• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And the GDC award is wrong is it? Mate best tech award at the Game developer's awards is highly coveted. Literally developers praising their peers for excellence within their field. Look at the games it beat to win best tech.....now go take a break before you say something really stupid.

So tell me, what kind of stupid things did i said? What is the definition of best tech?

You are staring purely at a GDC award, because MS has nothing else in the list and the rest is all dominated by Sony.

I'm not comparing FS to a traditional game, because it focuses purely on a single thing. The technology is impressive, but there are only a few things that stand out and the rest is nothing special. Planes look good and the clouds plus weather effects. As for what you see on the ground it depends on your settings.

For the rest FS is a pure static game. Compare it with other flight sim games already available instead with a totally different game like R&C....

Last edited:
Not gona lie bro this look like a pixar movie amazing👍
Pixar tends to take a more artistic tone in the materials, making them slightly less realistic, so as not to creep or freak people out by it looking exactly like real toys(MMD videos on youtube ignore that line, and try to make it like living plastic.), many of the materials in Ratchet have PBR making them more like reality, like actual physical things from the real world.(in ratchet it looks like actual toys from a real boy's house)

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
What part exactly is "nothing compared to Flight Sim". The lack of photo realism and real time clouds in R&C? How about the complete lack of animation in Flight Sim then?

Silly comparison.
One is linear and cartoony, and the other is photorealistic 98% of the time and the entire earth with dynamic world events(ie' weather ect.)

I think most consumers who see both for the first time will be much more impressed with MSFS 2020 visually.

I can see there is room for debate because they are both so different, but if I showed MSFS to anyone I know I can guarantee it will get more of a ,"Holy shit!" response. Ratchet not so much.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
I have been gaming a very long time. I have been through many generations and remember being promised Toy story level graphics many moons ago. .

Playing R&C A Rift apart (especially with a good hdr tv) is an unreal experience. Cranking the game into Fidelity mode makes toy story seem very primitive today. It actually feels and looks like playing a pixar movie. It gets my vote because the game is just an amazing achievement. In my eyes this is the new graphics king by a pretty big margin. I know guys came come on here with their $1200+ rigs saying they can push X games at X frames per second. Fuck all that. AT 30FPS IT"S AMAZING!

The Ray Tracing mode at 60FPS may still be the best looking game to date!
I can't vote but I don't think it's the best looking game.
It looks nice and has spectacular moments.

I reckon RDR2 and Ghost of Tsushima are both better looking games. Probably Demon's Souls too.

So we can finally agree, that TLOU2 has the best story in a video game, right? I mean, devs are saying that, so it must be true.

Also funny that you are omitting the fact, that GoT actually won Best Visual Arts....
TLOU2 stands tall and is one of the best games (and Story) last generation. I haven't played GoT but it's striking visually.

Topher

Gold Member
Only if you are PS fanboy. For normal gamers, Flight Sim is technically best looking game or experience out there

Having a different opinion on game aesthetics makes you a fanboy while "normal gamers" agree with you?

Brady Bunch K GIF
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Either way, FS is not "technically best looking". It is technically impressive, no doubt. Best looking is entirely subjective regardless of how much tech is involved.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Having a different opinion on game aesthetics makes you a fanboy while "normal gamers" agree with you?

Brady Bunch K GIF
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Either way, FS is not "technically best looking". It is technically impressive, no doubt. Best looking is entirely subjective regardless of how much tech is involved.

FS looks great from a few thousand feet in the air and how well the planes are modeled but land and look around at buildings

Its amazing what FS does but come on

phil_t98

#SonyToo
FS looks great from a few thousand feet in the air and how well the planes are modeled but land and look around at buildings

Different types of games really, one is trying too create fuzzy looking characters and a make believe world which it does amazingly and another is creating our real world as realistically as possible and does an amazing job. Both are as good as each other but hard to compare because of differing genres and what they do

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Different types of games really, one is trying too create fuzzy looking characters and a make believe world which it doesn’t amazingly and another is creating our real world as realistically as possible and does an amazing job. Both are as good as each other but hard to compare because of differing genres and what they do

These 2 games couldnt be further apart in what they are doing and in all honesty to even be having this conversation speaks volumes as to the tech behind Flight Sim

phil_t98

#SonyToo
These 2 games couldnt be further apart in what they are doing and in all honesty to even be having this conversation speaks volumes as to the tech behind Flight Sim

If there was a fuzzy character simulator then ratchet would win it, with Microsoft flight sim the whole thing is made to look like a realistic as possible and for the most part succeeds. Yeah when you go close to the buildings it does look not as good but its only as realistic as todays mapping software is, its not the game that’s the problem its the data it can access from the mapping software tech

Stuart360

They are very different kind of games,as some people are saying.
To save on the warring i'll say Flight Sim is by far the most resalistic looking game yet, and Ratchet and Clank is by far the best looking cartoony/Pixar style game yet.

2 very different type of games, doing very different things.

Flight Sim is the best looking game yet for me, but not everyone wants total realism in their games (although photorealism works with a game like FS onviously). So yeah i wont have a problem with people preffering R&C, even if there is a bit of platform preference involved. :messenger_beaming:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Only if you are PS fan. For normal gamers, Flight Sim is technically best looking game or experience out there
When it comes to fun factor i gave flight sim 2/10

Seriously for me that is like the most boring game ever bro ( aside from truck simulator game i tried couple years ago)

Almost feel asleep after just an hour no offence

Last edited:

Braag

Hard to say as I've not played all of the higher end stuff to compare it to. Screenshots usually don't do any game justice.
On PC I was blown away by Flight Sim, CP2077 and RDR2 with all bells and whistles maxed out. But even then it's hard to say if any one game is "the best looking game" cause it's kinda subjective if you're talking about art style or purely on a technical level.

Shmunter

General cohesion and polish come into it for me. Watching IGN S vs X Flight sim footage and things like geometry LOD on snowy mountains popping so blatantly simply puts it out of consideration.

It’s a spectacular looking game, but if consistency is not there it’s simply not in the running next to polish upon polish upon polish.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
When it comes to fun factor i gave flight sim 2/10

Seriously for me that is like the most boring game ever bro ( aside from truck simulator game i tried couple years ago)

Almost feel asleep after just an hour no offence
Have you played it?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Fair enough, each to their own. I haven’t played it yet myself. Will do when its out later, not all games are to everybody’s taste. Me personally I didn’t like god of war, found it boring but that’s just me. Looked awesome though

Stuart360

General cohesion and polish come into it for me. Watching IGN S vs X Flight sim footage and things like geometry LOD on snowy mountains popping so blatantly simply puts it out of consideration.

It’s a spectacular looking game, but if consistency is not there it’s simply not in the running next to polish upon polish upon polish.
There isnt a game available now, on any time soon, that wont have LOD issues. Especially when you are talking about a game witha draw distance of 10+ miles.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Can you name another open world game with so much detail that doesn’t have pop in? That you can see miles and miles into the distance

Stuart360

Platform preference is involved with R&C but not FS?
Hey i'm trying to be progmatic to cut out the warring.
Put FS as PS5 exclusive, and Ratchet as Xbox exclusive, and we all know what people on here would be saying.

Plus like i said, there are some people who prefer more cartoony art styles over photorealism in their games, and thats their right.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Put FS as PS5 exclusive, and Ratchet as Xbox exclusive, and we all know what people on here would be saying.
Thats picky from you

If youre doing it that way ( flight simulator on ps5 and rachet on xbox ) id still prefered rachet on xbox

Im really not a fan of simulator game or any game that require you to do mundane activity like harvest moon/ the sims/ truck simulator etc thats just how it is man

Last edited:
I love how for Flight Sim, people forgot that all videogames are made to look good from the vantage point/camera you're intended to play from.

"..it only looks as good as it does from the height you're flying at.."

Yeah no shit.
It's not called Driving (or Walking) Sim.

Seriously, where were you guys when Polyphony had you zipping past perpostorous 2-dimensional trees in Gran Turismo Sport?
Those were 15 feet away from the intended vantage point in a game many people feel is one of the best looking games last gen.
But people are talking about dodgy assets intended to be seen from literally 1000 meters away in Flight Sim?

What are you guys doing here?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wel thats cool and all but we are talking about graphics here, not gameplay.
Understood but i dont like what youre saying here :

"Put FS as PS5 exclusive, and Ratchet as Xbox exclusive, and we all know what people on here would be saying."

I hope you understand that

Last edited:

Stuart360

I love how for Flight Sim, people forgot that all videogames are made to look good from the vantage point/camera you're intended to play from.

"..it only looks as good as it does from the height you're flying at.."

Yeah no shit.
It's not called Driving (or Walking) Sim.

Seriously, where were you guys when Polyphony had you zipping past perpostorous 2-dimensional trees in Gran Turismo Sport?
Those were 15 feet away from the intended vantage point in a game many people feel is one of the best looking games last gen.
But people are talking about dodgy assets intended to be seen from literally 1000 meters away in Flight Sim?

What are you guys doing here?
The thing is its not even really true. Its more to do with the quality of Bing maps for a paticular area, and the quality of your internet (and hardware obviosuly).
You spend a few mins caching an area before launching into that area, then come back and say it breaks up at low level. A lot of places, especially in the US , still look surprisingly detailed, even when you are a few feet over an area.

FS is certainly far and away above all past flying related games, where you would foly low to ground level and the textures and assets would change into something even N64 would laugh at lol.

Shmunter

There isnt a game available now, on any time soon, that wont have LOD issues. Especially when you are talking about a game witha draw distance of 10+ miles.

Can you name another open world game with so much detail that doesn’t have pop in? That you can see miles and miles into the distance

I’m not referring to general pop in we’re accustomed to seeing off in the distances. It’s a mountain range warping and changing shape right in front of the plane. Obviously this is just one area and the entire game is not subject to this effect.

But I’ll come back to the general cohesion of things required to achieve the lofty highs of being crowned the best. A game for example doesn’t get GOTY if the gameplay is ass but everything else is stellar. Similarly i cannot see something looking the ‘best’ if it brings a sway of obvious visual defects as part of the package.

Anyway, that’s the way I see it.

sainraja

Plus like i said, there are some people who prefer more cartoony art styles over photorealism in their games, and thats their right.
Not sure how you are being pragmatic when 'bias' exists on both sides of the spectrum. Some people here are playing up FS simply because it's on Xbox. I think you may have showed your own bias a little bit by only pointing out platform preference when referring to those who might say Ratchet (basically a way for you to discount the opinion of anyone who states the opposite of your own opinion.) If you are going to argue that you're not bias, then simply sticking with your original statement minus the platform comment would have been sufficient.

Basically you tried to be neutral but couldn't help yourself and say what you really kinda wanted to say.

BigLee74

And other games from a few thousand feet in the air look like....a black void with a few pixels in the middle? What’s your point? It’s how it’s designed to be played.

Anyway, RDR2 is a better looking game than R&C. We don’t even need to look at newer games.

Stuart360

Not sure how you are being pragmatic when 'bias' exists on both sides of the spectrum. Some people here are playing up FS simply because it's on Xbox. I think you may have showed your own bias a little bit by only pointing out platform preference when referring to those who might say Ratchet (basically a way for you to discount the opinion of anyone who states the opposite of your own opinion.) If you are going to argue that you're not bias, then simply sticking with your original statement minus the platform comment would have been sufficient.

Basically you tried to be neutral but couldn't help yourself and say what you really kinda wanted to say.
No i was trying to be progmatic in my orig post. The post you quoted was a reply.
If you read my orig post you will see i already said FS is better looking for me. I'm not trying to hide any bias there.
There just are genuinely some people who prefer their game to not be photorealistic, and thats all cool by me.

sainraja

No i was trying to be progmatic in my orig post. The post you quoted was a reply.
If you read my orig post you will see i already said FS is better looking for me. I'm not trying to hide any bias there.
There just are genuinely some people who prefer their game to not be photorealistic, and thats all cool by me.
And my response was referencing your original post (the post I quoted, where you mention being pragmatic, is what I am trying to address which is all in reference to what you originally said, not sure why that's not clear?):
Flight Sim is the best looking game yet for me, but not everyone wants total realism in their games (although photorealism works with a game like FS onviously). So yeah i wont have a problem with people preffering R&C, even if there is a bit of platform preference involved. :messenger_beaming:
If you were being pragmatic, you would have acknowledged platform preference on both sides or not mentioned it at all. Both sides do it, but you only felt the need to call out one, therefore, showing your own bias. Just as there might be people saying Ratchet because of "platform", there are those saying FS because of "platform".

Last edited:

Stuart360

And my response was referencing your original post (the post I quoted, where you mention being pragmatic, is what I am trying to address which is all in reference to what you originally said, not sure why that's not clear?):

If you were being pragmatic, you would have acknowledged platform preference on both sides or not mentioned it at all. Both sides do it, but you only felt the need to call out one, therefore, showing your own bias. Just as there might be people saying Ratchet because of "platform", there are those saying FS because of "platform".
Well i was 90% progmatic. I'm not perfect.

200w.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I'm not getting this FS vs R&C comparison. Both look great but different. Flight Sim is heavily assisted by high speed internet and Bing Maps servers (Microsoft). It's a new type of game/sim design that we might see a game made on Mars, Moon and other planets/moons by Google in the future that get generic procedurally generated details when you get closer using AI.

R&C looks much better indeed, but FS2020 is a technical showcase and a much complicated design to any game or semi-game/sim right now. The Crew game could find this useful, we might see the next Forza Horizon using parts of the world based on Bing Maps then procedurally generated. Ace Combat could benefit from that, politics aside.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I'm just going to say that this generation we're in for a treat if these "launch" games are looking this great.

Top Bottom