• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 was a big disappointment

Nere

Okey first of all I want to make it clear that everything I say is my opinion and I don't have any grudge against bethesda and it is one of my favourite companies. If you notice my name is Nere comes from Nerevarine so don't tell me I just say all that because I hate Bethesda. Anyway on to the topic I think that Fallout 4 was a big disappointment in multiple fronts, lets take them all in order.

Dialogue system
The dialogue system was a fucking joke. Bethesda could take inspiration from Obsidian and Fallout New Vegas, which has one of the best dialogue systems in a loooong time (way better than the Witcher 3 one) but instead they prefered to take inspiration from Mass effect so they introduced the bioware wheel. BUT it isn't the same as in Mass effect but it is an even more simplified version of that. The dialogue system is extremely basic has 4 answers always which most of them are the same everytime (Yes, No, Sarcasm). Fallout used to be famous for its dialogue now it is just an empty shell of its former self a shame. The only stat that matters during dialogues now is charisma but you usually use it only to ask for more money.

Questing
The fucking Radiant quests are everywhere. Back during Oblivion I could swear Bethesda had the best designed quests in the industry, making the sky rain burning dogs, faking death, going into a painting and many others Oblivion has some of the best quests even to this day. In Skyrim the quality fell and Bethesda introduced Radiant quests which are essentially MMO type quests of go clear that area which are randomly generated, endless and boring. Even in Skyrim though there were more real side quests than Radiant quests, also you didn't even had to do them only in the fighter's guild so no harm done. I wouldn't consider Radiant quests a bad thing in Skyrim cause they weren't mandatory neither there were many of them. Here comes Fallout though the world is filled with those quests almost all the faction quests are Radiant quests to go clear an area with no real substance. The few side quests that are left have no real options anymore compare a quest from New Vegas with a Fallout 4 quest and you will see the difference.

Graphics
Okey contrary to most I don't think the graphics are that bad. Although I can't stop myself by noticing that there are slight improvements over past bethesda games. Compare the jump of graphics of dragon age 2 to inquisition compare the jump from Witcher 2 to 3 and the difference is huge. Another disappointment in the list.

The map
As big as Skyrim my ass. Thats what they said but the truth is it isn't even half of it probably. Sure the density is great but everything is just crammed into the middle in the city of Boston.

In conclusion I got really disappointed from Fallout 4, a game which I was looking forward like no other. I think Bethesda was too arrogant to use the improvements Obsidian made and discared all of them. While obsidian had made the perfect Fallout game. Skyrim was released at 2011 as was the Witcher 2. I want you to compare the jump in everything from the Witcher 2 to 3 and from Skyrim/Fallout 3 to Fallout 4. I mean wtf was Bethesda making for 4 years? Many of the models are even the same from Fallout 3 just updated. First time I have to say Bethesda was lazy when making a game of theirs at least on their previous games I could feel the love put into them here I can't. Anyway would like to hear everyone's opinions and remember all this is my opinion as stated in the start.

I agree. I was excited for the game, bought it day one, played it for 25 hours, and it turned out to be a soulless husk. Never went back.

danowat

Banned
I thought it was OK, nothing revolutionary, but what was there was watered down and the rest padded out with "current" things to appeal to a larger demographic (base building, loot, crafting etc)

It's still a solid game, but can totally understand how people would be disappointed with it.

petghost

Banned
im not far enough in to judge the game as a whole but the reason im not that far is because the beginning sequences and realization that they stripped out a lot of the rpg mechanics i loved about earlier games while also crippling the dialogue system was enough to make me think i ought to wait until this game has a bunch of whacky mods before i start again.

KZObsessed

Agree 100%. I enjoyed my time with it but it pales in comparison to FO3 and New Vegas. Side quests were the biggest disappointment. Barely anything memorable.

Abylim

I loved it, just got the plat today.

It was GOTY material until the end. Ending(s) fell flat imo. The dialogue is a step down, but I loved the game. Building settlements was fun, and I actually enjoyed the quests and story.

Seems like a lot on here share your view, so this will be a circlejerk shortly, but I loved my time with the game.

That and Phantom Pain, another game that seems to be hated here.

Sometimes I feel "wrong" =\

I've been playing The Witcher 3 quite a lot over the past few weeks and am absolutely in love with it. I bought Fallout 4 at launch but have to try it out. I'm honestly scared to. Yeah, I know they're very different games but The Witcher 3 has really raised the bar for open-world experiences in my view.

I was told by gaf it's the perfect game ?
spectre-what.gif

danowat

Banned

It was GOTY material until the end. Ending(s) fell flat imo. The dialogue is a step down, but I loved the game. Building settlements was fun, and I actually enjoyed the quests and story.

Seems like a lot on here share your view, so this will be a circlejerk shortly, but I loved my time with the game.

You should never feel "wrong" about your opinions, if you like something, like it.

FWIW, I ended up hating Phantom Pain, but that's another story.

Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game and it'll probably be my last. Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time, but Fallout just doesn't seem to be for me. It's funny, because the two share so many similarities, but once I stepped out of that vault, I just had trouble getting immersed in the world. That and it just looks ugly, aesthetically.

I realize that a post-apocalyptic world might realistically look ugly, but... that doesn't really help as an excuse.

Skyrim was released at 2011 as was the Witcher 2. I want you to compare the jump in everything from the Witcher 2 to 3 and from Skyrim/Fallout 3 to Fallout 4. I mean wtf was Bethesda making for 4 years?

That's actually an interesting analogy

danm999

You love Morrowind and New Vegas.

You hate the streamlined dialogue system.

You consider the side quests thinly constructed with few options other than kill everything.

Sounds like you, same as a lot of people, are disappointed at the dilution of role playing elements in Fallout 4.

Unfortunately, that's just the way the series is going. The roleplaying origins of the series are being abandoned in favour of creating a more action oriented, base building-esque hybrid game that may well appeal to wider audiences, but not necessarily you.

Maybe check out Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2 in that case, because I have a feeling going forward Bethesda games are increasingly going to make you feel this way.

You aren't wrong, you're just looking for something different out of the game than the OP.

Alienous

20 hours in, and the dialogue system is weird. I feel like nothing I say matters. A lot of the game feels like that. It's role-playing, but I don't feel like I get much of a say in the 'role' I play. And nothing feels earned, nor do relationships really feel developed. I'll say no to something and that has no impact, because the game will just bring me back to saying yes.

It's weird. I enjoy it greatly, but even having not played Fallout 3 or New Vegas I find myself expecting more.

enkaisu

Banned
The quests and dialogue were so bland, which sucks since those things are the meat and potatoes of a RPG. I was also frustrated with the fact there are only really two towns in the game, Diamond City and Goodneighbor. Everything else was just a place for you to build another boring settlement.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It was a good game, but a huge let down compared to Fallout 3. The dialog system is terrible because you never know what your character will say. Sometimes he just acts like a complete asshole, and you have no way of knowing before picking the option.

Ms.Galaxy

Fallout 4 is to Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3 as Skyrim is to Oblivion and Morrowind. A departure of what made those games good and heavy simplification to "appeal to a wider audience" in the Triple A, Mtn. Dewritos market. It's very disappointing and it leaves me with a sense of longing for something that should be there, but it's not. It's not a bad game, but it's an awful Fallout game.

The radiant quests really bug me, I like to try and complete things as I get them and not have a quest list that goes on forever, trying to complete the Minutemen side quests I had to time returning to Preston to complete the mission perfectly with running away as he talked so I heard just enough to complete the mission without hearing to much to activate the next quest which was a repeat of one I had already done.

The dialogue is also disappointing I'm not completely adverse to a talking protagonist and I loved the dialogue wheel in mass effect but this one seems like it's not fully committed to the voiced character or you having your own character and leaves it in a sort of limbo where you can't feel the character is fully yours and a lot of the options seem stripped away but the character isn't developed enough on its own to feel real in the world like shepherd did for example.

But I do love the world and exploring and maybe the map isn't as big but the density is crazy and I constantly feel overwhelmed with how much there is to explore.

I really like the game but lately I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to play it.

Nere

You love Morrowind and New Vegas.

You hate the streamlined dialogue system.

You consider the side quests thinly constructed with few options other than kill everything.

Sounds like you, same as a lot of people, are disappointed at the dilution of role playing elements in Fallout 4.

Unfortunately, that's just the way the series is going. The roleplaying origins of the series are being abandoned in favour of creating a more action oriented, base building-esque hybrid game that may well appeal to wider audiences, but not necessarily you.

Maybe check out Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2 in that case, because I have a feeling going forward Bethesda games are increasingly going to make you feel this way.

You aren't wrong, you're just looking for something different out of the game than the OP.

I never roleplay in rpgs and I love oblivion, fallout 3 and skyrim aswell its just that Morrowind and New Vegas are my favourite.I don't mind the more action approach like Skyrim but in Fallout 4 they just overdid it and removed many defining elements of the Fallout Franchise.

Memory

I disagree but we're all entitled to our opinions. I had a blast with it and I'm still playing post game. I think a lot of people over hyped Fall Out 4 and that's why so many are disappointed. Coupled with the fact that there are more open world rpgs out there now doing good things.

New Vegas is still the best of the three imo.

barit

Still have fun now that I've found out how overpowered Meele+Chems really are. But you're right with everything you've listed. Quests are a joke. It's always "go kill X" or "go loot Y" just with different background stories. For example the Brotherhood of Steel questchain is an absolutely chore. I don't mean the Paladin Danse quests but from the other two. I've probably finished now 10 quests for those both assholes and they still give me more of the same crap. Will this never end? Really bad show from Bethesda overall. And I'm not even talking about this ridiculous dialogue system that is so useless and dumb that I could always scream everytime someone is talking to me.

Abylim

You should never feel "wrong" about your opinions, if you like something, like it.

FWIW, I ended up hating Phantom Pain, but that's another story.

I should clarify; I'm not ashamed of my opinions, rather, I feel contrary to the main opinion now a days. Which isnt how it has been.

I love the way you point at oblivion as if it was some sort of good game. People felt exactly the same way about it when it was released.

So join the club bemoaning the dumbing down of franchises.

People who love fallout 4 will be right with you when fallout 5 is a dancing game.

Nere

Still have fun now that I found out how overpowered Meele+Chems really are. But you're right with everything you've listed. Quests are a joke. It's always "go kill X" or "go loot Y" just with different background stories. For example the Brothers of Steel questchain is an absolutely chore. I don't mean the Paladin Danse quests but from the other two. I've probably finished now 10 quests for those both assholes and they still give me more crap of the same. Will this never end? Really bad show from Bethesda overall. And I'm not even talking about this ridiculous dialogue system that is so useless and dumb that I could always scream everytime someone is talking to me.

I fell into their trap aswell thought it was like Skyrim do some radiant quests to unlock the next big quest but no to advance the Brotherhood of Steel questline you have to play the main quest.

I've been playing The Witcher 3 quite a lot over the past few weeks and am absolutely in love with it. I bought Fallout 4 at launch but have to try it out. I'm honestly scared to. Yeah, I know they're very different games but The Witcher 3 has really raised the bar for open-world experiences in my view.

Fallout 4 is good but lately as I've been playing it I've been thinking how I can't wait for the last witcher expansion so I can jump back into that world. For a game that is like 200 hours long I found it to be a much tighter focuses experience than fallout which i find a bit all over the place.

Abylim

Could be. I played and loved the same games he did. I just look for a good game.

As someone who played and loved every MGS, I still managed to love TPP.

Taste is crazy, I guess.

Seems like FO4 did alright sales wise, so we're getting another for sure. Just hope it makes some changes.

I want the next Elder Scrolls now!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game and it'll probably be my last. Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time, but Fallout just doesn't seem to be for me. It's funny, because the two share so many similarities, but once I stepped out of that vault, I just had trouble getting immersed in the world. That and it just looks ugly, aesthetically.

I realize that a post-apocalyptic world might realistically look ugly, but... that doesn't really help as an excuse.

I'm on the same page but realised it during Fallout 3. I see no reason to play Fallout 4. It isn't meant for me and I'll just spend hours complaining and analysing everything I think is bad game design. I don't want that. I want to enjoy myself. I'll just wait until the next Elder Scrolls.

SJRB

Gold Member
Its biggest crime for me is that it's so dreadfully boring.

It's extremely hard to give a fuck about anything or anyone. I don't care about this kid I've seen for 30 seconds in the intro, seriously. I don't care about the Minutemen, or the Brotherhood. In fact, I loathe how the game basically treats you as a messiah from the moment you step out of the vault.

Here is random douchebag # 124, fresh out of the vault for 30 seconds and already crowned king of the free people of the Commonwealth because, eh... why exactly?

Is this really the best you could do, Bethesda?

Nere

I love the way you point at oblivion as if it was some sort of good game. People felt exactly the same way about it when it was released.

So join the club bemoaning the dumbing down of franchises.

People who love fallout 4 will be right with you when fallout 5 is a dancing game.

But I like oblivion, sure it is dumbed down compared to Morrowind but still not as bad as Fallout 4. Plus I think oblivion has some of the best quests as well as the best expansion.

Abylim

Its biggest crime for me is that it's so dreadfully boring.

It's extremely hard to give a fuck about anything or anyone. I don't care about this kid I've seen for 30 seconds in the intro, seriously. I don't care about the Minutemen, or the Brotherhood. In fact, I loathe how the game basically treats you as a messiah from the moment you step out of the vault.

Here is random douchebag # 124, fresh out of the vault for 30 seconds and already crowned king of the free people of the Commonwealth because, eh... why exactly?

Is this really the best you could do, Bethesda?

I wasnt driven by the story, either. I was driven to explore, and to experience. I really enjoyed it, wasnt bored at all.

The radiant quests are the major issue with me, i don't mind clearing out the areas or building settlements but give it a limit.

I also don't like cleared buildings being repopulated, keep people in the street areas but once i've cleared a location keep it that way.

The quests shine with the companions, they are the best part of the game. I really like it but it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Coda

I dug my time with Fallout 4 and I still haven't beaten it but I feel pretty bored at this point from the core mechanics of the game. The go here and blast a bunch of stuff only works when the game remains to be compelling, it seemed to lack that inspiration half way through the game.

Vex_

Banned
That's actually an interesting analogy

Not exactly, imo.

First of all, there hasn't been a successor to skyrim (or tesv, if you will) yet. Until that happens? "Wait and see" status till then.

Secondly, I'm curious why the witcher series always gets brought up in these threads.

I just picture a bunch of people with a "witcher 3" button on their keyboards waiting for a beth thread to post a reply.

I am guessing because they are both open world rpgs? They don't have anything in common. Like, at all?

Abylim

The radiant quests are the major issue with me, i don't mind clearing out the areas or building settlements but give it a limit.

I also don't like cleared buildings being repopulated, keep people in the street areas but once i've cleared a location keep it that way.

The quests shine with the companions, they are the best part of the game. I really like it but it isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

I dont get the radiant quest complaints. Dont do them.

I did a fair few because I wanted to loot and level. I stopped when I no longer wanted to do them anymore.

I'm curious why the witcher series always gets brought up in these threads.

I just picture a bunch of people with a "witcher 3" button on their keyboards waiting for a beth thread to post a reply.

I am guessing because they are both open world rpgs? They don't have anything in common. Like, at all?

Except being open world rpgs... As you mentioned

Top Bottom