• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 EULA says all mods must be free

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well I guess Bethesda learned their lesson from the Skyrim mods.

However its seems that having Storm Troopers in "official" mods seems less and less likely.

Bryant

Seems like this is just Bethesda stopping any competition from selling mods. Nobody else is allowed to sell game mods, the only people who can sell content for the game are Bethesda. So really.. we could still see paid mods with this, provided they are sold by Bethesda. They want their cut.

Urthor

I mean the fact is the biggest thing against paid mods was the fact Steam was demanding that they impose the same margin on selling mods that they put on DOTA 2 skins.

If Bethseda sells mods, and takes like a 10-25% cut, that cuts out 80% of the hassle with paid mods. If they can somehow fix the "taking someone's content then reselling it" issue, that's when we should all really get behind paid mods.

Zolo

Seems like this is just Bethesda stopping any competition from selling mods. Nobody else is allowed to sell game mods, the only people who can sell content for the game are Bethesda.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't do this anyway unless donations count.

Krakn3Dfx

Well I guess Bethesda learned their lesson from the Skyrim mods.

However its seems that having Storm Troopers in "official" mods seems less and less likely.

anigif_enhanced-22824-1436368297-9.gif

Probably not on consoles tho, no.

Grinchy

Banned
So what about the Nexus site that charges people money in order to register so that they can even download mods?

BigDes

Wut.

Last I checked, Nexus didn't charge people money to register.

It doesn't

You can buy a sub for better download speeds but the whole site is absolutely free to register for and use.

However, they could make it more clear when clicking to sign up. IIRC the free registration link is buried under all the subscription models.

Grinchy

Banned
It doesn't

You can buy a sub for better download speeds but the whole site is absolutely free to register for and use.

However, they could make it more clear when clicking to sign up. IIRC the free registration link is buried under all the subscription models.

Oh I didn't realize that. I always avoided the site because of that (and because I found the Steam workshop a million times more convenient when I was modding Skyrim).

Maybe I'll make an account there finally.

Steel

Banned
So what about the Nexus site that charges people money in order to register so that they can even download mods?

You're confused. Getting an account on Nexus mod to download shit is free.

Oh I didn't realize that. I always avoided the site because of that (and because I found the Steam workshop a million times more convenient when I was modding Skyrim).

Maybe I'll make an account there finally.

Lotsa mods aren't on the workshop. SKSE only JUST got on the workshop.

I mean the fact is the biggest thing against paid mods was the fact Steam was demanding that they impose the same margin on selling mods that they put on DOTA 2 skins.

If Bethseda sells mods, and takes like a 10-25% cut, that cuts out 80% of the hassle with paid mods. If they can somehow fix the "taking someone's content then reselling it" issue, that's when we should all really get behind paid mods.

I don't think any measure is going to convince most people that they should want to pay what would amount to a lot more money for many players for something that would otherwise be free. It just isn't a palatable concept, save for the "whale" types that'll spend hundreds on a thing that isn't necessary.

Nice, I've totally been getting free mods from them forever. I can't believe I've been getting away with it for so long. What about you GAF do you guys use that back door where you login to get mods for free?

Zolo

Yup. And if Bethesda wanted some serious good will, they'd find a way to integrate donations well with the workshop.

I remember an announcement that Nexus wanted to integrate patreon or something to help make donations more visible for mod makers. They asked Bethesda for permission, and they apparently said 'no'.

Sevenfold

Nice, I've totally been getting free mods from them forever. I can't believe I've been getting away with it for so long. What about you GAF do you guys use that back door where you login to get mods for free?

Only when I'm hiding behind my VPN clusters!

Top Bottom