• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Acchi Kocchi

This show gave me as many heart attacks as I was expecting, which is a lot because Jesus Tsumiki, JESUS. As cute as the show may be I feel that most of the comedy fell flat or simply wasn't as charming as your usual SOL show like Kiniro Mosaic or even A-Channel. Also I want more of that delicious Christmas cake onee-san, UNF UNF. This is basically mostly for the most :Cajun of people looking for something that's unhealthily cute and fluffy with not too much else.

Sometimes that EXACTLY what Im looking for.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The only one trolling is Aniplex. Considering that if i read correctly it's a 2-hour special and it looks like a beach/pool episode.

As if the first arc wasn't rushed enough! lol. I wonder how the recap episode will be and how they will sell the extra episode.

duckroll

The only one trolling is Aniplex. Considering that if i read correctly it's a 2-hour special and it looks like a beach/pool episode.

I think it's a recap special + new episode. The original author is writing the script for the "new part" himself, which suggests that not all of the special is new content.

zeroshiki

Aww I missed a Geass slapfight.

Lelouche's Geass
becoming permanent
is extremely coincidental and convenient but is proof that he didn't intend to give that order. Otherwise, the events and his reactions afterward, don't add up.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think it's a recap special + new episode. The original author is writing the script for the "new part" himself, which suggests that not all of the special is new content.

I would've much rather seen an animated version of the special novellas that came with the blu ray. =/

Aww I missed a Geass slapfight.

Lelouche's Geass is extremely coincidental and convenient but is proof that he didn't intend to give that order. Otherwise, the events and his reactions afterward, don't add up

Wait people think it wasn't an accident?

Valvrave 17

Another episode that spent too much time trying to be a good episode and not enough time being ridiculous. Ending was pretty OH SNAP though

Golden Time 06

Woah that was interesting. I really like the pacing of this show though I have a few criticisms.

One, is the Banri-ghost. What does he actually do? He narrates Banri's past but does present Banri remember them? Is it a new memory that comes to present Banri? Or is Banri-ghost just confiding in the viewer? I find it a lazy plot device. Second is Banri snapping at Koko. While I approve that Banri isn't a spineless coward I didn't feel a real buildup in the sudden snap. Throughout the episode Banri's thoughts (or lack of thoughts) were just focused on Linda, not to mention there was no pained/troubled expression in him inviting Koko to Chinami's party.

The comedy was great when it showed.

Theonik

Acchi Kocchi

This show gave me as many heart attacks as I was expecting, which is a lot because Jesus Tsumiki, JESUS. As cute as the show may be I feel that most of the comedy fell flat or simply wasn't as charming as your usual SOL show like Kiniro Mosaic or even A-Channel. Also I want more of that delicious Christmas cake onee-san, UNF UNF. This is basically mostly for the most :Cajun of people looking for something that's unhealthily cute and fluffy with not too much else.
This was my assertion as well. Though mind you, that was exactly what I was expecting when I started this so I was not really let down.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kyoukai no Idol Culture 06 second half:

... no seriously, what the fuck is this shit?

Samurai Flamenco 5

Hahaha this show continues to just be a blast to watch. The characters are all quirky and mesh well together. I also love the little touches of personality they give like Moe waiting for a kiss from Mari and getting denied.

Erigu

I think calling Cars "Kars" is extremely stupid, frankly. I think it bothers me for the same reason that Mortal Kombat's insistence on respelling all words that start with a hard C with a K does.
It's a name, so it's spelled however the author wants to spell it, really. Besides, "Kars" isn't particularly outlandish or weird considering the pronunciation.

I don't think they really have official romanizations in English yet
They do have official alphabet spellings, and they're "Santana", "Esidisi", "Wamuu" and "Kars". It's been that way since (at least?) JoJo 6251 (1993), and I have yet to see alternate spellings for those characters (outside of fan translations, naturally).

I agree on basic principle that Lelouch is a ledouche, but unless we're talking about sunconscious desires I can't see it being true considering all the tears.

Read the discussion between CorvoSol and peaceiscloser last page. CorvoSol thinks Lelouche did it on purpose.

Ahh, yeah there's no way it was on purpose. We see plenty of scenes when Lelouch decides to be an ass hole and the evil smirk he has while doing it and after the fact. That scene he seems to just generally be admitting it then is shocked when it happens.

Log Horizon 5

DATABASE DATABASE

This show is so good, the cooking scenes made me want a Food Wars Shokugeki no Soma anime badly. Glad to see we're introducing more of the supporting cast next week.

zeroshiki

I agree on basic principle that Lelouch is a ledouche, but unless we're talking about sunconscious desires I can't see it being true considering all the tears.

I don't even buy the subconscious argument. We've seen it repeatedly shown that Lelouch has a soft spot for the people he was close with when he was a kid (Nunnally, Suzaku, Euphy) and breaks the Zero character repeatedly for these people. I genuinely believe he had decided to give up the fight and work with Euphy on the special zone thing since he wasn't really that invested in bringing Brittania down (outside of the Emperor but he could get to that in some other way). Lelouch isn't really particularly good at deceiving viewers since his emotions are out for us to see.

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 12

NUnIg0a.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When the hosodapocalypse comes, I'm joining team Cajun, inasmuch as that means cat ears and tails on mostly human ladies.

Not sure if I'm ready to embrace the full on Bagi world.
Well, putting aside Bagi not really being drawn with that pleasant an art style to begin with, what about a Miiya Miiya world?

I'm totally fine with calling it a contrived situation and understand being angry, sad or whatever...but contrived events in general aren't a rarity in anime, much less in this show. Looking at the big picture, resorting to tragicomedy isn't unfitting for what the creators were already doing in the series nor what they did afterwards. The series wasn't ever meant to be as serious as the Legend of Galactic Heroes or even most Universal Century Gundam works. The tone's too different.
Let's not look at what happened in isolation, because then you'd be missing the forest for the trees. As you say, simply having a modest amount of contrivance isn't a deadly sin, but when your show writes itself into a corner so obviously, and then fully entrenches itself in there, it calls attention to the use of a megaton contrivance warhead to blast out even more than it would otherwise! It would actually be MORE acceptable to portray Lelouch waking up and realizing the past 5 episodes were all a dream, so WHOOPS NEVERMIND LET'S DO THIS OVER! The decision they made was the equivalent of splashing paint everywhere to turn a Bob Ross landscape into abstract statement on the color red because you realized you were painting palm trees on a snow-capped mountain.

Also, the "never meant to be as serious" claim is entirely disingenuous as it started out taking its own premise seriously. Sure, it had the usual anime trappings, but everything was fairly legit until then. It's only once THAT happened, and then pretty much all of R2 could you even have evidence to the contrary. Quite clearly, the show veered off course.

To me, that only seems useful as trivia to satisfy a sub-set of the viewers who wished to learn about it, but not very relevant for the story being told. The evolution of magical eyes in an over-the-top show isn't some sort of scientific phenomena that needs to be repeatedly observable in a controlled environment to draw forth a peer-reviewed conclusion. Maybe it's happened exactly this way before, maybe it hasn't. There's no point of contradiction. The series isn't about Lelouch's or Suzaku's fervent desire to understand all things Geass and use science to counter it, though that would have been cool to see.
Well, that's the post-modernist take, but suspension of disbelief takes a massive hit when you start giving new powers to character like a 5 year old with an action figure. Sure, there's no point of contradiction, but at that point who really cares?

Phi Brain 55

I know the thing Raestel is missing, she doesn't have a D, without that she'll never be a true puzzler like the others.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
maybe they can use this neat technology to fix kill la kill's flashbacks from being 4:3.

Nagi no Asakura 6
So the boy is still stubborn and Manaka is still a crybaby. Chii-chan is slightly better now but not much

Takao

Banned
Didn't funimation crop some of their videos before?

Not entirely sure if this is a crop tho.

Yes, Funimation did a similar crop and DNR release with Dragon Ball Z back in 2007. For some reason they've decided to do it again, but this time on Blu-Ray. The grainy 4:3 image is from their older canceled Blu-Ray release.

Kyoukai no Idol Culture 06 second half:

... no seriously, what the fuck is this shit?
Do you have enough soap to wash yourself since you've done with the episode ?
( triple pun intended )

Phi Brain 55

I know the thing Raestel is missing, she doesn't have a D, without that she'll never be a true puzzler like the others.

Ah ah a but what if .. just what if that wasn't the case ... what s huge twist ( after all we do know she loves dressing up )

Yes, Funimation did a similar crop and DNR release with Dragon Ball Z back in 2007. For some reason they've decided to do it again, but this time on Blu-Ray. The grainy 4:3 image is from their older canceled Blu-Ray release.

Is the grains why it was canceled or something?

Patlabor TV 46

Most of Kenji Kawai's work on the show's soundtrack has been forgettable, but this episode actually had a piece which stands up well to his later film work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom