• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter |OT| Revolutionizing safety for an uncertain future

Had my first deathclaw attack. Only had two people die but my resources took a serious hit and I used a lot of stimpaks keeping people alive. Right as I'd almost recovered from the first attack there was another deathclaw attack. They should definitely be rarer then that.

Nightbird

Stopped playing since 2 fucking Roaches managed to kill 3 of my armed Dwellers, including my second best, and my whole Food Troop. It also happend after I decided to upgrade some rooms, so I had no money to revive all of them.

It's ridiculous how those things managed to kill a total of 6 people before going down.

painey

I made 2 Diners and 2 Living Quarters next to each other, but they didn't extend.. they have walls between them.. what did I do wrong?

I made 2 Diners and 2 Living Quarters next to each other, but they didn't extend.. they have walls between them.. what did I do wrong?

They only join if they are the same level of room. One of your rooms has been upgraded, you will need to upgrade the new room to join them

SpecX

Been playing this since Monday and now I'm done. Been struggling after a radroach attack to rebuild my population and get caps and when I'm nearly there, 2 more revives needed, another attack comes through and wipes Damn near the entire population. Fun while it lasted, bit don't have the patience to keep going.

xMaxie77

Neo Member
I'm finding I'm absolutely horrible at these types of games. My dwellers keep dying, everyone's thirsty and full of radiation poisoning ...

That aside, Bethesda put up some great stats for the first month of the game's release in the wild:

FalloutShelter_Infographic_v10-EN.0.jpg

Xiraiya

I'm currently at 118 Dwellers max capacity with 10 waiting outside, I don't want to extend my vault further until I have the stuff I already built fully situated, I wish you could turn people outside away or use them as a meat shield.

Do types of weapons matter? or benefit from different stats?
I have Jericho and Sarah Lyons guarding my vault door but they don't seem particularly capable of stopping deathclaws while my storage room nearby does a decent job, even though Sarah and Jericho are way stronger.

I'm currently at 118 Dwellers max capacity with 10 waiting outside, I don't want to extend my vault further until I have the stuff I already built fully situated, I wish you could turn people outside away or use them as a meat shield.

Do types of weapons matter? or benefit from different stats?
I have Jericho and Sarah Lyons guarding my vault door but they don't seem particularly capable of stopping deathclaws while my storage room nearby does a decent job, even though Sarah and Jericho are way stronger.

You're going to only have 2 guys at the door. It's less effective than 6 guys in a 3 merged room.

Been totally absorbed by this for a few days now and have attained a level of security where it's now just a case of deciding for myself what I want to achieve.

I think what you find at this point is that there isn't much to keep you going. Uncommon guns & outfits, high level dwellers and a satisfying vault layout is, for me at least, a really low percentage draw compared to the urgent and immediate early game scramble for survival.

It's not a diss on the game really, I think it's fantastic, and am going to continue tuning in a few times a day to reach for those longer term objectives.

One thing I've stopped doing is breeding or looking for more dwellers. I preferred the personal interest I was able to take in their appearance and development, before my vault turned into a sprawling nest. Also I was operating on the assumption that higher level dwellers would breed higher level kids, so why bother breeding more puny console gaming peasants. However I no longer believe that to be the case, regretfully.

Anyway I'm happier perfecting what I have than expanding it any further. I'm just short of the nuke cola threshold of 100 dwellers. Probably I could achieve my goals faster and better with more biomass, but eh.

hepburn3d

i deleted this game about 2 months ago after getting bored but I've come back to play in a different way and am gonna by to share my uncommon tips:

1. Don't upgrade to quickly. A level 3 room with give level 3 events meaning harder rad roaches and tougher flames. I just upgrade to level 2 until the room is full of well kitted out dwellers.

2. Use medbays as grinders. Need to put out X fires or rush Y rooms. Build a med bay 3 wide, don't upgrade it! Then rush it. If you fail you get a minor event your dwellers will easily handle. If you pass you get Stimpacks for future failures :) I don't see much point in upgrading it. I rush it for my Stimpacks.

3. Delete the first room and replace with a resource producing room. Why? You'll want your toughest dwellers near the door. I have a power plant there for my strongest dwellers so they can react quickly but keep levelling up.

4. Tired of empty rooms getting infested or on fire and spreading? Spend some Caps. Build an elevator shaft straight down. About 7/8 floors. Then build all your bedrooms and storage rooms down there. I never have dwellers in these rooms so when they catch on fire or get infested they can't spread to the rest of my vault.

5. Play slowly. It's hard not to want 200 dwellers but you need costumes and weapons. I'm currently at 30 dwellers and sitting comfortably. I'm no longer baby booming and exploring the wasteland for weapons and armour and storing it in my very low below ground rooms. It also give your dwellers time to level up and increase their specials.

6. Ignore objectives that force you to progress. Get 16 dwellers pregnant? No. Just delete these unless you plan on rushing. I delete room uprgades and build X rooms and have N babies. It's tempting for that lunchbox but having come back I can say those lunch boxes should not be your buzz for playing. Once you have all the best stuff you quickly get bored. Now I'm playing for vault design and long explorations it's more fun.

7. Build how you like but plan for disaster. I build 3, elevator, 2, elevator 3. I have the Center row as just special rooms except top floor as explained above. The outside rooms and resource or radio. I did this so if only 1 dwellers is training in a special the outside resource rooms can come help him in event of fires.

8. Don't leave rooms empty unless they are separated from everything. If that rad roach infestation spreads you can get overwhelmed. If you design well your dwellers will constantly be levelling up no matter where they are. I try to have at least 1 dweller per 2 person room.

9. Have fun :)

You definitely should upgrade to level 3 or the only way you can maintain your resources is by building more production and having higher pop.

Build like me and you'll never have incident spreading issues.

Meier

Didn't have anyone die from my first Deathclaw attack but they went through about 10 rooms in total. Absolute monsters.

Wow! I can kill Deathclaws in 4 rooms!

Edit: Alright, my Deathclaw killing strat is working. I only have 7 attack weapons in those rooms.

No more Deathclaw dancing for me!

Duraigo

Been playing since it got released for Android, and this is the most time I have ever spent on my phone. Never been a big phone guy, but I just gotta keep checking on my vault (up to 36 dwellers now). If there's one thing I want to see implemented into the game down the road, it's probably some sort of family history system. I want to see who is the child of which couple, and prevent kids from sleeping with their parents.

Been playing since it got released for Android, and this is the most time I have ever spent on my phone. Never been a big phone guy, but I just gotta keep checking on my vault (up to 36 dwellers now). If there's one thing I want to see implemented into the game down the road, it's probably some sort of family history system. I want to see who is the child of which couple, and prevent kids from sleeping with their parents.

Kids can't sleep with their parents, it'll say "it's nice to spend time with family" when you zoom in, but they can sleep with their grandparents lol.

Majukun

so..i have more than 60 members in my community but still no deathclaw attack...do they appear later in the game?
until now the game has been really easy anyway...i have all the resources i want,my inhabitants are happy and i'm finishing my "perfect human project" making guys with perfect strenght,endurance and luck to send to the wasteland to gather stuff

Finally those punk ass deathclaws decided to come when my best guys weren't in the Wasteland.

I built my base so that all my strongest guys are in the power plant and any raiders/deathclaws have to go through them twice before going down the first floor.

No deaths, deathcocks got rekt going through the power plant the 2nd time.

hepburn3d

Does upgrading a room require more power? So if I have a level 3 storage room will my power requirement go up? I can't seem to tell.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does upgrading a room require more power? So if I have a level 3 storage room will my power requirement go up? I can't seem to tell.

Yes, it will. The game is pretty random in terms of power requirements though, you might be a-okay at one point and in complete trouble the next.

Why would the developers jump straight to deathclaw attacks? Of all the other creatures in the fallout universe, you'd think they would be the last implementation of the raid.

I didn't know fully upgraded rooms would spawn super rad roaches so my entire vault just got wiped. After spending $10 of real money on this and having this junk happen I think I'm done. It was fun for the two weeks it lasted.

Caerith

Why would the developers jump straight to deathclaw attacks? Of all the other creatures in the fallout universe, you'd think they would be the last implementation of the raid.

It's Bethesda. The only thing they understand about the Fallout universe is that they bought it.

Having just had my save corrupted, I'm also pretty certain that they were expecting a community patch to make this game playable.

SirNinja

It's Bethesda. The only thing they understand about the Fallout universe is that they bought it.
As opposed to Interplay, who understood Fallout so much they eventually made one with a Slipknot/Celldweller/Meshuggah soundtrack.

I'm also pretty certain that they were expecting a community patch to make this game playable
Oh hey, another stereotype that lost most of its credibility around 2008. 2x combo!

Get a file explorer app, search for Vault[1/2/3].sav, and back it up somewhere next time.

hepburn3d

So I've sunk about 80-100 hours into this game now. This is my second time playing and I got a little bored. So I time cheated out of curiosity. Here's what happened:

I sent a guy out and sped collected armour and weapons. I fast forwarded time to get him back. I time skipped the daily reward for 2 weeks. I time skipped a load of dwellers to max special level. Then I went back in time to today. In total I went about 2 weeks into the future and back again, then things got weird. My resource no longer drains :/ it's always at max. I rushed a few rooms as they were at 24hrs or something, this reset them. I didn't fail any of my rushes. Nothing attacks me anymore. I haven't had any attacks. No raiders. No radroaches. No fires :/ Finally my explorers are getting no resources in the wild. Been out about 6 hrs now and nothing. They don't lose health or find anything. My bet is nothing will happen to them for 2 weeks them blam. The funny thing is though in 2 weeks they might start finding good loot as long as i remember to recall them before a 10k cap revival bill.

I know these are all bugs from exploiting but I found it interesting. I don't recommend time cheating unless you're making a throwaway vault.

Still highlights the massive end game hole that needs filling.

Caerith

Yeah, the deeper you dig the more you realize Fallout Shelter could be the foundation of a good game, but on its own is kind of a half-finished mess.

sangreal

Yeah, the deeper you dig the more you realize Fallout Shelter could be the foundation of a good game, but on its own is kind of a half-finished mess.

yup

though if you enjoy it, I'd recommend Sheltered -- which is even more unfinished, but at least it is advertised that way

Shahadan

I think I'm going to give up until they patch a lot of things.

Also combat is awful, awful, awful. Unplayable shit, highlighted by the deathclaws attacks. They move too fast, it's very hard to click on the character taht you want in order to heal him before death, and they attack too frequently. I got three deathclaws invasion in less than 40 minutes. One I can manage but not three.
I can't recover from the deaths and the annoying water ressource doesn't help.
Bleh.

Caerith

I think I'm going to give up until they patch a lot of things.

Also combat is awful, awful, awful. Unplayable shit, highlighted by the deathclaws attacks. They move too fast, it's very hard to click on the character taht you want in order to heal him before death, and they attack too frequently. I got three deathclaws invasion in less than 40 minutes. One I can manage but not three.
I can't recover from the deaths and the annoying water ressource doesn't help.
Bleh.
You can prevent events/disasters by forcing your own. Put two people with big guns in a one-room medbay and just keep rushing -- even when it fails, if it's only one room there'll only be a single radroach, single molerat, or small fire, and two people can resolve it almost instantly and only taking minimal damage. Other events won't happen when you're spamming rushes, and this gives you time to collect food/water/energy in the rest of your vault and get things stable enough for you to close the app.

yup

though if you enjoy it, I'd recommend Sheltered -- which is even more unfinished, but at least it is advertised that way

Sheltered looks kinda neat, but I'm not a fan of the art style. I'd kinda rather just load up Dwarf Fortress again.

Now that I can beat Deathclaws handily... it feels like I'm done.

All I can do is max everyone out and send them all to try and get legendary weapons, but that doesn't seem fun. And lunchboxes have terrible RNG that I really have no interest collecting everything in this game.

kulapik

I just uninstalled the game. I didn't even get to Deathclaws. I deleted several games I found were on a point of no return, and the last one was my peak. Once you start missing resources, it stops being a fun game and it starts being frustrating. Plus, it's a complete loss of time.

Don't think it will be missed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any details on the update other than hard mode and a new dweller? Any new activities, rooms, claws reduction?

spyder_ur

I hadn't booted the game up in a very long time. Saw there was an update, booted it up. Checked my people in the wasteland and recalled them. Only 54 days until they get back! OK then...

Top Bottom