• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family gets scalded by a geyser (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

And yet it's noted that it was a very windy day and they didn't think to themselves that perhaps they shouldn't be that close...

Hard to feel sorry for them or take anything they have to say about safety concerns seriously.
"Hm, the wind is blowing toward me, and I'm standing behind this geyser that's about to shoot scalding-hot water dozens of feet into the air, but some guy said it was okay, so I should just ignore all common sense and stay right here."

It's just a geyser. It's not even that cool or necessary to be that close.

Jedi2016

"Hm, the wind is blowing toward me, and I'm standing behind this geyser that's about to shoot scalding-hot water dozens of feet into the air, but some guy said it was okay, so I should just ignore all common sense and stay right here."
I'm guessing they lack(ed) even the most basic understanding of how a geyser works.

Yeah, there's no reason to stand that close, even if someone did say it was "okay". Hell, even if you want to get good pictures of it in mid-blast, you'll still need to be back a ways to see the whole thing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The title says "scolded" so I was expecting something funny, not hot water burning little kids.
:(

segasonic

And yet it's noted that it was a very windy day and they didn't think to themselves that perhaps they shouldn't be that close...

Hard to feel sorry for them or take anything they have to say about safety concerns seriously.

Yeah. Really hard to feel sorry for that little girl who suffered 2nd degree burns and is in utter pain during that video.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I can no longer look at the word geyser without thinking of xenoblade, I cannot be be British people pronounce it as geezer

I've been here before on several occasions, and while I'm not suggesting that the video guy was exaggerating in any way, I never really knew the water was "boiling". Seems like bad luck :(

Geyser water isn't boiling, it's superheated--it's above boiling point and that pressure is what causes the eruptions.

I can no longer look at the word geyser without thinking of xenoblade, I cannot be be British people pronounce it as geezer

True story: I live in Canada (where "geyser" is pronounced "gai-zer") and I was playing that part of Xenoblade with family in the room. When the first character said "geyser," everyone in the room immediately snapped to the TV and commented on how weird it was.

SyNapSe

aww that's too bad. It sounds like the safety line needs moved back. Hopefully, they have a full recovery

Nature is both amazing and destructive

Stet

Banned
Short update, I was at geysir two days ago. While I can see how it could happen, and I sympathize with the family, I don't really see how it's preventable given how the wind changes in Iceland.

I also don't see who should be made responsible. It's a natural formation. It's not fenced in except for the safety line. And despite several signs that say not to touch the pools and streams around it because the water could be up to a hundred degrees, people were still doing it.

I'd rather not force the Icelandic people to sanitize their landmarks for tourists either.

Anyway, geysir was okay but it's not really anything compared with the other sights the country has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom