• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Spoiler Thread (Stay away if you hate spoilers)

I felt after BoS ending that they are even worse than institute. Especialy Maxson. At least Institute can be turned around since you are their leader by the end. You can use all their technology to help people out. When I gave the speech to the commonwealth I promised to help them out. BoS just caused another destruction at the end and nothing was accomplished to help actual people of the commonwealth.
I mean, arguably with the BoS, their military might will help stabilize the region.

I'll be honest though, I didn't pick a faction based on who I thought would help the most. That would have required an investment in the world, which I didn't feel thanks to the game's amazingly terrible writing. I went with the BoS because they were the faction I first interacted with and they gave me the opportunity to kill my son.

Steejee

BoS' ending didn't even make sense in the context of their own lore in FO4.

Maxon was going back to the more west coast-ey BoS with the technology obsession, but clearly with some changes pulled from the Outcasts. They had the firepower to go in and completely wipe out everyone inside of the Institute and take over that whole base and study the Institute's tech at their leisure. It's not like the Synths were a huge threat to their Knights in Power Armor, I watched the BoS wipe the floor with everyone at Bunker Hill.

You, as someone who infiltrated the Institute, had access to most everything in there and would have made it pretty easy for the BoS to gain full access to data, layouts, plans, etc.

Instead, you all rush in blitz style, plant a bomb, and run away, blowing all that glorious technology sky high. That sort of wastefulness should get you exiled from the BoS.

Jackpot

Banned
Not marking since this is the spoiler thread.Anyone who is concerned about spoilers would not come in here anyway,...

who did you guys side with ? I finished the game with Institute and the Brotherhood and umm..... to me it seems like brotherhood is the bad ending and institute was the good ending.EVen though the game sets up the institute as the villain. Brotherhood is a terrible faction in this game as opposed to part 3. They are as bad as legionaries from NV. Anyways Institute ending was great. The finals moments between MC and his son is touching. Also since you are the director of the most powerful organization and scientifically advanced faction in the commonwealth you can actually improve everyone's lives.

improve them by replacing them with synths. They were so dismissive of all the deaths they'd caused, so out of touch with surface life in their little bubble. How can you trust them to lead the Commonwealth when they have so little experience of it? They treated the peoples' lives as if they were nothing. They were the threat that people feared most in a land with Deathclaws.

-is how I reasoned it to myself.

BoS were so clearly a modern-day Inquisition that I went with the Railroad. The Minutemen faction did nothing to form a relationship with me and instead sent me on the same colony-founding quests and I've always had a soft-spot for sentient AIs.

I went with the Brotherhood. The Railroad are too damn fragmented for their own good and are basically incapable of achieving anything. The Institute are plain evil, no matter what way you swing it. Sure, they want to improve humanity, but they're doing it by replacing people with robot versions of themselves. It's like the plot of The World's End, basically.

Brotherhood are a bunch of extremist dicks, but they seem to be able to bring stability to the region. Maxson is a dick, though, but Danse's quest proves he's able to be convinced to do the right thing.

I like the Minutemen as a faction, too. My second playthrough I finished the game with them, while being on friendly terms with the Railroad and without ever even speaking to the Brotherhood. Would've loved to see their faces when the Institute went kablooey.

BoS' ending didn't even make sense in the context of their own lore in FO4.

Maxon was going back to the more west coast-ey BoS with the technology obsession, but clearly with some changes pulled from the Outcasts. They had the firepower to go in and completely wipe out everyone inside of the Institute and take over that whole base and study the Institute's tech at their leisure. It's not like the Synths were a huge threat to their Knights in Power Armor, I watched the BoS wipe the floor with everyone at Bunker Hill.

You, as someone who infiltrated the Institute, had access to most everything in there and would have made it pretty easy for the BoS to gain full access to data, layouts, plans, etc.

Instead, you all rush in blitz style, plant a bomb, and run away, blowing all that glorious technology sky high. That sort of wastefulness should get you exiled from the BoS.

I dunno, once they got pretty far in I saw a group of Railroad Heavies with Gauss Rifles absolutely wipe the floor with the brotherhood in Bunker Hill.

Steejee

I dunno, once they got pretty far in I saw a group of Railroad Heavies with Gauss Rifles absolutely wipe the floor with the brotherhood in Bunker Hill.

Guess it came down to luck of the draw a little. I had a lot of Power Armor BoS w/laser miniguns spawn, so when they zoomed in on a target they were lights out. I suppose inside Bunker Hill it *was* always the Railroad that won.

Glory made it sound like we were the only two 'Heavies' left, yet there were a pile of ass kicking heavies at that battle..

In either case the Institute got manhandled.

My final ending was Minutemen w/Railroad active. Seemed the overall best-for-everyone ending. My ultimate ending would have been:

Take over Institute
Destroy/push back Brotherhood, or at least vaporize the airship and offer the survivors amnesty. Their pilots are far too drunk for the Commonwealth's safety.
Make some sort of peace with Railroad and clean out the Institute bad eggs
Make the Minutemen a primary player in day to day Commonwealth activity
Reform the provisional government

Of course the actual endings were 'Blow up everyone else', so not much nuance there. Even when I did the friendliest speech I could for Institute it was like 'Alright, now that you've talked about our peace plans lets go to murderville.'

Seyavesh

the most powerful postgame faction in terms of allies present is easily the railroad because 100% of their troops spawn with railguns

it also makes those "help defend the checkpoint" missions super easy to ignore because there's an extremely high chance that they just kill everything on their own due to that

Replicant

So there have been some Youtube videos posted before about how to achieve peace between Minuteman, BoS, and Railroad (while obliterating Institute) AKA the least worse ending. I found it hard to decipher so I opened that while I opened the Quest list from some site. And here's what I got. The question mark indicates that I'm not sure if it should go there but more or less is around there.

Warning: this will mean you can't finish the Institute's missions and many of BoS missions but you can do that on separate play-through if you do it on each save point I indicate below.

How to Achieve Peace between Minuteman, BoS, and Railroad

Main Quest Act 1 - Out of Time
Main Quest Act 1 - When Freedom Calls

Minuteman Quest - Sanctuary
Minuteman Quest - The First Step

Main Quest Act 1 - Jewel of the Commonwealth
Main Quest Act 1 - Unlikely Valentine
Main Quest Act 1 - Getting a Clue

BoS Recon Team Quest - Fire Support
BoS Recon Team Quest - Call to Arms
BoS Recon Team Quest - Semper Invicta, including The Lost Patrol (IMPORTANT!)

(?) Minuteman Quest - Taking Independence

************************ MAIN SAVE POINT 1 ************************ (Save BEFORE letting Dogmeat smells the Cigar. All Hell break loose the minute you start Reunion - The Brotherhood descends onto Boston at the end of the mission)

Main Quest Act 1 - Reunions (WARNING: finishing reunion will automatically trigger Reveille OR Shadow of Steele)
Main Quest Act 2 - Dangerous Minds

(?) Minuteman Quest - Old Guns
(?) Minuteman Quest - Inside Job

(?) Main Quest Act 2 - The Glowing Sea
(?) Main Quest Act 2 - Hunter/Hunted

(?) Railroad Quest - Road to Freedom

(?) Main Quest Act 2 - The Molecular Level

************************ MAIN SAVE POINT 2 ************************ (continue with this route OR choose the Institute path+ending)

(?) Main Quest Act 2 - Institutionalised (WARNING: finishing this will lead to the Institute mission, Synth Retention. Get yourself banned from the institute by killing someone there after meeting all division heads.)

BoS Quest - Reveille (only applicable if you didn't meet the BoS Recon Teams beforehand)
BoS Quest - Shadow of Steel, grab all BoS side missions but do not complete just yet

************************ MAIN SAVE POINT 3 ************************ (continue with this route OR choose BoS path+ending)

BoS Quest - Tour of Duty (WARNING: completing this will lead to Show No Mercy, which you should try to fail)

Minuteman Quest - Form Ranks
Minuteman Quest - Defend the Castle

Railroad Quest - Tradecraft
Railroad Quest - Underground Undercover
Railroad Quest - Operations Ticonderoga
Railroad Quest - Precipe of War

************************ MAIN SAVE POINT 4 ************************ (continue with this route OR choose the Railroad path+ending)

Railroad Quest - Randolph Safehouse 6

Minuteman Quest - The Nuclear Option (WARNING: use the Minuteman's version of The Nuclear Option!)

************************ MAIN SAVE POINT 5 ************************ (for use if you want to continue with this route with your DLC)

DLC + Profit?

KiraXD

improve them by replacing them with synths. They were so dismissive of all the deaths they'd caused, so out of touch with surface life in their little bubble. How can you trust them to lead the Commonwealth when they have so little experience of it? They treated the peoples' lives as if they were nothing. They were the threat that people feared most in a land with Deathclaws.

-is how I reasoned it to myself.

BoS were so clearly a modern-day Inquisition that I went with the Railroad. The Minutemen faction did nothing to form a relationship with me and instead sent me on the same colony-founding quests and I've always had a soft-spot for sentient AIs.

you sound like me... lol. ive always had a soft spot for the synths so i always used Valentine as a companion... but overall the institute was nuts... killing people who got in their way. All railroad wanted was to free the synths who wanted out... so i went with Railroad.

Brotherhood were nazis imo... i didnt actually finish their story before nuking the airship, but they always were dicks to everyone i was with... so... fuck em.

And yeah, i felt nothing for the minutemen... i actually was pissed at them because i couldnt assign a lot of them in my castle... assholes.

Denton

It's such a shame to considering how well New Vegas tied things together with the NCR, Caesar's Legion, Great Khans, Mr.House and the BoS who was a minor player in that territory.

For example "Hey Desdemona, the current leader of the institute is dying who is my son. I'm slated to become their next leader. If you give me some time I can change things from the inside and we won't have to resort to violence"

Instead it's "Go kill these guys or go kill these guys" The main character is such a pushover it's not even funny.

And at least the Enclave had a fucking plan, I don't even know what the Institute's was. Build a shit ton of synths + build a power plant= bettering humanity????

I'll even give Fallout 3 more credit with it's end showdown with the Enclave even without Broken Steel. At least there was the interesting conversation with John Henry... Fallout 4's ending was so anti-climactic it's not even funny.

I can't believe how awful the main plot wrapped up tbh.

I just finished the game and this sums it up.

Replicant

I've tried to re-construct the sequence of missions/plot as a graph. I'm going to use this but it maybe of use to some of you too:

77gH5Hr.png

Oh:

Brown: Minutemen
Orange: Railroad
Black: Main Questline
Red: Brotherhood
Blue: Institute

Finally Platin'ed the game. I really took my time with this game, playing mostly stealth+doing most quests, clearing out most locations and gather all the resources I can find.
"Perfect". Had to load another save and look up the locations of 7 more Bobbleheads for the last few trophies.

My actual save is with the Institute ending, though I'm also still aligned with the Minutemen. I consider this the best ending. The Institute is the best known chance in the Fallout world for humanity to make a comeback. Now that I'm the director I can get rid of the fucked up shit they've been doing (kidnappings for experiments, Synth replacing people as well as more rights for the Synths that developed a consciousness). The game didn't acknowledge this, but my character has 9 INT and lots of science perks so taking over the position wasn't so jarring.

It helps that the Institute is now an open presence and my customized speech reflects the focus on good intentions. Piper also wrote a newspaper with an optimistic look that also explains why the other factions had to go:
Fear the Future?
By
Piper Wright

We've all succumbed to it, at one point or another. No matter how brave, or how strong we actually are, the people of the Commonwealth have known Fear.

Ever since the "Broken Mask" incident of 2229, right here in Diamond City, when the first human-looking synth infiltrated and attacked a group of innocent settlers, we have lain awake in bed at night, terrified of the Institute and everything it represents.

Long have we dreaded the possibilities: Will someone I know be taken in the night for who knows what reason? Will one of my loved ones suddenly turn on me, because they are, in fact, a synth replacement? Or will the boogeyman finally step out of the closet and devour all who stand in it way?

We, the people of the Commonwealth, remember the past. We live in terror in the present. But must we also fear the future?

In an almost unthinkable series of recent events, the Institute has destroyed anyone in the Commonwealth who could conceivably stop them, including longterm player the Railroad, as well as the newly arrived Brotherhood of Steel. What's more, the shadowy, sinister organization has completed work on an advanced nuclear reactor that will provide them with nearly unlimited power for the foreseeable future. This surely means greater underground expansion, as well as increased range of their teleporter technology (which, until recently, had been a closely-guarded Institute secret).

So what exactly does this mean for the Commonwealth, going forward?

"Nothing good" seems to be the consensus. In fact, most people assume the worst.

But isn't it possible these fears are unfounded? The Railroad may have opposed the Institute, but they also defended all synths - even those who would potentially infiltrate human society. And the Brotherhood's mighty airship may now lie a smoldering wreck - but was the neo-knightly order really interested in the Commonwealth's best interests anyway?

But perhaps the most compelling reason not to give up hope just yet is the fact that, if my sources are correct - and I know they are - the Institute is now under direct influence of someone many of us have already met - the Vault Dweller. That lonely figure who came into our settlement searching for a missing child, and clearly found something else entirely. And maybe, just maybe, the Institute is all the better for it.

So be wary as we go into a new tomorrow, my friends. But stay strong. And always, always remember that humanity lives and dies on the surface. Humanity IS the Commonwealth. And maybe, just maybe, the Institute can be a part of that now.

The Brotherhood were fascists and would just implement a paramilitary regime, one that my player character can't even influence that much as I'm stuck being a Sentinel.

The Railroad were laughable, so few in numbers and they want to destroy so much just to rescue a bunch of Synths (of which some even turn into a menace). They also offer no way to improve the situation for humans in the world at all.

However - having to kill some very likable characters by myself felt weird. Especially killing the railroad. It would have been enough to sabotage their operations, giving info about their base to the BoS etc.

The Minutemen are back in strength and will offer a short-term benefit for all the problems of the local people, supported by Institute resources of course but people trust the Minutemen more so it's better to have them as the acting arm in settlements.

I appreciate that I could roleplay a bit my character how my character changed over time via ingame customization (although an automatic system would be neat for this):

fallout4timelineuhuw6.jpg

Well... technically not even a year has past ingame, but if my character actually got to sleep more than one hour from time to time it would probably be several years :p

Favorite locations/quests that come to mind:

• Dunwich Borers (the second quarry): Like in the Dunwich building in F3, some occult shit was going on in there. Apparently the secret reason for he quarry is digging up some sleeping titan/statue (was also in the cellar in F3?), you can see its partial face here: http://abload.de/img/fallout4_201601160153udsnb.png You also get to see some prewar flashbacks. They really should give this Dunwich company a proper quest line in the next game/DLC.
  • Cabot quest line (more ancient alien tech/occult stuff!)
  • Wreck of the FMS Northern Star (beached freighter with ghoul raiders from Norway. I like to imagine they were alone out in the see after the war and only somewhat recently landed on the US coast).
  • The whole Glowing Sea region, being allowed to wander through a nuked area complete with crater is a good compromise for having a largely intact city/world in F4.
  • USS Constitution questline (flying ships weeee)
  • Overall I liked the Commonwealth as a location a lot. F3 was a bit more bleak (didn't like the Vegas setting at all) but F4 has a much more diverse setting.
  • Yangtze Submarine (although they should have gone more into the fact that it was this guy's nuke we see in the beginning of the game...)
  • Other obvious story related locations like Diamond City, Libertalia etc.
  • Vault 81 (the hidden&forgotten area that shows that they wanted to infect Vault people with diseases with monitoring stations behind walls. Only prevented by the original overseer who betrayed the other scientists and left them to die.)
  • Cambridge Polymer Labs (trying to get out)
  • Skylanes Flight 1981 Wreck (Giant airplane wreak with flight recorder)
  • Forest Grove Marsh (not much to do here but the flooded village reminded me a bit of some of the TLOU sections. Also the dam area, in general I enjoyed being able to dive etc. and explore what's hidden down there.

Looking up map locations in the internet makes me realize I still have to explore more. They could have done a better job sending you to some of the locations via quest/hinting at stuff. Some of the interesting locations above I only visited because there was a bobblehead...
Though I'm kinda annoyed that many sites are not even locations that are marked in your pipboy, sometimes it's whole buildings you might miss. There should be a map for those as well.

The next patch seems to improve dealing with your settlements, when it hits for PS4 I probably will go back and tidy things up. Spend quite some time with crafting&building but I wanted to unlock everything first and then go in big. Makes now also more sense story-wise :p

Replicant

The whole settlement happiness is completely FUCKED. FUCKED.

I know I already got the trophy but it really annoys me how the minute you add new people into a settlement, the happiness level will go down. I also hate that if you spend too long somewhere else, the happiness will also go down, like the settlers are some kind of pets who can't take care of themselves.

Top Bottom