• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I think this was a neighborhood watch guy who just happened to also carry a gun.

My understanding of neighborhood watch was it's an agreement among neighbors to watch out for each other's property and call the police if they see something suspicious.

Here I looked it up on Wikipedia:

Holy shit I thought Kitty Genovese was just in Watchmen.

she was also inspiration for that chase scene in halloween when JL Curtis is trying to get people to help her screaming her head off and no one on the block comes out .

Cipherr

Crump is the family's lawyer. Also confront does not mean start a fight.

Why are we so opposed to accepting that the article in the OP doesn't have enough information?

Comfront is where the wrong began. After that there is a bunch of stuff we cannot confirm. But of the things that happen that we know were wrong, this guy was not to confront the boy. That was wrong.

So many Europeans fucking up this thread.

Attack the argument, not the posters. If what he/she is saying is wrong, then discuss why.

This "Oh you XXX" stuff is worthless.

I don't think the people bringing up the very high gun death rates of the U.S.A are completely off-mark, but it is pretty clear that racism is a bigger overarching problem which has in this case been expressed through the gun problem the U.S.A has.

KHarvey16

Because he was a racist asshole who thinks all young black men are thugs.

Now, do you have any alternative explanation you would like to ACTUALLY discuss, or are you just going to make vague nonsensical posts about how "we don't know what happened" so that we don't blame this guy for confronting and shooting a kid with a pocket full of skittles?

And what is your vested interest in proving that race has nothing to do with this?

I don't have a vested interest in proving anything other than the idea that actually knowing things helps when attempting to make decisions.

You've made an assumption based on nothing.

Zoe

You know OP, a comma goes a long way for a title. Not trying to be a douche but I was really confused before reading the story.

You wouldn't put a comma in that title. At most, "Captain" should be in there after "Neighborhood Watch," but it's grammatically correct.

I don't think the people bringing up the very high gun death rates of the U.S.A are completely off-mark, but it is pretty clear that racism is a bigger overarching problem which has in this case been expressed through the gun problem the U.S.A has.

as someone said earlier you cant force people to not be racist but you can force them not to own (or at least carry) guns

Sure. And people get killed all the time from drunk drivers. I don't blame Smirnoff for the asshole who killed a friend of mine in highschool. I blame the asshole.

You should blame the asshole for drinking the Smirnoff and getting behind the wheel.

Just like I blame this asshole for having a gun on him and firing it.

I'm not really against guns. I'm just against carrying them in the street and shooting at people.

KHarvey16

Comfront is where the wrong began. After that there is a bunch of stuff we cannot confirm. But of the things that happen that we know were wrong, this guy was not to confront the boy. That was wrong.

Attack the argument, not the posters. If what he/she is saying is wrong, then discuss why.

This "Oh you XXX" stuff is worthless.

You cannot say a confrontation was wrong if you don't fucking know why he was confronted! Holy shit, how is this such a tough concept for people to understand? This started off as clearly a racist asshole shooting a boy because he didn't like the look of him. Then we discover that, holy shit!, there might be some details missing like, oh let's see, a witness describing the boy beating the man on the ground. Now those who began with assumptions have shifted to, "well, OBVIOUSLY the guy started the fight so he's still a racist asshole who should go to jail!" The complete lack of self awareness is astonishing.

Keep assuming. You and the rest are 0 for 1 thus far. We don't know enough.

Why do you assume there is more to the story than what is already presented?
There literally cannot possibly not be more to the story.

I know that's a double negative but that's how strongly I feel about the almost complete lack of information we, as a group, have at this point.

Log4Girlz

You cannot say a confrontation was wrong if you don't fucking know why he was confronted! Holy shit, how is this such a tough concept for people to understand? This started off as clearly a racist asshole shooting a boy because he didn't like the look of him. Then we discover that, holy shit!, there might be some details missing like, oh let's see, a witness describing the boy beating the man on the ground. Now those who began with assumptions have shifted to, "well, OBVIOUSLY the guy started the fight so he's still a racist asshole who should go to jail!" The complete lack of self awareness is astonishing.

"Without waiting for police to arrive, Crump said, Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, who was on the sidewalk near his home. By the time police got there, Trayvon was dead of a single gunshot to the chest."

What did the kid do that was so worthy of confrontation that he wouldn't wait for the police? I mean, if he did something truly suspicious, why not wait for the police?

Gun control debate in thread where it's obvious this occurred because of the man's racist assumptions. Thanks for the derail frankie_baby.

For the boy to be beating the man on the ground, he had to get out of his car and actually confront him. Sorry, he was wrong from the beginning. He is not the fucking police and is not allowed to follow and question any one he fucking likes.

KHarvey16

"Without waiting for police to arrive, Crump said, Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, who was on the sidewalk near his home. By the time police got there, Trayvon was dead of a single gunshot to the chest."

What did the kid do that was so worthy of confrontation that he wouldn't wait for the police? I mean, if he did something truly suspicious, why not wait for the police?

Again, Crump is the family's lawyer. You also are asking questions only to then assume the answers in order to make your argument.

KHarvey16

For the boy to be beating the man on the ground, he had to get out of his car and actually confront him. Sorry, he was wrong from the beginning. He is not the fucking police and is not allowed to follow and question any one he fucking likes.

Why did he get out of his car and confront him?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You wouldn't put a comma in that title. At most, "Captain" should be in there after "Neighborhood Watch," but it's grammatically correct.
Really? I read the title as the family of a Florida boy was murdered and that the neighborhood watch was seeking arrest.

i have failed

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wait, how is he not AT LEAST arrested?

What the fuck!?
So you know he confronted him and that it was simply because he looked suspicious. How do you know this?
Because all black people in gated communities look suspicious. Duh.

So, for a young black male walking home, who successfully defends himself against an armed stranger who followed and confronted him, its justifiable for him to be shot and killed.

Gun control debate in thread where it's obvious this occurred because of the man's racist assumptions. Thanks for the derail frankie_baby.

so what, it needed saying, if he hadnt had a gun the racist guy and mr martin would've had a bit of an altercation that'd be all, we wouldnt have heard of it and mr martin would've still been alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom