• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter is now out on PC! (Only available through Bethesda.net Launcher)

Wasn't expecting this today but Fallout Shelter is finally out on PC, for some reason it's only available through the Bethesda.net launcher.

802475c251644e797dcbc2d44cc8b3dd.jpg

Here's the link to the Bethesda.net launcher, it requires an account through the Bethesda website: http://download.cdp.bethesda.net/BethesdaNetLauncher_Setup.exe

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Never played it when it was on mobile phone. Is the game fun? Worth playing?

Meier

It's frankly a pretty terrible game when compared to its contemporaries. I would say there is very little to keep you coming back after more than a few days.

firelogic

It's frankly a pretty terrible game when compared to its contemporaries. I would say there is very little to keep you coming back after more than a few days.

They're adding a bunch of new stuff, namely quests, in the next few days to the mobile version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They can kiss 10s (maybe even 100s) of million of dollars if they do that with that with their big AAA games.
Well, technically, a lot of the biggest PC titles aren't on Steam.

Minecraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, League of Legends, World of Tanks, Runescape...

Hektor

They can kiss 10s (maybe even 100s) of million of dollars if they do that with that with their big AAA games.

Bethesda's games are among the most popular ones on PC. I'm pretty sure most of the NuFallout/TES fanbase will follow them without hesitation

I'm gonna install this right now just to see how the PC version is, I found this game decent on mobile but I dropped it after a week.

morpix

bethesda.net sure is something everyone wants! origin and UWP need some competition

I seriously have way too many launchers installed. Lets see:

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

This got out of hand years ago, but man...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For indie games and b-teams, maybe. Fallout and Elder Scrolls gonna sell whatever platform it's on.

There's probably a good argument to be had that they're big enough to leverage a major benefit out of a 95% margin instead of a 70% margin while maintaining their audience, especially for the copies that are selling for notably meaningful prices.

Miyahon

Played it and the problem is later on your shelter will get bombarded with Deathclaws who will kill most of your inhabitants. I stopped playing because after I cleaned up my shelter I would get more Deathclaws coming and even more after I defeated the last round of them. As with most F2P games you're essentially pushed towards buying lunch boxes to get more items.

Chobel

Well, technically, a lot of the biggest PC titles aren't on Steam.

Minecraft, Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, League of Legends, World of Tanks...

I'm not exactly talking about success, more about being as much as successful outside of Steam. These games you mentioned started out outside of Steam so we can't make with/without Steam comparison . Bethesda games on the other hands are successful on Steam, and I just can't see them replicating the same success without Steam.

Bethesda's games are among the most popular ones on PC. I'm pretty sure most of the NuFallout/TES fanbase will follow them without hesitation
BF franchise maybe didn't suffer that much but i think that every other really did.

Initial period sales maybe, but after that when the hype goes down? I can't see Bethesda having the marketing potential anywhere near Steam discoverability/sales.

To those of you that can cope with installing another launcher the PC version of Fallout Shelter is fine. It runs and preforms well for a game that was originally on mobile and the options menu is very basic.

5c2fbd9a6ee37c8f432d8888c26b7c0f.png

Played it and the problem is later on your shelter will get bombarded with Deathclaws who will kill most of your inhabitants. I stopped playing because after I cleaned up my shelter I would get more Deathclaws coming and even more after I defeated the last round of them. As with most F2P games you're essentially pushed towards buying lunch boxes to get more items.
The only thing you have to do to never see a deathclaw is to not build a radio room and never send dwellers to the wasteland.

It's not hard and the only "currency" you'll spend on this is time. I still got raiders from time to time but I made all of my money based off the cap bonuses from resource rooms and selling extra garbage from raiders.

By the time saw my first deathclaw, I had two max level guards in the door room and more in a storage room behind it, meaning the deathclaws never left the first floor.

Gotta play smart.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Not another Launcher :( No Fallout Shelter for me then. I hope you dont need an account for Dishonored 2 and Prey (both on Steam), like Ubisoft games on Steam...

Well they're selling Dishonered 2 through steam so probably only a select few games will be also on the launcher.

I cant see them ditching steam like EA.

Probably going the Ubisoft road though where every new game will have to go through BetNet launcher for big games and Free 2 Play stuff like this launching first there or being exclusive to it.

Blam

I really hope bethesda drops this launcher.

It's bad and I really don't want a launcher for a company that makes 1 game maybe every year.

It's a pointless launcher and can be thrown out.

Miyahon

The only thing you have to do to never see a deathclaw is to not build a radio room and never send dwellers to the wasteland.

It's not hard and the only "currency" you'll spend on this is time. I still got raiders from time to time but I made all of my money based off the cap bonuses from resource rooms and selling extra garbage from raiders.

By the time saw my first deathclaw, I had two max level guards in the door room and more in a storage room behind it, meaning the deathclaws never left the first floor.

Gotta play smart.

I never knew this and the game never explicitly tells you this either.

That's true as with any F2P game you don't have to spend anything but as with most of these games you're pushed towards it at every opportunity.

Actually just started playing the mobile version the other day.

Of course by "playing" I mean "mostly watching while waiting to get more caps".

Well they're selling Dishonered 2 through steam so probably only a select few games will be also on the launcher.

Selling Dishonored 2 through steam doesn't prevent them from selling Dishonored 2 on their storefront too.

They can kiss 10s (maybe even 100s) of million of dollars if they do that with their big AAA games.

I doubt they're gonna go full exclusive on their storefont for all their future releases. This isn't akin to Origin exclusives like Battlefield, Crysis 3, Titanfall but multiplatform releases like Witcher 3, GTA V etc, where they also release on the publisher's proprietary storefront and who's physical releases, going forward, come with a code to redeem on their storefront instead of steamworks.

I can put this next to my other 1-game launcher that I "got" from Epic for Shadow Complex.

I wonder if Bethesda, Epic and Ubi would be get together and make a single launcher for all of their games. No steam anywhere so they'd be happy, and it'd save us all the bloat and irritation from having all of these redundant programs running in the background.

Corpekata

Banned
Isn't this not supposed to be up for another day? Maybe it just launched early and the Steam version is hitting tomorrow? Not even the official twitter is promoting the PC release as "out."

Selling Dishonored 2 through steam doesn't prevent them from selling Dishonored 2 on their storefront too.

True, they could go the way that Ubisoft does where you can get the game on steam and/or activate the key to also play through the launcher or just get the game on the launcher.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Bethesda, Epic and Ubi would be get together and make a single launcher for all of their games. No steam anywhere so they'd be happy, and it'd save us all the bloat and irritation from having all of these redundant programs running in the background.

Maybe Ubi and Beth could combine their resources and give us the flag/feather collectible-filled Fallout game we've all wanted for so long.

JaseC

Isn't this not supposed to be up for another day? Maybe it just launched early and the Steam version is hitting tomorrow? Not even the official twitter is promoting the PC release as "out."

Ah, yeah, you're right. There's probably no story here beyond the game being out. Not unlike how Ubi removing AssCreed Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew from Steam was likely a mistake that was rectified less than 24 hours later.

StereoVsn

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

I stopped at the first four. I used to have uPlay but haven't really played any of their games for a while so uninstalled it. Actually come to think of it, I haven't played D3 in ages and pulled that and Battlenet off as well.

I didn't get that free Epic game and not getting free uPlay games. There are plenty of games out there especially if you throw consoles to the mix without those two. EA still has my ME games and DAI, otherwise wouldn't have bothered but I can see myself killing Origin in a few months.

This is getting out of hand. Throw in UWP to the mix. Meh. More potential attack vectors on your PC, more shit to update, more system resources, and it's freaking annoying. Plus, let's be frank about Bethesda, F4 was disappointing overall and there is no expectation about any of their other games to be that spectacular anymore. Dishonored 2 is still on Steam.

mephixto

Banned
I reached to that point where one of the main reason I don't play/replay some games is cause I don't want to bother with the launcher.

JaseC

Dishonored 2 is still on Steam.

Dishonored 2 is Steamworks. GMG's store page was initially lacking a buy button and listed "Other DRM", but I confirmed with Support that this was just a placeholder; the game is now pre-purchasable as a Steamworks title.

- Steam
- GOG
- Origin
- Battle.net
- Uplay
- Epic Launcher
- Bethesda Launcher

Agree, I have all of those launchers installed on my laptop and even then I know that's way too much.

Top Bottom