• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't look better than MGSV that was a ghost town save for a few well placed settlements, or The Witcher 3 that didn't run very well on consoles (and is still being patched). Ok. Sure.

The issue that many are or were making is this uncurrent in the "criticism" that the technical merits of the game somehow fall massively lower than SIMILAR games. Which is absolute horseshit. You're upset that there aren't shadows on the trees in the distance - great. However don't pretend this is some new phenomenon and that you really expected this to be the case for this game on consoles.

Because we're all confident that FO4 will run great on consoles. I mean, Skyrim and Oblivion and FO3 all did!

Oh, wait.

Shadows are still missing at things more than 4-5 meters from the player in those shinobi shots

Dog is also missing shadow at an even closer range.. making me think character shadows disappear closer to camera fov than environmental shadows.
look good?

No I do not think that looks good. But it looks too similar to fo4 for my liking as well. If one made that image have a blown out constrast to white like all the fallout images so far... they would be scarily similar.

The new PNGs were taken in a way to mask the shortcomings of the game on the PS4, namely in terms of its short draw distance for shadows, AO, and vegetation. The problems are still there, but aren't the focus of the screenshots and are hidden to the sides of the screen rather than dead center.

Those who have suddenly made a turnaround opinion based on the PNGs don't seem to have understood the criticisms of the first screenshots, especially the open vista. The PNGs are very carefully framed to avoid showing these issues.

This is a screenshot thread, and therefore other subjects have little relevance, but my lack of enthusiasm for Fallout 4 has more to do with key design decisions such as a voiced PC, a dialogue square, and little to no information about skill checks. In addition, Bethesda's recent history has been very poor with regards to writing, world-building, quest design, and implementing RPG systems.

Are the new shots from Bethesda or "leaked"?

Because the difference from jpg to png is no where neat that big. The Console Screenshot thread proves that as such. They are cleaner in that thread, but not color popped, etc.

These new ones look WAY better.

I will admit, it looks like a difference from a pre-patched game, and a patched one for instance... so something does not seem kosher with either those original leaked ones, or the new ones.

I would be careful about saying that on this forum. Especially knowing some of the posters on here who, yes, are well versed in "graphics rendering and computation".
Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol. Yea, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with a bit longer draw distances. Last ones for real this time:

Fallout4_20151031142144.png

Fallout4_20151031143514.png

Fallout4_20151031143310.png

Fallout4_20151031153136.png

Fallout4_20151031153218.png

Fallout4_20151031143730.png

Don't tempt me, I don't want to replace my 970 just yet.

Even at non 4k I am sure it will be great. I have to 'cope' with the Xbox One version but judging by these PS4 shots from Shinobi I have nothing to complain. Definitely looks very close/on par with the footage they've shown.

That's why I think the OP should put the PNGs first in the very first post. We still get people now commenting on the 'shitty' shots.

Venom Fox

Banned
Fair enough, but the difference is little more than semantics. Of course there'll be "oh wow, that looks good" moments, just like there'll be "oh wow, that looks bad" moments, relative to the 'average' look of the game. It would seem that Shinobi's images showcase the former, whereas the set that started the thread showcase the latter (but, overall, I'd say that the set of images that started the thread are probably more representative of what the game actually looks like, in showing things like NPC's and draw-distances).
Ah ok, good arguement, I for one never take bad screens if I can help it. I always look for those beautiful moments and capture them in the moment. I do agree with everyone when they say that it's not the best looking game out there (it really isn't). It's just annoying when people outright say it looks shit and give no reason as to why that is.

And yeah your right, the first set will actually be what we get, the general moment to moment graphics. However, I had no problems with those graphics anyway because that's what I expected.

The mind only sees what it is prepared to comprehend, it is what we are blind to that matters.

ref

.PNGs make the game look much better, hope people didn't actually think those horribly compressed .jpgs were representative.

Game looks fine in my opinion, it has a very soft feel to it.

Can't wait to play on PC.

How are these problems? Are they known bugs?

It is a problem because it looks ugly. I can understand that these decisions are necessary on consoles because of their limited power. But I have not seen anyhing yet that suggests that the PC version won't have this problem, and this would be very disappointing. Because there is no reason why the game has to look this ugly on a PC.

Fjordson

Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol. Yea, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with longer draw distances. Last ones for real this time:

Awesome! Love those two night shots.

Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol. Yea, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with longer draw distances. Last ones for real this time:

Looks much better, happy to see shadows there. Still gotta pick X1 or PS4.

Will get PC and mod down the line though.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol, caught me red handed. Yes, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with longer draw distances. Last ones for real this time:

https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031142144.png[/IM G]

[IMG]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031143514.png[/IM G]

[IMG]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031143310.png[/IM G]

[IMG]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031153136.png[/IM G]

[IMG]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031153218.png[/IMG ]

[IMG]https://www.anony.ws/i/2015/10/31/Fallout4_20151031143730.png[/IM G][/QUOTE]

as payment for helping you with your internet woes 3 years ago, I demand more.

tuxfool

Banned
It's just - I know it was crossgen, and that's fine. I'm not bashing on the game. I'm just saying it looks like a weak crossgen game would. Which is whatever, but I don't see how anyone can think it looks good in a world where The Witcher 3 exists, and I don't see where Bethesda gets away with this, especially when CDPR did what they did with a fraction of the staff, budget, and time.

I'd correct you here and state that the FO4 team is smaller than the W3 team. Though I don't know about the budget.

Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol. Yea, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with a bit longer draw distances. Last ones for real this time:

Best part is the atmosphere for sure. They nailed that. I love all the little rust and stuff in the Vault

maxglute

Neo Member
I'm not the biggest graphics whore, the graphic style is charming but overall fidelity is... barely serviceable. Well framed landscape money shots are dime a dozen in open world games, but interiors leave a lot to be desired. One indoor shot with dominant lighting source doesn't negate the lack of item shadows in initial images and general flatness of texture and lighting. I'm sure there's more materiality expressed in motion considering PBR, but the stills don't pass scrutiny compared to recent AAA games.

Venom Fox

Banned
Conspiracy theorists alive and well it seems lol. Yea, the point was to show that the game can look good just as it can look not quite so good, like every game. No reason to hide anything. Here, some with a bit longer draw distances.

Shinobi, big ask but can you please try and get a pic of the perk charts etc? Those of us who reside in the "fallout 4 has gone gold" thread are dying to see it.

Please tell me to do one if I'm pushing my luck :)

cackhyena

Oh, you can choose the color of the UI? Could you do that in previous ones? I can't remember. Either way I dig the blue much more than green, even though it's still flat and boring.

That's LoD, it's a setting that basically tones down textures and shadows that are far away, it's turned down abnormally low in the PS4 screens. Which is the main thing most people have been complaining about. And, as I mentioned previously, I don't really even care all that much(not to mention it won't even be an issue as I'm playing on PC).
Ah ok, thanks for that. I'm no expert when it comes to technical terminology.

Oh man. Those new shots look great too. Hallelujah!

ymgve

Will those smaller buildings even have doors and differently modeled interiors then? Seems like it'll be more of a shell structure with crusty beds/mattresses and cabinets thrown in similar to FO3. Guess we'll see soon enough.

The big question is the number of small buildings, the number of larger enterable buildings with a loading screen, and how many of the buildings that are just scenery.

Fallout4_20151031151930.png

In this picture, I'm certain the building in front of you is just decoration since the front door is barricaded. The yellow one to the right might be enterable through a loading screen, but most likely not. The small building in the back between those two seems to be enterable without a loading screen. The decorated building to the left looks like it's enterable without loading too. (At least its windows look more irregular and doesn't look like textures)

The building straight to your left is of course enterable, but it looks pretty much ruined and won't have much in terms of loot.

Alienous

Right, as I thought.

Your images are showing how the game can look good, but I don't think the images that set the thread off were intending to show how the game can look bad. They just seem like a set of 'I have Fallout 4' images. So I can't discount what might be more more unbiased view of the game.

That said your images show that the game can look good. Now I'm wondering how often that is the case.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

Well damn, that vault interior shot actually looks goddamn nice. A crazy difference compared to the earlier leaked shot that truly looked like a high res Fallout 3 vault, for real. There's you know.... Actually lighting in there.

tuxfool

Banned
Source? I have a VERY hard time believing that, Bethesda has said time and again their entire studio was working on FO4.

I can't find a source, but I recall somebody stating that the FO4 team is about 140 people. I'd say the W3 team was of a similar size for most of development, until they ramped up in the final year.

cackhyena

Yeah it looks terrible in areas. Like, undeniably bad. In other areas it looks fine, but I still got it preordered. GCU and reward points put it at a 34 dollar purchase so...

For example the LOD for both shadows and actual detail are pretty bad here. The hills in the back have no shadowing and just a couple sparse badly rendered trees.

The game can look solid but really poor at times as well

daftstar

You recall wrong. While there was almost definitely a new cell loaded, there was no traditional loading screen. It was just a fade into black and fade out to the interior lasting less than a second. It was practically instantaneous.

We have already scene numerous buildings that are open to the game world, one in the very screen shots shinobi posted and in the original ss in the OP. So we know they exist, what we don't yet know is what percentage of buildings will require a loading transition and which won't. Whether it's based on size or some other criteria.

For instance the bank that can be seen in that leaked footage looks seamless as you can just make out the doors being open letting you see into the interior for a brief second, yet the grocery store looks of equal size from the outside but requires a load.

They made mention that requiring a load was something that was useful for level designers because it freed them from the constraints of the exterior dimensions of a building. Because the game world is not to scale they can often have truly large buildings on the outside. But with a separate interior cell they can make the inside larger.

I guess I was referring to the 'Please Stand By' splash screen at 1:13 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgovPdBVB0

And you can't really distinguish that "fade into black instantaneous" as real-time gameplay since the demo had a bunch of jumpcuts between footage anyways.

Roldan

Reading this thread has been fantastic lol

Anyway, I think the game looks good. It's not extremely impressive, but not every game needs to be, imo.

DirtyLarry

Judging anything in life just on its looks, whether it is another person or yes, even a video game, is truly doing a terrible disservice to oneself. It is also incredibly shallow.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Shinobi, big ask but can you please try and get a pic of the perk charts etc? Those of us who reside in the "fallout 4 has gone gold" thread are dying to see it.

Please tell me to do one if I'm pushing my luck :)

I doubt they are going to do that. Screenshots are one thing, actual gameplay details are another thing entirely.

odhiex

I don't like the post apocalyptic world of Fallout 3, because it was too brown-ish for my taste. Now it is much colourful.

I might buy this on ps4, thanks for sharing the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom