• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout is free on GOG (until April 7th)

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Downloading again...

Read this post newcomers!

MOD INFO A-M [Go to N-Z]:

Here you'll find info and links to help point you in the right place for a game's mods. If you need some help troubleshooting, try checking the GOG forums or support section. Unless indicated, always start a new game once before installing mods! Mods often need files to be generated from starting a new game to work properly. Also never install games to the program files directory, often mods won't work right because of Window's permissions getting in the way.

Fallout
Mod Guide (<- Use this for info) - Highlights: Semi-official patch v1.2.1 (includes children patch), Unofficial patch v1.3.5, High-Resolution Patch v3.0.5, NPC Mod
Fallout FIXT - Compilation of most popular fixes/mods in one simple package
Troubleshooting:
- Color problems? CHANGE the line "COLOUR_BITS = 8" to "COLOUR_BITS = 16" in f1_res.ini.
- Crashing? Try deleting/renaming the ddraw.dll file and setting your resolution and colour in the ini file
- Make sure in the compatibility tab, the 256-color mode option is not checked off.
- Windowed mode? Try D3DWindower. Be sure to use 8-bit color in f1res.ini. General setup help.

Scythian

I bought it some time ago, but it hasn't clicked with me, probably because I didn't know what I was doing and got me killed frequently.

Minsc

Gold Member
If you've never played Fallout, definitely don't miss your chance to play this timeless classic for free! And don't forget to pick the bloody mess trait (though that goes without saying).

Would it be piracy if I grabbed it off a torrent?

Of course, they don't have permission to distribute the game. Just wait until tonight or tomorrow if you're having that much trouble connecting, it's not unusual for high traffic immediately following an announcement.

why would you want to do this? the pirated version might have problems with newer OS.

I imagine he meant grabbing a pirated version of GOG's copy, but that's just so wrong... you wouldn't be able to sleep at night after that. Plus they can use the hits to get us more games in the future!

90sRobots

Ooh man. So is this an interesting curio or a game that holds up? Never played Fallout 1 and 2 and am genuinely curious if this game is playable in 2012.

EDIT: Minsc be readin my mind

Zeliard

Legally, probably. Morally? Nope.

I might wait to see how cheap the collection is on Steam in the next sale cos I want both. Will it be free forever?

Well, they're not releasing it for free just cause they're nice guys. They seem to be entirely cool fellas - not to mention highly pro-consumer in an industry where that's becoming increasingly rare - but they also do this sort of thing to get more GOG memberships.

Jb

GOG is down i repeat GOG is down.

Send a rescue team. No GOG gets left behind.

15799-25650.gif

It can't be said enough how good this game is. Also, check out the Fallout forums on GOG for links to a high res mod and such.

wow, maybe people will realize this is actually what fallout is supposed to be.

"where are my glitches? Dogmeat isn't worthless? wheres the lock ups and physics bugs? I want my fallout 3!!"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sweet, added Fallout to my account. How convenient!

Owensboro

Hah! Well that's hilarious. I just logged back into my GoG account that I hadn't used in a while to claim Fallout and it turns out I had 3 games in my cart: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics. Then I remember that last time I was on the site I almost pulled the trigger but decided to see if I could actually find the old Discs I have for those games somewhere... almost a year later and no dice. Guess I'll play some Fallout again and decide if I want to buy 2 and Tactics afterwords!

I hate losing game discs.

wow, maybe people will realize this is actually what fallout is supposed to be.

"where are my glitches? Dogmeat isn't worthless? wheres the lock ups and physics bugs? I want my fallout 3!!"

There is definitely no lack of glitches in Fallout 1 and 2. They both have their fair share of them.

While I consider Fallout 1 and 2 to be better games than 3, I still enjoyed 3 a lot.

There is definitely no lack of glitches in Fallout 1 and 2. They both have their fair share of them.

While I consider Fallout 1 and 2 to be better games than 3, I still enjoyed 3 a lot.

that's true, but it wasn't on the level these bethesda games are nowadays.

fallout 3 didn't have 1/10th the personality or humor that the originals had. it just felt like an ok cover band game.

Top Bottom