• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about laws. Censorship is generally left to the discretion of individual stations. Some are willing to air pretty much anything, some aren't. But the main broadcaster also dictates the content level for everyone else, so if it's heavily censored because it's on Tokyo MX, then every other territory and stream gets the same TV master.

Oh. Thanks for explanation. Made me wonder couple of times why some shows tend to get away with more gore and nudity. Well I guess I wait for BDs like with Mirai Nikki.

Link Man

Banned
Its like Japan can't get enough of censors these days.

ibuvi3FzYVKxIG.jpg

selector spread WIXOSS 02

Christ this show is somehow getting darker and more depressing and its about a fucking children's card game. I honestly feel bad for Akky because she's clearly getting her heart toyed with in order to have Iona's wish fulfilled and she's to suddenly love struck to realize it. Hope Ru gets a wake up call soon cause she's getting annoying with her Tama crying.

Amagi Brillent Park 02

Ok episode I guess. Not a lot happened, but MC made a nice speech and got everyone fired up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Been delving into my backlog. Finally watched some of the outstanding Young Animator Training Project shows I hadn't seen yet.

I can see why Death Billiards had such positive reviews. I assume if I hunt through the older threads I can read some of your theories about the ending. Ryo tried to compress too much of a story intoo uih one episode and really would benefit from being a series. Also requires you to be familiar with that period of history which unfortunately I am not. As for Arve Rezzle… do we need more shows about the dangers of an online game with incestuous undertones?

Moyashimon 09

Surströmming saves the day.

We get to know how Hasegawa and the professor met, there's dinner with her father, her very old looking fiancé and some intruders and Sawaki finds out where Kei has been...

Branduil

Been delving into my backlog. Finally watched some of the outstanding Young Animator Training Project shows I hadn't seen yet.

I can see why Death Billiards had such positive reviews. I assume if I hunt through the older threads I can read some of your theories about the ending. Ryo tried to compress too much of a story intoo uih one episode and really would benefit from being a series. Also requires you to be familiar with that period of history which unfortunately I am not. As for Arve Rezzle… do we need more shows about the dangers of an online game with incestuous undertones?

iQnfGo4BlayF.gif

ibhaeiEHV3iDZG.gif

cajunator

Banned
I need to get mine that neat but it would take a lot of work... I took some quick picks (in its current messy state) just because I could... though a number of my series aren't even on my shelves right now ><: (i'd say my pics are missing at least 20 of my series) also included my manga cause why not :p

see I need way more order (and to clean in general... the place has fallen into a bit of chaos with me working so much these last few weeks ><)

Took some pics of my anime collection since I've finally managed to sort everything:

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

I can see why Death Billiards had such positive reviews. I assume if I hunt through the older threads I can read some of your theories about the ending. Ryo tried to compress too much of a story intoo uih one episode and really would benefit from being a series. Also requires you to be familiar with that period of history which unfortunately I am not. As for Arve Rezzle&#8230; do we need more shows about the dangers of an online game with incestuous undertones?

Indeed Death billiards is awesome.

http://abload.de/img/1_20141011005835336swoqxw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/21_20141011005951ea4sg0rou.jpg[IMG]

Welcome to the new future of censoring. Time to retire light beams and black outs.[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha. Oh man. Is there any point? I mean, Hyakka Ryouran censorship is more creative than this.

April is Your Lie - 01
Your Lie in April - 01
About April Your Lie - 01

I love classical music and Nodame Cantibile is one of my favourite anime. This was pretty shitty.

Yet again another example of Japan's obsession with blonde haired, blue eyed chicks this show failed to exact anything out from me except for my disdain for how bland and predictable it is. Yes the main character is slightly different due to his backstory, but that makes no difference whatsoever to everything else in the show. It's again a story of a loser kid with a female childhood friend who has a "perfect" girl drop into his lap. First episode and we are already with the sexual misunderstandings alongsude a bunch of "baka" and "hentai" shouting as a replacement for actual comedy. At least the animation is good.

CorvoSol

Selector Infected WiXross2

Where do I even begin? First of all FUCKING STOP USING X TO SYMBOL THE K SOUND OF CROSS, JAPAN. THAT ISN'T HOW THE SYMBOL WORKS. YOU WANT IT TO BE A CROSS? DON'T FUCKING ADD ROSS YOU DIPSHITS. FUCKING STOP IT. JUST. STOP.

Okay good, now let's get more into why this show is already a flaming ball of shit. First of all we're ripping off Yugioh and Madoka here, and with that comes the litany of sins that are already part of those shows, but there's something that happens in this episode I'd really, really like to talk about instead:

The completely irrational way in which the psychotic stalker girl gets their addresses. She "corners" them in a wide as fuck open place and just says "I'm not letting you leave until I get your addresses!" There are THREE of them. One of 'em's a dude. If they wanted to beat her into a fucking bloody pulp, rip out her sternum and use it to play ping pong with her empty fucking skull they could, because bitchlord here is outgunned. Not that they'd need to resort to physical violence, mind you. All they'd have to do is walk away, because holy shit they're in a public place and lil bitchy, despite her Sonic the Hedgehog warping power, cannot possible impede they're exit.

BETTER STILL, they could have boy over here hold the girl while the two Selectors just fucking leave. She can't need his address, and he could just stand their and breathe on her.

So much breathing.

Anyway, so psychotic stalker bitch lord somehow manages to extract their addresses for NO REASON and it's just shown me how completely I don't understand how anime people think. Because this shit happened in Sword Art Online with Heathcliff and Asuna and I really do not understand why or how this happened.

Also, I would be remiss in this rant if I didn't point out the terribly written incest subplot! Like way to reinforce that incest is great Japan by having a group of children with no faces mocking our adorable heroine as a child when she said she wanted to marry her brother. Now, its normal for kids to say silly stuff like this. My nephew's said he wants to marry his mommy times beyond counting. He also has said he has a grandson and that he owns a monkey named Lightning McQueen. Kids are wacky, but that's not the point. The problem is the way this scene is framed. By having faceless adversaries mocking a defenseless child for something she cannot control the writer aims to generate sympathy in the audience and thereby reinforce that the thing the little girl is being mocked for is good and okay. Don't believe me?

Journey with me here for a moment:

zXBFwAN.png

Once upon a time there was this extremely popular, genre forming, wildly influential masterpiece little show called Great Mazinger. It starred, among others, this young woman named Jun Hono, who was half Japanese, half African. In the scene above Jun, as a child, is, yes, being mocked by a band of faceless children for something entirely beyond her control. The point of the scene and the episode was to help Japanese people understand that race isn't bad, and that nobody should be discriminated against, thought less of, or treated worse because of their race.

If that sounds at all familiar to you its because that's what the writer is trying to say with WiXross: that incest is somehow okay, nobody should be thought less of, and that, essentially, wanting to fuck your family is totally hot. Except that unlike race there are actual, serious problems with promoting and permitting incest.

So the enormous question of "What kind of show is Wixross?" is now answered for me in part: A bankrupt show. Both creatively and morally, given the shameless theft of other show's plots and the absolutely insane incest propaganda its shaping up to be.

corvo pls

Twintails 01

Finally a show to the best hairstyle ever invented. Black tails is best tails. Guilty pleasure of the season, I don't need to justify my love of this show to you nerds!!

Mature

Oh my gosh, I never realized it was supposed to be said wi-cross or whatever, haha. In my head I've been saying "wicksross".

Conan-san

Wow, I thought I was getting lucky with just the one Fantasy Business series (Log HOrizon 2) but Amagai Brillant Park is starting to grow towards becoming 2 for 2.

I look foreward to the day ABP needs a season 2 only to get cock blocked by shit like Free like I do the coming of both Ebola and UKIP.

CorvoSol

Petition: Can we add Samurai Flamenco to The List yet?

It really doesn't need to be debated, right? This is going to be a unanimous decision, I'm sure, but I figured we might as well try to make this official, guys. It's time we talk about the clear candidate for The List: Samurai Flamenco. Allow me to just reminisce with you all for a few minutes about how this show was before really getting into it, okay?

Once upon a time this show was on, and for like, the first six episodes it seemed like it was little more than Kick Ass with Pretty Boys. The show felt a bit like it was a Boy's Love to me, and I kinda set it aside for a very brief period of time. Around the seventh episode it seemed that the central plot, Masayoshi's quest to become a Super Hero, had petered out with revelations about his crap granddad and we were going to move into a full on (b)romance.

Then magical things happened. The show blew upward and outward in a big way. Suddenly we were powerrangers and we were the Avengers and we were fighting fetishes and soap bars and then Alien Invasions and then we were Metal Gear Flamengeance and then things whipped back into some crazy psychological stuff before a pants dropping finale. It was a wild ride, and I don't know anybody who doesn't have a blackened heart who didn't enjoy this show by the end because of how absolutely insane it was.

So let's talk about why Samurai Flamenco belongs on The List. Keeping in mind that The List is not a measure of quality, but rather of that je ne sais quoi that makes something that is obviously insane remain entertaining.

LkuOlVI.jpg

Fanta is reason enough.

1. Samurai Flamenco has been well-watched. By this I mean that a significant number of people here in the community watched it. That means we should be able to actually talk about it. Admittedly a number of things on The List are really obscure, but agreement upon entrance to a community list requires input from the community.

2. Samurai Flamenco is batshit insane. I mean, come on guys. We're talking
Guillotine apes, VIVA TORTURE, FROM BEYOND, FLAMENGERS, APPROVAL RATING POWERED SUPER ARMOR, BECOMING GOD, VICTORY THROUGH NAKED MARRIAGE PROPOSALS.
The show was undeniably insane.

3. Samurai Flamenco is enjoyable. Now, obviously enjoyment is subjective, but even entries already on The List are that way. The best I can really advance here is that the show has a neck-break pace of constant escalation of insanity that is as manic as it is relentless. If you're looking for a series of one ups of absurdity, then I think SamFlam has that for you in spades.

nTfyRYt.jpg

Can I just count this robot as a reason?

4. Samurai Flamenco is, uh, written. I want to say "well written" but I worry some of you out there will mistake what I mean. It's not any sort of life changing, emotionally charged work that will make you rethink your life, but the cast undergoes some significant development over the show's run, and that development is a series of, well, reasonable responses to the fantastical situations through with they pass. For as absurd as Samurai Flamenco is, the more human and dramatic elements the show contains serve as a strange sort of grounding which keep it from being the kind of annoying "HAR HAR HAR SO CRAZY" gags that plagued certain children's comedy shows back in the mid 00s.

But seriously, guys, its Samurai Flamenco. We all know it belongs on The List more than anything else we've watched in the last year.

Mature

Flamenco is on my list of things to watch and complete by the end of the year. I enjoy Hideyuki Kurata's stuff on average, and Maria the Virgin Witch looks like it should be fun.

duckroll

Your Lie In April - Episode 1

The premise is kinda generic, but I like how the show looks. The backgrounds are pretty attractive, and there's great use of color throughout. The tone of the show seems rather odd to me though. At times it's the exact sort of show I would enjoy watching - slow quiet moments where characters are just doing something or reflecting on something, without much dialogue, with good camera work. At other times it turns into this stupid comedy which I don't find funny at all - it's hard to ignore a scene where someone is assaulted by a baseball and is bleeding everywhere, but somehow no one really cares and it's fine in a moment. Or when an appreciation of an ad-hoc performance turns into an underskirt misunderstanding, complete with SD physical abuse scenes. Hopefully it gets better.

---

Amagi Brilliant Park - Episode 2

You know, I can kinda dig this premise, but it's still so surreal. It's somehow no enough to just make a Theme Park anime about a struggling amusement outlet dealing with creditors and closure. No, we gotta add a phantasy plot about how amusements parks are really conduits of power for fairy kingdoms, audience happiness as a magical power source, and a high school student cum ex-child superstar being a prophecized hero. It's all a bit too silly and a bit munch, but at the same time the show is approaching the material so earnestly it's impossible to ignore the depressing underlying tone. At the very least... at least the show is unique I guess.

Samurai Flamenco is a life changing show, if you watch it you will be a better person. Fully endorsed.
Although I won't deny watching it week by week brought me insane enjoyment, but just straight marathoning it will be a different experience too

Flamenco was better before Guillotine Gorilla.

LIES, LIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom