• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factory responsible for Wii U eDram to close within 2-3 years

wsippel

Banned
I don't see how it's a problem. Nintendo can just switch to have someone else make EDRAM. It will probably be 'slightly' different, but shouldn't have an impact.

I guess no one here knows that most consoles tend to switch various parts throughout their lifespan?
It's not that simple. IBM is probably the only other company with the expertise and technology to build such eDRAM. And while they already manufacture the Wii U CPU and also have tons of experience with MCMs, moving a GPU from CMOS to SoI is apparently no easy task. But then again, they have at least two years to make it work.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They should turn this around to work in their favor.
Announce that Wii U will be unavailable after current supply is exhausted. Then start releasing all of the big games, and announce whatever other big titles are hitting.
Wii U owners are now in an exclusive group who only have access to these games, as you can no longer buy one at a store.
Gamers start begging Nintendo to start U production again. Nintendo finally agrees after the announcement of Metroid Prime 4, Starfox Next, and FZeroU, but the price will go up because of manufacturing hurdles.
Nintendo rerelease a WiiU in late 2014 for $1,000 each, and desperate gamers buy them up to be in the exclusive Wii U club.
Nintendo posts record profits

People that suggest Nintendo should drop the Wii U needs to wake up. The Wii U already cost at lot of R&D, dropping the Wii U to make another console now would just cost more R&D, which means the new console would have to sell fucking gangbusters to make up the R&D cost of not one but TWO consoles.

Are you guys insane? They'll take the loss with the Wii U, they can, it will get the games it needs eventually and best case scenario they can make the Wii U go above Gamecube LTD numbers.

Yeah, I agree.

They'll push it until 2016. A shortened four year cycle like the original Xbox before they announce the next system. Sales are going to go up, even if they're not explosive. Mario Kart, Zelda, and the casual garbage will move systems and they'll recoup some of the R&D losses from software sales, if not make a bit of profit when everything is over.

I really don't see a huge problem here considering that they apparently have like 2 or 3 years time to figure out an alternative solution.
The situation is quite confusing though... Renesas is closing the only (?) own factory that is able to produce the WiiU's eDRAM? Wouldn't they close down older ones and/or close those that produce stuff that can also be produced in other fabs?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Given that this was announced 1 year ago, before the console was even released, I'm sure Nintendo have contingency plans in place.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Announce that Wii U will be unavailable after current supply is exhausted. Then start releasing all of the big games, and announce whatever other big titles are hitting.
Wii U owners are now in an exclusive group who only have access to these games, as you can no longer buy one at a store.
Gamers start begging Nintendo to start U production again. Nintendo finally agrees after the announcement of Metroid Prime 4, Starfox Next, and FZeroU, but the price will go up because of manufacturing hurdles.
Nintendo rerelease a WiiU in late 2014 for $1,000 each, and desperate gamers buy them up to be in the exclusive Wii U club.

You having fun over there in fantasy land?

wsippel

Banned
I really don't see a huge problem here considering that they apparently have like 2 or 3 years time to figure out an alternative solution.
The situation is quite confusing though... Renesas is closing the only (?) own factory that is able to produce the WiiU's eDRAM? Wouldn't they close down older ones and/or close those that produce stuff that can also be produced in other fabs?
Renesas had plans to get rid of all their fabs for quite some time now. TSMC supposedly has (or had) plans to buy them.

gngf123

That is a terrible idea.

If people have confirmation that support is going to be dropped, they aren't going to buy it. As it is, that's already one of the big doubts some people have over the system.

Raysoul

One question though, what other products do that company make? Or are they exclusively creating eDrams for the Wii U?

edited

Is it possible, details on the eDRAM may slip out a couple years from now. This confirms FourthStorm was wrong about Renesas fabbing the GPU and eDRAM.

Buy the factory. Let them make wii pads and 3ds's.

I remember Gaf or beyond3d members paying for a an X-ray of the edram to figure more about it. Trying to count how many Mb it might have.

It has always been a key component on Nintendo doing someone saucy.

so apparantly nintendo already announced that they will use TSMC to produce the parts from now on. also 3 of the 5 factories of the current subcontractor (renesas) will still be producing parts

http://www.nikkei.com/markets/compa...2E2E28E969C8A8EE1E1E4EAB3E1E3EAF2F2F2F2F2F2E2

i dont get how restructuring of a nintendo subcontractors is considered nintendoom (especially since nintendo is an independant company to renesas) but well..

That's the end of that.

Jackano

That hybrid nonsense needs to die. It's not going to happen, at least not within the next decade.

The crazy thing is that in the next sentence Iwata made after talking about the hardware teams merging, is that this doesn't mean the hardwares themselves will merge into an hybrid thing. But people and journalists keep reporting the first part only, some on purpose, some because of incompetence, some on second-hand misunderstanding.

Raysoul

so apparantly nintendo already announced that they will use TSMC to produce the parts from now on. also 3 of the 5 factories of the current subcontractor (renesas) will still be producing parts

http://www.nikkei.com/markets/compa...2E2E28E969C8A8EE1E1E4EAB3E1E3EAF2F2F2F2F2F2E2

i dont get how restructuring of a nintendo subcontractors is considered nintendoom (especially since nintendo is an independant company to renesas) but well..

Nintendoomed thread denied.

allan-bh

I don't find Nintendo in this news.

Colonel

Neo Member
Smart business plan there. Buy a factory thats losing money to manufacture parts for your system thats losing money.

Whos to say they have to manufacture parts just for there own system! they could manufacture edram for other companys.

fewer fabrics = more expensive parts

That are bad news after all.

