• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

falloutnewvegas.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Release Date: OUT NOW!!
Rating: Mature, PEGI 18
Players: 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That old saying - how you don't shoot the messenger - well, it's kind of a funny story...

-- INTRODUCTION --

Fallout New Vegas is the fourth (albeit non-numeric) canonical entry in the Fallout saga that began over ten years ago. It has been developed by a little company called Obsidian Entertainment. You may have heard of these guys. They're responsible for games like Knights of the Old Republic II and Neverwinter Nights 2, along with its expansions. Simply put, BioWare has twice put their faith in Obsidian to take their properties and turn them into something more. And if you've played either of those titles, you'll see the difference.

Now, in 2010, Bethesda becomes the next company to entrust a sequel to Obsidian, with New Vegas.

-- VEGAS VACATION, AND A BRIEF HISTORY LESSON --

Fallout New Vegas takes us back west, to the sands of Nevada. The year is 2281; three years after Fallout 3, and two-hundred-and-four years after the Great War of 2077 destroyed nearly every living organism on Earth. Vault-Tec, with the permission of the United States Government, constructed a number of Vaults to house select citizens in the event of nuclear catastrophe. There are tales of several of these “Vault Dwellers” having made it to the world outside, and the incredible journeys they had. But those are for another time.

You are a courier. A dead one. You were shot in the head by a gang of three men and left in a shallow grave. But if the story ended there we wouldn't have a narrative now, would we? Fortune favors the bold, and thanks to the help of a few strangers, you are given a second lease on life. You regain consciousness several days later...

-- AND THEN... --

Will you track down the sons-of-bitches that shot you in the desert? Will you opt to control Vegas on a power trip? Will you stalk from the shadows and steal to get by? Will you become a great Scientist with a knack for explosives? Will you ally yourself with the New California Republic or Ceasar's Legion? Will you aid those in need and solve the troubles in the Wasteland? Or will you perhaps just take your rifle and and a few Squirrel Bits and go explore the abandoned-looking houses way over on those hills?

With New Vegas, you can do that, or anything else your imagination cooks up!

-- FEATURES... the cliff's notes version! --

New Vegas is host to a lot of new features...

Hardcore Mode - changes things up when it comes to survival in the Nevada Wasteland. For the first time, your character will be required to eat, sleep, and use more than a little proactivity when it comes to actual survival. Chris Avellone stated in an interview earlier this year that one of the playtesters for New Vegas died within twenty minutes or so of Hardcore mode. Here's what you can expect:

- The character must eat to maintain strength.
- The character must sleep to keep at full alertness.
- The character must drink water to keep hydrated.
- Ammunition has weight.
- Stimpacks DO NOT restore health instantly, nor can they heal crippled limbs.
- A Doctor or a specific item is required to heal said appendages.
- Enemies have increased health and, at times, aggression.

And more!

Other changes include, but are not limited to:

-Iron sights in First-Person Mode
-Better Follower AI; More options to manage their behavior
-Special VATS attacks; unique to certain weapons
-Customizable weapon parts
-Unique narrative paths; side quests galore... depending on how you play.
-a Reputation; uphold (or destroy!) your alliances with people, towns, and factions.
-GAMBLING!
-PROSTITUTES!
-CROOKED DEALS!

-- IN CLOSING... --

Fallout New Vegas is a difficult game to cram into an official thread opener. The main reason being that, no matter what I type here, your experience is going to differ vastly from probably every other player's. The goal of the game, as always, is to forge your own path. See what you like, and what you don't. Do some actual role-playing. Play any character you want and go out there and EXPLORE!

War. War never changes.

KTallguy

Banned
I found Fallout 3 fun in the beginning but ultimately it got boring.
Will New Vegas have any profound shifts in the game's pacing?

Ploid 3.0

Nice OP, very clean. I'm getting the GOTY version for sure. Too bad it can't launch as a GOTY version.

Edit: I like Fallout 3, it was one of the best rpgs I played this gen. I guess it's a fight between Dragon Age Orgins (PS3) and Fallout 3 for top rpg.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
HK-47 said:
I cant wait to get mauled by wandering Deathclaws.

I'ma hunt so many golden geckos. Make me a Golden Gecko raincoat. Blingin' in the Wastelands.

KTallguy said:
Will New Vegas have any profound shifts in the game's pacing?

Remains to be seen

Didn't know this was out so soon. Sadly my inner graphics whore is putting me off the game for the moment, will probably pick it up whenever it shows up in some sort of sale later.

Llyranor

For the record, Sawyer didn't have anything to do with the founding of Obsidian. I think he stayed away from game development for a while (after having 2 big titles canned from under him, geez), then went on to help Midway with Gauntlet Seven Sorrows (apparently the released version didn't retain much of the stuff he wanted in and ended up being a mediocre game). He only joined Obs fairly late during NWN2 development.

dwebo

I'd normally have waited for reviews, but since I've got gamefly for the month, I threw caution to the wind and put it in my queue! Hopefully the PS3 version isn't as buggy as Fallout 3 was apparently (I played the first on PC).

Why is there a Sega/Nintendo pun in the Fallout thread title, I dont get it??

And as much as I want to play New Vegas, I don't have the time right meow. :(

Empty

an op that sacrifices irritating flashy visuals to focus on interesting and illuminating written content informing me about the game. bravo.

The title was a spur of the moment idea. If anyone has a better idea, I encourage you to post it and I can get somebody to change it asap.

tokkun

Empty said:
an op that sacrifices irritating flashy visuals to focus on interesting and illuminating written content informing me about the game. bravo.

An OP that spends a ton of time talking about Obsidian's history and why this is the "real" Fallout 3, then claims its not worth discussing the features of the game itself in depth.

Chiggs

Any word on the PS3 version in terms of ironing out the performances issues that plagued Fallout 3?

tokkun said:
An OP that spends a ton of time talking about Obsidian's history and why this is the "real" Fallout 3, then claims its not worth discussing the features of the game itself in depth.

A valid criticism. I was rushed, due to moving between two cities this past week. I will do a better job of fine-tuning the OP over the coming week.

Apologies to those who are disappointed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
tokkun said:

I know. Aint it grand?

hamchan

HK-47 said:

You for real?

I am.

I highly enjoy Obsidian's games but they've always been messed up in some way. So I'm just hoping this one isn't.

Or maybe your post is saying I shouldn't bother hoping?

Trent Strong said:
Will the textures be better than Fallout 3's?
On 360 at least, nope. They've added some visual sanity type effects to the player's view like you get in King Kong, L4D, Amnesia.. the palette has changed, to some extent.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK that title made me pop in this thread

Good Times

Quick ?'s

Is this completely new stuff or is it more Fallout 3.5 with new location and new enemies

Can we carry over Fallout 3 saves...that would be awesome?

Top Bottom