• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 will receive a free next-gen update in 2023 for XSX/S, PS5 and PC

SGRU

200.gif

Best gaming news in months!

Filben

I hope for complete DualSense support (means adaptive triggers), also for PC! It's genuinely a feature that makes it difficult for me to decide whether to get a game for PS5 or PC (when PC don't have said support).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd settle for a patch on the PC that lets the player skip mission sequences. There are so many segments in this games story missions that are so dull, long, and boring (like walking back through that early antagonist's memories). I suffered through that boredom once, no way I could do it again.

AJBungah

Neo Member
Good thing I didn't just play 80+ hours on a playthrough on PS5 over the last few months ..........................

abcdrstuv

Banned
I guess… people will just always complain about something! Lol. No matter what
I was mostly complaining that MS doesn’t invest in Shadow of the Colossus style bottom up remakes - 3, 4 and New Vegas with even a halfway effort like the Mass Effect trilogy got would be a dream

I was mostly complaining that MS doesn’t invest in Shadow of the Colossus style bottom up remakes - 3, 4 and New Vegas with even a halfway effort like the Mass Effect trilogy got would be a dream
That would ultimately be up to Bethesda and they are well known for their lack of interest in remaking older games. In their view if takes resources away from just making new games and they’d rather make new ones. And they’re such a golden goose that even though Msoft owns them now, Xbox will probably let them call the shots when it comes to remakes, even if Xbox wants them to be made as much as we do.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Crazy how the fallout games get next to no attention, compared to Skyrim. Would think the post apocalyptic setting would appeal to more people than the medieval setting. Guess not.

MrKainobi

Neo Member
That would ultimately be up to Bethesda and they are well known for their lack of interest in remaking older games. In their view if takes resources away from just making new games and they’d rather make new ones. And they’re such a golden goose that even though Msoft owns them now, Xbox will probably let them call the shots when it comes to remakes, even if Xbox wants them to be made as much as we do.
True but with MS owning them there’s a chance it’s handled by a different developer. Remakes are fine to be outsourced from what we’ve seen so far.

Rykan

Modes?!
What modes. How will this not be 4k60.
I love how even 2 years into this generation, people are still overestimating the capabilities of their 400~500$ machines.

2070 is doing EZ 60fps so that's surprising. Consoles could do 4k60.
Or even if not, why give the fucking modes. Make it dynamic 4k 60 or something like that. Surely it shouldn't have to drop lower than 1800p. This is already lazy
And there it is. Guy with zero experience or knowledge about game development calling game developers "Lazy" for releasing a free update. You love to see it.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Crazy how the fallout games get next to no attention, compared to Skyrim. Would think the post apocalyptic setting would appeal to more people than the medieval setting. Guess not.
For me personally fallout 4 was kind of a letdown. So it kind of hurt my interest. Maybe 76 did more damage as well.

In anticipation of Starfield, I've been playing almost nothing but Bethesda RPGs and Cyberpunk 2077 since the new consoles launched. I've played other things, true, but there has been nothing I've played more than Cyberpunk 2077, Skyrim Special Edition, and Fallout 4.

I'm really curious to see what the "next-gen patch" means for PC. What does that even mean? If they were to add ray tracing support or something, surely they would mention it?

About damn time. I recently wanted to play it on PS5 after not playing it for a few years, and I immediately turned it off when I saw that it's running in 30 FPS. There are just some games that do not feel comfortable to play in 30 FPS and Fallout 4 is one of those games.
Lol, didn't you just say you were fed up with remakes and remasters? 🤣

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love how even 2 years into this generation, people are still overestimating the capabilities of their 400~500$ machines.

And there it is. Guy with zero experience or knowledge about game development calling game developers "Lazy" for releasing a free update. You love to see it.
It’s not rocket science. We know power of these consoles. Don’t need to be a developer to have an opinion. I hate when people say that. It’s so stupid. I have almost 30 years of gaming experience on different devices and like 10 computers… that’s not nothing.

It’s around 2080 level and cpu and bit lower spec than 3700x. Wow such hard knowledge required. Of course they could also optimise to the capabilities of the hardware. Not drop a game on it like if it was 2070-2080 pc….

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Pretty good to see Microsoft offering this to all their customers, irrespective of platform. Personally, played a bit of FO4 with fps boost on and I'm not so bothered about a resolution patch, some games look better for it, but others it doesn't really matter, the visuals are kinda basic anyway - having them bumped up looks about the same.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’d rather they use lower or dynamic resolution anyway. Just focus on picture quality. Not some arbitrary resolution.
Exactly. I think the worst I’ve seen of modes was 4k30 mode and dynamic 4k60 mode… and it was making the 4k30 mode redundant since the other one was going high ceiling. Of course users wouldn’t know the only difference it’s 16% resolution change but other “fidelity” features. Such crap these modes

Rykan

It’s not rocket science. We know power of these consoles. Don’t need to be a developer to have an opinion. I hate when people say that. It’s so stupid. I have almost 30 years of gaming experience on different devices and like 10 computers… that’s not nothing.

It’s around 2080 level and cpu and bit lower spec than 3700x. Wow such hard knowledge required. Of course they could also optimise to the capabilities of the hardware. Not drop a game on it like if it was 2070-2080 pc….
"I hate it when people use the fact that I have never spend a day working in game development against me while I criticize actual game developers and call their efforts "Lazy", because they do not meet the imaginary standards that I have set for consoles."

Your "30 years of gaming experience" mean nothing. You have no experience in game development, and I know this because if you had worked in Game development, you'd have known that the term "lazy" is the single most inappropriate way to label video game developers. You have no idea how games are actually made or developed. You repeat vague phrases that you have heard on other places of the internet such as "it's around 2080 level" without having any clue what that actually means. Even if we continue this conversation in laymens terms, an RTX 2080TI does not run Fallout 4k/60FPS with no framedrops. You're completely underestimating how much effort it would take to get Fallout 4 running at 4k/60 FPS on consoles ,if it's even possible without severe compromise. Hmm, I wonder where that misunderstanding is coming from?

Last edited:

shubik

"I hate it when people use the fact that I have never spend a day working in game development against me while I criticize actual game developers and call their efforts "Lazy", because they do not meet the imaginary standards that I have set for consoles."

Your "30 years of gaming experience" mean nothing. You have no experience in game development, and I know this because if you had worked in Game development, you'd have known that the term "lazy" is the single most inappropriate way to label video game developers. You have no idea how games are actually made or developed. You repeat vague phrases that you have heard on other places of the internet such as "it's around 2080 level" without having any clue what that actually means. Even if we continue this conversation in laymens terms, an RTX 2080TI does not run Fallout 4k/60FPS with no framedrops. You're completely underestimating how much effort it would take to get Fallout 4 running at 4k/60 FPS on consoles ,if it's even possible without severe compromise. Hmm, I wonder where that misunderstanding is coming from?

Yeah have to agree with you. That’s like saying:“I know how marketing works. I have watched commercials for 30 years“

Top Bottom