• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

JoJo 8

That moment
when Dire got destroyed by Dio was crazy. I didn't expect that to happen so fast
. Good fight between Dio and Jojo and the next episode seems like
the end for Jojo

I don't mean to single you out, because at times we've all done this, but I'm noticing a trend of improper spoiler tag usage. For reference, we have a guide to this subject on the FAQ forum here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

A better way to say it would be something like:

JoJo 8

That moment during the Dire confrontation where
Dire got destroyed by Dio was crazy. I didn't expect that to happen so fast
. Good fight between Dio and Jojo and based on the next episode preview it seems like they've given away the whole ending of the show. They seem to be implying that
Jojo gets killed?

Or maybe just separate your reactions to the show from discussions about specific events, or whatever. It would just be cool to know what, exactly, those spoiler bars are discussing before I highlight them.

Branduil

I made blind purchase few days back and bought Macross 7 DVD set since it looked like awesome scifi saga. I was expecting awesome dogfights and all kinds of action but I get some guy wanting to end war with music. This show sucks so much :(

You were looking for Macross Plus.

duckroll

I don't mean to single you out, because at times we've all done this, but I'm noticing a trend of improper spoiler tag usage. For reference, we have a guide to this subject on the FAQ forum here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

A better way to say it would be something like:

JoJo 8

That moment during the Dire confrontation where
Dire got destroyed by Dio was crazy. I didn't expect that to happen so fast
. Good fight between Dio and Jojo and based on the next episode preview it seems like they've given away the whole ending of the show. They seem to be implying that
Jojo gets killed?

To be fair though, I think that when the show title and episode are already listed in bold, as long as all the actual spoilers are marked, it doesn't really matter how it's presented since anyone choosing to highlight them knows what they're getting!

I think it's a much bigger problem in "general" posts about a given show without any indication of what the spoiler covers.

Genshiken 05

Dg8d3.jpg
xh85n.jpg

The chairman knows everything.

Regardless of My Adolescent Delusions of Grandeur, I Want a Date! 8
hHFMH.png

I eagerly await the doujins.
A nice way to wrap up the last episode. Though it was weird how it often made me wonder why the other characters even came with on the trip. Of course, that thought wouldn't last long.
Definitely getting into the more romantic portion of the show, Rikka doesn't even really hide it. Though I have a hunch the next episode is going to be more of a return to the comedy from the before this trip.
And since I'm talking about this episode, was that part with the flash back with Rikka seeing Yuuta on the balcony implying that
that it was because she saw him being all chuunibyou that she got into it too?
I'm sure they will explain it going forward.

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 21

Well everything got all suspenseful and actiony again so many
headshots!

I thought the most shocking moment was
the BETA being in the actual bottom of the command post. What are they doing there and is that part of the Total Refugee peoples plan. I just hope all of Argos and even Cryska and Inia, and Leon and co survive, and their TSFs

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Code:Breaker 1

I had avoided this up till now because of the Cosmic antihype, but the first episode was actually pretty entertaining.

CorvoSol

GUNDAM SEED & DESTINY STUFF

I think meer is clueless ..she knows she is a tool of the power but they doesn't think about her actions at all ..but her biggest problem with me is that she is acting like lacus and is mostly doing her work ..she was a boring character ..the show writter never gave her a chance and she was outclassed by lacus return ( WHAT return even) .in all her appearances she play the role of the clueless girl unaware of the reality around her.

Flay was a typical girl ..but her breaking down when her dad died was logical .. Faly was so unlikeable ..but i could understand her train of reasonning .. she was selfish ..but she moved the lines and influenced everyone actions in a good way.i'd take Flay over meer anyday..

If meer did a better job with athrun or even questionned athrun reactions toward her she would have been better in everyone's eyes

Well kira in destiny is actually sure of his ideas and knew what he was doing.

i agree , another missing opportunity for this anime.

I mean, I agree that Flay honestly probably is the more understandable character, but I liked Meer because she was something of a punch to the viewer. My affections for just about every non-mecha aspect of this show are somewhat clouded by the fact that it introduced me to SEED in general.

To be honest I might as well break it down thus:
Things that are cool about SEED Destiny:
-Athrun Zala, AKA the coolest and least stupid idiot in this continuity whose name is not Mu La Flaga. AKA Mu2.
-Chairman Durandal
I appreciate his plan a lot more the second time through. If nothing else, that part of the show was well done.
-Our Lord and Savior Kira the Christ, and the God Mode Gundam
-Lacus
when she foils Durandal's plans
- Captain Ramius x
Andy Waltfeld
is the new Murrue x Mu.
-Shinn Asuka when he doesn't say anything and sticks to blowing up ships.
Things that are not cool about SEED Destiny:
-The painful The After Years syndrome it has going on where 95% of what happens is essentially the same as what happened in Gundam SEED. Whereas in FF4TAY this sucked because
there was no reason for it. Here there at least might be Durandal pulling the strings.
-All the new characters whose names are not Meer, Durandal, or Talia.
-Shinn Asuka when he opens his damn fool mouth.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I mean, I agree that Flay honestly probably is the more understandable character, but I liked Meer because she was something of a punch to the viewer. My affections for just about every non-mecha aspect of this show are somewhat clouded by the fact that it introduced me to SEED in general.

To be honest I might as well break it down thus:
Things that are cool about SEED Destiny:
-Athrun Zala, AKA the coolest and least stupid idiot in this continuity whose name is not Mu La Flaga. AKA Mu2.
-Chairman Durandal
I appreciate his plan a lot more the second time through. If nothing else, that part of the show was well done.
-Our Lord and Savior Kira the Christ, and the God Mode Gundam
-Lacus
when she foils Durandal's plans
- Captain Ramius x
Andy Waltfeld
is the new Murrue x Mu.
-Shinn Asuka when he doesn't say anything and sticks to blowing up ships.
Things that are not cool about SEED Destiny:
-The painful The After Years syndrome it has going on where 95% of what happens is essentially the same as what happened in Gundam SEED. Whereas in FF4TAY this sucked because
there was no reason for it. Here there at least might be Durandal pulling the strings.
-All the new characters whose names are not Meer, Durandal, or Talia.
-Shinn Asuka when he opens his damn fool mouth.

Athrun is not cool at all in Seed Destiny. In fact, he went from badass military dude to dumbass moron.

Hiiro no Kakera 2 - 8
hiiro_no_kakera_2_by_tristtrist-d5m9342.gif

Well things are picking up.
Drei making his move. Pretty awful for Vier and Aria to be knocked out by Zwei and then worst for even Eins to be fooled.

Hopefully we get action next episode
with the new and true Inukai!

CorvoSol

Athrun is not cool at all in Seed Destiny. In fact, he went from badass military dude to dumbass moron.

The scene where he breaks out of the ZAFT base is cool in ways, man. Cool in ways.

Gurren Lagann 14 It was great aside from Nia. I was a bit sad to finally see
Kamina's grave
but still, Simone and Rossio totally kicked butt this episode. Guame is definitely my favorite of the villains so far, although Cytomander's Carnivale style entertains me.

Can someone tell me if the pigmole's name is Puta, Futa, or Buta? Because if it's the former, LOL.

The Big O 14

HO-LEE-SHEE-ITE.

The scene where he breaks out of the ZAFT base is cool in ways, man. Cool in ways.

Gurren Lagann 14 It was great aside from Nia. I was a bit sad to finally see
Kamina's grave
but still, Simone and Rossio totally kicked butt this episode. Guame is definitely my favorite of the villains so far, although Cytomander's Carnivale style entertains me.

Can someone tell me if the pigmole's name is Puta, Futa, or Buta? Because if it's the former, LOL.

The Big O 14

HO-LEE-SHEE-ITE.

Isnt it Buta?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Mystical Laws

So. Where to begin? I guess I can give you a "summery" of the events, but the film is a roller coaster of madness that there is just too much to cover. Luckily I picked up a postcard with a summery on the back, which makes this film sound so wacky that anyone not familiar with Happy Science would wonder what the hell they just read.

The date is 202X and war was beginning. Neo Nazis, sorry, I mean the Godom Empire is trying to conquer Earth with the power of bad science and even has the United States shaking in their boots. The next target is Japan which shouldn't be hard to take over since the Government apparently consists of a room of people uming and erring. "Do you know what to do?" one man asks. "No" another replies. "Oh bother" the first says. Apparently they have some sort of law that says they'll do bugger all in a time of crisis and just let the people face the consequences. Nice.

YciuQ.gif

So anywho, the leader of the Godoms is called Tathagata Killer who walks around with a Vega mask and a electric whip. As you probably guessed, he is possessed by an evil demon that makes him do evil things. He is surrounded by tiny faced Japanese business men and a lovely lady, Leika Chan, who looks Asian, but then we're told see looks Scandinavian only to be told moments later she's meant to look Asian. Right. Oh and she's an alien from the planet Vega. I didn't make that up. The baddy has a Vega mask and the lady is from the planet Vega. They didn't mention it, but I'm guessing they're also vegans. Yes, we have aliens now. And they've come to Earth because they had a war in their star system Lyra and the enemy blasted them with The Ultimate Weapon™. The Ultimate Weapon™ is basically a super bomb that can wipe out an entire continent and through some ironic events is now in the hands of Killer. Yes, Leika, the alien who fled her planet due to war, thought the best thing to do was team up with a general and make weapons for him with alien technology.

9TASK.gif

But wait, that just sounds like a terrible science fiction, where's the Happy Science? Well lets focus of our MC, Sho Shishimaru, who you will instantly work out is the hero of the film because he looks like Hermes and is whiter than any of the other Japanese characters. He's a member of Hermes Wings who have become the number one trusted organisation in the world. He also has the power foresee the future and apparently the reincarnation of Buddah, which contradicts the events of the Rebirth of Buddah, but lets ignore that for now. So he foresees a bunch of bad things and wonders if he can change the future. He fails for the most part. But he learns of Killer's plans to take over Japan so he decides he is the one to stop him because if he doesn't try to change the future he never will.

2vmrP.gif

Basically Sho's plans to stop The Ultimate Weapon™ fail (who would of think) and he is caught. His punishment is to be executed on tv while being tied to a cross (oh the subtle symbolism). He's killed, but luckily aliens have magic UFOs that can zap heal beams, but it's too late, his spirit has an appointment with the Circle of Mystical Being™. But as always they basically just say who they are and send him back. It's at this moment the film manages to turn it up to eleven. He awakens and stands around. Killer isn't having none of that so he summons CGI skeletons so kill him, but out of nowhere CGI Japanese warriors and CGI giants spring up to fight them off. All the while two CGI dragons battle it out in the skies. Wonzo was there is spirit. The power of Japanese Honour triumphs, but, OH NO, the demon controlling Killer shows his true form and sets off The Ultimate Weapon™ so the Earth is doomed!

SOgl1.gif

But not so fast! Sho is having none of that and so, with a vacant stare, he tells the Earth to pray so of course everyone prays and thus everyone glows and the power of El Cantare saves the day yet again. And we end with Killer being forgiven because even he is a child of God.

The end!

Oh and I guess I forgot to mention there were also dinosaur looking aliens who were waiting to take over earth all this time but did nothing but hang around in the skies. They're just told to bugger off by the Intergalactic Space Federation. Pretty pointless.

Final Thoughts

I actually skipped some a lot of details because there's literally so many wacky ideas being thrown around that this post would be twice as long to cover them all. Also I want everyone to experience it for themselves.

And an elephant does appear, but only in a still image during the credits to signify Sho visiting India. What a cop out.

Also I should mention that the dub for this was hilariously bad. They would

only talk when

the mouths were moving even if

that meant pausing awkwardly in the middle

of sentences.

So would I recommend it? Of course. It's Happy Science and your life will be incomplete until you see it.

TL:DR

Neo Nazis are taking over the Earth. Thank El Cantare the reincarnation of Buddha is here to save the day! Watch it!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
BGBW I want to read your impressions so desperately but I fear that it would ruin my ability to go into the movie totally fresh. I'm tempted to avatar-ize one of your pictures for myself, though.

Amazing.

Instro

SAO 21

Hahahahahahahahaha. More nice background art though, this show really churns it out.

I just realized that they cut out the whole underground/underworld segment of ALO, that's really too bad because that would have been really cool to see animated. If they ever do the Caliber story, they'll have to re-purpose it then I suppose. That would be a pretty great one to do actually, as its probably the best side story in the series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, Mystical Laws takes place about 20 years after Rebirth of Buddha, right? I have to consider the implications of this for a second. Considering that there can only be one reincarnation of Buddha at a time, that would mean that Taiyou from Rebirth of Buddha has died by the events of Mystical Laws. Furthermore, considering that Shishimaru Shou is an adult in the film, that would mean that he's been alive for ~20-ish years, which would then imply that Taiyou had to die almost immediately after the events of Rebirth of Buddha in order for Shou to be Buddha's current reincarnation.

Hmm...sounds like something pretty horrible went unmentioned.

DiGiKerot

Dammit, I was just about to post extended thoughts on The Mystical Laws. It hardly feels worth the effort now, and I'm certainly not drawing pictures to go with it!

The Mystical Laws

So. Where to begin? I guess I can give you a "summery" of the events, but the film is a roller coaster of madness that there is just too much to cover. Luckily I picked up a postcard with a summery on the back, which makes this film sound so wacky that anyone not familiar with Happy Science would wonder what the hell they just read.

What, these postcards are a thing? Dammit, wish I'd picked one up.

So anywho, the leader of the Godoms is called Tathagata Killer who walks around with a Vega mask and a electric whip. As you probably guessed, he is possessed by an evil demon that makes him do evil things. He is surrounded by tiny faced Japanese business men and a lovely lady, Leika Chan, who looks Asian, but then we're told see looks Scandinavian only to be told moments later she's meant to look Asian. Right. Oh and she's an alien from the planet Vega. I didn't make that up. The baddy has a Vega mask and the lady is from the planet Vega. They didn't mention it, but I'm guessing they're also vegans. Yes, we have aliens now. And they've come to Earth because they had a war in their star system Lyra and the enemy blasted them with The Ultimate Weapon™. The Ultimate Weapon™ is basically a super bomb that can wipe out an entire continent and through some ironic events is now in the hands of Killer. Yes, Leika, the alien who fled her planet due to war, thought the best thing to do was team up with a general and make weapons for him with alien technology.

To be fair, Leika at least wasn't the one who developed the The Ultimate Super Weapon (I liked the scene where they explained the reason it was called The Ultimate Super Weapon was because Killer hadn't named it yet), which, coincidently hurls FIREBALLS HOTTER THAN THE SUN. Yeah.

Oh and I guess I forgot to mention there were also dinosaur looking aliens who were waiting to take over earth all this time but did nothing but hang around in the skies. They're just told to bugger off by the Intergalactic Space Federation. Pretty pointless.

The Dinosaur aliens turning up was the moment where I finally completely lost it, and just started laughing hysterically. I mean, it's like the threat of FIREBALLS HOTTER THAN THE SUN wasn't bad enough, so they had to raised the stakes by introducing SPACE DINOSAURS.

And, yes, BGBW has barely just scratched the full insanity of what the movie contains.

/XX/

Subtlety in the association with concepts known by the viewer; and Super Robot shows say: "the fuck is that?".

http://www.collectiondx.com/files/championjoe2.png

Gurren-Lagann reference? Dezaki confirmed for bro.
Holy crap. I just got done with episode 9, took a screenshot of that exact frame and came here to post it.
This reminded me of how Mr. Yamaga explained that the said precise scene was a rather spontaneous occurrence by the animators (http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78382#78382)... makes me think if other scene on episode 8 heavily inspired from Ashita no Joe also came to fruition in that same way!

y'know, it really does seem like Dvorak's From thew New World gets a surprising amount of use in anime, especially considering that use of public domain music is a rarity in general. Probably the best use of it actually comes from One Piece, which used the beginning of the fourth movement to pretty amazing effect at the climax of the Alabasta Arc. Skip to 2:40 in this video if you want to see it, though keep in mind a.) EXTREME SPOILZ and b.) it loses a lot of its impact if you lack the context of the events leading up to the moment.
Naoki Tate's cuts showing how its done! With his experience now, Toei Animation has shown they end up needing him more and more, and when he returns as animation director nowadays it is a great event for many fans of the series.

And to keep talking about Toei Animation; remember that, as I mentioned before (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42696307&postcount=2692), the new Gaiking as well, celebrating its over-the-topness, featured some bits of Dvořák's '9th symphony' in extreme ways! Guys, check out this series if only for the battles on episode 13. It is difficult to see Yutaka Nakamura & many BONES peers working heavily on such a project outside of their own productions!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BGBW I want to read your impressions so desperately but I fear that it would ruin my ability to go into the movie totally fresh. I'm tempted to avatar-ize one of your pictures for myself, though.

Amazing.

Well my post doesn't even cover half of what goes on in the film as confirmed by DiGiKerot. But if you can it's probably best to watch it fresh.

I'm still trying to come to terms with what I watched.

So, Mystical Laws takes place about 20 years after Rebirth of Buddha, right? I have to consider the implications of this for a second. Considering that there can only be one reincarnation of Buddha at a time, that would mean that Taiyou from Rebirth of Buddha has died by the events of Mystical Laws. Furthermore, considering that Shishimaru Shou is an adult in the film, that would mean that he's been alive for ~20-ish years, which would then imply that Taiyou had to die almost immediately after the events of Rebirth of Buddha in order for Shou to be Buddha's current reincarnation.

Hmm...sounds like something pretty horrible went unmentioned.

They contradict each other since The Mystical Laws assumes he is the first reincarnation of Buddah for 1000s of years rather than two decades. Thus we must assume there is no over arching timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom