• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

That last picture...
someone bust out that image with the other 40 examples

uplJEP2.jpg

Ok.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-2

So I felt the direction and storyboarding wasn't as strong as in the first episode but it all still flowed pretty well. I thought there were a number of shots that weren't exactly optimal or interesting when conversations were going on. One for example had a shot of Latifah's head while she was talking and it was essentially a still frame. The other was the conversation on the bus where they were just infodumping for the most part. I think there were definitely some animation cuts in the episode that were better than the stuff in episode 1 though. The lighting so far has been fairly decent in setting up mood/atmosphere and the animators have really utilized shade to properly convey emotions.
The show did an acceptable enough job of establishing the mindsets of the characters and also fleshing them out by a sizable extent. I thought Kanye's initial reaction after the meeting was well earned and also you could get a good sense of Sento's desperation despite her still being monotone by a large extent. There was a particular shot with her head against the door that reminded me of something out of Hyouka actually. Another couple of shots I liked was Chris Tucker handing over his business card as it gave the impression of him looming over you and the other shot was when Kanye started giving his speech. There was also some stuff with the writing that really helped explain the context of the show and why Kanye was even being involved.

One thing I'm sort of mixed about is the music in the climax of the episode. I get what they were going for but I don't think the music was a good fit for the scene, in that the song choice was 'too loud' in that it is competing with the character. I do think the storyboarding and animation in the scene were topnotch though.
The anime is going at a faster pace than I expected, as I thought the climax in this episode would have been held off for the 3rd episode, however I guess there is no reason delaying the inevitable and the show might have been seen as dragging its heels.

Oh and the show totally is Restaurant Impossible but with a theme park.

Gundam: Reconguista in G - 03

TIL how & where those pilots taking dump when sortieing. Also, we have that typical
side switch already lol. Kinda interested in how the mistakes during UC era almost wipe the humanity and hopefully it will be explained.

Amagi Brilliant Park 02

I'm fairly entertained with the show. The quality of the animation is probably clouding my judgement a bit, but the plot isn't nearly as terribad as I thought the first episode was going to make it be. As long as they stick with fairly normal methods to save the park, I could dig it.

In this episode we learn why specifically they went with the protag, and it's partially because
they've already tried getting actual experts/managers, and all of them quit so he's their final hope
. I like that the protag is being realistic about the prospect of saving the park. I disliked that they had to introduce typical executive Mr. The Man Bringing You Down, who proceeds to be plot device and
give them an ultimatum on how much they have before the park closes, not to mention his leer and comments about how they're all losers. Let's not forget he also came to protagonist when he needed the push to come back to insult him and push him towards the losers
. It's fairly standard and I couldn't expect much out of LN writing I guess.

The mascots were the highlight this episode, I loved how each had their personality. The goat being almost the wiser of the three, then the pink dog being a womanizer, and moffle being Professor Snape. My favorite one is Totodile, which looks exactly like Totodile only the spikes are black instead of red or w/e the colors are in the Pokemon. The character of Moffle is being set-up a bit too hard as the disapproving ally who will slowly warm up to the protag and eventually maybe defend him if the rest of the people lose confidence in him or some shit like that.

Dandere girl got a bit more personality this episode as when we see her desperation. That's good and all, but the protagonist continues to be the more interesting character. In terms of fan service we didn't get much besides the half naked element girls.

Over-all the show is doing pretty good so far. It won't be Hyouka, but it's gonna be better than Chuu, Chuu2 and KnK. And isn't that all we wanted?

Is the MC of Amagi Brilliant Park that similar to Kanye West.

He was doing the whole "I'm a genius and nobody can ever hope to beat me" act. So he's the voice of a generation.

kinger256

Shirobako - 1

A pleasant surprise. I was always interested how anime gets produced. It also seems that this won't be some idealistic vision on how the industry is. Judging from the impressions from others, I'm assuming this is a fair representation of how late-night anime gets made?

Psycho-Pass S2 - 1

I actually liked the first season but found this to be written badly and boring. I also can't believe how much exposition there is rehashing what we already know from the first season. At least the OP is good.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - 2

Still great. Love that its a short. If it was a full 20 minutes, I feel it would overstay its welcome.

Amagi Brilliant Park 02

Kanie does as his namesake does; feed off the hatred of others. Also seeing Bonta-Kun going to a bar with work friends is 2hilarious4me

Chaika The Avengening 1

You'd think Chaika would be a master at shortening incantations considering she's completely incapable of speaking in complete sentences.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I've cracked Shirobako.

The only reason this show exists is so that people in the anime industry can show up-and-comers how hard it is to work in the anime industry so that they never attempt to join it. This leaves more work for those already work in it.

It's genius.
I guess I should watch this. It seems like it's made for assholes who post about anime on the internet. Much like that other 3 minute anime from this season. lol

Shirobako

This had a good start. Stories that try praise the industry they are part of or about the inner workings of the industry like Bakuman or some Lns are generally pretty garbage, but this cynical take on the subject does make it actually interesting to watch. It probably will run out of steam pretty quickly, but for now it's at least enjoyable.
Bakuman got boring like a few episodes in, since it had no real conflict and no real characters. The appeal was that it was so "inside", but imagine the NFL trying to make a documentary about Goodel or FIFA trying to make a documentary about Blatter. Dull, boring, and full of fake praise.

If this show is the opposite of that, then it's already one step ahead of the pack.

----

Twintails
FeI1U6pl.jpg

Fuck. This is Akibaranger x Daimidaler. I guess this makes it the best show of the season.

Link Man

Banned
Gender Morphin' Twintail Rangers 1

Easily the dumbest show this season. And it is glorious. Also, we might have an early contender for mom of the year.

jgminto

Short/medium hair > long hair so screw twintails.

Yo, is there any other reason why the dude suddenly take over the seat and use some kind of cape?

LOOOOOOOOOL

The thing that threw me off was my expectation that I'd never see the protagonist of a mecha anime take a shit in his cockpit that is occupied by three other people and a robot. I guess it was a foolish expectation.

Log Horizon 8

Man, I'm really liking this show. Shiroe is looking more and more like anime Batman. Seriously, homie is such a boss; has plans for days.

Also, I really hope they go into how The Apocalypse happened soon. It's bothering me that not much has been said about it.

Amagi - 2
We finally got the story going in this episode.
And yes, that refusal was totally justified and acceptable.

Infinite Twintails - 1
I think they realized how stupid the whole premise is and just said "FUCK IT, LETS JUST GO".
laughing_display.gif

Gazoinks

That Twintails Thing? 1

This is one of the more fascinatingly stupid things I've seen in a while. I'm not even sure what to say. It's like a sister series to Damidaler, and much like that series I will probably never watch another episode but will look back on the 1st with bemusement.

The mom is pretty great though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Chaika Avenging battle 1
Chaika need to raise her AGI/DEX. Wonder why she can't try to imitate her opponent incantation? Red Chaika next episode! YES!

Branduil

Amagi Brilliant Park 2

Eh, it's okay. And normally "okay" would be okay, but I can't help but feel like there's wasted potential in this. For one thing, if you're going to have magic powers, you could do a lot more with mind-reading than they've done so far. Best moment was definitely Kanie's Glengarry Glen Ross speech.

Soma

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 01

Very pretty episode.

Love how everything is so vibrant and colorful. The studio definitely did a good job at bringing the source material to life. Still though, after reading some of the manga I have some reservations about it. Not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of the characters. I find a lot of the side characters just too pushy and overbearing and the main character himself seems to be the butt of a little too many physical abuse gags for my tastes. Not to say that he doesn't deserve it at times because he's basically a walking doormat and needs to get his ass in gear but I find it annoying all the same. That said though, I want to keep up with this if only to see some later musical scenes in animated form. There's gonna be some really good set pieces from the manga that I'm anticipating will be very lovely in the show.

cajunator

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park 2

Eh, it's okay. And normally "okay" would be okay, but I can't help but feel like there's wasted potential in this. For one thing, if you're going to have magic powers, you could do a lot more with mind-reading than they've done so far. Best moment was definitely Kanie's Glengarry Glen Ross speech.

Ok now I really cant wait to see this episode.
ALWAYS BE CLOSING.

Link Man

Banned
Your lie in April 1

The designs in this are beautiful (for the most part), the musical focus is great, and I really find the backstory interesting and well-presented. That said, I'm afraid the anime humor and the reaction faces kind of ruin this for me. If this were a straight drama, it would be a much more interesting show for me; it would probably work even better as a movie in that format. I'll continue watching, but like Blue Spring Ride last season, it's going to be a battle between my interest in the story and the grating humor for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom