• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not official otherwise ME-tan would be the winner.

Poor 3DS, its mascot is gone. :(

lyAYWU8.jpg

I really enjoyed all that sweater-puppy art too, RIP.

Tenumi

Banned
That show starts with all parties forming an alliance pact and they are all more or less friends. Does that sound like Gaming Side to you?

I know me bringing up the show I'm about to bring up is getting a bit tiring at this point but I'd say Kill Me Baby is more apt. The characters don't represent one party (I'm referring to console fans k) specifically, more the nature of how they all interact with each other. Yosuna is the one who says something purposefully idiotic to get a rise out of Sonya, i.e. PS3 has no games. So of course Sonya lashes back and Yosuna explains how it was only a joke. And this goes back and forth. While this is going on Agiri slips in, drops a bomb and sneaks off again while the other two are caught in the blast. Far more apt.

I will watch Kill Me Baby sometime... On my endless backlog of anime...

My zombie desktop is having some troubles with playing anime right now, hence a slowdown in posts from me. Utena must of killed off what it had left to give...

jman2050

I would say that many things in anime, movies, books, etc all have something conveniently happening. It's why they're interesting otherwise they would be sort of... boring, yeah?

Nope, not buying this. You can have a 18th century period piece where the hero saves the day/gets the girl and then aliens invade in the final 30 seconds killing everyone and it still wouldn't be as brazen as what Geass 22 did.
It's not "something bad happens out of nowhere". That wouldn't be interesting nor worthy of remark at all. The Geass writers literally put forth a situation that can not happen. I don't mean it's unlikely to happen, I mean it cannot happen, it's an impossibility that only occurs because it's a fictional story and the writers have the power to make it happen. No attempt is made to explain why it happened, how it happened, what circumstances led to the events that set it in motion, and there's no implicit thought of "well I guess that's possible" because it isn't. Lelouch says the one thing he absolutely would never ever ever say in that situation and it also happens to be the single worst thing he could have said in that situation but at the same time the only reason it's the single worst thing he could have said in that situation is because he loses control of his Geass at the same time because shut up. It's like if Romeo and Juliet ended with Romeo realizing that Juliet was faking, then holding the knife over her motionless body for no other reason than he felt like it, followed by a sudden earthquake that causes him to drop the knife onto her heart killing her instantly. Oh, of course they'd need to add a scene earlier that establishes that earthquakes are a somewhat frequent occurrence in Verona or else there would be no foreshadowing! (I wish we had a :rolleyes smiley...)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still glad they did it because it signaled to me that I should never ever take anything in Code Geass seriously, a change in perspective that greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the series from then on, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Kill la Kill 6

NUUUUUUDDDDDISTTTTT BEACHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This was pretty fucking epic and honestly a lot less ADHD-paced, which I'm not sure if I like or not. Love that little twist though. They way they're treating the main villains is awesome.

EDIT: MAKO EPISODE NEXT WEEK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mr.Jeff

Well thats disappointing but if it has that much Kurisu in it then Im game!
Well at numerous points through the first half I was thinking "Cajun will be all over this" so I'd say it'll be a good fit.

Really, the most frustrating thing about it is that it had the potential to be a great mini series but it's stymied by its shortness and ridiculous hand-waving ending of "And then it was all happiness again".

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nope, not buying this. You can have a 18th century period piece where the hero saves the day/gets the girl and then aliens invade in the final 30 seconds killing everyone and it still wouldn't be as brazen as what Geass 22 did.
It's not "something bad happens out of nowhere". That wouldn't be interesting nor worthy of remark at all. The Geass writers literally put forth a situation that can not happen. I don't mean it's unlikely to happen, I mean it cannot happen, it's an impossibility that only occurs because it's a fictional story and the writers have the power to make it happen. No attempt is made to explain why it happened, how it happened, what circumstances led to the events that set it in motion, and there's no implicit thought of "well I guess that's possible" because it isn't. Lelouch says the one thing he absolutely would never ever ever say in that situation and it also happens to be the single worst thing he could have said in that situation but at the same time the only reason it's the single worst thing he could have said in that situation is because he loses control of his Geass at the same time because shut up. It's like if Romeo and Juliet ended with Romeo realizing that Juliet was faking, then holding the knife over her motionless body for no other reason than he felt like it, followed by a sudden earthquake that causes him to drop the knife onto her heart killing her instantly. Oh, of course they'd need to add a scene earlier that establishes that earthquakes are a somewhat frequent occurrence in Verona or else there would be no foreshadowing! (I wish we had a :rolleyes smiley...)

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm still glad they did it because it signaled to me that I should never ever take anything in Code Geass seriously, a change in perspective that greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the series from then on, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

The first example you give is a bit reaching. It wouldn't be worse just because of how out of place that example would be in terms of setting and consistency of the narrative throughout the entirety of the novel. Having said that, I feel like it's a tad overreactive to say everything that happens in that situation is completely unrealistic and something that would never happen. Maybe it's because you have hard time believing that it's actually possible or not. Regardless of what the reason is, it happened and it was explained to the best of the writer's ability whether it be Lelouch being emotionally unstable all the time, him being a joker, the Geass powers going out of control, etc. There are explanations in the confines of the narrative. You don't like it? Then I can't do anything. To brazenly say what you did is exaggerative and I feel like you're looking through an extremely biased perspective. What that may be, I don't know.

cajunator

Banned
Well at numerous points through the first half I was thinking "Cajun will be all over this" so I'd say it'll be a good fit.

Really, the most frustrating thing about it is that it had the potential to be a great mini series but it's stymied by its shortness and ridiculous hand-waving ending of "And then it was all happiness again".

Sounds pretty good if you think I would enjoy it.
You refer to the movie right?

Hattori

Banned
Kill la Kill 6
That was intense, not much Mako but Satsuki more than made up for her absence. Can't wait for the glorious Mako episode next week x)

jman2050

The first example you give is a bit reaching. It wouldn't be worse just because of how out of place that example would be in terms of setting and consistency of the narrative throughout the entirety of the novel. Having said that, I feel like it's a tad overreactive to say everything that happens in that situation is completely unrealistic and something that would never happen. Maybe it's because you have hard time believing that it's actually possible or not. Regardless of what the reason is, it happened and it was explained to the best of the writer's ability whether it be Lelouch being emotionally unstable all the time, him being a joker, the Geass powers going out of control, etc. There are explanations in the confines of the narrative. You don't like it? Then I can't do anything. To brazenly say what you did is exaggerative and I feel like you're looking through an extremely biased perspective. What that may be, I don't know.

I'm looking at it through the perspective of a normal person who takes what the narrative gives me and doesn't futilely try to justify it after the fact.

kayos90

I'm looking at it through the perspective of a normal person who takes what the narrative gives me and doesn't futilely try to justify it after the fact.

Not sure why it's futily trying to justify it after the fact just because the explanation came later. Considering Geass was an unknown power and its rules and how it worked were discovered by Lelouch, it's entirely possible that he didn't know what repercussions and consequences it had. The explanation coming after makes perfect sense. An explanation prior would be stupid.

jman2050

Not sure why it's futily trying to justify it after the fact just because the explanation came later. Considering Geass was an unknown power and its rules and how it worked were discovered by Lelouch, it's entirely possible that he didn't know what repercussions and consequences it had. The explanation coming after makes perfect sense. An explanation prior would be stupid.

You seem to be under the impression that I didn't know there was an explanation for
his Geass going out of control.
That's not the point. That was never the point.

kayos90

You seem to be under the impression that I didn't know there was an explanation for
his Geass going out of control.
That's not the point. That was never the point.

Okay. Then reiterate to me EXACTLY what you have a problem with. What particular event. Because your original explanation has a multitude of elements and I can't expect to know what the core of your argument is when you bring up several and simply say "That was never the point."

Jarmel

Banned
Kill La Kill 6-

So after liking the last three episodes, I disliked this episode. It's mostly due to the crappy 2nd half that goes way too fast in certain developments and instead of letting things sink in or savoring the moment, it speeds straight ahead into the next character scene. There isn't any time for the characters to really process anything.
Like instead of Sanageyama actually thinking about things or contemplating how big of a decision it is to give up your eyesight, it just happens. It would have been much more satisfying seeming him think about his loss or just act like a human for a period of time before coming to a decision.
The fights in this episode were also both boring but in different ways. This seems like a bit of a bullshit way to extent the school arc.

Kill la Kill - 06

Suddenly Uzu Sanageyama became one of my favourite characters.

Seriously, that design of his uniform. It used five swords as drilsl.

FIVE SWORDS. AS DRILLS. (Okay it was essentially cylinder fists and not drills, but still!)

I love how as the main character is getting stronger, the villains seem to be getting stronger along with her, and not in the usual "beat her in this episode and be stronger 10 episodes later". They do see Ryuko as a worthy adversary and are doing everything they can to keep up with her level.

Also we seem to have gotten a glimpse of Satsuki's mother in this episode. From the little that I saw, it looks like she's gonna be WAY more of a threat than Satsuki will ever be.

This show man, this freaking show.

jman2050

Okay. Then reiterate to me EXACTLY what you have a problem with. What particular event. Because your original explanation has a multitude of elements and I can't expect to know what the core of your argument is when you bring up several and simply say "That was never the point."

The writers artificially created the worst possible situation for Lelouche out of nothing just because they could.

That's about as much as I can dumb down my own argument, have better reading comprehension in the future.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 5

I think the best thing about this series is how you'll never really know exactly what sort of scenes you will get in each episode. I really like the way they're handling the character arc for Masayoshi, where he's starting to get more and more of what he "really" wants both in his professional and personal life, but realizes that these things are not satisfying on their own as it is. Mari is just fucking CRAZY though. Looooool. The post-ED scenes in the show are the best, and this week is no exception. Roflmaooooooooo.

cajunator

Banned
Samurai Flamenco - Episode 5

I think the best thing about this series is how you'll never really know exactly what sort of scenes you will get in each episode. I really like the way they're handling the character arc for Masayoshi, where he's starting to get more and more of what he "really" wants both in his professional and personal life, but realizes that these things are not satisfying on their own as it is. Mari is just fucking CRAZY though. Looooool. The post-ED scenes in the show are the best, and this week is no exception. Roflmaooooooooo.

I watched for the yuri scene but stayed because its legit entertaining. a better KickAss than KickAss.

kayos90

The writers artificially created the worst possible situation for Lelouche out of nothing just because they could.

That's about as much as I can dumb down my own argument, have better reading comprehension in the future.

You don't have to be a jerk. I'm asking for the core of your argument because your original post was filled with fluff. It's not a matter of "reading comprehension." It's not a matter of "dumbing down" your argument. It's about exhibiting good manners and trying to have good argumentation from both sides. If you have a problem and want to continue the conversation and have proper discourse then act like it. Simple as that. If you don't want to explain upon it. Fine. That's your deal. You don't have to be rude about it.

Pokemon XY 5

Love that they kept that intro to the battles. Hope they continue to use it for the other gym leaders.

Battle vs Viola was very good. Kinda reminded me of the first season when he challenged Brock.

In that he lost.

lololololo

Bonnie continues to be :cajun with her asking Viola to be Clemont's bride. I should be wary of this gag but Bonnie's "Keepu" is just so adorable, that I really don't mind.

Serena finally meets up with the group and she's already pandering to the childhood friend romance so hard.

Seems to be working since she's making me want to root for her as well.

But this is Pokemon and Ash is stupid, so I'm keeping my opinions in check.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 05

Yay this show is good again. It was cool seeing Masayoshi dealing with the "reality" of hero shows, and I think we've got an idea of where this show is heading now. Masayoshi's arc has been pretty enjoyable so far, definitely the best part of the show.

I'm still a little annoyed by how blatantly obvious the identity of Mari is though, I feel like you can't really pull off the magic domino mask in a series that's trying to be fairly realistic.

I miss the Masayoshi/Goto stuff though, I hope that comes back.

jman2050

You don't have to be a jerk. I'm asking for the core of your argument because your original post was filled with fluff. It's not a matter of "reading comprehension." It's not a matter of "dumbing down" your argument. It's about exhibiting good manners and trying to have good argumentation from both sides. If you have a problem and want to continue the conversation and have proper discourse then act like it. Simple as that. If you don't want to explain upon it. Fine. That's your deal. You don't have to be rude about it.

Sorry, that was uncalled for. I just feel like my own argument against your initial statement has to be more substantial than "writers made shit up that doesn't make sense" because that doesn't help anyone's understanding.

Jex

[Valvrave] - 17

I must admit, I was originally a little annoyed by L-elf's ridiculous levels of competence because it just felt completely stupid. That was before I had fully embraces the show for what it is.

Now, however, I appreciate L-elf because of how competent he is, especially for a character in a mecha show. Most mecha protagonists are stupid hotheads who are ruled by their passions and, consequently, end up making stupid decisions. Haurto would be like that too, he's be like Eren, if L-elf wasn't around to slap him into shape, using whatever means necessary to achieve his goal. He's almost 'genre smart', in that sense. Even when he encounters a completely new situation he approaches it in the same 'logical' manner that leads to the best possible decision.

Oh yeah did I mention that
Haurto Inazuma-kicks A VOLCANO?

Kill la Kill 6

Thought about dropping the show during the first half. I'd had my fill of the lolsorandum humor this show offers.

But then the second half was pretty good.

Scratch that, it was hype as fuck. Finally a really good villain and the end of
Ryuoko steamrolling over everything as a joke.
That fight was actually scary and intense.

VVValvvvravvve 17

Fuuuuuck this episode was so good. Best yet. Everything is moving so fast.
Finally we see L-Elf getting angry. Haruto's resolve will hopefully last and we'll never have to deal with him messing up piloting again. I have no goddamn idea what Cain is up to. Runes looks pretty and I guess the next best source of them is Sakimori High?
Seriously, if you're not watching VVV you're missing out on some great insane anime.

JCG

It's not "something bad happens out of nowhere". That wouldn't be interesting nor worthy of remark at all. The Geass writers literally put forth a situation that can not happen. I don't mean it's unlikely to happen, I mean it cannot happen, it's an impossibility that only occurs because it's a fictional story and the writers have the power to make it happen. No attempt is made to explain why it happened, how it happened, what circumstances led to the events that set it in motion, and there's no implicit thought of "well I guess that's possible" because it isn't. [

The situation was definitely forced, mechanically speaking, but the world of Code Geass is inherently over-the-top and explicitly theatrical to begin with. It is full of many things which would be outright impossible in reality or which do not have any scientific explanation. There are also many purely whimsical and coincidental events, like Euphemia meeting Suzaku by literally falling into his arms. If you actually look at the show in context, your objection becomes weaker rather than stronger. For instance, here's some details:

-Lelouch is a prideful, boastful person by nature and says lots of exaggerated things.
-Geass is a mysterious power and C.C. doesn't want to tell him shit about it when asked.
-Mao had a permanently-on Geass in both eyes that he couldn't turn off.
-Lelouch is totally pissed about what Euphemia is doing because it'll ruin his plans.
-The episode title is Bloodstained Euphy, which spells out that terrible things will happen to her.
-Lelouch's Geass eye doesn't immediately turn off after he uses it on some random goon earlier that episode, he has to close it.
-The entire reason Lelouch met with Euphemia was to brainwash her into messing up.
-When he's talking to Euphemia, there's another moment when his eye is distinctly hurting, though Lelouch dismisses it and keeps ranting about stuff.
-After they make up, that's when Lelouch makes a contrived boast. The specific words were forced, but his attitude is in-character.
-When the Emperor sees what's happening he finds it worth laughing, in clear contrast with other characters who are either shocked or sad.
-Much later, we learn that both his father and C.C. started with one-eye Geass powers and later moved up to two. Then Lelouch himself gets a Geass in his other eye.

I'm totally fine with calling it a contrived situation and understand being angry, sad or whatever...but contrived events in general aren't a rarity in anime, much less in this show. Looking at the big picture, resorting to tragicomedy isn't unfitting for what the creators were already doing in the series nor what they did afterwards. The series wasn't ever meant to be as serious as the Legend of Galactic Heroes or even most Universal Century Gundam works. The tone's too different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom