• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Chaika AB-10
rbZnhFb.gif

Bravo! Bravo!

Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE 10 END

50b7b5ff40.jpg

What we got

yrfxee.jpg

What we could've got

See, this is what happens when you make your robot girls too smart. Some pretty good fights in this episode, but the most I can say about the ending was "It was okay." Second season was like this the entire time.

I guess with the war over Akari just gets to sit around and write fanfiction all day while Little Red Riding Chaika constantly busts down the door.
I await the Fredrika spinoff series.

I want more kisses in my non-ecchi anime, especially in final episodes where there should be catharsis. I really enjoyed the kiss between Toru and Chaika, finally after all this we get some sweet... no wait. THERE WAS NONE. TOO LEWT FOR ANIME!

At least Parasyte delivered this episode? Well, not really though. It was a still image after all. 4/10

Worst is still FMA:B...
all that sexual tension between Hawkeye and Mustang throughout the series, but no time for that since there were bigger, more important matters. But then we get to the end and it's catharsis, finally it's over. All the stress and fear of losing each other...and maybe we can have a hint of a kiss at least? NO, FUCK THAT! Instead we'll see Mustang become no general or s.th. :/

Oh and don't even get me started on Ed and Winry.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 10

Pretty funny episode if you ask me. I gotta say the brown haired girl in those scenes with the Sekai's sister was the best of all the models. Funny episode though. I gotta say the guy's reactions to nutshot and the winner of the race both had me laughing

Do people actually think Kana is that bad? I thought the whole point of the dream sequence in the beginning was to show that she's a little off. Maybe I don't watch enough anime or something but she comes off as more of a loony stalker-ish girl rather than rather than just being a poorly written female who's only personality is liking the MC.

cajunator

Banned
Maybe the formula for a good show is hidden in MC's fluffy hair.

You know Zachy, you may have a point!

I was approaching that from the opposite angle. The question I wanted to ask was "If a series has a largely/mostly female cast, why does the Western fandom automatically write it off?" (Like K-ON! becoming a scapegoat for the menace of "moe", even though there's one or two series like that per season, at best, when there's 20-40 shows every season. It's such a small number.) I know there are some series that are well-liked, but things like Madoka (violence/darkness) and Sabagebu (equally violent) come to mind - things that take on the values they're looking for, instead of being looked at on their own merits.

Western world hates giving women positions of power for some reason. Its ridiculous.
There was that metric where shows were criticized for not having a independent female character who doesnt just talk about men with other girls and a lot of western shows failed it, but a lot of anime passed the test. I forget what its called.

Yeah see, that's my problem. Why do the "nice, happy-go-lucky, slice-of-life" anime always have the main group involve girls only? Is there some kind of law in Japan where if you have an anime where one boy enters a group of four or more girls it immediately has to engorge itself with harem antics, love triangles, and melodrama?

Seriously, is there no show out there where one guy interacts with a group of girls and they just do nice things a la K-ON! or Non Non Biyori with no real story or drama whatsoever?

Its kind of the reverse but you might like nichibros. Its mostly a comedy slice of life show like the all girl ones (and there are still girl groups in it) but it doesnt have a lot of drama or anything, mostly skit gags. I dont think any one particular show really has the exact dynamic you are thinking of and its a shame.

Shin Sekai Yori 18

Oh look it's a "shit gets real and goes down" episode. And a great one at that.
I'm sure that Yokomaru, being the sleazy weasel that he is, has more aces up his sleeve than he showed here but even taking that into account, it's hard to imagine him going up against the power that was at display in this episode.

I'm actually kind of happy that Maria and the guy no one gives a shit about seem to have bit the bullet. That would save me from the tear inducing Saki&Maria reunion. Though with Squealer having a Cantus user among his ranks, that option seem to not be out of the table yet. (Especially given the large amount of time they spend on Maria.)

Also, no idea what the hell is the deal with the naked magic lady popping up out of nowhere again. So much stuff happened since the 4th episode that I thought they dropped that particular plot point.

Yeah I would have to say some of your fears might be realized and some not. And you still dont know about a few things that will be very painfully clear soon.
This show is strong to the very end.

Chaika AB - 10 [End]

It finally happened!
I liked most of the episode, but man was this an anti climatic way to beat Gaz. It all happened so fast in the end, this should have started 2 episodes ago, and give the ending more time.
Gaz just kinda went down like a bitch without much of a climax for this villain that's had 2 seasons to hype up as the greatest wizard ever. The scene before with him fucking up Toru and Fredrika was awesome though. The weapon then deciding to fuck off and join Chaika, I didn't like that one bit.
I think S2 started strong, and had one too many filler of not much progress, into an ending that was not given enough time. I enjoyed Chaika very much despite it's shortcomings, and I look forward to the OVA.

Chaika overall:
7/10 Chaikas

hnnng Red Chaika

Chaika AB's main problem is it was rushed because of that stupid 10 episode only rule the company goes for. It severely stifles shows and it pisses me off to no end.

Read or Die The TV 12-14

The "Twilight of the Papers" two-parter was very good. Felt like a nice culmination of the first half of the show, and Anita confirmed that maybe books and Nenene aren't so bad after all. When the episode ends with
a building sinking,
you know the stakes have been raised. Nenene's pretty tough herself - she was resisting the brainwashing even without the Paper Sisters intervening. I'm somewhat more mixed on episode 14. Half lengthy exposition (though it does tie nicely into the OVA), half quasi-recap. At least it was a chance to disengage my brain for a little bit, at least when the recap started. Looking forward to seeing what the second half of the show brings. That answering machine message sounded awfully familiar.

Yep, shits about to hit the fan!
I dont want to comment much because some serious spoilers are ahead.

Dunno if it is my internet or Crunchyroll, but the videos on that site never seem to play properly. Can't get through a single episode without insane freezing and stuttering.

CR always has issues, but I notice more of it is Chrome related and firefox clears it up. Maybe chrome is just awful.

Noragami - 04

Pls stop bully the Yato. Well he does take advantage of Kofuku, so fine go on. Her Instrument Daikoku is the real star of the episode though, and handa-sensei voice ~
The whole falling bit was great. Kofuku's reveal was well timed to say the least. There hasn't been much of a directive besides getting more jobs as of yet, which I'm fine with as it keeps on being entertaining.
More seems to be going on though as with this Instrument Yato killed and the fact that he is a god of war with some nasty rumours.

I might have to eventually watch this. It interests me for reasons.

kewlmyc

Chaika AB END:

I was expecting it to be rushed, but what a shit way to end the final villain. It was so anticlimatic. And the ending left a lot of questions that hopefully get answered in the OVA in March. I can understand that 2 episodes got cut, but apparently the first 3 episodes of this second season were anime original. We could have cut that and so we could spend more time actually being coherent to the novels. Maybe then the ending would have had more time. There was 11 novels to adapt and the first season had 2 episodes per volume. 22 episodes should have been fine if they kept that up, but the 3 anime original episodes fucked things up because they ended up fusing the last 3 novels together into the incoherent mess we got.

At least we got Dragoon Toru.

Himemiya

Western world hates giving women positions of power for some reason. Its ridiculous.
There was that metric where shows were criticized for not having a independent female character who doesnt just talk about men with other girls and a lot of western shows failed it, but a lot of anime passed the test. I forget what its called.

The Bechdel Test? Then again just because something passes it doesn't mean it's good portrayal of women/girls, especially in the case of anime where it can often be just a product of an industry that loves to give otaku weird purity displays, minimizing males for that very reason. How is being a fictional character, let alone one in a moe SOL show, even considered a position of power?

cajunator

Banned
The Bechdel Test? Then again just because something passes it doesn't mean it's good portrayal of women/girls, especially in the case of anime where it can often be just a product of an industry that loves to give otaku weird purity displays, minimizing males for that very reason. How is being a fictional character, let alone one in a moe SOL show, even considered a position of power?

yeah thats the test

John Blade

Noir Ep 7 Impression

Another mission episode but you have some more detail about the word NOIR and what it mean and a bit more info of Mireille flash back. Nothing much to say really and because this style of format is been done from the previous episode, I can see why it's a slow show from the start. Will keep on trucking a bit.

cajunator

Banned
Noir Ep 7 Impression

Another mission episode but you have some more detail about the word NOIR and what it mean and a bit more info of Mireille flash back. Nothing much to say really and because this style of format is been done from the previous episode, I can see why it's a slow show from the start. Will keep on trucking a bit.

Around episode 13 or 14 the main plot kicks in so stick with the constant flashbacks and random missions. It does go somewhere.

Inou Battle - 10

Yes pools are a good choice for dates , unless you're in the harem route and unaware of this.

So everybody took notice of the trigger and gainax references , while ignore that berserk figure

Berserk > kill la kill .

John Blade

Noir Ep 8 Impression

Just finish the episode just now. All I can say other than it's another mission episode, it have a decent fight scene with Kirika against two of the assistant which keep your attention a bit. More flashback from Mireille and her childhood. Also, you meet Mireille greatest fear and maybe childhood friend, Lady Silvana Greone. Kinda interested to see some more character development with Mireille as this is maybe the 1st time you can see some fear in her in the show.

cajunator

Banned
Noir Ep 8 Impression

Just finish the episode just now. All I can say other than it's another mission episode, it have a decent fight scene with Kirika against two of the assistant which keep your attention a bit. More flashback from Mireille and her childhood. Also, you meet Mireille greatest fear and maybe childhood friend, Lady Silvana Greone. Kinda interested to see some more character development with Mireille as this is maybe the 1st time you can see some fear in her in the show.

just a bit more and the flashbacks will change as more is revealed.
Nearly there.

Akatsuki no Yona - 09
Feels like the plot is moving faster, now that a goal is set and the princess is in learning mode.

That killing intent was nice , screw the regular princesses, fighting princesses are where the good's at !
Akatsuki%20no%20Yona%20-%2009_02.jpg

A good decision , for sure with many consequences ( good ones , i hope )

Even if they cry afterwards.

The party of 3 was surprisingly decent , good vibes even if they have things to work out between them.
Haku need to stop the "i'll protect you" routine, even if Il was a good man , no way everything he did was fine , otherwise he wouldn't have ended like this. So let her take the bow .

Akatsuki%20no%20Yona%20-%2009_01.jpg

can't wait what the blanter willbe like once the harem will be complete.

So far so good .

John Blade

just a bit more and the flashbacks will change as more is revealed.
Nearly there.

Will stick on it as I do want to watch the show all the way (I am one of those people who will watch the show from beginning to the end). This will be my 1st time watching it so, like to see how the story is develop.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just re watched episode 9 of Nanatsu no Taizai. That was one of the most awesome battle scenes I've seen in a Shonen anime. If anyone is debating whether to drop it, at least drop it after that episode.

cajunator

Banned
Will stick on it as I do want to watch the show all the way (I am one of those people who will watch the show from beginning to the end). This will be my 1st time watching it so, like to see how the story is develop.

I think youll really like it.
Ive seen several anime since that have a similar premise but Noir approached it in a way I really enjoyed.

I'd have to sit down and watch it. Guessing it's either a recovered core from episode 9 of S2 or it's a by-product of adaptation where they're taking liberties in the (ultimately unimportant) reason for the Americans to be infiltrating.

Either of those could be the reason. I have no idea which one it is, though, and I doubt the OVA explains.

Episode 9 is where
the big boob naked girl dies
isnt it? That episode was kind of strange and didnt fit the tone of the rest of the show IMO. It was brutal too damn.
Oh right, THAT episode of R.O.D. The TV. I have no idea what they were thinking with that, but it shouldn't have happened, and you're right that it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series at all. :(

I dont see Charles, Laura, or Tatenashi in those pictures. You posted the wrong ones.
I will forgive this mistake.
That guy just has bad taste in IS girls, clearly. Your choices are much better.

I also thought the actual story was confusing and I went to do a quick read of the volume the OVA covers. There appears to be ALOT of stuff missing.
For the American girl, she loses but then they decide to release her instead of taking her prisoner and then she's all like 'hey maybe you'll need me here's my number'. As for Tabane, she seems to have her own plans.
Ah, that explains a lot! The anime really needed to mention that.

The bad guys from S2 approach her to make them IS, she refuses but then sees Madoka and becomes all giddy and accepts to make her her own IS
Didn't S2 have some kind of meeting between Tabane and the villain group, though? I remember something like that anyway... but that doesn't really explain to me why now she seemed to be doing this coordinated attack with the American commandos. In the anime this whole American commandos / villain group thing has been so ridiculously incompetently done, they show so little of them and even less of their motivations. I can't make much sense out of the plot, even after a full season and OVA with them as the villains. And this OVA didn't show most of the villain group, either, including Madoka. :S
Basically they decided with S2 to be mostly about the fanservice side of things, which means that the plot has so little time that what's left of it makes no sense because of seriously lacking explanations. As I said this OVA might have as much plot as most of S2 does all combined, but still the fanservice and action took up most of the episode, and the story side is very confusing and doesn't have almost any explanations of anything, even though they're needed.

OVA needed more of best girl, Tatenashi.
She was in it a fair amount, though... I mean, even more would be nice, but she had a good number of scenes.

Infinite Stratos 2 World Purge
this was simply amazing, 44 minutes better than the 2 seasons.
I'd probably take it over season 2, sure, but let's not get crazy now, S1 was a masterpiece!

