulkan. Also fp16 is useless and the switch doesn't run the gpu at 384mhz when undocked, getting to ~190gflops (which is already more than wii u) on top of all the other advantages.

PikkonX

I think the stylized art style we've seen so far on quite a few of the current/upcoming Switch games is throwing people off on the actual capabilities of the system. I'd bet...some development team, somewhere out there, is creating your standard gray/brown/realistic game that is going to surprise quite a few people.

Mokujin

Factor 5 being alive is great news!!

Maybe one interesting bit is that he says that the final clock speeds for the gpu&cpu were finalized very close to the launch date and that nintedno could change them later on.
Also he stated that they have worked a lot with the hardware itself.

So that should mean they are looking into developing for Switch, right? Maybe an original title seems too much, but I would totally buy a Rogue Squadron/Leader remaster.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah because there totally isn't any advantage in going from VLIW5 to Maxwell and from ~DX10.1 API to Vulkan. Also fp16 is useless and the switch doesn't run the gpu at 384mhz when undocked, getting to ~190gflops on top of all the other advantages.
If the clock is 384Mhz then my bad.

Switch Portable run a bit better then Wii U... probably ~50% better.

Nowhere close to XB1.... close to Wii U.

tkscz

X1 @ 307Mhz = ~160 GFLOPS.

That is about Wii U power sorry.

Wii U has weaker CPU and less memory (I guess) but the GPU power is about the same in Protable mode.

Like I just said, FLoPs are not the best way to tell what a system is capable of anymore than Bits were back in the day. Architecture is far more important than FLoPs are and Switches Architecture is well above what the Wii U has. I laugh at anyone saying that a VIWL5 based GPU is as powerful or more powerful than a Maxwell based GPU.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think the stylized art style we've seen so far on quite a few of the current/upcoming Switch games is throwing people off on the actual capabilities of the system. I'd bet...some development team, somewhere out there, is creating your standard gray/brown/realistic game that is going to surprise quite a few people.

Isn't Xenoblade X coming?

Interfectum

Yup, for sure.

People think simply because Zelda is stylized and runs at 900p on TV mode that the Switch can't handle even basic PS3/360 ports. I'm not sure if they are just trying to temper their expectations or trolling.

Top Bottom