• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Guys has been killed by Epic (Epic Account required for use on Steam version)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
But the platform is still open. You still can download games from Steam, GoG or whatever... they paid so the games would be exclusive to their storefront, that's just it. And in order to that, they also need the approval of the publisher, so they're not the only one to blame. I won't say I support this kind of practice (I don't), but right now they're the only ones capable of somewhat rival Steam, so it seems that playing aggressive was an strategy that worked for them.
and who else has done that on PC and not gotten backlash? bottom line for me is that instead of making incentives in their service to use their store they paid to keep games off other stores that provided better services.

Codes 208

Nope, you're just down for whatever they want you to do and don't care about ownership. Edit : You do realize you can't unlock things in eternal single player without signing up right?

I bought the game, it's mine and no 38 page user agreement on fucking crash bandicoot racing will change that, pubs.

Ever since doom i've researched what the game will ask of me after purchase
Sheets and silly requirements is definitely a bethesda move to make and they have rightfully received flak for it. But no, you pirating an illegal copy just to spite them is still petty

Hinedorf

Banned
The weirdest thing about this whole thread is the few individuals pumping Epics ass so hard to say this is no big deal.

This is a totally scummy move, has absolutely nothing to do with the requirement of linking an Epic account and EVERYTHING to do with the practice required in trying to steal a player base due to being a completely shitty company

Fucking paid Epic shills in this thread no doubt

Tripolygon

Banned
Either case is not a free choice.
Yes it is free choice. At no point are they limiting you from playing the game on the hardware you own. You have free choice to buy the game you just choose not to because you personally don't like the company's practice of buying exclusive games. That is a choice you made and it is perfectly ok.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
That driveby

No hyperbole here, Fall Guys will be dead on PC. Not competitive enough to have a big scene like Rocket League nor is it free to play like RL either.

Fuck I don't even care, hope they lose tons of money.

Doesn't Fortnite require an Epic account? Yeah, bunch of games in graveyards, am I right?

nikos

I’ve been waiting for cross-platform progression since the game released, so this is good for me.

plushyp

Gamers are the worst group of people.
Ow_the_edge.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The weirdest thing about this whole thread is the few individuals pumping Epics ass so hard to say this is no big deal.

This is a totally scummy move, has absolutely nothing to do with the requirement of linking an Epic account and EVERYTHING to do with the practice required in trying to steal a player base due to being a completely shitty company

Fucking paid Epic shills in this thread no doubt

They already bought the playerbase.

EGS sucks; but you don't have to be a paid shill to think people are overdramatic about having to create an account they can use throwaway info on to play a game.

The game is adding cross progression; probably coming to other platforms besides Playstation too... this is just normal practice, if it wasn't Epic doing it, you'd have to create a "Fall Guys.com" account to do cross progression as you always need a 3rd party account for that to work.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeaaaaaah, this twists the knife for sure. Seems like a pretty scrummy and unnecessary thing to do. I'm sure they have their "reasons" for it, but considering the game's infrastructure, I'm sure they could've taken several other routes that didn't require something like this.

Juza

Are people who complain about "personal info" just... unaware that nothing really.. requires it?

lol

dkIZ7h5.png
So what the purpose of requiring an Epic account?

Increasing the number of accounts using Epic services?
Either this way or the way it happened recently with Shadow of the Tomb Raider? (which the players forced to create an Epic account, and then backtracked after the backlash)

IntentionalPun

So what the purpose of requiring an Epic account?

Increasing the number of accounts using Epic services?
Either this way or the way it happened recently with Shadow of the Tomb Raider? (which the players forced to create an Epic account, and then backtracked after the backlash)
It's how all cross progression works. You link to the company who owns the game's services.

This could have been w/o Epic involvements and the game would still need a 3rd party "Fall Guy" account for it all to work.

As it stands, there is no concept of a "Fall Guy" account and the company is owned by Epic.

They could not require it, but that gets kinda messy.. you can end up with shit like the Minecraft situation where they have a version of an entire version of the game that doesn't require an MS account.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Yes it is free choice. At no point are they limiting you from playing the game on the hardware you own. You have free choice to buy the game you just choose not to because you personally don't like the company's practice of buying exclusive games. That is a choice you made and it is perfectly ok.

Not if incompatibilism is true:

Sheets and silly requirements is definitely a bethesda move to make and they have rightfully received flak for it. But no, you pirating an illegal copy just to spite them is still petty
So basically you complain about shitty practices but reward them anyway. Brilliant...

Juza

It's how all cross progression works. You link to the company who owns the game's services.

This could have been w/o Epic involvements and the game would still need a 3rd party "Fall Guy" account for it all to work.

As it stands, there is no concept of a "Fall Guy" account and the company is owned by Epic.

They could not require it, but that gets kinda messy.. you can end up with shit like the Minecraft situation where they have a version of an entire version of the game that doesn't require an MS account.
So it should be optional for who want cross progression.

IntentionalPun

Then they'll do a identity check, ban you and you'll lose all your purchases.

Doesn't really matter. It's the reason they're requiring the account.

Identity check? What are you even talking about?

Purchases for the Steam version still go through... Steam.. for the Playstation version... PSN...

And the separate account is the only feasible way to do cross progression. That's what is being enabled with this.. you can buy/earn things on PC and own them on Playstation, or visa-versa.

Holammer

Is this not normal? My kids needed an Xbox account to play Minecraft on Switch.
That's normal, but what sets this apart is that they added a new account requirement, it's not an optional feature.
It no longer works as advertised, that's why Valve refunds no questions asked as EU will have their ass if they don't or class action lawsuits in America.

Kadve

jeremy-clarkson-oh-no-anyway-top-gear.jpg

This stuff happens. It not like the game has been removed or otherwise cant be played.

Last edited:
All these fuckers in here going "GOD 🙄 gamers amirite?" are some real fucking bitches. You give these companies an inch and they'll take a mile. One game getting this means more will down the line. You cannot give these corporations any leeway because they will use that as leverage to fuck you over. Stop rolling over and giving it to them like corporatist shills.

IntentionalPun

All these fuckers in here going "GOD 🙄 gamers amirite?" are some real fucking bitches. You give these companies an inch and they'll take a mile. One game getting this means more will down the line. You cannot give these corporations any leeway because they will use that as leverage to fuck you over. Stop rolling over and giving it to them like corporatist shills.

Look this shit is annoying.. nobody likes it.

It's just making a thread titled "Fall Guys has been killed" for this news doesn't start the conversation off rationally. Then the thread is full of people talking about personal info and payment info none of which is required.

It's just not a rational conversation; having yet another login is annoying.. I'd rather not do it, I love Steam.. get annoyed at other logins, particularly if they have a launcher (this game it seems doesn't require that.)

But I'm personally not boycotting anything over it; and prefer discussing it rationally. It's fine if people want to boycott, but creating dramatic threads about it... is still dramatic.

It's around 6000 players avg for the past 30 days on steam, but I get the concern of people hating the egs account requirement.

Rocket League had cross play and cross progression before Psyonix sold themselves to Epic and went f2p.

But Mediatonic belongs to Epic now, so daddy Sweeney says bend and Mediatonic gets spanked.

Top Bottom