• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Guys players forced to ‘auto-buy’ items are reportedly being denied refunds

Draugoth

Gold Member

Fall Guys players report that an error in the game’s store is causing them to buy items they intended to preview and that Mediatonic is denying refunds. The issue, which has been reported by more than 70 users across multiple Reddit threads, reportedly occurs when a player previews an item, such as a costume, in the Fall Guys store.

Typically, players would have to confirm their purchase, but players are now reporting that their in-game currency is being taken in exchange for the item without any confirmation from the player.

An email postted to Reddit that they claim comes from Fall Guys Player Support. It reads:
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.
Please let me correct something from your response.
You have stated that this is a “bugged purchase” and a “known issue”. Neither of these things is the case.
The purchase was made by you, not a bug. Whether it was intentional or not, this is still the case.
This is not a “known issue” because it is not an issue. Items cannot be bought automatically by the system, they always require input from the player. Again, whether accidental or not, you made this input and purchased the item.
As per our EULA, which you agreed to, all purchases are final and will not be refunded.
I apologise for any confusion this may have caused, and hope that I have cleared this up for you.

Kind regards,
Steve
Fall Guys Player Support

Afterbacklash, Mediatonic released a further statement via its social media accounts, apologising for the error and promising to honour all refund requests for cosmetics:

Last edited:

Banned
if they'd deny refunds they would be sued into the ground in europe...

even if you bought something not by error but simply regretted buying it, they would need to refund you within 14 days of you buying it without questions

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
if they'd deny refunds they would be sued into the ground in europe...

even if you bought something not by error but simply regretted buying it, they would need to refund you within 14 days of you buying it without questions
Is that so? I'm in Germany (aren't you too?), and every time I buy something on my PS5 I have to check the box that I waive the 14 days return period and want to receive my goods right now, hmmm...

Lady Jane

Banned
That email reads like fanfic, but if it is is real then wow.

I was banned from Fall Guys for cheating. I sent them a support email that it must be an error. The response was passive aggressive language with a link to a bs article on why cheating is bad. It's like an edgy 19 year old responded to me and I'm confident that he didn't read my email and just scanned it. I emailed Steam detailing the issue with a screencap of Mediatonic's response, and they gave me a refund.

We put way too much faith on who is handling these support tickets. They are the bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
fucking-asshole-steve-upset.gif

I was banned from Fall Guys for cheating. I sent them a support email that it must be an error. The response was passive aggressive language with a link to a bs article on why cheating is bad. It's like an edgy 19 year old responded to me and I'm confident that he didn't read my email and just scanned it. I emailed Steam detailing the issue with a screencap of Mediatonic's response, and they gave me a refund.

We put way too much fairth on who is handling these support tickets. Bottom of the barrel workers in the office.
Yea that's why it sounded suspicious, it read like some reddit arch nerd trying to sound like a dick. But I guess maybe that is who they are actually hiring......

Banned
Is that so? I'm in Germany (aren't you too?), and every time I buy something on my PS5 I have to check the box that I waive the 14 days return period and want to receive my goods right now, hmmm...

that bullshit is something companies try but any EULA is not legally binding.

everything sold online in germany has to be able to be refunded within 14 days no questions asked. any EULA will not hold up in court.

the only exception to this is privately sold goods

that is why Sony took Cyberpunk out of the PSN store because in Europe they need to refund everyone who asks for a refund, and they don't have a working refund system, so every refund needed to be handled individually by hand... which overwhelmed their PSN store team.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

everything sold online in germany has to be able to be refunded within 14 days no questions asked. any EULA will not hold up in court.

that is why Sony took Cyberpunk out of the PSN store because in Europe they need to refund everyone who asks for a refund, and they don't have a working refund system, so every refund needed to be handled individually by hand... which overwhelmed their PSN store team.

Yeah, but this sounds like it's in-game currency, i.e. not a "real" purchase? So I don't think those laws would apply here. I guess you can probably buy that currency using real money, but then it would be THAT purchase that has to follow those laws I'd think.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned

Ah, good to know ;)

Edit: I have heard several times, that Sony will just ban your whole account if you refund stuff or do any kind of chargeback. Feels too risky for me to try my luck with them, I have hundreds of Euros in that account that I don't want to lose... In fact, I've been buying more and more physical PlayStation games so I don't tie as much of my money to an account someone can take away from me with the press of a button.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah, but this sounds like it's in-game currency, i.e. not a "real" purchase? So I don't think those laws would apply here. I guess you can probably buy that currency using real money, but then it would be THAT purchase that has to follow those laws I'd think.

I am not sure how virtual currencies are handled tbh.

Top Bottom