• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2009 Top 100 Sales Chart

ivysaur12

Banned
Dec 28, 2005
39,514
0
1,455
Regulus Tera said:
What's sad about this is that I think the platform is less at fault than Bandai Namco's stupid schedule of sandwiching it between New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Final Fantasy XIII. I mean, that was just idiotic.
I'm not sure if that necessarily would have made that much of a difference. Maybe it would be at 200k right now. Maybe.

It's sold around half of what Vesperia PS3 sold alone. Not to mention the way that the Radiant Mythology games have been selling on the PSP... yeah, definitely HD and PSP. Not sure if there's more that could be done to cultivate a larger market on the Wii for Tales games.

grandjedi6 said:
Its not going to sell all that much more, of course. Maybe if the game is lucky, bargin bin sales will let it pass Tempest's LTD numbers! :lol
It's tracking below Tempest? :lol :lol
 

jeremy1456

Junior Member
Jun 25, 2006
7,122
2
0
ivysaur12 said:
Tales is going HD and PSP. No question about that now.
Poor sales of the DS games didn't cause them to abandon the platform.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another Wii game from Team Destiny.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
grandjedi6 said:
Its not going to sell all that much more, of course. Maybe if the game is lucky, bargin bin sales will let it pass Tempest's LTD numbers! :lol
It'll be awfully close. I think they shipped about 200-210k in total. If they start giving the game out free sometime later this year, it might crawl to that eventually, but it'll never get another shipment ever, that's for sure. If they shipped less than 205k, then it's not going to beat Tempest, no matter what happens.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
jeremy1456 said:
Poor sales of the DS games didn't cause them to abandon the platform.
Oh really? When's the next one coming out? :p
They had Tempest, Innocence and Hearts in 2006, 2007 and 2008, but nothing in 2009, and nothing announced for the future either.
 

Firestorm

Member
Feb 2, 2006
33,832
0
0
Vancouver, BC
nuggetbridge.com
Nov 26, 2006
24,196
2
0
goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com
Michan said:
Does anybody have last year's top 100 for comparison?
How about better yet, the Top 500? :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363548

Firestorm said:
Just wondering, but how much do you think #33 and #39 on Japan sell in a week?
Well, the week ending on Dec 27th at number 39, it sold around 13,000. So I estimate that with it at number 33, it may have sold around 16-18,000, closer to 16,000 most likely.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
Jonnyram said:
Oh really? When's the next one coming out? :p
They had Tempest, Innocence and Hearts in 2006, 2007 and 2008, but nothing in 2009, and nothing announced for the future either.
I think Hearts is definitely the straw which broke the camel's back. With Tempest and Innocence, there was still an "excuse" that they were either outsourced, or bad, or both. With Tales of Hearts they put an internal Tales Studio team on it, it's definitely a mainline Tales game, excellent production values, etc. It sold the same as the 2 games before it, which pretty much confirms what they already suspected.

Same with Tales of Graces, they decided to put a core team on the game, give it their all, and released it to see if it would make any impact at all. Nope, no impact, no one cares. No one can fault Namco for not actually trying to give all platforms a chance when it comes to Tales this generation. Well, except the PSP, but it seems Tales fans are happy with what they're getting on the PSP anyway.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Feb 22, 2007
37,669
0
0
Hero of Legend said:
Umm, Japan Game Charts has Tempest at 205,541. If it holds up this week, Graces should pass it already. Let's see how it does in this week's Media Create.
"hold up this week"? Dude it was #33 last thread. And from here on out overall sales will be dropping since the holiday is over. Plus, Vinnk has reported used copies appearing in stores. The game's sales potential is done, over with, nada.

duckroll said:
It'll be awfully close. I think they shipped about 200-210k in total. If they start giving the game out free sometime later this year, it might crawl to that eventually, but it'll never get another shipment ever, that's for sure. If they shipped less than 205k, then it's not going to beat Tempest, no matter what happens.
Too bad we don't know exact shipment numbers, though as long as people report new copies littering store floors I think we can assume it won't make that 205k goal.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
duckroll said:
No one can fault Namco for not actually trying to give all platforms a chance when it comes to Tales this generation. Well, except the PSP, but it seems Tales fans are happy with what they're getting on the PSP anyway.
I'd agree with ivysaur12. I think it's gonna end up PS3/360 and PSP from now on.
 

Moor-Angol

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
4,504
2
0
45
Japan
retrogamesheaven.com
Dragona Akehi said:
That would be because Mario Galaxy was released in 2007, not 2009. :p
Galaxy could have a chance to hit 2009 top500, iirc last data we had are from 2009 first half

Thanks cvxfreak for posting the chart, the last week is the one ending on 27th Dec, correct ?
 

Kishgal

Banned
Nov 25, 2009
897
0
0
Gravijah said:
Maybe they should retire the Shin Megami Tensei name and pretend everything is just Persona now.
Also, maybe Nintendo should just call Zelda "Pokemon" since that name seems to do so much better.

SMT has nothing to do with personas.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
Hero of Legend said:
Well, the week ending on Dec 27th at number 39, it sold around 13,000. So I estimate that with it at number 33, it may have sold around 16-18,000, closer to 16,000 most likely.
Haha. The week ending on Dec 27th had the #10 game selling 63k, while the week after that has the #10 game selling 43k. You might want to adjust your numbers. It most likely sold under 10k, even if it's "higher" on the ranking itself. :lol
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Based on what I'm looking at, it actually seems as if Graces will surpass 200K soon.

Graces failed to make the top 30 for the two week period, but #30 sold 32K.

Hold your horses, guys.
 

hteng

Banned
Aug 13, 2007
7,475
0
0
Firestorm said:
I'll be pretty damn happy if Tales goes HD for main series and PSP for spin-offs moving forward. I need a nice prettyful celshaded Tales game again before this generation is over.
i'd prefer a HD Tales with 2D HD sprites, go team destiny!
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
hteng said:
wii fit and sport, what the hell is wrong with you Japan?!?>!
I don't really see what the problem is with things outside of our interest group selling very well. Obviously Nintendo targeted people who aren't normally into games, and there are certainly a lot more of them than there are actual gamers who enjoy videogames as a hobby. So it's not surprising that when they're successful at tapping into that market they sell a lot. These sales certainly don't eat into the sales of "real" games either.

Getting angry at casual titles selling well is just as stupid as waving them as some sort of victory flag just because they're on a console you happen to champion. Hint hint. :)
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
I think the only chance of there being more 2D Tales games would be either if they decide to make another DS one, or they decide to make an original one for the PSP. Even then, I don't think they'll bother with 2D on the PSP.
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
32
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't mind if Team Destiny stays in 3D if they keep changing things up, I just want Namco to hire some more monster designers. It'd be nice if they could give each team a different composer too.
 

hteng

Banned
Aug 13, 2007
7,475
0
0
duckroll said:
I don't really see what the problem is with things outside of our interest group selling very well. Obviously Nintendo targeted people who aren't normally into games, and there are certainly a lot more of them than there are actual gamers who enjoy videogames as a hobby. So it's not surprising that when they're successful at tapping into that market they sell a lot. These sales certainly don't eat into the sales of "real" games either.

Getting angry at casual titles selling well is just as stupid as waving them as some sort of victory flag just because they're on a console you happen to champion. Hint hint. :)
it's the direction im concern that developers will follow after seeing the numbers, Wii deserves more sales on the core games (actual games!), if not it'll always be seen by the majority as a kiddy/casual console.
 

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Feb 22, 2007
37,669
0
0
Firestorm said:
Would love that too, although last Team Destiny game was 3D so who knows =(
We would never get such a game outside of Japan! Hell, it remains to be seen if we'll get 3D Destiny (probably will).

Edit: Just realized, is this the first year we're going into without an announced Tales title set for release?
Well there was that rumor/news that Namco planned on cutting back their yearly Tales of releases, though that might have just been refering to cutting out the Wii and DS releases :lol
 
Jonnyram said:
Sup yo, it's the inevitable third parties on PS3 and Wii post.

5. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 1,698,256
15. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (Sega) - 509,223
16. [PS3] Biohazard 5 (Capcom) - 508,959
23. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 377,340
25. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) - 337,783
46. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Bandai Namco) - 233,473
48. [PS3] Warriors Orochi Z (Koei) - 221,718
61. [PS3] BAYONETTA (Sega) - 196,150
73. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco) - 170,150
77. [PS3] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix) - 164,619
81. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 157,704
85. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (Koei) - 146,520
93. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 6 (Konami) - 134,910

8. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 968,033
21. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco) - 390,416 / 641,599
44. [WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 236,020
55. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Bandai Namco) - 209,083
58. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 205,370
70. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco) - 177,925
88. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 139,093 / 254,144
99. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 (Hudson) - 125,494

In particular:
25. [PS3] Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) - 337,783
70. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco) - 177,925

48. [PS3] Warriors Orochi Z (Koei) - 221,718
58. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 205,370
85. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (Koei) - 146,520
I thought I would extend this to all platforms for the heck of it, but just in numbers:

NDS: 41
WII: 20
PSP: 19
PS3: 15
PS2: 3
360: 2

---

First Party:
NDS: 16*
WII: 12
PSP: 2
PS3: 2
PS2: 0
360: 0

Third Party:
NDS: 25
WII: 8
PSP: 17
PS3: 13
PS2: 3
360: 2

*I counted Pokemon as first party, but Mario & Sonic as third party despite Nintendo publishing it in the region.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Generally 2009 was a good year (for top selling titles).

Famitsu top 100 sales

1996: 32.534.114
1997: 38.517.623
1998: 39.949.663
1999: 46.330.550
2000: 37.478.917
2001: 32.101.893
2002: 32.986.093
2003: 33.245.068
2004: 35.667.363
2005: 32.682.597
2006: 51.408.345
2007: 45.584.604
2008: 39.553.599
2009: 41.748.547
 

TheShampion

Member
Mar 12, 2009
2,124
0
0
cvxfreak said:
I find it ironic that 1996 has the second lowest number on that chart in spite of being the year Pokemon came out.
Its like a tsunami, right before the wave hits, the water becomes shallow.
 

ZoddGutts

Member
Jul 18, 2009
9,230
3
685
Los Angeles
Nirolak said:
I thought I would extend this to all platforms for the heck of it, but just in numbers:

NDS: 41
WII: 20
PSP: 19
PS3: 15
PS2: 3
360: 2

---

First Party:
NDS: 16*
WII: 12
PSP: 2
PS3: 2
PS2: 0
360: 0

Third Party:
NDS: 25
WII: 8
PSP: 17
PS3: 13
PS2: 3
360: 2

*I counted Pokemon as first party, but Mario & Sonic as third party despite Nintendo publishing it in the region.
Might as well count Demon Souls than. :p
 

Rpgmonkey

Member
Sep 29, 2007
6,794
0
0
Huh, Vesperia beat out RM2.

Wasn't expecting it to ever go that high a couple months ago.

Firestorm said:
Edit: Just realized, is this the first year we're going into without an announced Tales title set for release?
Graces was kept in the dark until its formal announcement in Spring 2009 as well, unless you count...whatever the heck they were doing with it. Don't think it was really a "trend" until after Innocence however, I think the games after Abyss (December 2005) and RM1 (December 2006) weren't announced until several months later.

But 2008 seems to be the result of an "overload" and was a total mess. Based on interviews and the usual development style of the series, they had like 6-8 Tales games in development at once from 2006-2007. They probably didn't really know what to do with them all, so they just started announcing and releasing stuff one after (even before, lol) the other.

2009 was a lot slower (for Tales anyway) and 2010 appears to be following suit, so I think they've learned their lesson after that mess.
 

t3nmilez

Member
Jul 23, 2008
489
0
730
Good god, Love Plus kept on going after dropping out of the charts. Insane that it made it to almost 200k considering what the 1st week was, talk about having great word of mouth.
 
Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,340
cvxfreak said:
Top 10 Budget Games:

1. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G PSP The Best (Capcom) - 911,497 / 1,110,614 (3,563,746)
2. [PS3] Call of Duty 4 (Square Enix) - 96,913 (210,870)
3. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 PS3 The Best (SCE) - 92,580 / 101,201 (511,253)
4. [360] Ace Combat 6 Platinum Collection (Bandai Namco) - 89,300 / 131,180 (226,182)
5. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles PS3 The Best (Sega) - 82,744 (224,333)
6. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories Best Price (Capcom) - 76,800 (157,220)
7. [360] Beautiful Katamari Platinum Collection (Bandai Namco) - 74,166 / 115,658 (140,617)
8. [PSP] Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 PSP The Best (SCE) - 71,623 (358,919)
9. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots PS3 The Best (Konami) - 64,714 (770,486)
10. [NDS] Puyo Puyo! Special Price (Sega) - 62,416 / 143,404 (448,022)
Added in bold the totals with original releases.
 

Datschge

Member
Sep 23, 2006
5,149
0
1,150
Firestorm said:
Edit: Just realized, is this the first year we're going into without an announced Tales title set for release?
Well, there is the Keroro RPG dated for March 4th. NBGI may actually have taken note of all the sales and decided to stop spamming Tales games and instead spams games containing Tales gameplay from now on. *shrugs*
 

Orgen

Member
Aug 4, 2005
2,174
0
1,125
I've always wondered why there's no Brain Training 3 in sight...

Sure BT & BT 2 don't have the legs of Animal Crossing DS and New Super Mario Bros anymore (seeing this Famitsu Top 100) but they sold very well (3.5m and 5m more or less, right?)

Could it be a launch title for the DS2? Is there still demand for Training games in Japan?
 

wRATH2x

Banned
Dec 15, 2008
7,910
0
0
I always wanted to know, what is generally considered a success in Japan?

Like the Japanese equivalent of 1 million in America.
 

Road

Member
Jan 21, 2008
7,602
0
0
Brazil
sites.google.com
Franchises in the top 100:

01. Mario - 4.568.735
02. Pokemon - 4.498.955
03. Dragon Quest - 4.100.968
04. Wii ___ - 3.865.786
05. Final Fantasy - 2.391.117
06. Monster Hunter - 2.115.550
07. Inazuma Eleven - 1.110.888
08. Tales of - 1.064.789
09. Gundam - 1.062.149
10. Winning Eleven - 867.472
11. Taiko Drum Master - 806.279
12. Professor Layton - 766.559
13. Dynasty Warriors - 752.574
14. Resident Evil - 632.776
15. Animal Crossing - 570.257
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Wrath2X said:
I always wanted to know, what is generally considered a success in Japan?

Like the Japanese equivalent of 1 million in America.
300K.

And just in case someone was going to take this seriously, 300K is a long-running joke as the demarcation line between success and failure in MC threads.
 

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mar 18, 2007
6,033
0
995
Orgen said:
I've always wondered why there's no Brain Training 3 in sight...

Sure BT & BT 2 don't have the legs of Animal Crossing DS and New Super Mario Bros anymore (seeing this Famitsu Top 100) but they sold very well (3.5m and 5m more or less, right?)

Could it be a launch title for the DS2? Is there still demand for Training games in Japan?
Because this generation Nintendo learned when to bail out. If they continued releasing the games, they would burn the franchise and ruin future profits.

Think about it, they haven't released more of these games, nor another Nintendogs. Even Mario Party suffered this fate.

Now in the industry every single training game, animal game and compilations of mini games released are considered by the general public as shit and they are not buying them anymore, but because Nintendo bailed out, all of those franchises they own are safe and ready to sell more millions in the next generation of hardware adding new ways to control them.

Third parties who didn't bail out in time ruined their franchises and now they are worth nothing. See the difference in sales of many once popular titles (Deca Sports, Raving Rabbids even Mario and Sonic) with their sequels and you will have your answer.

Nintendo is doing the smart thing, getting out of markets that are getting saturated (many: Light gun games, mini games compilations, brain training games, animal simulators, etc).

Also, Nintendo abandoned the DS a long time ago and the development for it is minimal at this time (but yeah, as a Nintendo fanboy I'm still waiting for Metroid Dread, Smash Bros DS, New Zelda 2, New Fire Emblem DS, etc...)
 

Oxx

Member
Oct 9, 2005
12,534
0
0
donny2112 said:
300K.

And just in case someone was going to take this seriously, 300K is a long-running joke as the demarcation line between success and failure in MC threads.
Wasn't that just for DS games? Or was that rule applied across the entire market?