• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Prisen

Edgeward said:
PC version here, I've now unlocked the infamous kill the guy for his hat quest. Is it safe now to do the quest, or should I just hold off?

Also fucking Deathclaws in the Quarry, I can annihilate everything with my Energy guns, but all they need is two swipes or sometimes one and I'm down. And a full VATS unloading with my tri-laser still leaves them with 1/5 of health even as lvl 25.

Melee weapons are really overpowered, even if you haven't put any points towards them. Shoot one from a distance, stand back behind your companions when it charges so it attacks one of them, run up and VATS punch it in the stomach. Two good punches is usually all it takes :lol

ElFly

Skiptastic said:
You don't have auto-save on? I don't worry too much about freezing on the 360 because of this.

Doesn't make restarting the game any less annoying.

Before finishing the game, I was trying to do all the sidequests I could.

But when trying to get a melee move from a retired ranger in Novac (I think? the town with the dinosaur statue), the game bugged out and doesn't let me talk to him. And there's no fix for that yet.

Aaron said:
Huh? I found every group to clearly be assholes, with Legion just the worst of the lot, since I didn't find a single redeeming thing about them. Mr. House is a total dick, though he does save the Strip, its clearly for his own edification. The NCR is seeking to expand and control key resources for the sake of its citizens, not caring about the lives of others.

Instead of good versus evil, it was no good really and various shades of evil. It's more realistic in that way compared to FO3, but it's not all that complex.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and I'd point out that your conclusion that everyone being differing shades of evil is precisely the reason I like the factions; I didn't think any of them were evil exactly, but you thought that they all were.

The complexity comes from the interactions made possible by the number of factions with conflicting goals who you work for and against.

tokkun said:
The Legion was just as evil as the F3-era Enclave, if not more evil. Sure the Enclave was trying to kill off anyone with mutant genes, but that at least was ostensibly being done for a pragmatic reason related to the long-term survival of the human race. You didn't see the Enclave doing things for reasons of pure sadism, like the Legion's "Lottery".

The Legion never does anything purely out of sadism. The people in the lottery
were escaped convicts, alcoholics, drug-users and prostitutes. There are probably a good many people in the "civilised" world who would approve of their treatment, after all they were just being tough on crime.

The Enclave plot is too similar to Nazism, i.e. "ve must veed out zis mutant gene so our proud Aryan... uh, American race can take over zis vasteland." Because they're the historically approved bad-guy of choice, it feels to me like the writers wanted to make it easy for the player to make moral-decisions with the story, in the much the same way that Mass Effect has been boiled down to Paragon vs Renegade. Whereas the world of New Vegas is far more nuanced.

For example, take The Silver Rush quests.
Hands up who expected that to end up being a positive NCR rep quest? Especially considering that an earlier step sees you offering Cass up for execution.

At what point do they explain the Lottery? Do they do so right at the discovery moment? Because I completely missed that subtext and instead focused on the... aftermath of the town. What with the crosses and bodies.

Maybe I've had the Legion wrong all along? I don't know. Still not exactly down the whole slavery thing, and I don't know if I could morally do quests for them in any playthrough.

Decisions.

Durante

Jerk 2.0 said:
Do you not play many RPGs? Waiting two hours to save in a CRPG is just asking for it.
How is that even possible? IIRC autosave is on by default, and it saves on every region switch and rest.

Aaron

jim-jam bongs said:
The Legion never does anything purely out of sadism. The people in the lottery
were escaped convicts, alcoholics, drug-users and prostitutes. There are probably a good many people in the "civilised" world who would approve of their treatment, after all they were just being tough on crime.
They do plenty of killing and enslaving of innocent people too. They're the Enclave with torture, trying to impose order in the most savage way possible. There really isn't any shades to them at all.

krakov

Durante said:
How is that even possible? IIRC autosave is on by default, and it saves on every region switch and rest.

The wasteland is quite a big region and if you don't fast travel everywhere it's easy to loose a few hours.

Also, hey dudes crucifying escaped convicts, alcoholics, drug-users and prostitutes isn't really a bad thing to do.

True, true. I have a question about something that's slightly bothering me. With the closing of Dead Money, there's a challenge that I got 5/5 for during its dialog. It's called "Shape of Things to Come" or something to that effect, and it talks about "getting glimpses of what could be with you and those around you" in so many words. And I gots to know: does it inadvertently give away the finale?
Am I going to have to face a final courier at the edge of the Mojave? And kill him to become the last flag carrier/burden of humanity in the wastes?
At least, that's what I think Christine was talking about.

Edit: Also, would someone mind telling me the results of recruiting
The Boomers for NCR
?

Is it possible to complete For the Republic Part 2 without doing Oh My Papa?
Killing Papa Khan fails Oh My Papa and I think it breaks FTR too because Regis doesn't talk to me afterwards--even though he wanted Papa out of the picture. I don't want to waste my time getting to a cazador/deathclaw-infested Khan camp or killing my way into Cottonwood Cove again.

Update: It looks like I can't even complete For the Republic. Turns out that finishing You'll Know It When It Happens before for House or Yes Man bugs the quest. I guess it's time to roll a new character. Please post more, people, I feel lonely.

I've been looking forward to playing this and I got a good price on a copy today.
I really lived FO3 but already again I'm just baffeled about the connected choices they make for you character. Why, or sweet lord WHY, are sneaking and guns connected under agility.
hmm, I could either shoot this guy from far or sneak past him... I know I'll do BOTH! :p
I always feel like games that let you make you own character and skillz never have the options I would naturally pick. Example, the Rorschach test they put you through: That picture at the end is CLEARLY two grizzly bears giving each other a high-five, wtf mushroom cloud?

Duki

Banned
afternoon delight said:
True, true. I have a question about something that's slightly bothering me. With the closing of Dead Money, there's a challenge that I got 5/5 for during its dialog. It's called "Shape of Things to Come" or something to that effect, and it talks about "getting glimpses of what could be with you and those around you" in so many words. And I gots to know: does it inadvertently give away the finale?
Am I going to have to face a final courier at the edge of the Mojave? And kill him to become the last flag carrier/burden of humanity in the wastes?
At least, that's what I think Christine was talking about.

The Boomers for NCR
?
pretty sure it's a reference to a dlc that will feature that other courier who shat himself when he saw your name or whatever

pretty sure it's a reference to a dlc that will feature that other courier who shat himself when he saw your name or whatever
Thank you.

Also, being level 32 evidently does not make you immune from Deathclaw swarms at the Quarry Junction. :( Thank the gods for Assassin Suit + Gauss Rifle + Better Criticals Perk.

It's a pretty nasty combination.

afternoon delight said:
Also, being level 32 evidently does not make you immune from Deathclaw swarms at the Quarry Junction. :( Thank the gods for Assassin Suit + Gauss Rifle + Better Criticals Perk.

Jeez, I just blast those fuckers from afar with This Machine. Let Veronica and ED-E go after them while I hang back, blasting them away. Super easy kills.

afternoon delight said:
The Boomers for NCR
?

All of the different factions you can support want you to get Boomer support, at least that I've seen. So, doing that allows you to keep progressing along the NCR support path. Mr. House wants you to get them to support him, Caesar wants you to do the same. I got them to like me because I stumbled on their base and I just did the Volare! mission.

afternoon delight said:
What the hell is a This Machine? I've missed so many uniques.

It's a reward for doing some missions in McCarran. Either you help Daniel Contreras or hack his PC and bring the evidence to Lt. Boyd and she gives it to you. Great weapon if you can find enough .308 bullets because on the 360, it's condition never gets below about 80%.

well 100 hours in and the game crashes whenever I enter The Strip. guess I'll start a new game and extract my vengeance by killing everyone in the world.

I DEMAND THAT EVERYONE SUFFER AND DIE!

I need help at the beginning. I've already done a guns build and I don't know whether to pick energy, explosives, unarmed or melee. So far I've tried explosives (lots of dynamite at the beginning but fighting geckos was awkward) and unarmed (No. Weapons. Anywhere. I can't even punch anything with a DT of 1 or more). I want to know where to find a good unarmed weapon early on or how to use dynamite and other early explosives the best. I'm not a fan of melee weapons in this game.

krakov

ChoklitReign said:
I need help at the beginning. I've already done a guns build and I don't know whether to pick energy, explosives, unarmed or melee. So far I've tried explosives (lots of dynamite at the beginning but fighting geckos was awkward) and unarmed (No. Weapons. Anywhere. I can't even punch anything with a DT of 1 or more). I want to know where to find a good unarmed weapon early on or how to use dynamite and other early explosives the best. I'm not a fan of melee weapons in this game.

I'm using unarmed/explosives mainly right now and they both seem super powerful. For unarmed to be a force you need some knuckles, I think the brass ones can be found early. Explosives is best used as a surprise attack, they are also really powerful though.

Aaron

Zzoram said:
Is it hard to beat hardcore mode? What is the end bonus for doing it?
It's sadly imbalanced. You have to drink way too often and sleep hardly at all. If you're on PC, you can get mods that make it work better.

Dead Man

Back to this after GT5, playing one PC. I have a question about the endgame.

Is there
any way to take over the strip from House, and then 'gift' it to or stay allied with the NCR? Seems like the game forces you to become antagonistic with the NCR just by taking out House.

Ploid 3.0

BobTheFork said:
I've been looking forward to playing this and I got a good price on a copy today.
I really lived FO3 but already again I'm just baffeled about the connected choices they make for you character. Why, or sweet lord WHY, are sneaking and guns connected under agility.
hmm, I could either shoot this guy from far or sneak past him... I know I'll do BOTH! :p
I always feel like games that let you make you own character and skillz never have the options I would naturally pick. Example, the Rorschach test they put you through: That picture at the end is CLEARLY two grizzly bears giving each other a high-five, wtf mushroom cloud?

What? I clearly saw a mushroom cloud in the negative shape. I saw no grizzlies. Need a pic of this one, maybe two pics had the mushroom cloud option. Mushroom cloud as in A-Bomb explosion.

MrDaravon

On Hardcore, do I need to actually be holding on to all of these food and crafting items I have? I'm about 6 or so hours in (wrapping up Nipton now), and I've been picking up and stashing all of the food, drink, and craftable materials thinking that it would be important to start making cooking recipes and whatnot since I'm on Hardcore. But so far I've only had to eat and drink a few times, and I seem to be picking up 10 times the amount of those items I would actually need. Does this stuff actually start becoming more scarce later, or does this really not wind up being an issue, and there's enough stuff to find to eat/drink as you go where I don't need to actually be keeping stuff for recipes? Obviously the weapon crafting and other items are probably good to keep, but I have like a million meats and drinks and whatnot already.

Just got a 2008 IMac as a hand-me-down and snagged the PC version. Even with a pithy Radeon 2600 XT, it bests the trey sixty version quite handily. What are some of the choice mods?

Ledsen

Red Blaster said:
Just got a 2008 IMac as a hand-me-down and snagged the PC version. Even with a pithy Radeon 2600 XT, it bests the trey sixty version quite handily. What are some of the choice mods?

Better Binoculars 2.1 - to make the binoculars actually useful
Inventory Sorters Combined 2.0 - Prefixes all the items with their item type, making your inventory neat and tidy instead of a huge mess
Slower Level Rates - I use 1.5, that is I need 50% more exp for each level, since lots of people complain about hitting the ceiling far too early

just finished it finally, at 80 hours. Finished the dead money dlc as well. Was awesome all around.

360 version really struggles with the last battles though. Had it freeze twice from too much plasma grenade spamming.

Lakitu

st5fu
Zenimax registered the following trademarks for New Vegas DLC:

Old World Blues
Lonesome Road
Honest Hearts (The Burned Man, New Canaan, etc)

ElFly

Zzoram said:
New Vegas feels harder than Fallout 3 unless I remember incorrectly. I've died 4 times in 5.5 hours.

Monsters hit harder, and damage threshold means big monsters are hard to kill.

Zzoram

ElFly said:
Monsters hit harder, and damage threshold means big monsters are hard to kill.

The flame thrower in Bison Hotel was rather shocking. Especially since it seemed to shoot fireballs with significant range, something I was not expecting.

After reloading from my death I closed a door on the guy, and he apparently wasted all his fuel on the door or something because when he finally opened it, he was using a melee weapon instead of his incinerator.

Zzoram

Aaron said:
It's sadly imbalanced. You have to drink way too often and sleep hardly at all. If you're on PC, you can get mods that make it work better.

I don't see how that is incorrect for a game that takes place in Vegas. The heat would dehydrate you fast.

Zzoram

Any idea what order I should do quests? A lot of them seem kinda hard even though I'm level 4 now and have explored the area around Goodsprings quite well. I have about 10 map markers activated. The NCRCF seems too heavily guarded and the Death Claws are pretty tough too. Also the Powder Gangers apparently hate me so much they're sending random death squads at me. Oh and I'm playing Hardcore mode so I keep going back to the Goodsprings Source to get clean water.

Aaron

Zzoram said:
I don't see how that is incorrect for a game that takes place in Vegas. The heat would dehydrate you fast.
Even if you travel at night, you have to drink at the same rate. I use a canteen mod that allows me to refill the ten water bottles I carry if I can find a decent source. There's quite a bit of clean water in the game so that's not a problem. Eating rate feels just right. Hardly ever need to sleep. Love that companions can die in this mode.

For missions, I'd suggest traveling to Freeside. Lots to do there.

Lime

Just completed the game. I really liked the moral values displayed in your choices. Really, really good. I also loved that neither side were good or bad (well except Cesar's Legion obviously.) and that each faction was carved out sufficiently to understand their motivations and culture, even though all of them did immoral things.

But there were a lot of negatives with this game. Game-breaking bugs, crashes to desktop, floating characters, player stuck in the terrain, etc. And that's not commenting on the graphics engine itself (I know, Gamebryo sucks etc.).

Furthermore, what bugged me the most was the total homogeneity of the voice actors. During 5 minutes of interaction with different NPCs I heard the same voice actor, over and over again. Especially Liam O'Brien (also the guy doing Lezard from Valkyrie Profile). It really took me out of the immersion.

To me, it was a typical Obsidian game in principle. Great ideas, below par execution.

No doubt this has been mentioned before, but are there plans to actually fix the bullshit glitch that is the invisible gun/pipboy and obscurely placed gun/pipboy on the 360???

If no one knows what I mean...

Normal Pipboy Display...

C360_2011-01-0713-18-11.jpg

Normal Gun Display...

C360_2011-01-0713-18-00.jpg

Obscured Gun...

C360_2011-01-0713-16-27.jpg

Obscured Pipboy...

C360_2011-01-0713-16-43.jpg

Invisible Gun...

C360_2011-01-0713-17-13.jpg

Invisible Pipboy...

C360_2011-01-0713-17-26.jpg

It happens constantly, but never at the same spot. I move and the gun moves up, looking really bizarre. I turn a little, it goes away. I move onwards...it happens again. Sometimes it may not happen for at least 10 minutes...but it happens every time I play.

It may only last for a second or so, but when you are in a battle and need to bring up the pipboy to heal or use an item, only to find it is either invisible or is off screen, then it gets fucking annoying.

@obscured gun glitch...

That still fucking happens in a lot of playthroughs. Annoying as fuck because it just happens so randomly, but so frequently.

Top Bottom