• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
And nothing could be more wrong.
No kidding. MotB is also at an 82 on Metacritic and its way beyond NWN2 in practically every way.
Yeah, it is pretty burdensome having to develop sequels to games, often years after the original. You can outclass a predecessor in nearly every way, but the "freshness" of the concept is usually gone and sometimes the zeitgeist's opinion on genres can change.
Actually they arent responsible for 1. I dont think any of the major people from the Fallout 1 are at Obsidian. The BIS that worked on F1 was different from the one that worked on F2/PS:T/IWD1&2.
Dually noted. Though there are some people from the original Fallout team at Obsidian: Feargus Urquhart (who was Division Director), Chris Benson (who did "mac assistance," yeah, probably not major), Chris Jones (Lead Programmer), Scott Everts (Technical Designer) and probably a few others (click through any name and see if they worked on Alpha Protocol, too). I'll agree that the people responsible for the original idea behind Fallout are not at Obsidian, though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
MrBelmontvedere said:
hopefully you're right!
We wont know until we've all played it but dialogue gameplay is Obsidians forte. Fallout 3 had 40,000 lines of dialogue. New Vegas has over 60,000.

PaNaMa

Banned
duckroll said:
Sorry, please don't post links to livestreams of pirated games and stuff. It's quite obvious here.

Totally agreed, however keep in mind it's Friday afternoon and most stores have the game now. A store across teh street from where I work is expecting their copies within next next hour or two, and they've been known to be pretty liberal when it comes to observing street dates.

In other words: No doubt, legit copies have been sold by mom and pop shops by now.
Not every feed is of illegal pirate footage, yaaaaaaaaarrr matey!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shinjitsu said:
The fuck is with all the Obsidian trolling shitting up every New Vegas thread? I think half these people shit talking them haven't bothered actually playing Obsidians games.
The guy who trolled Obsidian in the last New Vegas thread admitted to not having played any of their games and got banned for it.

Stallion Free said:
The guy who trolled Obsidian in the last New Vegas thread admitted to not having played any of their games and got banned for it.
Yeah, but hearsay from Amazon user reviews is pretty much equivalent to actually playing a game.

morningbus

Steve Youngblood said:
Yeah, but hearsay from Amazon user reviews is pretty much equivalent to actually playing a game.

Very true; to wit:

Shaq can do it all said:
Shaq is truly God's gift to the world. He can sing, he can act, he can toss free throws. Let's face it, the man can do it all.

Kazaam is a movie unlike any other. Now some would say that Shaq's acting is so wooden he could play Pinnochio, but I argue with that. Shaq was playing a genie, a magical, rapping, abracadabra, hocus-pocus genie. The hippest, illest, defest, genie you ever laid eyes on. It is not for us to rate this film, it is for us to thank Shaq for taking the time to make this movie.

Now some would say that he can't even act his way through a 30 second commercial for Nestle Crunch or Burger King. I argue the point again. Shaq has the intelligence and mastery of the English language that we mortals can only hope to achieve. He is the reigning king of entertainment.

Others will also say that the man is slightly retarded and that if not for his great height, he would be lucky to ride the back of a garbage truck in Chicago as a sanitation engineer. I say those people have a real attitude problem.

Shaq can do it all. I am looking forward to his opera album, his cooking show, his line of BVD briefs, and last but certainly not least, I am looking forward to Shaq teaming up with Ice-T. Shaq will take over lead guitar duties for the reformed Body Count. Of course I hope his Broadway run doesn't interfere with the world tour.

Rock on Shaq, it's your world. We only breathe your air.

ElyrionX

My point was that Obsidian creates inferior sequels/spinoffs. How hard is it to create a good KOTOR when Bioware has already laid down the groundwork for a successful game for them? Same goes for Icewind Dale and to a lesser extent Torment.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ElyrionX said:
My point was that Obsidian creates inferior sequels/spinoffs. How hard is it to create a good KOTOR when Bioware has already laid down the groundwork for a successful game for them? Same goes for Icewind Dale and to a lesser extent Torment.
A lot of people (including myself) would argue that despite the flaws in KotOR 2, it is the superior game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stallion Free said:
A lot of people (including myself) would argue that despite the flaws in KotOR 2, it is the superior game.

Yup, that's my feeling on the two as well.

ElyrionX said:
How hard is it to create a good KOTOR when Bioware has already laid down the groundwork for a successful game for them?
Not so difficult that they didn't create a better game despite a rushed timeframe. Problems aside -- and admittedly, there were plenty of them -- many people here found the second to be the superior title.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ElyrionX said:
i dont understand what you mean by that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ElyrionX said:

Huh?

Shinjitsu

Banned
ElyrionX said:

Inferior in your opinion maybe.
your opinion is wrong

ElyrionX

I'd disagree on KOTOR2 but that's ok.

I'm also really sick of checking wikia constantly while playing a game just to avoid bugs which is what I did for FO3 and Dragon Age. Obsidian really doesn't inspire confidence in this area.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EviLore said:
Carth vs Kreia
Better comparison is Carth vs Atton or T3 vs T3. HK is a matter of taste. Jolee is the best character in KotOR and lesser party members match or beat him in 2. Kreia is so far above everyone in KotOR 1 its not worth the comparison.

Shinjitsu

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I'd disagree on KOTOR2 but that's ok.

I'm also really sick of checking wikia constantly while playing a game just to avoid bugs which is what I did for FO3 and Dragon Age. Obsidian really doesn't inspire confidence in this area.

So now Obsidian is responsible for Fallout 3 and Dragon Age bugs. I get it now.

Minsc said:
I guess he's referring to the origins of some of the people at Obsidian? Why are we bringing Dragon Age in to this now?
I think he's referring to bugs existing in many modern day, large western RPGs and inferring that if Bethesda and BioWare couldn't make a bug-free experience, then he's expecting something even worse from Obsidian. That's my assumption, at least.

GreekWolf

Just watched about 20 minutes live stream (guy claims it's a legit 360 copy).

Quick impressions -

Textures are much improved over Fallout 3. Quite surprising to me, considering that most the media/pics we've seen of New Vegas have looked graphically inferior to the original.

LoD seems a notch better. Actually saw a canyon in the far distance with decent textures.

Voice-acting is light-years ahead of FO3. The few NPCs he came across in the wilderness all had radically different personalities.

I can already tell the soundtrack will be memorable. Marty Robbins (Big Iron on his Hip) crooning in the background while gunning down rabid coyotes, makes this a must-buy.

Overall, I've seen enough to conclude that this will be every bit as enjoyable an experience for me as the original. Probably more so.

ElyrionX

Steve Youngblood said:
I think he's referring to bugs existing in many modern day, large western RPGs and inferring that if Bethesda and BioWare couldn't make a bug-free experience, then he's expecting something even worse from Obsidian. That's my assumption, at least.

Pretty much. I thought that much was clear from what i said.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Obsidian makes inferior sequels to Bioware products, like Torment and Icewind Dale! Dragon Age is so buggy ugh, this doesn't bode well for New Vegas! I need scissors! 61!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Shinjitsu said:
So now Obsidian is responsible for Fallout 3 and Dragon Age bugs. I get it now.
Obsidian has a history of bugs dating back to the mid-90's with the buggiest game ever, Daggerfall.

duckroll

water_wendi said:
Obsidian has a history of bugs dating back to the mid-90's with the buggiest game ever, Daggerfall.

Yeah that shit was awful. You know what was the worst though? When they made that Baldur's Gate spinoff Jade Empire. That crap was so bad!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But why bring up Icewind and Torment? Those game are about as buggy as any other game during the period and have massive fan patches to make them run fine with some tweaking due to "old game made for old OS and graphic card" syndrome

Geoff9920

GreekWolf said:

Quick impressions -

Textures are much improved over Fallout 3. Quite surprising to me, considering that most the media/pics we've seen of New Vegas have looked graphically inferior to the original.

LoD seems a notch better. Actually saw a canyon in the far distance with decent textures.

Voice-acting is light-years ahead of FO3. The few NPCs he came across in the wilderness all had radically different personalities.

I can already tell the soundtrack will be memorable. Marty Robbins (Big Iron on his Hip) crooning in the background while gunning down rabid coyotes, makes this a must-buy.

Overall, I've seen enough to conclude that this will be every bit as enjoyable an experience for me as the original. Probably more so.
Just curious, but how can you tell this over a live stream? Good news though. It'd be nice if the PC version had better textures over FO3.

epmode

HK-47 said:
But why bring up Icewind and Torment? Those game are about as buggy as any other game during the period and have massive fan patches to make them run fine with some tweaking due to "old game made for old OS and graphic card" syndrome
Hm, Torment was fine for me at launch. I finished it very quickly and I don't remember any serious bugs. It wasn't until years later that I ran into the annoying DirectDraw problems.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stallion Free said:
The voice acting in Alpha Protocol was one of my favorite aspects of the game. Good to hear that the trend continues.

I'd kill for Bloodlines facial animation on Obsidian games. I'd do horrible things.

ElyrionX

duckroll said:
Yeah that shit was awful. You know what was the worst though? When they made that Baldur's Gate spinoff Jade Empire. That crap was so bad!

You're shitting me? They made Jade Empire? Oh shit! I loved that game! Obsidian redeemed confirmed!

morningbus

When I hear of Obsidian, I think of the darkest black imaginable, so enveloping in its darkness it is like being dragged down into the darkest depths of the ocean to drown in the shadow of shadows.

That's why I'm voting against Fallout: New Vegas.

For America.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
morningbus said:
When I hear of Obsidian, I think of the darkest black imaginable, so enveloping in its darkness it is like being dragged down into the darkest depths of the ocean to drown in the shadow of shadows.

That's why I'm voting against Fallout: New Vegas.

For America.

emot-patriot.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, now that Obsidian are done with Fallout, can Sierra please give them the Arcanum IP?

Thanks.

I hate this time of year, to many awesome games and not enough time. I need this game in my life right now!

Hardcore sounds so awesome, I cant wait.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GreekWolf said:

First stream appears a couple hours after the pirate 360 version hits the internet. Right.

Zeliard

GreekWolf said:

Quick impressions -

What this game will be held back by are basically the FO3 trappings - namely, the hideous character models and general animation from the creaky Gamebryo engine, as well as the insistence on shooty first-person combat. But Obsidian are generally much better actual writers and game designers than Bethesda, so we should be in for a much better experience regardless of the inherent weaknesses in making a direct Fallout 3 sequel.

Top Bottom