I think youll really like it.
Ive seen several anime since that have a similar premise but Noir approached it in a way I really enjoyed.
There are four shows in the "Girls with guns" series of sorts -- in order of release, Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja, and as a spinoff I guess (released between Noir and Madlax), Avenger. Noir is my favorite as well, and Madlax my least favorite; the other two are in between. All four are good and worth watching, but yeah, Noir was the best.

cajunator

Banned
Either of those could be the reason. I have no idea which one it is, though, and I doubt the OVA explains.

Oh right, THAT episode of R.O.D. The TV. I have no idea what they were thinking with that, but it shouldn't have happened, and you're right that it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series at all. :(

That guy just has bad taste in IS girls, clearly. Your choices are much better.

Ah, that explains a lot! The anime really needed to mention that.

Didn't S2 have some kind of meeting between Tabane and the villain group, though? I remember something like that anyway... but that doesn't really explain to me why now she seemed to be doing this coordinated attack with the American commandos. In the anime this whole American commandos / villain group thing has been so ridiculously incompetently done, they show so little of them and even less of their motivations. I can't make much sense out of the plot, even after a full season and OVA with them as the villains. And this OVA didn't show most of the villain group, either, including Madoka. :S
Basically they decided with S2 to be mostly about the fanservice side of things, which means that the plot has so little time that what's left of it makes no sense because of seriously lacking explanations. As I said this OVA might have as much plot as most of S2 does all combined, but still the fanservice and action took up most of the episode, and the story side is very confusing and doesn't have almost any explanations of anything, even though they're needed.

She was in it a fair amount, though... I mean, even more would be nice, but she had a good number of scenes.

I'd probably take it over season 2, sure, but let's not get crazy now, S1 was a masterpiece!

There are four shows in the "Girls with guns" series of sorts -- in order of release, Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja, and as a spinoff I guess (released between Noir and Madlax), Avenger. Noir is my favorite as well, and Madlax my least favorite; the other two are in between. All four are good and worth watching, but yeah, Noir was the best.

Bee Train specialized in that particular story for some reason. I was a sucker for it and ended up buying three of those.

Parasyte Episode 11:

Right, so this episode seemed about mostly about tying up the shipping options and also that Murano is still dull and boring, but at least the harem has a strong inkling of what is going on around them. The series also answers the question of to make the Parasites a threat given recent events and the answer is rather concerning. All and all kind of a dull episode but the future is promising.

you watched that hilarious dream and the badass smiling man Oldboy fight and came up with 'dull episode'?

Shinichi riding
a majestic horse
made me laugh my ass off.

Akatsuki no yona - 10

No much happenned , except recruiting and backstory.

But

This guy running joke is just so perfect.

And

I can look forward to so many intresting party chatter .

Grandma was great , very intresting .. and now the first recruit is done. I'm really liking where this show is going. The jokes , the light moments are such a contrast when thing are serious. I'll admit this show needed thoe moments after so much politicla intrigue 3 eps ago.

Himemiya

yeah thats the test

Yeah, but you're dodging the silliness of your positions-of-power comment.

For those who don't know, there's an IndieGoGo campaign for one of the Animator Expo shorts. It looks very unique: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animated-short-film-ochibi#home

Looks unique but how is the rest of Animator Expo funded, and why do they crowdsource the one short that's more personal to the Anno family? To connect with fans of their brand like they sort of say?

gdgd Fairies S2 9-12 end

Worth watching! They got a lot of comedy out of the single mom and the baseball coach thing and other odd bits which was great. Punchline was delayed for episodes to make a really weird and clustered one at the end of the stadium ep.

Shengar

The reverse hold true as well: when a work doesn't pass the test, it doesn't make it automatically bad. Sometimes, the simple outlook on the structure of the plot and narration makes them unable to pass the test, but in the end still have high degree of agency and personality.

Clov

Looks unique but how is the rest of Animator Expo funded, and why do they crowdsource the one short that's more personal to the Anno family? To connect with fans of their brand like they sort of say?

I'm guessing that this one requires crowdsourcing due to how its produced. Stop-motion is very time consuming, and what they're doing here does look quite difficult. I hope that this makes it.

John Blade

Noir Ep 9 Impression

This will be my last episode I will watch today. This just continuation with the previous episode with more back story of Mireille past which flush out a bit more when she was a child and her friend. More action scene which is decent to watch and keep you on your toe a bit.

The ending of the episode kinda push Mireille to fight her fear against Lady Silvana Greone which end tragedy (which you kinda see and expected a bit). Still, another mission have been completed and a bit more info about the Les Soldats and the past have been reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom