• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Getting a big itch to play FO3, honestly the biggest thing I wish FO3 had that New Vegas had was the jurry rigger perk. Come on Bethesda that perk or something similar better be in the game.

Edit- Bring back bobble heads too

Jury rigging definitely needs to come back. Made repairing weapons and armor completely painless, and also a good source of money.

edit: yay train

so no one is now or will be officially developing Fallout 4 for last gen? That's what people want to hear someone from Bethesda confirm.

He just said that but for some reason people won't believe it unless they hear it in their own weirdly specific phrasing

With Fallout in the air it would be a great time for them to announce they are patching out GFWL from fallout 3 and moving it to steamworks.

That would be nice....

I apologize, my intention wasn't to be cryptic. On our game websites, we list the platforms the game at the bottom of the page. It's also called out in our press release.

We don't list platforms if we're not developing the game for them. As another example, you won't see PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 listed at the bottom of the product page for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood -- that game isn't going to be on those platforms, either.

Thank you for clarifying.

This might need to be in the OP.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
They can't, I don't think.

I'm pretty sure the game is or will be cross-gen (though as I've said before, after seeing what's presumably in-game footage I can't say I really care), and the indirect messaging seems to support that notion.
Unfortunately this is the case in my perspective if they aren't willing to outright deny it than it enforces the opposite.

There are only 3 possible scenarios in my opinion:

1-The game is in fact Cross Gen but the last gen version is are coming at a later point like some folks were saying in the rumors.

2-The game started development with the PS3/Xbox 360 in mind but decided to move on to PS4/Xbox One and instead of adapting completely to the new hardware they just started to build upon the base work they had already done for last gen hardware even if that came with limitations.

3-The game was built from the ground up with only PS4/Xbox One in mind from the start.

Given the amount of time this game has been in development I would say that #3 is the least likely scenario.

Chabbles

I apologize, my intention wasn't to be cryptic. On our game websites, we list the platforms the game at the bottom of the page. It's also called out in our press release.

We don't list platforms if we're not developing the game for them. As another example, you won't see PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 listed at the bottom of the product page for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood -- that game isn't going to be on those platforms, either.

So who is developing it ? =P

I don't think it's elitism to want the best software that your hardware is capable of, regardless of your platform of choice.

Yet when PC gamers say this about games they get accused of being elitist snobs.

But you didn't answer whether or not that would affect the game, I believe you implied that you agree it would affect it, but that it doesn't bother you, which is totally cool as everyone has their opinions.

My own belief is that I want as many people as possible to play Fallout 4. Like I said what matters to me is that the game is available on my choice of platform.

Charlie, that's not the same, lmao

The current generation consoles might not be super-powered but they can do a hell of a lot more to enable meaningful advancements in Fallout than... adhering to the standards of 10 years ago would.

lmao yes it is the same thing. The current generation of consoles are vastly underpowered compared to PC's. So if Next Gen console owners can whine about last gen consoles holding games back then it is fair to say the "next gen" consoles are holding games back for the PC.

DOWN

Banned
He just said it. geez.
You quoted his line about Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. I would love a definitive line saying it will not come to last gen. Saying "we're not developing it" doesn't mean there can't be a port studio handling it next year or that they won't finish up a last gen version on hold afterward.

He just said that but for some reason people won't believe it unless they hear it in their own weirdly specific phrasing
Not my specific phrasing, just specific phrasing at all.

What about this says that there won't be a last gen version? This can be easily spun as them saying they were not developing it themselves or actively developing it until the current gen release finished. All he says is that they DO say what platforms it is coming to, not ones they aren't developing on now. That doesn't rule out unannounced ports by another team or their own being up next, as anyone following CoD this year in the press knows. CoD is officially current gen, but they also are suspected of having unannounced last gen by another team.

So who is developing it ? =P
Seriously lol. They can't just say it won't happen? I mean, yeah, Monolith isn't developing Shadow of Mordor on last gen. But someone did after.

I am on tons of hype trains but backed off this one because mods were iffy about that stuff..

NOW LOOK!!

back to the vault for me, see you guys in the Fallout 5 thread.

hawk2025

Jesus Christ.

"The game isn't going to be on those platforms, either."

It literally cannot get more clear this. How fucking insufferable. Move the hell on.

Pillville

Come on Bethesda, we can't rest until you sign the following:

We, Bethesda, being of sound mind, do solemnly swear that:
We only developed the video game "Fallout 4" for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and Personal Computers (PC). The game will only ever exist for these 3 platforms.
We did not develop the game for any other platform*, or did we hire/allow any other entity to develop "Fallout 4" for any other platform*. The game will never exists for those other platforms*.

* other platforms meaning Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Playstation Portable (PSP), Nintendo Wii, Nintendo WiiU, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, and all other consoles that have ever exististed prior to these listed.

Jesus Christ.

It literally cannot get more clear this. How fucking insufferable. Move the hell on.

Yeah, but he was talking about Wolfenstein the Old Blood when he said that.

I really don't give two shits about whether the game is cross gen, it will be great either way. But at time when so many developers/publishers feed people false crap, why would you not just be as direct as possible. People have been burned before by vague statements, which is why they're having trust issues here.

The last post was phrased in a way to leave it open that another developer could be making version for PS3 and 360. And it strikes me as so strange that when asked if Fallout 4 is coming to those consoles, they give a definite answer about Wolfenstein but not the game questioned, lol.

Edit:

If this does eventually get announced as cross gen (even though there's no evidence to suggest it is at this time), the backlash against Bethesda for intentionally trying to mislead people will be worse than just announcing it as cross gen now. But that's just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it.

Yet when PC gamers say this about games they get accused of being elitist snobs.

My own belief is that I want as many people as possible to play Fallout 4. Like I said what matters to me is that the game is available on my choice of platform.

lmao yes it is the same thing. The current generation of consoles are vastly underpowered compared to PC's. So if Next Gen console owners can whine about last gen consoles holding games back then it is fair to say the "next gen" consoles are holding games back for the PC.

Just because they are accused of elitism doesn't make it true, like I said, there's nothing wrong with wanting to get the most out of your choice of platform.

Getting angry at others because they have the largest install base that then dictates where the bar is set for development is a different story.

I don't think it's fair to get mad at people with different platforms, because they didn't choose that platform to spite you, they chose it because it's what they wanted.

The whole elitism point comes down to how you conduct yourself.

I think that being a PC gamer, you've dealt with this issue for years and feel like you can't express dissatisfaction or else you'll be grouped with people that express themselves immaturely.

There's nothing wrong with wanting the best gameplay/graphics as that's the whole point of moving forward as a medium.

And you can still have the game be acessible as possible without making sacrifices to your core vision.

As I listed in my arcade to home console port example, if the game is developed for PC first, then simple things like draw distance is scaled back for next Gen consoles and lastly things that couldn't be done are removed from last Gen.

The idea is to develop a complete product and then scale back for each platform based on the capability of said hardware

My fear is that the most likely case will happen, being that the entire scope of the game is limited by the original plan that was made to be compatible with last Gen hardware, meaning everyone gets an overall lesser version.

Pillville

Yeah, but he was talking about Wolfenstein the Old Blood when he said that.

I really don't give two shits about whether the game is cross gen, it will be great either way. But at time when so many developers/publishers feed people false crap, why would you not just be as direct as possible. People have been burned before by vague statements, which is why they're having trust issues here.

The last post was phrased in a way to leave it open that another developer could be making version for PS3 and 360. And it strikes me as so strange that when asked if Fallout 4 is coming to those consoles, they give a definite answer about Wolfenstein but not the game questioned, lol.

If this was Bill Clinton talking about a scandal, then I'd say you'd be right to be skeptical about semantics. But as it is, there is no reason Bethesda would be trying to trick you.

They are nicely explaining that they only list the platforms that the game is coming out on. They don't bother listing what it ISN'T coming out on.

If this was Bill Clinton talking about a scandal, then I'd say you'd be right to be skeptical about semantics. But as it is, there is no reason Bethesda would be trying to trick you.

They are nicely explaining that they only list the platforms that the game is coming out on. They don't bother listing what it ISN'T coming out on.

But that's not what he said. He said they only list the consoles they develop for, which just seems strange instead of saying which ones it's coming out on. Again, I don't really care but it strikes me that every communication is very carefully worded.

But that's not what he said. He said they only list the consoles they develop for, which just seems strange instead of saying which ones it's coming out on. Again, I don't really care but it strikes me that every communication is very carefully worded.

It's possible they that have another studio handling the previous gen ports, but then why not announce it with all the other versions?

lmao at this

FUVgZs8.png

I said I want a ticket but I'm not on it ;_;

It's possible they that have another studio handling the previous gen ports, but then why not announce it with all the other versions?

If it's true, there could be a few reasons. Those versions might not be in a state ready for reveal, the release date could be later than current gen versions, etc. Or they might have seen the hyperbolic reactions on gaf about how many people weren't going to buy the game if it was on old hardware. Maybe they pulled the announcement of last gen, so that it wouldn't ruin the reveal at E3?

Who knows? It's all speculation, and it's probably going to be current gen only anyways.

*pops head in

Why's there still cross gen talk? Didn't the announcement finally quash that?

I don't know I think (I hope) it's still just the cries of the peasants but I've been out of the loop since about 5 minutes ago as well

If you're referring to me since I'm the most recent to bring up the implications of such a situation could you please adress your issue with what I said?

I apologize if you mean the skepticism around their vague official comments as I also believe they are being intentionally vague by not flat out stating there will never be a Fallout 4 on last gen.

MattyG

Banned
Jesus Christ.

Holy shit some of the responses in here are killing me. It's like they think Bethesda employees are sitting around twirling their mustaches saying "muahahaha, they'll never see it coming when we announce CROSS GEN. RELEASE THE DOWNGRADED VERSIONS."

Willful ignorance all up in this thread. It's not happening people. Let it go.

Pillville

He also said:
I apologize, my intention wasn't to be cryptic
You really think he would say that then go one to play a huge semantic trick on their fans?

He knows that everyone is talking about whether or not PS360 version exists, and is explaining that is DOES NOT EXIST. move on.

Compsiox

Banned
Holy shit some of the responses in here are killing me. It's like they think Bethesda employees are sitting around twirling their mustaches saying "muahahaha, they'll never see it coming when we announce CROSS GEN. RELEASE THE DOWNGRADED VERSIONS."

Willful ignorance all up in this thread. It's not happening people. Let it go.

You may be of the ignorant. The statement was clearly made with an opening for the versions to exist.

He also said:

You really think he would say that then go one to play a huge semantic trick on their fans?

He knows that everyone is talking about whether or not PS360 version exists, and is explaining that is DOES NOT EXIST. move on.

And yet he still answers it in such a roundabout way! All of those posts he was responding to by saying "I don't mean to be cryptic" were asking "could you please just say the game won't release on those platforms?". And then he still didn't lol

This whole thing reminds me of when Bill Cosby rambled about driving advice.

At this point they're either just being willfully difficult because they're offended that people would think this is crossgen, which is immature and unprofessional on their part, or they're being willfully misleading and there is a crossgen version. Both are pretty terrible. They sure hire a new PR guy.

Well then they should really get some better PR people who know how to clearly communicate. Nothing they have said entirely rules out a version on last gen. There's always some caveat, condition, or vagueness that leaves the possibility open. I have no idea why they would do that, and I don't really care. But the fact remains, they've never definitely said "no."

As you've requested, I'm moving on and won't bring it up any further.
This is a good point too, it could just be total incompetence on the part of the PR guy. But we also have the source from the guy who leaked the Uncharted Collection (who isn't the reddit guy).

MattyG

Banned
You may be of the ignorant. The statement was clearly made with an opening for the versions to exist.
You guys are thinking Bethesda is being a lot more nefarious and deceptive about this than they really are. I don't think they're stupid enough to play semantic games with us only to unveil a last gen version later. They aren't stupid, they know how that would turn out.

p3tran

Banned

Hello gstaff

congrats and please pass my best regards to Todd.
sometimes I think you guys are doing god's work :D

He also said:

Well then they should really get some better PR people who know how to clearly communicate. Nothing they have said entirely rules out a version on last gen. There's always some caveat, condition, or vagueness that leaves the possibility open. I have no idea why they would do that, and I don't really care. But the fact remains, they've never definitely said "no."

As you've requested, I'm moving on and won't bring it up any further.

Edit:

To clarify, my statement about PR was not directed at gstaff and I apologize if it came off that way. I understand he is working with boundaries of his job and is not always allow to communicate relevant information as determined by Bethesda. But honestly, they should ignore this issue at this point. Every new communication just seem to stir the pot more.

DOWN

Banned
Did they ever hide the platform release itself, or just the fact that they outsourced it?
They are hiding the platform release. Lead studio said they currently are handling Black Ops 3 for current gen and that's all. Then pressed harder, they would not deny last gen and said that if it were to happen, it wouldn't be their own studio's focus and would have to be handled separately. Then there were some listings for last gen found online even though they aren't mentioned by any of the marketing or announcements. Once that hit the news, the listings were pulled.

The last gen versions are basically all but confirmed to exist, and it's now a matter of Activision weighing when or if they'll actually hit the market. The lead studio used as much hands off language as they could without claiming last gen versions won't happen, even though they were able to say they aren't personally developing on last gen.

Mask

Man, the wait for E3 is getting harder and harder... Like the new Feral Ghoul redesign, a bit more fleshy than the original.

Sort of off-topic, Funko have announced Fallout Pop Vinyls! I saw a Deathclaw, male and female Lone Wanderer, and a Feral Ghoul. There's also Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Pops too.

Top Bottom