• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Pete Hines Defends His “Solid 30 FPS” Comment...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hmmm, a little abrasive, but what does everyone else think?

Pete Hines was quick to stress that the early reports about the game’s frame rate on PS4 were regurgitated from one source and the game actually runs well on the PS4. He said that he never personally encountered frame rate drops on PS4.

From Twitter:
David Moreira @DavidMo92898701
@DCDeacon A lot of reports are mentioning the framerate problems on ps4. Why can't developers release a proper optimized game on PS4?

Pete Hines @DCDeacon
@DavidMo92898701 no they aren't. they regurgitated one thing one person said. game runs well on PS4.
8:00 AM - 9 Nov 2015

James R @JamesWatch
@DCDeacon Not stable 30fps on PS4, hits 0fps on Xbone. How low are your standards? Why lie about performance before? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Pete Hines @DCDeacon
@JamesWatch ? I told you my experiences. Article says "Fallout 4 does hold 30fps as a general rule". So...
9:20 AM - 9 Nov 2015

Oh boy:
Fallout4Fallout4Fal @TomoCarty
Come on, Todd! Come on Pete! They were in the iPhone commercial ffs patch it in. @Fallout @DCDeacon @BethesdaStudios

Pete Hines @DCDeacon
@TomoCarty Wait, you have a specific name you insist has to be in the game?!?! Stay right there. This has never happened before.
2:54 PM - 9 Nov 2015

(Sorry for the quotes and not pics, at work).

Fallout 4: Pete Hines Defends His “Solid 30 FPS” Comment , Talks About Frame Rate On PS4 And Xbox One

Patch my 0fps some day, maybe, Bethesda?, you there? if old.

gdt

We can't even get mad at these guys. Its what they do.

And reviewers never find these tech issues. Its like they are blind to them.

Edit: And every gaffer who gets the game early is blind to it. Well, mostly.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
I'm on PS4 and the game is stable. The framerate dips, though. Plain and simple. Like, to the 10-15 mark in some interiors.

Why didn't he just shut up.
The game came out, it's a success critically and I'm sure it'll be commercially. There isn't any reason to tweet again till their next game.

Falcker

I'm on PS4 and the game is stable. The framerate dips, though. Plain and simple. Like, to the 10-15 mark in some interiors.

Its far from stable, the entire factory section that you go to at the start is well below 30 FPS nearly the entire time and the framerate nose dives whenever any alpha effects are used which is quite often.

There is no way people are missing these issues, way too frequent.

Sakura

I mean, it does dip, sometimes by 10 or more. But I would say 95%+ of the time it is pretty close to or at 30 so it isn't really that bad.
Though obviously it's not a solid 30 either.

Hines and The Toddler have always been bullshit artists, so no surprise there. What is amazing, however, is how they always manage to get away with it.

Its far from stable, the entire factory section that you go to at the start is well below 30 FPS nearly the entire time and the framerate nose dives whenever any alpha effects are used which is quite often.

There is no way people are missing these issues, way too frequent.
Not there yet in my game but generally speaking I have a hard time telling frame dips. I wonder if I will notice....

Falcker

Not there yet in my game but generally speaking I have a hard time telling frame dips. I wonder if I will notice....

Its pretty substantial, on the level of "why is my controller not reacting" when you enter specific rooms because the latency is so high due to the drop to 10 fps.

Fjordson

What I think is that Bethesda needs to work on their console development. Big time.

As for Pete Hines specifically? I dunno, he's PR. Deflecting like this is part of the job, isn't it? Though maybe refrain in the future from too many specifics on console framerate given Bethesda's track record lol.

tumblr_inline_nrfre6huFa1ttynqk_500.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its pretty substantial, on the level of "why is my controller not reacting" when you enter specific rooms because the latency is so high due to the drop to 10 fps.

Then you are the only one on a closed box architecture seeing this. Tell Sony to replace your PS4, because Hines said so... basically.

What I think is that Bethesda needs to work on their console development. Big time.

As for Pete Hines specifically? I dunno, he's PR. Deflecting like this is part of the job, isn't it? Though maybe refrain in the future from too many specifics on console framerate given Bethesda's track record lol.

Agreed.

He is what NOT to do as a PR person. Greenberg spins some gems, but he is not a douche bag like this dude comes off as. Very holier than thou attitude, because people buy the games regardless. It is like a drugged out rockstar syndrome, lol.

"Hello, I'm Pete Hines, the rockstar!" - Get Him to the Geek

Pete has the luxury of working for a team that consistently puts out monster hits regardless of their shoddy consistency on consoles.

Would be interesting to see how his approach/persona holds up if he worked on a lesser team with less successful products (eg - Tony Hawk or Ready at Dawn).

D-VoN

Meanwhile the XBO version is hitting zero.

If any other game launched this poorly optimized and bug-ridden, it'd be buried already. Looks like we'll need the mod community to save the day once again.

Guy always came off as a douche to me.

This kind of attitude honestly makes me not want to buy the game, I don't like to support egotistical asses.

finalflame

Gold Member
They need to work on patching this shit. Very first "interior" area you go to for a mission related to the
Minutemen
has terrible drops. I mean, into the teens. It's absolutely unacceptable for framerate to be dropping to unplayable rates. This isn't even some obscure mission or scenario or small sidequest, it was like the second mission for a large faction in the game.

Outdoors and for the most part it's at or close to 30, though. But the reports of dips when aiming through sights and indoors are not exaggerated at all. People are such die-hard apologists sometimes it's hard to believe.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how you can work at Bethesda and say with a straight face that your games don't have technical issues. Their games are buggy messes.

FStop7

Banned
At one point it seemed like the concept of a "community manager" was to act as an ombudsman or liaison between the community and the developers.

But it seems it's ultimately become a contest to see who can be the most arrogant dbag to the community on Twitter so they can preen and do victory laps for an audience of none.

Can't believe that Bethesda constantly gets away with this. They have a reputation for developing shoddy games yet people still wait in lines to buy their products.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People buying Bethesda games day 1 have nobody to blame but themselves.

Show some patience folks, the game isn't going to spontaneously cease to exist if you don't buy it the second it goes on sale.

Fucknuggets, seriously. CDPR console versions of TW3 were pretty inconsistent too, but they were honest and worked their asses off to get the version of the game where it is now.

I wish Bethesa would have that attitude.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was watching Karak from ACG during his livestream on the PC and the framerate would crater. He can clarify, but it seems like he has a decently beefy PC. Not surprised it's happening on consoles. I don't even know why Pete would say something like this that would be proven so blatantly false within minutes of the game's release.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Fucknuggets, seriously. CDPR console version were pretty incostitent too, but they were hones and worked their asses of to get the version of the game where it is now.

I wish Bethesa would have that attitude.

Ignorance is bliss. Let's just pretend there are no issues, then there won't be any!

At one point it seemed like the concept of a "community manager" was to act as an ombudsman or liaison between the community and the developers.

But it seems it's ultimately become a contest to see who can be the most arrogant dbag to the community on Twitter so they can preen and do victory laps for an audience of none.

eh, it ebbs and flows with the coming and going of the tides.

Major Nelson for one seems drastically humbled from the champagne days of the 360.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How's Bethesda's history in issuing patches?

Are they as frequent and substantial as CDPR?

If CDPR patching model was a diamond necklace in the rough, Bethesda would not even be plastic costume jewelry from Dollar Tree.

Best I could come up with.

Yukinari

Didnt take long for someone to post, "its not so bad guys".

Can someone tell me if this game ever gets to Skyrim PS3 levels of unplayable?

Top Bottom