• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
weeee-

1565229-big_boo.png

Oh. I thought it was a weeaboo. Not a weeboo. Or weeb for that matter.

survivor

Banned
We decided to separate them to give them a chance because the films and OVAs are often seen by a smaller audience on GAF compared to the TV shows so they hardly have a chance of being in the final top 10. Though with shows like Little Witch Academia we could very well be wrong. If you feel the limit of three is too small I could increase it to five. We felt 10 would be too many because hardly anyone sees that many new films and OVAs in a year.

It's just that half of my top 10 were movies/OVAs (Garden of Words, Wolf Children, LWA, Blue Exorcist, and Otona Joshi no Time 2) so now I actually gotta watch more shows to even be able to make a full list.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
iDOLWR@STLER - END

So at the end they advertise that there will be a live event next year. I sure hope the VAs are as stacked as the characters they voice because otherwise there will be a lot of disappointed fans. I means that's the only reason people watched this show right.

I'm not voting on AOTY, but we all know Yamato deserves to win. Because it brings in sci-fi lovers, waifu-lovers and moe-lovers alike.

Yamato is like Jesus.
When Yamato gets second place behind Love Live you're going to be kicking yourself for not voting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd vote in his stead if I could list ten 2013 releases I've watched.

I almost feel like rushing a ton of stuff so I could vote for Yamato.
You don't have to vote 10 shows and since we couldn't come to a consensus this year for a new set of rules we'll just stick to the old #1 gets 10 points #2 gets 9 etc. Though the suggestion that one can only vote one show was quite interesting.

You don't have to vote 10 shows and since we couldn't come to a consensus this year for a new set of rules we'll just stick to the old #1 gets 10 points #2 gets 9 etc. Though the suggestion that one can only vote one show was quite interesting.

I've missed huge portions of this thread and it's 100% been discussed before but then Attack on Titan is easily going to take #1 since all the casuals can vote for one or two shows, right?

What a terrible fate ( ´_ゝ`)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've missed huge portions of this thread and it's 100% been discussed before but then Attack on Titan is easily going to take #1 since all the casuals can vote for one or two shows, right?

What a terrible fate ( ´_ゝ`)
Hence why there was discussion to try and reward those who do vote for a full set of 10 vs those who just drop in and post one show name and don't even bother with an explanation. I suppose one could be mean and say a minimum of one sentence to explain why you like x show could be added to the rules which would penalise those who don't bother to read them.

I suppose one could be mean and say a minimum of one sentence to explain why you like x show could be added to the rules which would penalise those who don't bother to read them.

I think that's reasonable. Pretty sure that over at gaming side the GotY thread had that rule as well. They also required ten games so having played only MGR I didn't bother.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I will not lie I have Attack on Titan ranked as high as I do for the casual connection, obviously I think it was also a worthwhile anime but I can't ignore the fact that this show and Jojo dragged me back into the modern era.

I will not lie I have Attack on Titan ranked as high as I do for the casual connection, obviously I think it was also a worthwhile anime but I can't ignore the fact that this show and Jojo dragged me back into the modern era.

I don't really have a problem with the show. It'll be on my list as well because it had great high points, but overall was pretty mediocre. And also I haven't watched ten shows.
I just don't think people who have only ever seen Dragonball Z and Cowboy Bebop should be given the chance to overpower that show's position.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of funny that something from the late 80s such a JoJo is described as bringing you back to the modern era.

BluWacky

It's a popularity contest, not a critical assessment! If Attack on Titan wins, that is because it's the most popular anime of this year. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not some kind of world-ending travesty if the vote actually reflects the majority opinion that needs to be legislated away to stop people's votes counting or whatever.

I am a little curious why having AOTY is such a big deal, to be honest. Does it prove anything over just having our own year end round-up lists? Or is it just the nerdish obsession with lists and ranking driving us on?

LayLa

i would have no problem with AoT winning, not a fan of the show myself but its clearly the breakout hit of 2013 in both Japan and the West.
"casuals" should have just as much voting rights as "hardcore", anything else would be pretty pathetic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't really have a problem with the show. It'll be on my list as well because it had great high points. I just don't think people who have only ever seen Dragonball Z and Cowboy Bebop should be given the chance to overpower that show's position.

It is kind of the nature of the beast when you go this route, after all for many this will have been their AOTY.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Person a votes for one show only and thus gives show x 10 points. Persons b and c vote for y as their 5th favourite show of the year out of a full 10 thus it gets 2x5=10 points. However show y was voted for twice vs show x so should they be seen as equal or not. If person a had voted for 10 shows rather than one it would have been easier to say. That's where people's problem with the current system lies.

Also the rule stems back to the AotY 2010 thread that didn't seem to have that much thought put into it.

It's a popularity contest, not a critical assessment! If Attack on Titan wins, that is because it's the most popular anime of this year. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not some kind of world-ending travesty if the vote actually reflects the majority opinion that needs to be legislated away to stop people's votes counting or whatever.

I am a little curious why having AOTY is such a big deal, to be honest. Does it prove anything over just having our own year end round-up lists? Or is it just the nerdish obsession with lists and ranking driving us on?

I loved AoT. But I don't mention it here since apparently it's travesty to think that something as popular as it is can also be good. Is it the best? I don't think so, but if I saw it at the top, it wouldn't bother me. I still regularly bring in anime newcomers with this.

I still listen to my Attack on Titan soundtrack. In fact it's the only anime soundtrack I listen to every single time I listen to music.

Unless Psycho-Pass released those sweet techno tunes. Have they? I dunno.

Jarmel

Banned

Why even have it at that point? GOTY stuff is in theory supposed to be a critical assessment of the games and which are in theory the best. Yes there is a popularity aspect as with all voting but IMO it's supposed to be more as well. Knowing which anime is the most popular, as the main criteria, is pretty meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom