• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 EULA says all mods must be free

gossi

7NTH1Qy.png

Diancecht

Chill out Bethesda, it was already free. You just came, tried to fuck up with it and got your ass handed to you.

Durante

If they're really not implementing paid mods with Fallout 4, colour me surprised.
If they want to implement paid mods they will simply adjust the EULA.

What's important for them is that you can only get paid mods through markets they control.

Durante

Yes, but it's standard. Sites which redistributed modified .exe's are copyright problematic.
I'm not necessarily talking about modified .exes, but the way (d) is formulated very broadly could be construed to also include any code injection at runtime.

Many of the more in-depth gameplay mods for FO (and TES games) rely on script extenders which do modify executable code in memory.

lazygecko

I'm not necessarily talking about modified .exes, but the way (d) is formulated very broadly could be construed to also include any code injection at runtime.

Many of the more in-depth gameplay mods for FO (and TES games) rely on script extenders which do modify executable code in memory.

Is the same passage found in the EULAs for the previous games?

Breads

Banned
It's just an EULA being an EULA.

They are just covering their asses by, among the normal liability talk, making it clear that they aren't responsible for mods you mistakenly pay for or damage caused by them.

kAmui-

This doesn't necessarily mean they won't be reintroducing paid mods with this thing? This seems like the game to do it with if they are going to do such a thing in the near future.

Nothing really stops them from changing the EULA/ToS when they want, you will just be prompted to accept it again if you agree AFAIK. If they do plan on paid mods when the creation kit and stuff comes out next year there's nothing stopping them from changing that.

I'm not very good with legalese, but couldn't this just be seen as Bethesda saying you can't charge for mods without them getting a cut/being in the loop beforehand?

To me that reads more like modders have to make the content available to them (and consumers) for free, as Bethesda owns it, but it does not say that Bethesda can't charge consumers for those mods (e.g. via their official store or Steam/PS-Store etc.).

But I still think they will be very careful with paid mods after the backlash.

Breads

Banned
It means you cant sell mods for money, but Zenimax/Bethesda can.

No it doesn't.

This is the same clause that sites like Deviantart and Paypal have in regards to user created content. It's a liability sponge that takes any damages away from Bethesda/Steam/Microsoft/Sony by making it so that by virtue of existing you are agreeing that licenses are permitted for the content you create. Although they technically can do things like this it is not their intent to lose good will by stealing user content. It's just a basic measure used to allow user created content to exist at all since it satisfies legal. It's more common than you think.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
(f) means no licensed characters on console. Say goodbye to your Tifa Lockhart and Master Chief skins.

hamchan

The problem with introducing paid mods for Fallout 4 post-launch, after everyone has already made and released free mods, is that they just find themselves in exactly the same situation as their Skyrim paid mods debacle.

Majukun

that's only for third parties involed though..if bethesda wants to "buy" some of them and put them on payment,they can

that being said..i don't think it would be wise on their part,given the shitstorm that followed last time

if only the same shitstorm would come for microtransactions..instead we are once again embracing it and digging our own graves

Renekton

Nothing really stops them from changing the EULA/ToS when they want, you will just be prompted to accept it again if you agree AFAIK. If they do plan on paid mods when the creation kit and stuff comes out next year there's nothing stopping them from changing that.
Yes agree, though it's already proven to be suicidal to do so AFTER the the modding scene for FO4 has been established, like Skyrim.

If they plan to do paid mods, earliest is TES6.

edit: nvm misread your post

The problem with introducing paid mods for Fallout 4 post-launch, after everyone has already made and released free mods, is that they just find themselves in exactly the same situation as their Skyrim paid mods debacle.
Good. Let them be shouted down again. Let any modder who opted in be driven out like that one Skyrim winter modder.

IIRC, didn't someone from Bethesda say some time ago that paid mods were *not* coming back with Fallout 4? I swear I remember specifically seeing that comment somewhere.

Fractal

Banned
We need some comparison EULAs before this thread gets out of hand lol
True... though in all honesty, I believe there won't be any issues regarding F4 modding. I doubt the idea of mods for sale will come back anytime soon.

While I'm not entirely against the idea, implementing it in a working manner at this time is next to impossible since mods are unofficial pieces of software with no actual standards or regulation, which also often conflict with one another. If they were to be priced fair, first we'd need some sort of a quality assurance system, and in this case that doesn't really sound viable.

Lanrutcon

yeah how dare people that make mods would want to get paid for their work given the option

If they want to get paid for their work, then they have to support their work. QA around things like promised functionality, working in conjunction with other mods, optimization to ensure minimal performance issues, etc. And providing support around bugs, crashes and saved game corruption.

What? that stuff isn't easy? Well shit son, if you want to be paid for your naked smurf mod then you better make sure it holds up as a paid product.

Edit: Oh, and are you using any other mods on yours? did you get the Author's consent to get paid off their work? And where did you get your assets from? do you have permission to use them in a paid product?

Majukun

If they want to get paid for their work, then they have to support their work. QA around things like promised functionality, working in conjunction with other mods, optimization to ensure minimal performance issues, etc. And providing support around bug, crashes and saved game corruption.

What? that stuff isn't easy? Well shit son, if you want to paid for your naked smurf mod then you better make sure it holds up as a paid product.

pretty much

the idea was implentled terribly and only for the benefit of one half of the industry..like pretty much all the things introduced in the industry since 2006

RS4-

I didn't care for skyrim, but the mods that ended up on steam, were they approved? Or is it like nexus, anyone can post anything?

Fractal

Banned
If they want to get paid for their work, then they have to support their work. QA around things like promised functionality, working in conjunction with other mods, optimization to ensure minimal performance issues, etc. And providing support around bugs, crashes and saved game corruption.

What? that stuff isn't easy? Well shit son, if you want to be paid for your naked smurf mod then you better make sure it holds up as a paid product.

Edit: Oh, and are you using any other mods on yours? did you get the Author's consent to get paid off their work? And where did you get your assets from? do you have permission to use them in a paid product?
Yeah... coming up with an approval system which would resolve all of those issues at this time is simply put, impossible.

gai_shain

while these things are true they also apply to indie games made by a single person or a very small team dont they? And they manage to work somehow

e: Im obviously not talking about mods that just remove clothing or stuff like that

lazygecko

Good. Let them be shouted down again. Let any modder who opted in be driven out like that one Skyrim winter modder.

The way the community vitriol was concentrated almost exclusively at the actual modding talent, instead of the shoddy execution on Valve/Bethesda's part was pretty disgusting if you ask me.

The Skyrim paid mods announcement was meant to pave the way for paid mods in Fallout 4. It crashed and burned so I don't think it's something they'll try again.

The Skyrim paid mods announcement was meant to pave the way for paid mods in Fallout 4. It crashed and burned so I don't think it's something they'll try again.

Of course they will. They'll just do it smartly next time and subtle enough to not anger enough people to matter.

Top Bottom