• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
I just saw the launch trailer.....This story is going to be godawful isnt it? I don't think I have ever heard so much cringe worthy dialogue in one trailer. This series is taking itself waaayyyy too seriously when they have shitty writers.

Play Borderlands 2?

I mean I enjoy Borderlands 2 but that one was too obvious about it. I'd just want to go to a lake with radiation and like these four turtles that are human sized swim out from under, each with something in their bodies of the respective color, and I have to fight them to the death.

Power Armor now works like a temporary vehicle. There exists only one and you have to refill its energy via power cores. Personally, I don't care about it. I will park it in my only mega-settlement and can use it to defend the town, if it is attacked.

I remember reading that you can still use power armor once its energy is depleted, but sprinting will cost AP and you can't fast-travel in it when it's depleted.

Power Armor now works like a temporary vehicle. There exists only one and you have to refill its energy via power cores. Personally, I don't care about it. I will park it in my only mega-settlement and can use it to defend the town, if it is attacked.

Hmm that's interesting, I quite like that tbh. It has given me a few ideas.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wow..good to be back on GAF. I have three days off when this comes out next week and up untill recently I was really hyped for this game ( which is why I took a few days off )... but lately I've been pretty skeptical. The entire dialogue system ripped to shreds and the loss of roleplaying as you're mostly still playing as a voiced character will break my immersion. The story looks bad as well, going by the launch trailer the writing is cringe worthy.

I mean I absolutely loved Fo3 and more especially New Vegas. Im quite sad to see a bunch of cool systems gone which I really would have loved if Bethesda tried to improve upon, not remove them alltogether. I also think the janky character animations and models look terrible for a 2015 game.

I know the game isnt in the hands of most people yet, and I still cant wait to check it out myself either but im still pretty wary and skeptical, way more then I was at the E3 showing.

Im definitely going to play as a female tho, the male vo sounds bland and like a generic American guy. Which is super boring.

Been watching the "hate newspapers" (lol) stream for a little bit, and I'm already tired of the player character's constant narration to himself and his follower. With that and the dumbing down of the dialogue system, this is really feeling more like an action game than an RPG.

I think I'm just going to wait for a price drop on this one. :\

(quote for link)

Shopto emailing me an ad last night to tell me the game is in stock and to order now, thought it was my order shipping. Hopefully they post it today so we have it Monday, I haven't got a game early from them for ages.

MMaRsu

Banned
Been watching the "hate newspapers" (lol) stream for a little bit, and I'm already tired of the player character's constant narration to himself and his follower. With that and the dumbing down of the dialogue system, this is really feeling more like an action game than an RPG.

I think I'm just going to wait for a price drop on this one. :

(quote for link)

Exactly, the constant talking to himself is killing any player immersion. Todd said make any character you want, he actually just means the face and the stats
The personality of your character is predefined.

And that is imo horrible in a Fallout game. Its great in lets say a Mass Effect game.

Nordmann

Neo Member
This has probably been answered, but is there a weight to the character when you move? Or is it linear like Skyrim/FO3

Yes, the character moves more "realistic" now. Personally I laughed hearing the stump of my power armor matching the rhythm of a song that was on the radio as I swayed left and right.

greatgeek: the magazines are not readable, but you'll pick up lots of stuff that are.

Askherserenity: stealth works fairly well, but not with a companion. Dogmeat gets spotted all the time.

Staf

Exactly, the constant talking to himself is killing any player immersion. Todd said make any character you want, he actually just means the face and the stats
The personality of your character is predefined.

And that is imo horrible in a Fallout game. Its great in lets say a Mass Effect game.

Sucks there too. Anyways, the game looks great except that damn dialogue system and voice. Fingers crossed for a mod.

Stiler

So does dogmeat count as a full fledged "companoin" now and keep you from being able to use a human?

In FO3/NV you could always use dogmeat + one human.

If so why would they change that? I mean it'd be one thing if the dog was like from the movie, "A Boy and his Dog" and talked to you, but he's just a regular dog in FO4 so it seems you'll miss out on the dialogue and things.

Nordmann

Neo Member
So does dogmeat count as a full fledged "companoin" now and keep you from being able to use a human?

If so why would they change that? I mean it'd be one thing if the dog was like from the movie, "A Boy and his Dog" and talked to you, but he's just a regular dog in FO4 so it seems you'll miss out on the dialogue and things.

Dogmeat counts as a companion.If you want another one you'll have to send Dogmeat to one of your settlements

They changed it; we don't know why.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
does the world seem kind of empty? from the streams if seems emptier than FO3. I might not have seen enough yet.

Mastperf

jpg quality screenshot from PS4 version

eGgRFlJ.jpg
This man was a pale red head before heading out into the wasteland.

caleb1915

There has to be Steam Workshop support when this comes out right? It'd be ridiculous not to, and if it does have Workshop Dogmeat + Companion would be simple enough to do without the creation tools being released yet I hope.

Dog meat is a synth, duh.

He can talk.

.... If that's true, I'm sorry, I didn't know.

ltajax

Neo Member
ShadowDrawDistance = 5m

Wtf is that? Good thing that I went with the PC version. Low draw distances suck hard. Just hope 2GB VRAM are enough for the blurry textures.

first thing im doing when i get the game is going to what i assume will be

fallout4prefs.ini

And upping that draw distance

komplanen

Holy moly that's one ugly console screenshot. How the hell does an aopen world game in 2015 have missing shadows past a few meters? And that's not the only issue but God damn I'm happy to have a PC...

Ooccoo

PS4 version looks horrible. Game looks like trash overall. However Bethesda fans don't care even if the game looks average at best. Reviews on release day are not because they want to avoid spoilers, more because they know the game will be very mitigated. I'm expecting 9s and 7s.

Bethell

PS4 version looks horrible. Game looks like trash overall. However Bethesda fans don't care even if the game looks average at best. Reviews on release day are not because they want to avoid spoilers, more because they know the game will be very mitigated. I'm expecting 9s and 7s.

Think this is a bit harsh, honestly.

I've never played any fallout game, but I agree with you the visuals aren't anything amazing. However what I've seen from the gameplay and the huge amount of content, there does seem to be alot of good there to.

Ogimachi

Agreed, but 7s? You're overestimating gaming journos.

amnesiac

Skyrim PS3 was BROKEN and it still got 9s across the board. Scores aren't going to be low because graphics are underwhelming.

As someone who played through all of Skyrim, FO3 and New Vegas on PS3, low draw distance of shadows is not something I'm too bothered with. :p

Ooccoo

Yea but Skyrim was still an RPG. I look at Fallout 4 and it looks like a shell of an RPG. The animations, the graphics, the dialogues, the VA, it all looks last-gen. Gameplay seems good though. I'm in the camp that thinks fun > everything else, but the Gamebryo/Creation Engine really shows its age now. Moreso than with Skyrim. I've been spoiled by The Witcher 3 really.

Basketball

So does the game have some kind of infinite quest thing from skyrim ?

I kind of don't want to finish everything then nothing left

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just want to download someone's Steam preload files so I don't have to spend all night on Monday downloading them when I get my PipBoy Edition. So far I've found one torrent and its crawling at a snail's pace, nothing on usenet which would be much faster.

This is going to suck.

jtar86

Embargo is for the day before not the day of and if this game gets below an 8 from any big site I would be shocked. Also saying it looks like trash when all you've seen are shitty screenshots is stupid.

Jisgsaw

I just want to download someone's Steam preload files so I don't have to spend all night on Monday downloading them when I get my PipBoy Edition. So far I've found one torrent and its crawling at a snail's pace, nothing on usenet which would be much faster.

This is going to suck.

Dumb question about that: I'll only get back to my gaming PC next Wednesday, but have my laptop right now.
Can I download the game on my laptop through Steam and then simply copy it to my PC afterwards?

Edit: seems like I forgot this little thing called google. So yeah, copy/paste works for game data, that's cool.

MMaRsu

Banned
Embargo is for the day before not the day of and if this game gets below an 8 from any big site I would be shocked. Also saying it looks like trash when all you've seen are shitty screenshots is stupid.

There have been streams going on plenty. Ive seen a ton of footage from the hatenewspapers stream.

The draw distance of the shadows is a fucking joke on ps4. Want to see some xbone screenshots, pc seems to be fine from the looks of it.

Bethesda, never change.

Skyrim PS3 was BROKEN and it still got 9s across the board. Scores aren't going to be low because graphics are underwhelming.

How many actually played the ps3 version through? I'm pretty sure review copies last gen were usually 360 or PC for mutiplat when not given a choice. You don't send the worst version out for reviews, and you can't dock points for something you didn't experience.

Codiox

Played a couple of hours yesterday on ps4. I'm really liking it. Graphics are not superb but because of it, it's really jaggies free. No aliasing. Everything looks very clean.

On thing that stand out for me are the vaults. The vaults are the best looking things in the game.

The graphics reminds me a lot of alien isolation. Clean image but not details. It's really serviceable.

Music is outstanding. One of the best soundtracks again.

The atmosphere is fucking awesome,but what I really hate is the talking protagonist. Shut up!

Thanks for the impressions. How's the Framerate and loading times, are they long or not?

I think someone said they're lie 5-10 seconds when entering a building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom