• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family gets scalded by a geyser (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Can I have a mod title edit?

VIDEO

During our holiday in Iceland we went to see a geysir called Strokkur erupt. Normally this is safe to watch but this day it was very windy and because of a sudden burst of wind and change of direction, the boiling water from the geysir was blown over the safety area and landed on a group of tourists and us. 2 of our kids, 6 and 11 years old got first and second degree burn wounds and needed to go to hospital. You can hear our daughter cry in pain because of the boiling water that hit her.

In hindsight I have come to the conclusion that this is a very serious safety issue that need to be addressed and taken seriously by the operators/owners in Haukadal that are responsible for tourists and guests. This was apparently not the first time this happened.

I want to praise and thank the staff in Geysir souvenir shop that took immediate action and to the incredible swift response from the response medic team in the area that arrived only few minutes later, the ambulance team from the nearest hospital in Selfoss and to the helicopter team from the coast guard that happened to be in the area. They decided to land and fly our kids to a hospital in Reykjavik. The police also arrived very quickly.

I must say that I am incredible impressed with quick actions and the professional way this was handled.

Poor kids :(

Hope the kids have a speedy recovery.

By the way, it should be "scalded." When I read the title, it sounded like the geyser reprimanded the family because they were misbehaving.

Strax

Hope the kids have a speedy recovery.

By the way, it should be "scalded." When I read the title, it sounded like the geyser reprimanded the family because they were misbehaving.

Yeah I c/p from the video name and it looked ok at a glance, maybe a mod could change it for me.

zeemumu

Yeah the word should be scalded. Granted scalding is the geyser's way of scolding people for standing too close.

Guevara

I was there earlier in the year. It's kind of surprising (from an American's perspective) how close you can get, there are barely any signs or ropes at all. I much prefer that approach, but I can see how this kind of freak accident can happen.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can I have a mod title edit?

VIDEO

Poor kids :(

In hindsight I have come to the conclusion that this is a very serious safety issue that need to be addressed and taken seriously by the operators/owners in Haukadal that are responsible for tourists and guests. This was apparently not the first time this happened.

I do not know how I feel about this... its nature, you dont want to be throwing up fences or signs all around it. Not sure how one would make it "safer" its a Geyser.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Before coming into this thread, I 100% knew EXACTLY what geyser it was.

I've been here before on several occasions, and while I'm not suggesting that the video guy was exaggerating in any way, I never really knew the water was "boiling". Seems like bad luck :(

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I do not know how I feel about this... its nature, you dont want to be throwing up fences or signs all around it. Not sure how one would make it "safer" its a Geyser.

Quote from the guy who filmed it.

All tourists where outside the marked safety area

This was not supposed to happen and that is why all news agencies on Iceland are now investigating this.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
poor kids.

people should just be careful around the geyser.

Before coming into this thread, I 100% knew EXACTLY what geyser it was.
Isn't Strokkur like the only geyser that regularly erupts in iceland?

Irminsul

I was there earlier in the year. It's kind of surprising (from an American's perspective) how close you can get, there are barely any signs or ropes at all. I much prefer that approach, but I can see how this kind of freak accident can happen.
Well, even then... The best thing I did in Yellowstone was taking a shower when Beehive geyser erupted. So it's possible even there ;)

zeioIIDX

I mean...I for one wouldn't stand next to a pit that routinely blasts boiling water high into the sky. That's just me though. But for the people who enjoy that aspect of nature, I believe that sort of thing can be viewed just the same from a safer distance and the park staff or whichever should be privy to wind conditions as well.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Title should be edited to "scolded by a geezer"

If only there was a cranky old man nearby, they could have had such a headline.

"Family gets scalded by a geyser and scolded by a geezer!"

So many sensible chuckles would be had that day.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean...I for one wouldn't stand next to a pit that routinely blasts boiling water high into the sky. That's just me though. But for the people who enjoy that aspect of nature, I believe that sort of thing can be viewed just the same from a safer distance and the park staff or whichever should be privy to wind conditions as well.

I would if there was an area created deliberately to be safe, which is where they were standing. Basically it shouldn't be open during very windy days.

dh4niel

Don't stand next to the scalding water going up in the air. Lesson learned. It's clear in the video that the family are a lot closer than anyone else there.

I remember in America one winter when people were throwing boiling up in the air and trying to see it freeze in the air and getting scolded. People are dumb.

Wow I am in Iceland right now, just went to that geyser two days ago! What are the odds? Going up a mountain on saturday, still can't pronounce it. Hvanna something.

terrisus

If only there was a cranky old man nearby, they could have had such a headline.

"Family gets scalded by a geyser and scolded by a geezer!"

So many sensible chuckles would be had that day.

Just imagine if the person in charge of the area was an old person, who proceeded to yell at them for being there.

They were in what they were told was the safety zone.

And yet it's noted that it was a very windy day and they didn't think to themselves that perhaps they shouldn't be that close...

Hard to feel sorry for them or take anything they have to say about safety concerns seriously.

Griss

Wasn't sure if they were scalded by a geyser or scolded by some geezer. Sorry to see it's the former, for their sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom