• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

ToiJu

garveyfpk7m.png

According to 1.12 patch notes next one means 1.13.

AEREC

garveyfpk7m.png

According to 1.12 patch notes next one means 1.13.

Awesome...was about to start looking for more info on this. I quit playing Fallout 4 on PC just before all the DLC came out.

Im thinking about getting it for the PS4 since I have a pro, but Im curious how the OG PS4 runs the game? Hopefully bump settings in Pro mode instead of just putting in 4K and calling it a day.

Unai

Is there a workaround to not get stuck in the craft menu? In normal mode I could use the console to teleport to santuary, but I'm on survival so the "coc santuaryext" command doesn't work (probably because fast travel is disable and I don't want to install a mod to enable it). PC version.

Edit: Never mind, it was a mod problem.

Hey guys, was thinking about picking Fallout 4 up on Black Friday for 19 bucks. I have both an Xbox One and a PS4 and was just wondering which version was the best bet.

I assume PS4 looks a tad better, while Xbox One has wider mod support. Is one advantage more significant than the other? Thanks.

Canadian

I'm about to start this for the first time, any advice to help make the game as enjoyable as possible? Difficulty setting, what to look out for or avoid, skills to focus on etc.

Hey guys, was thinking about picking Fallout 4 up on Black Friday for 19 bucks. I have both an Xbox One and a PS4 and was just wondering which version was the best bet.

I assume PS4 looks a tad better, while Xbox One has wider mod support. Is one advantage more significant than the other? Thanks.

I've got the PS4 version, it's fine, but I think the game would be better with wider mod support.

I'm about to start this for the first time, any advice to help make the game as enjoyable as possible? Difficulty setting, what to look out for or avoid, skills to focus on etc.

I loved playing with a Luck build, but the game gives you ample time to make your character how you want, and most of the perks seem worthwhile for once.

Risgroo

Does Nuka World get better later on? I'm doing the Grand Tour quest at the moment, and I'm not really enjoying it. The Galactic Zone was a real drag, and the Kiddie Kingdom isn't much better. Should I keep going?

Does Nuka World get better later on? I'm doing the Grand Tour quest at the moment, and I'm not really enjoying it. The Galactic Zone was a real drag, and the Kiddie Kingdom isn't much better. Should I keep going?

If you didn't enjoy those two places you better stop because that's all the DLC does: The grand tour with the different parks

Grinchy

Banned
For some odd reason, I decided to give Survival another shot. The last time I tried it, I was also trying to create a Steam Controller config while I played. So the SC and the game were both frustrating the shit out of me.

This time, I'm just playing with M/KB and I went in with a better plan. I've been addicted to the game ever since. After like 15ish hours of this new save file, I don't know if I can even go back to playing the game if it's not on Survival. It's shocking how much stuff they put in the game that is completely pointless on lower difficulties.

Branson

For some odd reason, I decided to give Survival another shot. The last time I tried it, I was also trying to create a Steam Controller config while I played. So the SC and the game were both frustrating the shit out of me.

This time, I'm just playing with M/KB and I went in with a better plan. I've been addicted to the game ever since. After like 15ish hours of this new save file, I don't know if I can even go back to playing the game if it's not on Survival. It's shocking how much stuff they put in the game that is completely pointless on lower difficulties.
First mod I install on skyrim too. It makes all of the food, places to sleep, drinks, actually have a meaning other than +5 health for 3 seconds.

Newboi

For anyone with the PC version of Fallout 4, and are running mods, has anyone else run into SEVERE performance issues when entering the city area where you first meet Paladin Danse? I have an overclocked GTX1080 and a core i7-3770K running at 4.4GHz, but performance plummets to near single digits when I go to the area of the city where Paladin Danse is. I'm not sure if my texture mods are causing this or this is a known issue.

Edit: The mission is Fire Support if you need to know.

Grinchy

Banned
First mod I install on skyrim too. It makes all of the food, places to sleep, drinks, actually have a meaning other than +5 health for 3 seconds.

Yeah, I now want it for The Elder Scrolls, too. It's just way more engaging this way. This year-old game is now keeping me away from PSVR and some Pro-enhanced PS4 games that I picked up recently.

Unai

So, if I link settlement A with settlement B, and settlement A with settlement C, will B share the materials with C?

For anyone with the PC version of Fallout 4, and are running mods, has anyone else run into SEVERE performance issues when entering the city area where you first meet Paladin Danse? I have an overclocked GTX1080 and a core i7-3770K running at 4.4GHz, but performance plummets to near single digits when I go to the area of the city where Paladin Danse is. I'm not sure if my texture mods are causing this or this is a known issue.

Edit: The mission is Fire Support if you need to know.

No problems here. If there were frame rate drops they were in the heat of the moment and I couldn't see, but I'm sure these weren't anywhere near 30 FPS much less as low as a single digit. I'm using an i7 2700k without overclock and a GTX 970. The only graphycal mods I have are the ones to make my character look prettier though, no heavy textures overhauls.

N° 2048

Being impatient I ran the verify. Ingame GetF4SE doesn't return the version so it isn't installed.

Thing is my mods work......should I still install F4SE?

BTW changing it worked!

I'm not too sure about mods, sorry :(
I'm on PS4, I just remember the dark Pip Boy bug being fixed with that setting.

Pipboy is fixed?

Unai

Replaying this game in survival mode has been great. I truly believe that Fallout 4 was designed around no fast-travel, unlike Skyrim. Well, survival-lite. I did enable the old save system.

Newboi

I think I isolated the random performance tank issue to a mod that allows all muzzle fire to cast dynamic shadows. I realized this once I was inside of a building and suddenly my performance tanked when a turret was firing at me. When it finally stopped, my performance shot back up. I can't say for absolute certain until I do more testing though.

Anyway, I am absolutely annoyed that the armorer, gun nut, blacksmith, science, and robotics higher perk tiers are hidden behind such high level requirements. Many of the coolest weapon and armor mods are locked behind the higher tier versions of those perks. I feel like the materials should be more of a barrier, not the actual perks themselves. I'm thinking of just downloading a mod that removes the level requirement from perks, so I can build my character how I want.

Unai

So many threads these last few weeks about how Fallout 4 sucks and whatnot, but I love it so much, specially now with survival mode. I'm very aware of the games problems in writing and RPG elements, but literally no one else makes exploration games and engaging as Bethesda does.

Biske

So I have resolved myself to come back in and finish this game.

I think I am at the tail end already.

One thing that just irked me about a choice I had to make though.

Its when you have to chose a side for the battle of Bunker Hill, and the choice I got was when talking to the railroad lady was either side with the railroad or the minutemen.... but like.. I am the fucking minutemen at this point. Everything I do should basically be what the minutemen do by default. Its certainly not fucking Preston dicking around in Sanctuary Hills arranging go kill quests. Come on. If at some point I do all this to find that the minutemen aren't cool with me... they can all fuck right off.

I'm finally getting around to playing the nuka-world DLC and I'm just not getting into it. I wonder how badly I will fail if I just opened up and killed all the raiders on sight?

Filben

Is there any way to transfer my character's face into a new game/save file? I probably want to start a new game at some point and want my exact character.

Another question: I recently finished the main quest (for the Railroad) and started Far Harbor. Are there any interesting places to visit (and sidequests) you guys recommend after finishing the game? Those radiant quests are boring as hell. I liked quests like the one with the little ghoul boy and his parents.

BFIB

Been a while since I've played this, decided to dig back in. Loaded up a new game with a few mods on XBox One. Here's what I got:

-Conversation mod that allows me to see exactly what my character will say
-Cheat mod (just turned off encumbered)
-Cannibal House Story
-Unofficial F4 patch

Anything else worth checking out? Any graphics mods worth loading up? I forgot how addicting this game can be.......

Unai

Been a while since I've played this, decided to dig back in. Loaded up a new game with a few mods on XBox One. Here's what I got:

-Conversation mod that allows me to see exactly what my character will say
-Cheat mod (just turned off encumbered)
-Cannibal House Story
-Unofficial F4 patch

Anything else worth checking out? Any graphics mods worth loading up? I forgot how addicting this game can be.......

I'm also using:
- Spring Cleaning;
- Settlement Management Software;
- Repairable Sanctuary;
- Place Everywhere;
- Journal of the Sole Survival; (allows you to write notes)
- FO4 Hotkeys;
- Enough About the Settlements Already Preston;

Unai

Oops, I think I might be mistaken, I was thinking of something else. Sorry about that. Maybe someone else here can confirm whether they work or not.

Effect

Thinking of reinstalling Fallout 4 to try out the new Survival mode. Was it done well?

I forget but are your normal saves and the Survival mode saves separate so you can't easily overwrite either?

Filben

I love how Bethesda finally added dialog-camera so you see your character you created and emotions as well. And you finally hear it. Works way better for the bonding. Emotions could be a bit better but for a Bethesda game it's pretty good:

Different topic: going to ask again, maybe someone has advice?

Is there any way to transfer my character's face into a new game/save file? I probably want to start a new game at some point and want my exact character.

Another question: I recently finished the main quest (for the Railroad) and started Far Harbor. Are there any interesting places to visit (and sidequests) you guys recommend after finishing the game? Those radiant quests are boring as hell. I liked quests like the one with the little ghoul boy and his parents.

mf.luder

I'm playing on PS4 and my controller seems to have a dead zone at random times. Does this happen to anyone else? I've never experienced it in any other games so I don't think it's my controller.

Tigress

Thinking of reinstalling Fallout 4 to try out the new Survival mode. Was it done well?

I forget but are your normal saves and the Survival mode saves separate so you can't easily overwrite either?

My opinion? Before survival mode I thought Fallout was a good game, not as long lasting and fun as I expect a Fallout game to be and it was not a good Fallout (as in the RPG was weak).

After survival it still had weak RPG but made the game so fun it almost made up for that and it was as fun as I expect a Fallout game to be (I rate 4 above 3 despite 3 having better RPG elements cause of survival mode... in the end the most important thing is how fun the game is overall to me though I prefer good RPG). It is what I wanted out of hardcore mode in New Vegas done more right (hardcore was too lenient and after a while you could even forget you had it, my rping eating and sleeping was enforcing that a lot more than hardcore mode was. Survival mode, I stopped worrying about enforcing my own personal RP laws cause survival mode enforces it for me. I do see the effects of not eating or drinking or sleeping in a way that impacts how I play the game. I think weight on ammo is about the same effect. And only being able to save at beds does make me feel I haev to be more careful and does add to my enjoyment <- I wasn't sure about that aspect. And hell, I have limited saves more because I have to weigh the risk of getting disease vs. saving the game so I actually save the game less often than I get chances to... I love the disease mechanic as well). Hell, survival mode made building shelters fun cause then I had to strategically build up bases (pick the ones most strategically located so as to have good drop off of junk/pats to focus on and do stuff like put doctors and beds and stuff). It means that I always have use for bottlecaps/stuff to sell as well.

I fully think survival mode is the way to play (wouldn't play without it now). And if they are going to continue having weak RPG aspects to Fallout they better include a survival mode from now on to make up for that. And I hope they improve on it too (maybe start having different things you need to fix different diseases).

Now, if only we could get a well written Fallout that uses a lot more skill checks so everything isn't always solved by combat (or at least has other ways you could solve it) with a good dialogue system (get rid of voice acting and the wheel... many reasons those both ruin the dialogue) along with that survival mode. They could top New Vegas if that happened (I think the game has a lot of potential as is but once again Bethesda's writers are what brings it down :(. And their lesser focus on the RP aspect of RPG).

Filben

I fully think survival mode is the way to play (wouldn't play without it now).
To be fair, Fallout was never about surviving, although the setting might makes you think of that. I tried the survival mode but it kept me away from the key aspects of Fallout so I turned it off. I finished it, though and will play it again with it being enabled. I think it's different experience, not better or worse. Just heavily altered, for you to play it completely different, not actually like a Fallout you used to play and way less action oriented since you avoid many fights.

I wish this game would offer more dialog options and more skill checks in those. Would be a much better RPG without touching the shooter-esque experience.

Tigress

To be fair, Fallout was never about surviving, although the setting might makes you think of that. I tried the survival mode but it kept me away from the key aspects of Fallout so I turned it off. I finished it, though and will play it again with it being enabled. I think it's different experience, not better or worse. Just heavily altered, for you to play it completely different, not actually like a Fallout you used to play and way less action oriented since you avoid many fights.

I wish this game would offer more dialog options and more skill checks in those. Would be a much better RPG without touching the shooter-esque experience.

Actually, for me survival mode actually encouraged me to be tighter with my RP. For one I do l ike to rp having to sleep and eat and drink and it's nice when the game actually enforces it for me. But I also found myself being stricter on if my character would really do something. Something about survival also encouraged me to be stricter on my rp as well.

And the original Fallout was not action oriented, it was very RP oriented (talking 1 and 2). If you were a character who fought their way out, yeah it would be. But you could be a character that tried to talk their way out of most things or sneak around stuff. Survival doesn't really address that (which is why I said it makes up for bad RP aspect rather than makes it a better RPG).

And honestly, one thing I loved about 3 when I first played it was the low level areas when I was low on ammo and even buying ammo wasn't enough. The kind of having low supplies and having to be very careful what I used. But with Bethesda games that goes away and you end up with all you ever need.

I miss the skill checks and good dialogue too (and there's no reason you can't have the survival aspect and that as well). But the survival makes it so much fun that it still is as fun as I expect a Fallout to be even if it isn't as good an RPG as Fallouts used to be (well even 3 is a weak RPG but 4 mostly due to the bad dialogue is even worse).

And I just have to disagree that it doesnt' make it better or worse. For me it makes it much better. Fallout 4 without survival is fun for a bit but doesn't last as long as any other Fallout game does for me. I'd rate it below 3 as it's a weaker RPG. Fallout 4 with survival stays fun for much longer and is replayable even after taking breaks). And has me rating it above 3 easily (still below 2 and New Vegas). So, I cannot agree it does not make the game better.

Biske

And honestly, one thing I loved about 3 when I first played it was the low level areas when I was low on ammo and even buying ammo wasn't enough. The kind of having low supplies and having to be very careful what I used. But with Bethesda games that goes away and you end up with all you ever need.

I miss the skill checks and good dialogue too (and there's no reason you can't have the survival aspect and that as well). But the survival makes it so much fun that it still is as fun as I expect a Fallout to be even if it isn't as good an RPG as Fallouts used to be (well even 3 is a weak RPG but 4 mostly due to the bad dialogue is even worse).

It is a lot more fun when you feel limited. Except in settlements. But that is a whole other story.

But in the actual game, the start does always have more magic then the later half, when you have a boat load of weapons and ammo and you are just knocking down endless mannequins. Where you die only through unexpected negligence, not because the fights are all that hard.

The skill checks really suffer.

It is one thing to see like, hey need Science for this, should I risk it? Or I got like a 30% chance should I risk it.

But when its sometimes even hard to notice WHICH is the skill check option, or you just see a red one, then it fails.

And its like... ah cool, that sucked, and not know just why you failed, my charisma is at 10? Not enough? Not smart enough? etc etc.

They really botched that from Fallout 3.

Filben

It is one thing to see like, hey need Science for this, should I risk it? Or I got like a 30% chance should I risk it.
As far as I know only charisma is used in Fallout 4. Talking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I don't know what I find better. The percentage based skill checks in Fallout 3, or the absolute skill level based checks that even gives you different dialog lines when not meeting the requirement or doing so. Pretty funny at times. Another thing would be cool: like in Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny, giving you the option to turn that meta info off, so basically displaying the specific dialog line without the prefix [Medicine, Strength, etc.] because it's often a no-brainer to take these because that reaches your goal (a thing I liked in Vampire: Bloodlines, where intimidating answers could also lead to combat and not only peaceful resolve of your problem).

That being said, I think there is much potential for Fallout 4 to be a better RPG without sacrificing it's established features (I love the VATS mode and the dialog camera and system that is more natural and less mechanical because you can still move, aren't bonded and could leave without clicking a 'goodbye' option).

Top Bottom