• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom officially announces: Brandish - Dark Revenant for PSP!

2lcpie8.jpg

:O

Aeana

c20081201_blan_10_cs1w1_480x272.jpg

Probably the most interesting of the bunch. In addition to auto-mapping, the game also actually has a map editor.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aeana said:
Probably the most interesting of the bunch. In addition to auto-mapping, the game also actually has a map editor.

I fully support the addition of map editors to games of all genres. Viva Falcom.

ToastyFrog said:
This interests me! But only if it involves awkwardly spinning the entire dungeon whenever you turn left or right. It just wouldn't be Brandish without that sort of obtrusive design philosophy.

Haha, I knew this post was yours before my eyes panned toward the username, Parish.

So for those in the know, is this is a brand new series entry? The Falcom completist geek in me wants to see remakes of all former entries.

Aeana

cartman414 said:
Haha, I knew this post was yours before my eyes panned toward the username, Parish.

So for those in the know, is this is a brand new series entry? The Falcom completist geek in me wants to see remakes of all former entries.

It's a remake of Brandish 1.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
cartman414 said:
Haha, I knew this post was yours before my eyes panned toward the username, Parish..
Despite the sarcasm, I really do like Brandish. I imagine this version will smooth over the rough edges and might even be downright lovable.

ToastyFrog said:
Despite the sarcasm, I really do like Brandish. I imagine this version will smooth over the rough edges and might even be downright lovable.

Brandish is one of the best SFC games, as far as I'm concerned. It's already lovable. But now the fact it is 'natively' 3D should help others see its brilliance.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Dragona Akehi said:
Brandish is one of the best SFC games, as far as I'm concerned. It's already lovable. But now the fact it is 'natively' 3D should help others see its brilliance.
I feel like Brandish was a good game thwarted by its own gimmick (I volunteered to write a screed on the game for the GIA only to realize once I started playing that I enjoyed it), but The Planet Buster was much better. I'm still bummed it never came to the U.S. -- hopefully that'll get a remake and a localization as well.

ToastyFrog said:
I feel like Brandish was a good game thwarted by its own gimmick (I volunteered to write a screed on the game for the GIA only to realize once I started playing that I enjoyed it), but The Planet Buster was much better. I'm still bummed it never came to the U.S. -- hopefully that'll get a remake and a localization as well.

I never unfortunately had a chance to buy The Planet Buster, and that still shames me to this day.

Brandish is one of the few games (console or PC) where I truly felt I was the hero (despite the avatar being male) and being entirely immersed into a lonely, desolate dungeon. I wasn't even sure there was a way out when I first played it!

Really hoping this gets picked up. Hint Mastiff, XSEED, Atlus.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's alright. Mages don't need to wear a lot of clothing. It uh... interferes with the channeling of their natural energies. Or something.

Especially female mages.

;p

Aeana

Planet Buster is great, but Spirit of Balcan is and will always be my favorite. That's the one I'd love to have on a portable.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Reading up on the series... it seems like this is not Brandish 5. Is it a remake of one of the older games? I know that Brandish 4 changed up the gameplay significantly and basically dropped the old characters. Ares and Dora are pretty much the original two characters, no?

Mejilan said:
Reading up on the series... it seems like this is not Brandish 5. Is it a remake of one of the older games? I know that Brandish 4 changed up the gameplay significantly and basically dropped the old characters. Ares and Dora are pretty much the original two characters, no?

Remake of the first game. As said many times in the thread. You're really having a problem with reading comprehension today aincha? :p

Aeana said:
Planet Buster is great, but Spirit of Balcan is and will always be my favorite. That's the one I'd love to have on a portable.

How do you play the 3rd game? I'm not asking where to find it, cause I once found the game, but I couldn't get it to work. Or did you really buy it?

Aeana

Cow Mengde said:
How do you play the 3rd game? I'm not asking where to find it, cause I once found the game, but I couldn't get it to work. Or did you really buy it?

I own it, though I haven't played it in a long time. Not since my PC98 laptop was lost in a move. There are great PC98 emulators, though. I've used one to play Popful Mail PC98 and Emerald Dragon PC98. I don't know how well Brandish 3 works in said emulators, though.

robot

Takes me back to a game that had an awesome cover and was clearly way too difficult for my younger, impatient self. Looking forward to another round of ass kicking!

MrDaravon

I always wanted to play Brandish back in the day on SNES :(

Would be totally interested in this if it comes to the states.

gururoji

Dragona Akehi said:
Hmmm I suppose you could think of it like that, but it isn't really a roguelike in the traditional sense. You don't have to eat to maintain yourself, and you don't get kicked to the beginning of the dungeon when you die (back to your last save). A better way to think of it is an action-y-single-person-party EO game, if you're wanting to draw comparisons. Lots of loot, amazing level design.

OK, you got my interest with the EO reference . Maybe I'll eventually have to turn on my PSP again for this one.

gururoji said:
OK, you got my interest with the EO reference.

That's unfortunate, because it's probably the least accurate part of her description.

Well, aside from the loot bit. There's plenty of loot to pick up (and you'll need to, if you ever want to afford the spells), but barely any enemies dropping loot at all. I can't remember how it is in the first game, but I'm pretty sure only one enemy drops items in Brandish 2 SFC.

dark steve said:
That's unfortunate, because it's probably the least accurate part of her description.

Well, aside from the loot bit. There's plenty of loot to pick up (and you'll need to, if you ever want to afford the spells), but barely any enemies dropping loot at all. I can't remember how it is in the first game, but I'm pretty sure only one enemy drops items in Brandish 2 SFC.

I'm not talking about enemy drops, but rather the atmosphere of the game. It's one big dungeon (like EO), where the game is tough as balls (like EO), there's an arseload of things to fight and explore (like EO) and the game likes to rape your ass with traps that don't always look like traps (like EO).

Brandish was definitely the kind of feel (along with Wizardry) that the EO team was going for.

duckroll

Hmmmmmm, the site address says br1_psp, which is interesting. Even though it IS a remake of Brandish 1, you would think that if this is a one off thing they would just use br_psp or whatever. I wonder if this means more remakes are coming...

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This looks good. I'll definitely import it if it's playable with a translation guide. A US release is too much to hope for.

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm not talking about enemy drops, but rather the atmosphere of the game. It's one big dungeon (like EO), where the game is tough as balls (like EO), there's an arseload of things to fight and explore (like EO) and the game likes to rape your ass with traps that don't always look like traps (like EO).

Brandish was definitely the kind of feel (along with Wizardry) that the EO team was going for.

Well, I still feel it's a deceptive way to describe the game, but I don't think the point is worth arguing.

I love how smooth the game looks in motion. It looks more like a clockwork puzzle-RPG than the clumsy action-RPG the original was (I'm not saying it plays different, just that it looks different).

Wasn't expecting the violin to kick in during Ending 2 like that, but I guess I'm more used to this arrangement by Earth Japan.

Wehrwolf

Looks good, but what's with releasing it 9 days before DQ9... So much for this series revival. ;_;

Oh well, 1 more Brandish is better than none.

Top Bottom