• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 1:

Right, I will continue to watch this just because the dispensed with the typical moe high school slice of life bullshit and send the cast careening right into the adult world.

Just started watching Akagi, why is a show about mahjong so good?! It's like One Outs but with mahjong. Just 5 episodes in and I can't wait what's coming up next. Really need to learn the rules doe, I can't read both the subtitles and notes explaining the game at the same time, they go by fast.

m9DuP2u.jpg

Baby Steps 10:
He really should have tried going up to the net earlier than in the eighth game. I get that he's inexperienced, but it's the right play in that situation. I'm glad we're getting a match that is really fleshed out, complete with seeing the perspectives of both players. I'm hoping that Ei-chan can pull this one out and figure out a way to start hitting some winning shots. His path to victory hasn't been easy, but he keeps getting better.

The only thing which really bugged me about the episode was the need to suddenly explain some basic tennis stuff, most of which was already explained in earlier episodes. I don't know why they needed to have that girl there to explain some stuff too.

Just started watching Akagi, why is a show about mahjong so good?! It's like One Outs but with mahjong. Just 5 episodes in and I can't wait what's coming up next. Really need to learn the rules doe, I can't read both the subtitles and notes explaining the game at the same time, they go by fast.

m9DuP2u.jpg

Is it better or worse than Saki?

duckroll

Branduil should be happy. His darling Masashi Ishihama is back on noitaminA in full force. He directed and storyboarded the Psycho-Pass 2 OP, and he'll be directing and storyboarding KimiUso Ep5.

Branduil

Branduil should be happy. His darling Masashi Ishihama is back on noitaminA in full force. He directed and storyboarded the Psycho-Pass 2 OP, and he'll be directing and storyboarding KimiUso Ep5.

Cool, at least one part of PP 2 will be worth watching.

Nisekoi - OVA

Split in two, first part is focused on Onodera. Second is with all four.
Had a few laughs with Miyamoto goofing around like a blind mouse, and some of the exorcism in the latter part. Overall it was decent.
Gorilla > Tsugumi > Onodera > Marika

Link Man

Banned
Shirobako 1

Interesting, but I can't really think of anything to say about it. Except donuts. And lingering boob shots.

Really good art, though!

TUSR

Banned
Nisekoi - OVA

Split in two, first part is focused on Onodera. Second is with all four.
Had a few laughs with Miyamoto goofing around like a blind mouse, and some of the exorcism in the latter part. Overall it was decent.

Gorilla > Tsugumi > Onodera > Marika

Now watch the Brynhildr OVA.

The Kimiuso OP is looking pretty great. The official twitter account has been teasing screens from it. It's directed and storyboarded by Ryosuke Nakamura. <3

Read the synopsis. It's either going to be Nodame Cantabile in terms of how much music actually has a point in the show, or one of those romance manga where characters are amazing at music but the music is never truly shown on screen and it skips concerts/showings because they don't care about that but the romance drama. Obviously hoping for the former, I want more music-based anime.

Shirobako 1
Destroy dreams of young animators everywhere and showing the realistic intense schedule of animation studios. And Donuts

Kikirin

To give a brief summary, players have a (usually) 13-tile hand and take turns drawing a tile from the wall and discarding a tile to slowly move towards making a complete hand of 14 tiles. "But wait, where does the 14th tile come from?" The 14th tile is (usually) obtained either during your turn when you draw from the wall, or when the opponent discards the final tile that you need once the rest of your hand is solidified.

A complete hand (usually) has 4 groupings of 3 tiles each + a pair of the same tile. Each of the groupings can either be a continuous sequence within the same suit (e.g., 1-2-3, 2-3-4, ..., 7-8-9) or a three-of-a-kind of the exact same tile (e.g., 7-7-7, 2-2-2, etc. of a particular suit).

The worth of a hand is based on the composition (suits, type, numbers) of the tiles in the groupings and the overall hand, with harder-to-achieve patterns earning more points. Examples include:

- all groupings are three-of-a-kinds
- all groupings are sequences
- all tiles in the hand are from the same suit
- all groupings use tiles numbered 1 or 9

Note that a single hand can match multiple patterns, and the key to earning big points is to have it cover as many score-earning patterns as possible.

To speed up the process, players are allowed to steal discarded tiles from other players if it either: 1) completes a grouping, or 2) completes the player's hand. Note that when you steal for (1), you have to reveal the completed grouping to the entire table to confirm its validity, making it easier for opponents to guess at what sort of hand you are trying to make.

A lot of the strategy in the game comes from balancing the tradeoff between getting a high-scoring hand and finishing a hand quickly, determining what the opponents are aiming for based on their steals and discards, keeping track of the possible remaining tiles in the game, and targeting specific players if they're getting too large of a lead.

The game is a lot of fun lol

You can get a more in-depth explanation / tutorial here: http://www.japanesemahjong.com/reachmahjong/intro.htm

Read the synopsis. It's either going to be Nodame Cantabile in terms of how much music actually has a point in the show, or one of those romance manga where characters are amazing at music but the music is never truly shown on screen and it skips concerts/showings because they don't care about that but the romance drama. Obviously hoping for the former, I want more music-based anime.

Speaking of music-based anime, How come there aren't any Disney-esque musical anime? Not the kind of anime musical where the only singing is on a stage sung by idols or whatever, or where a song plays during a montage of sorts, no.

I'm talking characters singing with the actual song itself being super-relevant to the plot, with lead-in lines and everything. I want to see an anime villain singing a villain song, that sort of thing.

Does an anime like that really not exist?

Speaking of music-based anime, How come there aren't any Disney-esque musical anime? Not the kind of anime musical where the only singing is on a stage sung by idols or whatever, or where a song plays during a montage of sorts, no.

I'm talking characters singing with the actual song itself being super-relevant to the plot, with lead-in lines and everything. I want to see an anime villain singing a villain song, that sort of thing.

You make a good point. It always seems that whenever somebody sings in anime it's either in a concert (usually idols) or singing in a very awkward fashion that no real people would ever do. Such as singing really loud into a sunset on the school rooftop, or walking to school with people passing you by.

Maybe musicals aren't a big deal for Japan? In the western world we love musicals.

duckroll

It's a noitaminA show. It's definitely the former. Similar to Kids on the Slope, they have already confirmed in advance that the piano and violin performances will all have actual references. There are two performers who will be doing the actual performances which are then captured for reference and the soundtrack.

It's a noitaminA show. It's definitely the former. Similar to Kids on the Slope, they have already confirmed in advance that the piano and violin performances will all have actual references. There are two performers who will be doing the actual performances which are then captured for reference and the soundtrack.

You had me at Kids on the Slope. Fucking hyped.

You make a good point. It always seems that whenever somebody sings in anime it's either in a concert (usually idols) or singing in a very awkward fashion that no real people would ever do. Such as singing really loud into a sunset on the school rooftop, or walking to school with people passing you by.

Maybe musicals aren't a big deal for Japan? In the western world we love musicals.

I've always thought the reason was because of the way most Japanese songs differ from English songs.

Disney musicals often have clever word-play that goes in tune with the environments the characters are in or what's going on in the story, etc.

I don't know how you could fit that similar sort of word-play into Japanese song lyrics. If I had to guess any reason why I haven't seen a Disney-esque anime musical, it would probably be that.

But wait a minute, wasn't there a Space Dandy episode that was a musical? Was that anything like what I'm talking about?

duckroll

I just watched the Saint Seiya CG movie today. When they get to the Cancer Temple, the trapped souls on the floor light up and start singing a tune. Then Deathmask himself descents from the ceiling using a bunch of balloons, and breaks into song introducing himself and talking himself up. He sings and dances, and even poses to show off his armpit hair. They only fight him after he's done with the song.

But wait a minute, wasn't there a Space Dandy episode that was a musical? Was that anything like what I'm talking about?

Yes there's an entire episode of Space Dandy which was basically a High School Musical parody. There is also an episode of Kurenai which is a musical.

I just watched the Saint Seiya CG movie today. When they get to the Cancer Temple, the trapped souls on the floor light up and start singing a tune. Then Deathmask himself descents from the ceiling using a bunch of balloons, and breaks into song introducing himself and talking himself up. He sings and dances, and even poses to show off his armpit hair. They only fight him after he's done with the song.

Holy shit. That sounds amazing. I want to see that, like now.

Yes there's an entire episode of Space Dandy which was basically a High School Musical parody. There is also an episode of Kurenai which is a musical.

Interesting...is that show any good? I looked it up and the "Harem" tag worries me.

duckroll

Defuser

Psycho Pass 2 ep1
Nice to see this show makes a return. Akane shred her old wimpy self from the first show and becomes a badass for this season and Ginoza mellow out alot now. Alot of similarities to the first show with referencing to the start up of the Dominator and episode 3 robot action scene. Shimotsuki is irritating though probably mirroring Ginoza's old self.

And dat OP, got me happy that
Kogami makes a return despite something have happen to him.
Akane becomes a smoker?!

Shiki 1-22 + the 2 OVAs END

Man, the show started off really good but the characters were quite dumb in how they were acting. This was basically about the village as a whole and I guess there was no real central character. The monk was the one that pissed me off the most. He was against killing to prevent killing but in the end he ended up killing anyways. It also really dumb how oblivious some of them were even though they knew about the Shikis. And how did the younger brother survive and end up in the hospital? It was never explained. And what was up with Natsuno's dad? It was written pretty well up to a certain point, then it just had the characters act out in stupidity in order to keep the flow they want to go in with the story.

Nah it's about Glasslip still frame thing, even though that maybe director's "style"

Worst use of still-frames ever. It's like they don't know how to use the technique at all.

BluWacky

The last proper anime-that-is-a-musical was Nerima Daikon Brothers.

It was sodding awful.

Re: popularity of musicals in Japan - until about a year ago I worked in the musical theatre industry and dealt with Japan very frequently. They love musicals, but there's little to no audience overlap between anime and musical theatre, the primary demographic of which is single ladies in their 20s and housewives (perhaps not that different from the Western demographic, really). With that said, while the market is diversifying, most of the popular shows are imported Western "poperettas" - shows like Les Miserables, or Phantom of the Opera, or the shows that come out of Vienna like Elisabeth, Mozart etc. - they're basically stuck in the 80s as far as taste goes, and that extends to the limited home grown musical market which occupies the same strangely stylised space as the Takarazuka (who stage lots of musicals, obviously).

South Korea has a much larger musical market, incidentally.

The last proper anime-that-is-a-musical was Nerima Daikon Brothers.

It was sodding awful.

Re: popularity of musicals in Japan - until about a year ago I worked in the musical theatre industry and dealt with Japan very frequently. They love musicals, but there's little to no audience overlap between anime and musical theatre, the primary demographic of which is single ladies in their 20s and housewives (perhaps not that different from the Western demographic, really). With that said, while the market is diversifying, most of the popular shows are imported Western "poperettas" - shows like Les Miserables, or Phantom of the Opera, or the shows that come out of Vienna like Elisabeth, Mozart etc. - they're basically stuck in the 80s as far as taste goes, and that extends to the limited home grown musical market which occupies the same strangely stylised space as the Takarazuka (who stage lots of musicals, obviously).

South Korea has a much larger musical market, incidentally.

We will correct this and bring Book of Mormon to Japan.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The plague of specification stickers being left on laptops has gotten so bad they're being drawn in anime!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would webm the first five minutes of World Trigger for everyone to experience in all its unbroken-series-of-stills horror but there's no site that could host it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom