• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76: Wastelanders trailer and release date

VertigoOA

Banned
And it’s mostly a relaunch. Very much possible this can be a FF14 situation ... or ESO. We shall see but I am interested to see how they slap a narrative into it.

The world state change is interesting, as they’ll rework the map, adding more dungeons and activities, factions, player choice, AI companions, instanced towns, etc... I imagine the vanilla “campaign” just became even more irrelevant and just screwed over trophy And achievement chasers. I read they even REMOVED the vault 94 raid. Never tried it but it looked shit.

I can’t imagine it won’t launch broken tho. Even with each QoL update something else implodes or some new massive hack for the pc crowd.

The teaser trailer is a bit underwhelming honestly. Like that new monster looks cool but amount of monsters in the game was its strongest part to begin with. Well, the map too is pretty interesting to explore, but it was mostly filled with nothing and they really need to work on player movement Because it still feels as wonky as Bethesda game does, even if it’s a bit more polished at this point.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why character models in Fallout games are so damn ugly!?
jKwZ7iy.jpg

I'm not even talking about why the character is not "sexy", you can make detail and nicely models of of "ugly" character but in most Fallout games or even most Bethesda games it just looks like poorly made character models.

If someone were to jump into the game for the first time now, just paying for the base game, how much of a disadvantage are they at versus players who are Fallout First subscribers?

VertigoOA

Banned
jKwZ7iy.jpg

I'm not even talking about why the character is not "sexy", you can make detail and nicely models of of "ugly" character but in most Fallout games or even most Bethesda games it just looks like poorly made character models.

Because the engine is ancient. A mixed bag at best. It looks nice in rare instances when the lighting and effects line up nicely... but there’s a huge discrepancy with the quality of textures, etc... so it mostly looks last gen IMO. All their games look like shit IMO.

VertigoOA

Banned
If someone were to jump into the game for the first time now, just paying for the base game, how much of a disadvantage are they at versus players who are Fallout First subscribers?

I don’t know what Fallout 1st really does. It mostly just seems like some exclusive Vanity items and a flow of the games in-game currency but I believe you get increased vault space or something. There doesn’t seem to be actual weapons and armor tied to it. Not yet at least.

Edit: I forgot about that it also has “private servers.” Which can be viewed as a gameplay enhancement to an extent as Most performance Issues seem to be due to the amount of players, their items, their house, etc... all loaded onto the servers and able to interacted with by everyone. But that’s the most ambitious part of the game IMO. Always thought that was pretty daring even for modern tech and one of the reasons why I expect Wastelanders to be broken at launch regardless. Altho the closed beta testing has been going on for about a month now.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's the engine, which should have been sent to a farm upstate years ago. As a visual analogy we've come from
...but there's only so much lipstick can do.
Because the engine is ancient. A mixed bag at best. It looks nice in rare instances when the lighting and effects line up nicely... but there’s a huge discrepancy with the quality of textures, etc... so it mostly looks last gen IMO. All their games look like shit IMO.
Can you always blame the engine?

dead-rising-20060721112034253.jpg

This Dead Rising is early 360 game, has better made character models than Fallout games...how?

VertigoOA

Banned

This Dead Rising is early 360 game, has better made character models than Fallout games...how?

Umm I think the Bethesda engine goes all the way back to before then as well. Even their modern engine, if somewhat of a rework goes back to Gamebryo during the Morrriwind days and the original Xbox.

It’s ancient... and they’re building Star field with it... and rumor has it can’t handle space travel and the scope of the game. So... take that for what you will.

Last edited:

nowhat

The engine Bethesda currently uses saw its first release (before it was called Gamebryo even) in 1997. Sure, it has been updated a lot since, but as stated, only so much lipstick will help.

(and also boobs)

GymWolf

jKwZ7iy.jpg

Old ass engine, probably shitty art director for characters.

GymWolf

It's the engine, which should have been sent to a farm upstate years ago. As a visual analogy we've come from

vector-illustration-cartoon-pig-pixel-260nw-387936784.jpg

to

putting-lipstick-on-a-pig-leah-saulnier-the-painting-maniac.jpg

Are you purposely forgetting piggy from the new colossus?
9BF9nwYlJO23zKLjRD0bZw.jpeg

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm not sure what to think. The game is garbage.

At the same time, there are people who love it.

If you're a hater, please do not buy this.

If you're a lover. You do you.

I was tempted for a moment. I enjoyed Fallout 4, even if it wasn’t as good as Fallout 3 or New Vegas. More of Fallout 4, would be fine. Then I remembered all of the gameplay changes to Fallout 76 and got angry again. The game is garbage, and until they make an offline, moddable version, it’s always going to be garbage.

Fallout used to be smart and silly and dark as fuck, now it’s dumb and serious and stupidly earnest. It has no gallows humour. Bethesda has totally fucked the tone of the series. Fallout 3 was significantly interesting in the transplant to 3D to get past the earnest dad storyline, and had enough good non-earnest moments to balance it out.

Fallout 4 went hard into earnest dad territory and was a travesty. The protagonist was a dick. The only half decent quest was The Silver Shroud and the god awful Kid in a Fridge took any goodwill that quest gave and shafted it. Truly a nadir of video game writing. I hate completed that game, uninstalled it hard and may have even hiddenit in my Steam Library.

I dunno, I've found a reason to enjoy every Fallout game I've played. My buddy and I spent a lot of time in 76. There's something really fun about being a super speed demon mutant jumping freak in a huge wasteland that can be fun. We got bored after a few hundred hours as content delivery was pretty terrible, but having jumped back in after being away for 9 mos. Or so has been fun. Looking forward to the Wastelanders update. I don't have high expectations, but seeing as it's a free update, no harm in checking it out.

Brilliant move, your game is struggling so put it up against Resident Evil 3 Remake, Final Fantasy VII Remake and Persona 5 The Royal. I was looking forward to giving Fallout another shot, but not over those games.

Gargus

Banned

vector-illustration-cartoon-pig-pixel-260nw-387936784.jpg

to

putting-lipstick-on-a-pig-leah-saulnier-the-painting-maniac.jpg

Bethesda's has always had the shittiest possible engines for their games.

And I think they use the same concept artist and model designer they have been using since morrowind because the shit has never really improved.

niilokin

Been playing Skyrim again...fuck I wish it had similar respawning instead of waiting 720 game hours and alot of locations never respawn.

VertigoOA

Banned
New trailer was ... okay. Nice music choice. Hopefully pipboy gets updated with new tunes (I actually loved this games’ soundtrack).

Trailer didn’t do nothing or me but I’m looking forward to playing it anyway quite a bit. And somehow... I feel like the game doesn’t look that shit as it does in this trailer. It looks like poop, don’t get me wrong but that trailer made it look... worse.

I think this is a huge gamble and excited to see what comes from it regardless. Just slapping a narrative and characters all over the world, and rebuilding many parts of the game for it... in a persistent open world online game? Could be a disaster and not actually friggin work ... could be kinda innovative too if it does and the content is good.

Jetpack armor in the trailer (not power armor) was very boba fett-esque.

Top Bottom