Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

D2M15 said:
Pre-order canceled.
duckroll said:
Shit. I think I'm not buying this after all.
It's pure speculation on my part, but ZeniMax is on a developer-buying spree, and they just raised 150 millions precisely for this reason.
And i don't think they'd let Obsidian develop their second biggest franchise just cause they're its daddies.

I don't share the negativity though, ZeniMax is the biggest "hardcore oriented" publisher and so far they've succeeded in retaining their developers unique identities. Obsidian in ZeniMax doesn't mean necessarily Obsidian incorporated in Bethesda.
 
I am a huge Fallout fan but I am defintely not taking the Wild Wasteland trait.

The reason for making the humor and wackiness that comes with that trait optional is that some (even at Obsidian) are not fond of the more goofy aspects of the games.

Perhaps for some that silliness is part of the Fallout charm but I always liked taking the games more 'serious' and some of the more far out stuff kinda takes me out of the game.
 
Sickboy007 said:
I think that there's a very high chance of ZeniMax aquiring Obsidian if this game does good enough.
I would like that. Let Obsidian be free to do what they do best and let them get some help with tech etc.
 

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I don't share the negativity though, ZeniMax is the biggest "hardcore oriented" publisher and so far they've succeeded in retaining their developers unique identities.
Yeah, I was just messing. Zenimax basically has a blank cheque to prop up PC gaming, and that's commendable, but I'd prefer them to just do publishing deals. I think Obsidian would, too, but we'll see.

(Beta Protocol, guys! Just saying!)
 
DennisK4 said:
I am a huge Fallout fan but I am defintely not taking the Wild Wasteland trait.

The reason for making the humor and wackiness that comes with that trait optional is that some (even at Obsidian) are not fond of the more goofy aspects of the games.

Perhaps for some that silliness is part of the Fallout charm but I always liked taking the games more 'serious' and some of the more far out stuff kinda takes me out of the game.
Ironically, this just further incentivizes extra playthroughs by me because I love both aspects. Them separating it out make it even better.

Also, for the thread, is there ANY definitive answer on the game real estate size compared to FO3. I've heard smaller, bigger, and same.
 

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
lawblob said:
Any word on the console version differences? PS3 version gonna be shitty again?
There was nothing wrong with the PS3 version outside of an occasional freeze every 3-4 hours of constant play.
 
Stallion Free said:
Alpha Protocol ran great on PC, it just had some graphical glitches from time to time and some animations were well :lol
I wouldn't really say it ran..... great. Especially considering how UE3 games usually run on the PC. It also did not look anywhere on par with what you would expect of a UE3 which runs worse than most other games on the same engine. :p

Obsidian is really poor at using outside technology. When they did NWN2, the original release was a total clusterfuck. It wasn't even really playable until the major patch that came with Mask of the Betrayer.

On the other hand, their in-house Onyx Engine which they've been working on, looks amazing. It's really the first time an Obsidian game actually looks like it has something worth showing off in terms of technology. So I really don't think Obsidian using IdTech is going to benefit them much, since they'll have to learn how to use the tech, and probably fuck up anyway.
 

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Sickboy007 said:
It's pure speculation on my part, but ZeniMax is on a developer-buying spree, and they just raised 150 millions precisely for this reason.
And i don't think they'd let Obsidian develop their second biggest franchise just cause they're its daddies.

I don't share the negativity though, ZeniMax is the biggest "hardcore oriented" publisher and so far they've succeeded in retaining their developers unique identities. Obsidian in ZeniMax doesn't mean necessarily Obsidian incorporated in Bethesda.
I'd agree with the second half. My only real complaint with ZeniMax is not letting id use idtech5 as a public middleware.
 
I guess I'm just totally biased against ZeniMax's links to Bethesda. I won't deny it. I agree that Obsidian needs a more stable environment to focus on game development instead of worrying about future contracts and keeping the company afloat. It's been a concern of mine as a fan for a long time, especially seeing how their recent projects like Alpha Protocol and the Aliens RPG didn't go as planned. It's pretty worrying when two major projects meet serious problems like they did for a an independent developer like Obsidian, and I certainly won't want to see them close shop.

I just don't like the idea of Obsidian and Bethesda being under the same corporate roof. :(
 
I got the platinum trophy for F3 because the game was fun.

Hardcore mode in F:NV does not sound fun at all. Starting out with a first game on Hardcore mode sounds like suicide as you'd have no idea of all of the sleep locations or food stores.
 

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
BTW, just to make this clear, I'm entrusting GAF Opinion™ to judge whether or not I should buy it close to launch. To put it another way, if you liked Fallout 3 and like New Vegas and there's no bugs or shit in the 360 version then I'll appreciate your feedback.

That and I need to know if the Asian 360 version will work with PAL consoles. But Play-Asia can help me there.

To think, this may be the first new game I've bought since Modern Warfare 2 was released. Yeah, I've been OTTP for a long time.
 
Galvanise_ said:
I got the platinum trophy for F3 because the game was fun.

Hardcore mode in F:NV does not sound fun at all. Starting out with a first game on Hardcore mode sounds like suicide as you'd have no idea of all of the sleep locations or food stores.
A super-punishing semi-realistic system in a post-apocalyptic open ended world is the epitome of fun! :D
 
Galvanise_ said:
I got the platinum trophy for F3 because the game was fun.

Hardcore mode in F:NV does not sound fun at all. Starting out with a first game on Hardcore mode sounds like suicide as you'd have no idea of all of the sleep locations or food stores.

Well, you can always set the difficulty to easy to make the enemies easier all the while worrying more about survival. I am most definitely going to start out in hardcore mode. Can you change difficulty throughout the game?
 
TheExecutive said:
Well, you can always set the difficulty to easy to make the enemies easier all the while worrying more about survival. I am most definitely going to start out in hardcore mode. Can you change difficulty throughout the game?
Been a while since I played F3. What are the drawbacks of playing on easy?

I assumed Hardcore mode was the highest difficulty setting.
 
Galvanise_ said:
Been a while since I played F3. What are the drawbacks of playing on easy?

I assumed Hardcore mode was the highest difficulty setting.
As others have mentioned already, I believe the understanding is that hardcore mode specfically influences various survival factors and is wholely independant to the difficulty setting, which only influences combat.

Edit: Wallach explains it better.

Wallach said:
I think you do have it wrong, at least somewhat. Hardcore mode is a separate selection from the difficulty setting. You can play Hardcore mode on "Easy" if you want.

Hardcore mode should only modify the following things:

- Stimpack healing
- Ammo weight
- Limb healing
- Radiation poisoning
- Sustenance/Sleep requirements
 
Galvanise_ said:
Been a while since I played F3. What are the drawbacks of playing on easy?

I assumed Hardcore mode was the highest difficulty setting.
.....

Please read the thread. Hardcore is not a difficulty setting. It's a gameplay setting. :(
 
Galvanise_ said:
I got the platinum trophy for F3 because the game was fun.

Hardcore mode in F:NV does not sound fun at all. Starting out with a first game on Hardcore mode sounds like suicide as you'd have no idea of all of the sleep locations or food stores.
I think it's the best way to do it. The whole point is that you're constantly having to explore and scavenge just to survive, and if you mess up... bam, dead. Sounds awesome.
 
I get the feeling that I will just go to the casino's and play poker the whole time, its pretty much what happened when the Ante up mission occured in Dead rising 2.
 
SalsaShark said:
You know i missed school when Fallout 3 came out

I think im gonna miss film school now, im trying to clear the path :lol
I took four days off of University. Unlike when I took a day off for GTA IV. . .I didn't regret it at all. My housemates weren't happy though. I hogged the HD TV (Which was mine btw). :lol
 
duckroll said:
That's like saying... "Second day to work today, and I tried taking a bus and walking instead of driving. As expected, it worked."
Lol, was a kind of state the obvious er statement, would be nicer if he went into detail about what he did differently :D
 
I really hope there's no obligation on doing some of the "Vegas" stuff.

I practically suck/dont know how to play a lot of card games :/ i hated those Dead Rising 2 missions since i was trying to do every mission available but i said "fuck it" when it got to that :lol
 

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lostconfused said:
Probably more like Bloodlines in general if we go with a Bloodlines reference. Otherwise its going to be more like Fallout 2? As in more humorous, I don't think anyone knows exactly what this perk does though just yet.
Bloodlines joked but it rarely got downright goofy or broke the fourth wall like Fallout 2 did (Malkavian being the exception). It made Fallout 2 an uneven experience. It good that you can switch it on and off. Will make for a good second play through.
 
SalsaShark said:
I really hope there's no obligation on doing some of the "Vegas" stuff.

I practically suck/dont know how to play a lot of card games :/ i hated those Dead Rising 2 missions since i was trying to do every mission available but i said "fuck it" when it got to that :lol
Red Dead Redemption taught me how to play Texas Hold'em. :lol
 
Wiggum2007 said:
Red Dead Redemption taught me how to play Texas Hold'em. :lol
havent played RDR, but going through the tutorial to play that damn card game in Dead Rising 2 totally killed the mood for me. One minute im killing a bunch of zombies and then i have to sit tight and read a tutorial until i get it ? :(
 

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SalsaShark said:
I really hope there's no obligation on doing some of the "Vegas" stuff.

I practically suck/dont know how to play a lot of card games :/ i hated those Dead Rising 2 missions since i was trying to do every mission available but i said "fuck it" when it got to that :lol
You gotta beat us in poker in order to save us from this here zombie apocalypse.