JawzPause

The day this happens will be the day there's a female president.... in Iraq

Would that be a good investment? I'm sure Nintendo is losing enough with the Wii U as it is...
If WiiU demand is not high they could make components for people to minimise the losses. I dunno, seems like a more secure option than having to rely on someone else and if the factory is closing anyway it might be affordable.

wrowa

2-3 years is, ironically enough, the same amount of time that will pass until Nintendo will release the Wii U's successor.

Damn, now Nintendo will have to upgrade it.

The eDRAM in the Wii U is actually one of the few really capable parts of the console.

I'm trying to understand what the significance of this is. Or is this another opportunity for schadenfreude?

Given this:

...it's not significant at all, once we got further clarification.

Maybe the end result will be that it's slightly more expensive to manufacture the Wii U, but that's about it. Nintendo can re-orient itself accordingly.

BlackJace

Given this:

Maybe the end result will be that it's slightly more expensive to manufacture the Wii U, but that's about it. Nintendo can re-orient itself accordingly.

Ah thank you, eh, Iwata probably isn't going to meet his goal anyway.

I can't find the quote at the moment, but (if it means anything) Iwata himself said that the merging of their two divisions just means faster output and less lag time. Not towards a singular device.

he also said that it means that they might be able to make more than two platforms at a time through the restructuring they did

i guess it was in the QnA of the FY 2012 report .. must have been in april

I don't find Nintendo in this news.

i think i should rectify

the article says that TSMC will be a subcontractor to renesace.

renesace wants to focus on the automotive business as it seems.

nintendo could just use renesace as a middle man to get their parts from TSMC (as sub-subcontractor)

or could directly get the parts from TSMC.

TSMC seems to be quite a big taiwanese manufacturer.

following is the babelfished article i posted
The 2nd, Renesas Electronics has announced a restructuring plan that included the closure of two plants Tsuruoka plant of main (such as Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture). The company has 14 factories in the country, but together with the plan announced in July last year, to close within three years the five plants total. "Often base and people still" as (Hisao Sakuta chairman), suggesting the possibility of further restructuring. To reduce the production capacity of consumer electronics semiconductor, and to concentrate management resources on the automotive semiconductor and industrial equipment there.

Tsurumaru Tetsuya president the same day , the press conference in Tokyo said, " a strong structural reform is essential ," said to improve profitability. Tsuruoka plant dealing with ( large-scale integrated circuit ) for game consoles a system LSI, Kofu plant to produce power semiconductors for PC this time , become a closed object to new (Yamanashi Kai city). I also close part of line ( Otsu ) Shiga factory. To form a circuit of semiconductor both a " pre-process " factory.
Renesas had announced plans to reduce sequentially factory in 18 locations in July 2012. The sale of the four plants so far. Currently, the subject to close the factory now the company has it's closed five plants, some lines it is two plants. It is expected to close within three years at the latest either. In addition to about 2700 people who work in a closed factory line to relocation, to recruit the early retirees.

In addition to aggregate to other plants of Renesas and delegate Taiwan product body path manufacturing semiconductor contract manufacturing companies ( foundries ) largest , etc. (TSMC) the products to be produced in the factory line to close It is thought to be more competitive by reducing the production base management costly and divert management resources in the design and development However , the effect on revenue of the series of structural reforms were not disclosed.
 Was closed for game machines and equipment for electronics Center; I think excellent selection of businesses with leading-edge technologies, automotive products and energy-saving technologies in industrial applications, such as, "strong technology focuses on going" (sakuta Chairman). Also advancing Asian and emerging customers and cultivating. Sakuta Chairman said resolutions 'must be globally will survive"for customers.

Such as delay of rationalization, ended March 31, '13 to fell the final deficit in the eighth consecutive, including the predecessor company Renesas. Operating income was (deficit of 17.6 billion yen the same period of the previous fiscal year) surplus of 9.7 billion yen the April-June period consolidated financial statements in '13, which was announced two days. Has secured the operating profit in two consecutive quarters following the January to March period by profitability improved in the weak yen, but the extraordinary loss due to the withdrawal from the mobile phone system LSI has occurred. Bottom line was the (deficit of 20.7 billion yen the same period of the previous fiscal year) deficit of 3.9 billion yen.

Sales in April-June period 199 billion yen of 7% year-on-year. It was a decrease in effect is about 19 billion yen pushes up the effect of the depreciation of the yen, but the "focus areas, such as microcomputer has secured a slight increase from the flat in the result of the narrowing down of the business" and (Tsurumaru Tetsuya president). Renesas has decided not to disclose the earnings forecast for the fiscal year ended March 31, '14, but I was only disclosed expected April-September period in '13 on the second day. 408 billion yen of flat, (deficit of 23.3 billion yen the same period of the previous fiscal year) surplus of 14 billion yen, bottom line prospects (deficit of the 115 billion yen) deficit of 40 billion yen and operating income sales.

Given this:

Or it's the shape of things to come and other suppliers who were anticipating heavy contracts from Nintendo have to re-orient themselves due to the lacklustre sales. /speculation

KAL2006

Banned

First of all a handheld stoll needs to be small, cam you pack enough power to something as small. Secondly handhelds use cartridges and not disks due to bulky size and battery life. If we had console quality games, we would need 8GB cartridges at minimum which is expensive.

Duallusion

I see:/ Thanks for the replies. It seemed to me like such a good idea for them to either make a hybrid or a handheld/console duo that play the same games.

Oh, sorry, off-topic: Wii U DOOMED!!1!

Top Bottom