• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Revolutionary Girl Utena 33

Utena and Akio. UTENA AND AKIO. ARGLEBLARGLE.

Other than that it was a recap.

Tomorrow I finish this show.

cajunator

Banned
which is why they need more fanservice eps to lessen the pain.

iXAxBdhlrlLnO.gif

Holy shit. I like this.

wonzo

Banned
Seriously, imagine what would happen to a guy in real life who went around talking about how much he loves little sisters, with his little sister right there listening to all of it. Even accepting that a small number of people do have this mental condition, you're not going to talk about it openly.
I've read enough Something Awful
,GAF,
and SOS posts to know that some people will happily go to great lengths to broadcast to the world how much of a gross mouth-breather they are.

Did wonzo lose a bet or something? Who put him up to this? Lol.
just taking out the trash

cajunator

Banned
Well, goes to show I can still make edumukatud guesses every once in a while.

Akio is sexy. Don't worry your pretty little head about why.

Blood-C 8

This is easily the least most professional censorship job in the history of anime. And I've watched the dubbed versions of DBZ and Tenchi Muyo.

No worries. BloodC is about to kick it up.

Samurai Flamenco 5

samuraiflam5.jpg

I was expecting Samurai Flamenco and Flamenco Girl
to finally split up
but I certainly didn't expect
Mari to create a Magical Girl Trio with the other two idols.
lmao this fukken show is incredible

I jumped aboard at this episode because reasons and wasnt disappointex.

And this is why KyoAni is dying.

Didnt KyoAni just sell over 30k per volume of Free? Doesnt look like theyre struggling too much.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How can people hate KnK when the hair is so fluffy and well animated?

Watching KnK feels therapeutic.

Not as bad as the
sister-fetish guy who talks about his fetish with his sister right there.
The show is full of dumb trope characters who have no relation to the real world and couldn't possibly ever exist in it.

Was not aware this is in the show. Is it really?

Branduil

I've read enough Something Awful
,GAF,
and SOS posts to know that some people will happily go to great lengths to broadcast to the world how much of a gross mouth-breather they are.

Internet /= your inescapable social environment, though. And the people who still do so there are generally social pariahs.

Articalys

Er, still would like to know what makes Shingo Yamashita so special. I appreciate that the Muromi-san animators were explained, at least.

zeroshiki

It must be easier to write and animate10 minutes worth of fanservice in one room to fill run time I guess.

I'll refer back to my query from the first page - how are these things getting their own series?

Most anime are used to peddle shit whether it be the manga, LN, game or merchandise in general.

duckroll

Let me explain KnK 6 to those who don't get it yet. It is a desperate cry for help from KyoAni:

- Kuriyama represents KyoAni as a studio. Right now she is able to get by from day to day, but she's often hungry and wants more money.

- She is poor because she spends all her money on her bonsai plants, aka Hyouka, which no one appreciates.

- Her friends in the same industry advised her about a youmu target, aka otaku fanboys, worth a lot of money in an easy to reach location, aka light novel trash adaptations.

- While going after the target, she realizes that it's not as easy as it looks, because trying to succeed in this challenge can destroy your dignity, willpower, and social standing.

- In the end she fails because the lesson is that even if you are willing to degrade yourself to go after what looks like an easy target, if you don't really understand what you're doing and if you're poorly prepared and not passionate about your role, you'll just end up being a poor worthless smelly shit which no one wants to go near or talk to anymore.

RIP.

Tomat

How much have you watched? And where did your avatar go?

Two episodes, and I dropped the avatar (I changed it from sweating guy) because I didn't like it. Currently in a very long and meticulous process to pick a new one.

Gazoinks

Akio would seduce Sexy Sensei and that'd be the end of it.

True end route.

It's a brutal sucker punch, but I can't help appreciating how well they set it up.

Yeah. All things considered, I expected
some sort of romance between Akio and Utena, I just didn't expect them to go THAT FAR.
They lured me in too. I was all "Well, this is a slightly dull recap episode" and then they punched me for thinking that with the ending.

Utena-level symbolism right here.

Let me explain KnK 6 to those who don't get it yet. It is a desperate cry for help from KyoAni:

- Kuriyama represents KyoAni as a studio. Right now she is able to get by from day to day, but she's often hungry and wants more money.

- She is poor because she spends all her money on her bonsai plants, aka Hyouka, which no one appreciates.

- Her friends in the same industry advised her about a youmu target, aka otaku fanboys, worth a lot of money in an easy to reach location, aka light novel trash adaptations.

- While going after the target, she realizes that it's not as easy as it looks, because trying to succeed in this challenge can destroy your dignity, willpower, and social standing.

- In the end she fails because the lesson is that even if you are willing to degrade yourself to go after what looks like an easy target, if you don't really understand what you're doing and if you're poorly prepared and not passionate about your role, you'll just end up being a poor worthless smelly shit which no one wants to go near or talk to anymore.

RIP.

iHN6rpqbSHK8F.gif

Wow. I had to come in here and post some updated thoughts on Hunter x Hunter

Hunter x Hunter - Some number up to 47
Fuck yeah. This show has been letting me down in many areas, and the areas that are strong (comedy, good character interaction through dialogue, music) aren't why I'm watching Hunter x Hunter. The auction
massacre
brought some awareness about an element that is bugging me. These characters simply don't feel human. Death and violence don't seem to bother them. That's understandable for Killua, but Gon and Leorio have almost no reaction to the
the auction massacre
. Gon grew up on a peaceful island growing up in the wild. An innocent, honest kid like him shouldn't take every death with a smile on his face. I mean Hell, even during the Hunter exams when someone died in front of his face he couldn't take 2 seconds to show any emotion. I even mentioned before that his
quest to find his dad, even after hearing the tape
, isn't a quest that seems full of much emotion or caring. When he speaks of it, it's always with a smile on his face...never a "Why the Hell did my piece of shit dad abandon me?" which I could relate to a bit more. Now this can all ultimately pay off if we eventually get some massive breakdown (even a short one) where he lets loose with how he really feels.

Now for the good. Kurapika. I had a feeling this son-of-a-bitch was going to be good, but damn, he is awesome. This show has been lacking what I characterize as a "badass" moment and he stepped forward to fill that gap when he
slaughters Uvon.
. One of the most annoying villain characteristics in any show is apathy in the face of any obstacle. It makes villains very un-enjoyable to watch. However, the perfect counter to this is an absolute ass beating in which we get to see anything but apathy on the face of the villains. Now I don't expect Kurapika to mow down every baddie out there, and I expect his next fight might go opposite, but I'm fine with that. My only fear is they'll find a way to retro his strength down as he seems OP against Troupe members. Hopefully they simply use interesting skills to counter his.

On a final note, Kurapika's chains are, for lack of a better word, cool. They're one of the most creative designs/ideas I've seen for a weapon in a while. I could watch a show of just this guy.

Articalys

Tennis manga series Baby Steps is confirmed to be getting an anime in Spring 2014.
Eiichirou Maruo (Ei-Chan), a first year honor student, one day decides he's unhappy with the way things are and lacks exercise. His mother gives him a flyer for the local Tennis Club and he decides to check it out. He's instantly captivated by it. With no prior experience and poor physical conditioning, join Ei-Chan as he embarks on a tennis journey using his smarts, dedication and work ethic.
The story follows "Ei-chan," a punctual and earnest boy who has strived for straight As since elementary school. He began going to a tennis school during high school. There, he meets Natsu, a beautiful, earnest girl who only has passion for tennis.
Don't worry, it's a bit more realistic thatn PoT.

Branduil

RIP.

Deeper than Evangelion.

Two episodes, and I dropped the avatar (I changed it from sweating guy) because I didn't like it. Currently in a very long and meticulous process to pick a new one.

Well, you'll see what I mean pretty soon.

Er, still would like to know what makes Shingo Yamashita so special. I appreciate that the Muromi-san animators were explained, at least.

He's simply a very skilled animator with a distinctive style. In addition to the works of his you mentioned earlier, see also the OP for Naruto Shippuden he storyboarded/directed/did key animation for, and which was Tatsunoko's digital team's work prior to Yozakura.

Articalys

He's simply a very skilled animator with a distinctive style. In addition to the works of his you mentioned earlier, see also the OP for Naruto Shippuden he storyboarded/directed/did key animation for, and which was Tatsunoko's digital team's work prior to Yozakura.
Cool, thanks for the response.

RIP.

Most compelling episode ever.

EDIT: picking an avatar as well. Transparency is a bitch.

Quasar

IS 2.06 - Well...after just watching Heavens Lost Property, I was umm...amused they borrowed a bit from there with the whole underwear thing. Dropping the major plot point from the start was just weird and jarring though.

CorvoSol

Blood C 10

WHAT IF FUMITO SAN DID IT?
WHAT IF
GUIMAUVE IS MADE FROM PEOPLE!?
Oh damn now
Lesbian teacher is here, too.
Girl caves in to
lesbian
peer pressure waaaay too easy.

"Everything here, it's all
fake.
"

What. The. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL!!

Gazoinks

Man, looking back on when I was shocked by
Touga boxing a kangaroo
in Ep 5 of Utena... I was so young and innocent back then.

Blood C 10

WHAT IF
Oh damn now
Girl caves in to
lesbian

fake.
"

And the show's genius reveals itself.

Defuser

hmmm... maybe I should do a KnK duckroll avatar like I did for Blood.C but alas I don't have his orginal animal crossing avatar anymore.

cajunator

Banned
Beyond the Boundary 6

This is probably the "best" episode of this show so far, mainly because they just give up any pretense of it being anything besides a really dumb comedy. I like to think the smelly youma is a caricature of KyoAni's current fanbase.

Mirai looks like Momo with glasses. That is a very good thing.

Speaking of Kyokai no Kanata, they just revealed the CD covers for the first two character song albums (Mirai/Mitsuki and Hiroomi/Akihito) and they're looking pretty fabulous:

3HhzDzN.jpg

r32XLEH.jpg

Here's a sample of the songs on the 1st volume, along with a bigger version of the vol.1 art (thanks to the video background):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx9jlgtlIK8

Thanks for the art arti.

sonicmj1

Blood C 10

WHAT IF
Oh damn now
Girl caves in to
lesbian

fake.
"

You haven't even seen its final form yet.

Tomat

I hope you're watching something awesome and manly instead, like Gundam Build Fighters.

Just KnK, and only two episodes at that. Those characters keep their clothes on though, it's totally different.

Blood C 10

WHAT IF
Oh damn now
Girl caves in to
lesbian

fake.
"

HA. HAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Why did you have to remind me?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom