• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Black Flag had a 900 person development team comprising of 7 studios.

Bungie has 500 employees working on Destiny

Treyarch has 300 people working on Black Ops 3

Dice has over 500 employees working on Battlefield

I don't think you guys have any idea how many people work on AAA games. A 100 person team for Skyrim is fucking mind boggling

Edit: CD Projekt Red that is a "small" developer that just released an open world game Witcher 3, has 230 employees.

But 75% of Black Flag team are listes like Ship builders and so on so it is not accurate

Aaron D.

Fallout 4 was finally announced. Instead of crying over graphics people should be rejoicing. Plus, visually the game looks stellar.

Yup.

I can't believe someone actually said the graphics look horrible some pages back. That's without a shred of irony.

Simply mind-boggling.

I honestly think there should be a dedicated "Fallout 4 Graphics Discussion here and no where else." thread like the one for Witcher 3 to contain all the loonies in one place and let the rest of us talk and enjoy the game in peace.

Chobel

Any chance this was actually legit?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/?sort=new
Includes possible fallout 4 spoilers so be warned.

Again *sigh*
4b30d20413bec1ccc78c8uxuiv.gif

That was posted 11 months ago, in July 2014.

Most of it is based off of this 2013 Kotaku article, with only a couple things changed, such as gender option, and the random DLC schedule plus Naughty Bear people spin-off: http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

Almighty

I swear if this had the Obsidian name slapped on it then it would suddenly become the best thing since sliced bread.

Some of the shit going on in this thread amazes me.

The game looks fantastic.

The game would still be slammed for looking unimpressive and we would most likely be hit with more then a few "oh boy think of all the bugs" posts. The biggest difference would be people would quip back that it's an Obsidian game it won't look good, but the story/characters/writing will be top notch.

Why does every game have to be a graphical masterpiece? RPGs have never been about graphics and they never should be. A good story, likable characters and a strong musical score makes a great RPG. I don't get the new generation and their constant bitching about graphics, resolutions and frame rate.

You can read book for good story. How about having all stuff top notch?
New generation? Who is that? I started my gaming adventure with Atari 800 XE / C-64 and even lost some coints on arcade pongs so give me a break with this. Im older and yes from AAA studio I demand something bit more. CDProjekt RED just showed us how it can be done, with smaller budget and inhouse stuff.

And its NOT ALL about graphics. I could even do not care (since i easly can transit from playing W3 to playing MH4 on my 3DS). After trailer its almost clear that it is cross-gen title so a lot of other stuff could (and proably is) be dropped from design tables due to old-gen RAM capacity.

But yes - lets just blindly praise whatever producers throw on our faces, because if u even try say something about it, you are "new generation grapchical whore".

The game would still be slammed for looking unimpressive and we would most likely be hit with more then a few "oh boy think of all the bugs" posts. The biggest difference would be people would quip back that it's an Obsidian game it won't look good, but the story/characters/writing will be top notch.
That's just the thing. Obsidian doesn't have the resources of Bethesda. They reuse the engine.

owasog

Me! Playing the NV DLC I didn't get around 2. Old World Blues was pretty great. Not sure which to go for next.
Me too. I played Old World Blues but never played the other ones. Perfect time to pick it up where I left off. Is it wise to save Lonesome Road for last?

DOWN

Banned
Comparison of compressed and uncompressed trailer. The grass looks like it's quite high red too, much more so than witchers at least
TGNU4dX.jpg
Frankly, even with the weak graphics, this looks more professional than Witcher 3. Cohesive, less derivative.

I liked the trailer, it even made my wife cry (because we're still getting over the loss of our German Shepard). The graphics look fine to me, for this type of game. I just hope it's this year, although I may be burned out from rpg's for a while after The Witcher 3. If that's the case I'm sure they would have ironed out most of the bugs by the time I get around to playing it, I don't fancy a repeat of the Witcher.

Just yesterday I was "looks good I guess" since this morning I'm in full "I need this now" mode. Pls god make this come out in 2015.

PnCIa

Frankly, even with the weak graphics, this looks more professional than Witcher 3. Cohesive, less derivative.
More...professional? What does that mean? Using a similar color palete all over the environment with the exception of a few high-contrast colors?
Lets just say it looks different. And it seems to lack AO right now.

-duskdoll-

Just yesterday I was "looks good I guess" since this morning I'm in full "I need this now" mode. Pls god make this come out in 2015.

I can see it now.
  • June 14th
  • Todd Howard takes the stage
  • doesn't say anything
  • amazing fo4 gameplay in the background
  • gameplay ends
  • everyone cheers for 30 minutes
  • people crying in the background
  • Todd smiles
  • "We are happy to announce that you will be able to purchase FO4 TODAY"
  • crowd starts screaming
  • people fainting
  • every incurable disease is cured
  • no more poverty
  • no more global warming
  • world peace
And that's the day Fallout 4 saved the world.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just loaded up vanilla NV and it looks considerably worse than this reveal. F4 compared to TW3 it looks like steaming garbage but compared to its predecessor it looks good. People saying it looks worse than console skyrim need to go play console skyrim again.

Aaron D.

But yes - lets just blindly praise whatever producers throw on our faces, because if u even try say something about it, you are "new generation grapchical whore".

I'd hope that someone who claims to be as old as you would have a better understanding of nuance and subtlety.

Enjoying the new trailer at face value isn't synonymous with "blind praise" for "whatever producers throw in our faces". It might simply be an appreciation for what's on offer with full knowledge of the scope of the project and a genuine enthusiasm for an IP that has been dormant for the past 7 years.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Critique is fine. But only when it's tempered with intelligent insight. When it tips into the valley of shameless hyperbole, as 99% of the graphics complainers in this thread have shown, there is ZERO value in said critique, outside of the complainer outing themselves as a naïve, entitled baby.

That's the kind of talk that makes reading this thread so maddening. If you don't agree that the game looks like utter s**t then you're a apologist boot-licker. Really?! Is that the best we can do here?

The Fallout 4 reveal and trailer is some of the most exciting news to come out of Bethesda in years, but some are more content with s*****g up the entire thread with tired pixel-counting sour grapes. That's a crime.

This should be a time of celebration, not of folded-arm kindergarten temper tantrums over graphics.

rashbeep

Banned
More...professional? What does that mean? Using a similar color palete all over the environment with the exception of a few high-contrast colors?

No idea what he's on about, but he'll definitely find any excuse he can to criticize TW3's graphics.

I'm excitttteddd, even though I've never played a Fallout game be4...

I need something to scratch that open world, Elder Scrolls type itch, and this seems like it might be that game.

DOWN

Banned

No idea what he's on about, but he'll definitely find any excuse he can to criticize TW3's graphics.
I criticized Fallout 4's graphics if you try reading that a little better, and it was the person comparing the effects of the compression who criticized the graphics of W3 so let's not.

colors look wrong to me, too cartoony or something. i want an oppressive environment with mostly greys and browns, and lots of darkness. hopefully there will be some depressing looking vaults and dark metro tunnels and sewers and stuff, so i can escape the candy colors.

graphics look completely fine otherwise, i expect it to run decently on ps4 though.. don't fuck it up like you fucked up all your ps3 games, Bethesda.

schlynch

Even people rioting about graphics of Witcher 3 have to admit that gameplay design (world building, quest design...) is brilliantly done. imo

In terms of graphic, yes. In terms of gameplay? No. I think it's inferior to something like Skyrim or NV. Every remotely interesting PoI (and there aren't that many in the first place) is tied to a quest and exploration is overall needless. All there is to discover are the same bandit camps and monster dens, over and over. But yeah graphic wise and especially in terms of the terrain it looks stellar - but overall it's a stage set. I take more interaction, more quest-unrelated PoI to discover (like the Vaults and other things in NV) and more characters to talk with, a more sandboxy-design everytime over good graphics.

Derp

Do we know what resolution the trailer footage was? Would it be safe to assume it was 4k downscaled to 1080p or something...?

rashbeep

Banned
I criticized Fallout 4's graphics if you try reading that a little better, and it was the person comparing the effects of the compression who criticized the graphics of W3 so let's not.

I read it just fine, I'm just trying to understand how you arrived at "more professional, less derivative".

Bluenoser

I'm glad the reveal trailer looked like shit. It will stem the flow of babies crying downgrade when the game comes out.

See? Devs can't win, especially with GAF.

squadr0n

Any chance this was actually legit?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/?sort=new
Includes possible fallout 4 spoilers so be warned.

This does sound very plausible. Especially given the fact that Three Dog talked about coming back and the poster got fired for "accidentally" leaking the very first info to Kotaku a few years ago. Of course it could be all coincidence but really it sounds pretty legit. I hope they do something like the opening she described, gives the game a more tense feeling and adds to the world instead of just being a courier that grows up in a vault.

Either way, so excited for this. Hopefully they will announce a 3015 release date at E3. New engine looks amazing.

Lulubop

I'm glad the reveal trailer looked like shit. It will stem the flow of babies crying downgrade when the game comes out.

See? Devs can't win, especially with GAF.

t's impossible to make a good looking game without bullshots, right? Right?

^Check Nirolak's post concerning that reddit stuff. Christ.

Bluenoser

t's impossible to make a good looking game without bullshots, right? Right?

Better that they surprise everyone with a stunning game than release a stunning game and everyone hates you because it didn't look as good as the reveal.

Seems they are learning lessons from Naughty Dog and CDP. Good on them.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Watch "FRANCIS RAGES ABOUT FALLOUT 4 GRAPHICS" on YouTube - https://youtu.be/qjaoxw9VupE

Couldn't have said it better myself
i get what he is saying but since the trailer doesnt show any game play the only thing to discuss so far is the graphics and the new setting. In the past Fallout trailers have started with a mood/setting piece and then a minute or so in turned into fun looking gameplay snippets. Whether this is the trailer or just a teaser trailer and something else is coming at E3, we will have to wait and see.

Fallout 3 Trailer

New Vegas Trailer

Derp

Watch "FRANCIS RAGES ABOUT FALLOUT 4 GRAPHICS" on YouTube - https://youtu.be/qjaoxw9VupE

Couldn't have said it better myself

He nailed it. Bethesda knows what to focus on and how to use their resources properly to deliver the amount of content we see in their RPGs, and that's the reason they stand out against other games and the reason we value them so much.

I'm glad the reveal trailer looked like shit.
Jesus Christ.

I literally feel so bad for Bethesda right now. 4 years of hard work. And then this.

Akronis

He nailed it. Bethesda knows what to focus on and how to use their resources properly to deliver the amount of content we see in their RPGs, and that's the reason they stand out against other games and the reason we value them so much.

Jesus Christ.

I literally feel so bad for Bethesda right now. 4 years of hard work. And then this.

I agree completely. I don't play Bethesda games for sick grafix.

Valhelm

contribute something
No load screens every time you open a door is an amazing upgrqde..

But it looks nice and about what I expected (barren wasteland but with much better lighting and shadows than last time). And the last two Fallout games were pretty rough around the edges even at the time from textures to poly count to the animation and effects as everything took a backseat to the draw distance and rooms cluttered with loot.

Yeah, I ought to give them the benefit of the doubt. There's likely a good reason for the graphical downgrade.

People are petty, what are you going to do?

Either they complain about the lack of graphics in a trailer or they complain about "bullshots" in a trailer.

When did gaming stop being about gameplay first?

I love 1080p and 60fps as much as the next person, but unless the image quality is so bad it becomes difficult to play, then it doesn't fucking matter.

Bluenoser

Jesus Christ.

I'm sure the game will look much much better than this trailer. It literally has to- last gen games looked better than this trailer.

Imagine releasing a trailer like ND did... the internet would be wiped out from the inevitable salt mine explosion.

Jo-El

The graphics make me think of what a pc version of Fallout 4 would have looked like if they made it right away instead of Skyrim.
While disappointing, it's absolutely a huge step up over Fallout 3.

The most important thing that I hope they manage to do is not have load screens everywhere. One of the things I find most impressive in The Witcher 3 is how
they managed to do that. Going into a very lengthy dungeon and walking out of it right back into the world without a single load is seriously immersive.

Bluenoser

Lol I love Francis

Just don't understand why the most annoying people on the internet are also the most popular. Can't watch Pewdiepie for more than 5 seconds, and I had to stop Francis' video after about 30. Shame that well spoken, intelligent youtubers who have interesting things to say can only get 50-100k subs. (not that I disagree with his message- Fallout is about the gameplay, not the sick graphics). But we do know what Bethesda is capable of, so there's no reason for it to look like last gen either.

Top Bottom