• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait, is sweet love patisserie related to yumeiro patisserie?

Because it sounds a lot like yumeiro patisserie.

Edit: in fact the plot synopsis is basically yumeiro patisserie except they added another guy.

Alright, AnimeGAF. Now you guys are going to have no excuse for not watching Conan.

And on the note of watching Conan...

Detective Conan 319:
This was another pretty solid anime original case. TMS has kind of been on a roll with these lately (knock on wood). The mystery was a pretty solid which although kind of convoluted, felt like it all flowed together pretty well, and the main cast had some really nice moments. I loved the epilogue scene with Kogorou's 'massage'.

jbug617

Banned
Amagi Brillant Park 2

Some points this episode the MC reminds me of Haru from Free. Especially the scene with
the blonde guy. It was like Haru vs Rin.

Best Girl

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
From what i can tell, it's aimed at a slightly older audience and has no fairies. They're only related by premise.

I'm wondering if it's a spin off though, because they are really similar.

I could go for a yumeiro patisserie aimed for an older demographic and without those goddamn fairies.

Mobile Suit Gundam The Movie I

The beginning of my epic UC Gundam marathon/semi-rewatch! It's been a long time since I've seen the original 0079 series, and I figure I might as well hurry it along by watching the compilation movies. Mostly all of it is just footage re-purposed from the original series, so not surprisingly some of the animation is pretty dated. That being said, some things hold up REMARKABLY well. The narration is alot like I remember it, mostly explaining the sides and that brief shot of the space colony being dropped during Operation British (yeah, I read the wiki!) Some directing choices really stuck out to me. In the first shot all we hear is what seems to be heavy breathing as the Zaku head slowly rises into frame, it's cyclops-like camera swiveling around. Fantastic way to start. Another small moment I like is Amuro trying to make himself shoot at Char and all you hear is some really convincing heavy breathing. Just great. A small thing I found weird was during Amuro and Char's space battle there's literally a moment where they appear as lines bouncing off each other DBZ style. I had no idea that animation technique was so old. The movie ends right at Gihren's famous Sieg Zeon speech, and at CorvoSol's suggestion I'm going to give the white base a break as I jump into 8th MS Team

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Alright, AnimeGAF. Now you guys are going to have no excuse for not watching Conan.

And on the note of watching Conan...

Detective Conan 319:
This was another pretty solid anime original case. TMS has kind of been on a roll with these lately (knock on wood). The mystery was a pretty solid which although kind of convoluted, felt like it all flowed together pretty well, and the main cast had some really nice moments. I loved the epilogue scene with Kogorou's 'massage'.
Conan sucks though, I don't need an excuse~

Defuser

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu ep 1

What the fuck did I just watch. Tokusatsu + Samurai Flamenco + Twintails. Uchida Maya reprises her Hakase role from Akibarangers and Nibutani having hots for Dekomori? This is one ridiculous dumbass concept, I guess I could watch this nonsense.

BluWacky

Good lord, I watched some anime.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 1

Some thoughts, mostly musical:

i) The 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata is my "aspirational" piano piece - I will never have the technique to be able to play it, and it was the last piece I ever tried to learn as a teenager. Damn fourteen year olds who put the hours in... but then, I never had the scary Tiger Mom pushing me to practice constantly, and the piano wasn't my main instrument.

ii) Why did the Crunchyroll translate the line about "Goose House's new song" to "The Millions' new song"? Are "The Millions" a US band I should have vaguely heard of? The whole point is that he's listening to the show's OP, which is sung by Goose House and is clearly labelled as such in the OP sequence itself. I just don't understand the localisation decision here.

iii) Execution is everything. A standard anime would have done the melodica sequence as a bunch of stills. It's amazing what difference putting effort into a fairly typical shoujo-esque romance does for enjoyment.

I hope that the main character (whose name I've already forgotten... whoops) can rediscover his love of music for reasons divorced from his mum. I had my first ever oboe lesson yesterday, many many years after I left school - there's nothing quite like learning to make music...

Defuser

1_20141011005835336swoqxw.jpg

21_20141011005951ea4sg0rou.jpg

Welcome to the new future of censoring. Time to retire light beams and black outs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gunpla nerds building robots.
Moe girls animating cartoons.
Fiddy managing theme parks.

This is a good season.

Kikirin

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso 1

As a former band geek who hasn't touched an instrument in years, I, too, am really digging this show.

Baby Steps 11:
Very tense match. Ei-chan matured a lot during this match, and it really panned out during the end.
Even though his gambit failed, it still managed to give him an edge, and although he was kind of lucky with that last return, he was in the spot to take advantage of it because of everything he did.
I'm getting fired up watching this show. It does all the things that I really like in my sports anime.

Acti

1_20141011005835336swoqxw.jpg

21_20141011005951ea4sg0rou.jpg

Welcome to the new future of censoring. Time to retire light beams and black outs.

I find this repulsive as fuck! Thinking of actualy wait for a blue ray version or something and then watch it... Even tough it's not that good of an anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako 01

WTF?! This was really, really good. Totally surprising. I guess anime is that abusive partner who regularly hits you across the face but you keep coming back because it can be really good to you sometimes.

Your yuri goggles are on overdrive.

They know how to shiptease.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 02

The big love that spreads throughout the world, Aki Lovely! I see the body swapping from the previous season is only making things more complicated. Akira's gotten more self confidence, and if anything, that makes her more dangerous. Ulrith-as-Iona according to Iona herself, is working towards... something. And I really get the feeling that Chiyori is going to be the monkey wrench in somebody's plan sooner or later. Dark Fantasy Friday is an interesting time.

Branduil

Honestly I'm kinda glad that they're not overplaying/overusing the magic so far. I would have preferred a story without any magic whatsoever though. I do expect the telekinesis stuff to play in later though.

Oh I would definitely prefer that as well, but if you're going to give someone magic powers, at least do something interesting with it.

Haly

Oh I would definitely prefer that as well, but if you're going to give someone magic powers, at least do something interesting with it.

He gets one shot per person. If I had a one shot mind reading power, I'd be really shrewd with it as well.

He gets one shot per person. If I had a one shot mind reading power, I'd be really shrewd with it as well.

Well, in the first episode with his sister it seemed like it just sort of happened that he read her mind. So can he just accidentally waste reading someone's mind?

Haly

Well, in the first episode with his sister it seemed like it just sort of happened that he read her mind. So can he just accidentally waste reading someone's mind?

Yeah, I think so!

It's probably really finicky.

We Code Geass now.

Jarmel

Banned
Kanye's ability is kinda shitty due to the one-time use.

I mean with Geass, even an one-time order was still extraordinarily useful.

Haly

Kanye's ability is kinda shitty due to the one-time use.
I think it's supposed to be shitty. If he had Lelouch's Geass, the story would be over too quick.

By applying severe limits to his magic abilities, the author can create more interesting storytelling scenarios, rather than arbitrarily preventing him from brute forcing his way to his goal.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 02

I can see several places where animation is being taken advantage of to do things that would be tough/nearly impossible to do in a live action series. Not just the setting, but quite a few of the setpieces, too. Leon's powers are too much for him to handle at this point, and I like Ema. The series maintains a bit of a pulp fiction feel, which I know applies to the main series, too.
The next episode looks to introduce another major element of the lore, the magical talking ring who assists Garo. Maybe he'll help Leon control his powers.

Acti

GARO -Seal of Flames- 02

I can see several places where animation is being taken advantage of to do things that would be tough/nearly impossible to do in a live action series. Not just the setting, but quite a few of the setpieces, too. Leon's powers are too much for him to handle at this point, and I like Ema. The series maintains a bit of a pulp fiction feel, which I know applies to the main series, too.
The next episode looks to introduce another major element of the lore, the magical talking ring who assists Garo. Maybe he'll help Leon control his powers.

Is it okay if I watch the anime first and then the live action?

Midonin

Is it okay if I watch the anime first and then the live action?
Absolutely. I'm doing the same thing. It helps that the anime is set several centuries before, and in a completely different country from, the toku part of the franchise.

zulux21

Took some pics of my anime collection since I've finally managed to sort everything:

I need to get mine that neat but it would take a lot of work... I took some quick picks (in its current messy state) just because I could... though a number of my series aren't even on my shelves right now ><: (i'd say my pics are missing at least 20 of my series) also included my manga cause why not :p

see I need way more order (and to clean in general... the place has fallen into a bit of chaos with me working so much these last few weeks ><)

I need to get mine that neat but it would take a lot of work... I took some quick picks (in its current messy state) just because I could... though a number of my series aren't even on my shelves right now ><: (i'd say my pics are missing at least 20 of my series) also included my manga cause why not :p

see I need way more order (and to clean in general... the place has fallen into a bit of chaos with me working so much these last few weeks ><)

Hehe. Building a tower there I see ;)

My-Hime seems like it might crash down :p

Amagi Brilliant Park: 1-2

So yeah, I decided to check this out along with everyone else.

It really is RCT, the anime. I like the main character. Rather than being the common idealist MC we usually see in anime, he's more of a realist on the inside, using his speech to rile everybody up to get them motivated while still knowing that the task ahead of him is almost impossible.

Though I'll have to agree with Jarmel about his power being pretty useless if it can only be used once-per-person. I mean, this could make way for some very contrived situations later on where he uses it on someone and that particular someone just so happened to be thinking the exact thing he needed to know the most. In Geass, the one-time-use made sense, as to not make Lelouch overpowered, given his ability. Here, it just feels pointless. They could have at least made it like Fate/Zero where he could only use it THREE times on someone, that'd be somewhat more acceptable.

But other than that, I hope it keeps up the pace it's running at. It's not too bad so far.

Pocket Monsters Best Wishes 1:

Ookido is looking sharp in his vacation look.

This is a strange first episode in many ways, and there's a real attempt to distance it from the past. The music is almost all new, but it works. I especially love the music which plays when they're driving through Kanoko Town in Professor Araragi's car. It's a lot different than the first episode of Diamond and Pearl, which was almost all about Hikari, with Satoshi and the Rocket Gang only showing up in the last 90 seconds. This is almost all Satoshi, with Iris getting a couple of quick scenes on her own which felt kind of out of place. Shootie also really comes across as a jerk, but not necessarily in the intriguing way that Shinji was.

Really, though, I have to say that Pikachu losing his ability to use his electric attacks is one of the dumbest plot ideas the writers for this series have ever come up with. Seriously, who was even thinking that was a good idea? It feels like a slap in the face honestly. And though I was prepared for the 'serious', not fun Rocket Gang trio from what I had heard other people say, it still feels really odd. Even when they try to steal Pikachu, it feels wrong. No motto after "Who are you guys?"? No laughter after Pikachu's attack is blocked? This just feels...wrong. Where are the Musashi, Kojirou and Nyarth that I love?

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's supposed to be shitty. If he had Lelouch's Geass, the story would be over too quick.

By applying severe limits to his magic abilities, the author can create more interesting storytelling scenarios, rather than arbitrarily preventing him from brute forcing his way to his goal.

Oh I fully understand. If he had mind-reading without any constraints, the show would be over fairly quickly.

cajunator

Banned
Engaged to the unidentified 1

Who the hell eats soft boiled eggs with ketchup?

Im sure plenty of countries traditionally do that.

Mouretsu Pirate 18-26 [END]

What a boss fight.

very interesting journey hat I been watch. the strength clearly world building and how the construct it with many intereting character and history.

cannot wait for movie

Pretty obvious ironbread is marika dad

Chiaki is the best! Space Pirates is such a fun concept and the show did it justice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom