• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2009 Top 100 Sales Chart

Busaiku

duckroll said:
Or maybe they should have shipped enough SJ so it could sell, and actually bother to have a second shipment! Maybe! @*&%^(##$ :(
Didn't 7th Dragon have pronounced shipment problems as well?
Strange Journey probably did get a second shipment though (going by first day numbers, the initial shipment was estimated to be about 113k, so the first week was only 80.5% sell through), but it was already done by then.

It also seems as though New Super Mario Bros is on track to outsell Diamond/Pearl.
It might be able to do it by the end of Spring, since New Super Mario Bros Wii certainly gave it a decent boost.

cvxfreak said:
92. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training (Nintendo) - 139,619 / 561,891
;-)

cvxfreak said:
Company Software Sales Breakdown:

1. Nintendo: 14,400,000
2. Square Enix: 8,590,000
3. Bandai Namco: 7,590,000
4. Pokemon: 4,730,000
5. Konami: 4,660,000

Nintendo: - 24.6 %
Square-Enix: + 112.8 %
Namco Bandai: - 11.3 %
Pokémon Company: + 35.6 %
Konami: - 7.6 %

m01g03.png

Best sales for new IP (released in 2009)
1. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 2,311,948
2. [NDS] Sloane and McHale's Mystery Story (Level 5) - 201,043
3. [PS3] BAYONETTA (Sega) - 196,150
4. [NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 192,207
5. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Sega) - 173,834 (maybe...)
6. [PS3] Demon Souls (SCE) - 159,278
7. [NDS] Seventh Dragon (Sega) - 137,857

Last year (from the top 100 only)
1. [NDS] Style Savvy (Nintendo) - 549,348
2. [NDS] Calligraphy Training (Nintendo) - 425,272
3. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 323,882
4. [WII] Sports Island (Hudson Soft.) - 241,701
5. [NDS] Fossil Fighters (Nintendo) - 240,176
6. [NDS] Enchanted Folk & School of Wizardry (Konami) 233,449
7. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level-5) - 229,011
8. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (Sony) - 203,033
9. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy DS (Konami) - 175,636
10. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai (Konami) - 154,987
11. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) 141,589

(for the people who speak french, my software account)

Anybody know if we'll have the software unit sales by platform?

onken

duckroll said:
No one can fault Namco for not actually trying to give all platforms a chance when it comes to Tales this generation. Well, except the PSP, but it seems Tales fans are happy with what they're getting on the PSP anyway.

I don't think PS3 has a had a fair go yet, it's had one year-old port released in 3 years. The fact that ToV has been the best selling Tales game since the PS2 days is really beside the point :)

I realized that FF13 + RE5 + Yakuza 3 outsold all Wii 3rd party games combined (Pokepark included), and all PS3 3rd party games sold almost the double compared to Wii ones (5,12M vs 2,69M).

I wonder if developers also made this comparison...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:
I realized that FF13 + RE5 + Yakuza 3 outsold all Wii 3rd party games combined (Pokepark included), and all PS3 3rd party games sold almost the double compared to Wii ones (5,12M vs 2,69M).

I wonder if developers also made this comparison...

Yeah, because that's like a totally equal and fair comparison to make.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
And DQX will outsell those three combined. Such comparisons are meaningless.

Games should not be invoked in sales discussions prior to the release of a single screen shot or piece of information, let alone a release date.

ReyBrujo

Jokeropia said:
And DQX will outsell those three combined. Such comparisons are meaningless.
Why go so far? DQIX outsold those three games mentioned. Maybe all third parties should just make games for the DS?

schuelma

ReyBrujo said:
Why go so far? DQIX outsold those three games mentioned. Maybe all third parties should just make games for the DS?

They basically already do.

Oxx

It's not as if Japanese developers were rushing to make games for the Wii when it was at the peak of its powers in Japan.

Firestorm

Oxx said:
It's not as if Japanese developers were rushing to make games for the Wii when it was at the peak of its powers in Japan.
Developers are different. They're the creative people. They want the system that can best create their visions. Publishers and shareholders want it on the system that will make them the most money.

Oxx

I probably should have put 'Publishers' rather than 'Developers'.

It still matters little, the Wii is and will continue to be below the DS, PSP, and PS3 in terms of third-party priority.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Games should not be invoked in sales discussions prior to the release of a single screen shot or piece of information, let alone a release date.
I disagree. I don't need any of those things to confidently predict that it will sell more than 3 million.
onken said:
If DQX actually makes it to Wii, and that's a pretty fucking big if.
There's a chance it might be for DS (though Wii is still the most likely option), but it doesn't really matter as the point is that it's a game itself that determines what it will sell moreso than the platform it's on.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
I disagree. I don't need any of those things to confidently predict that it will sell more than 3 million.

The point is that the game is a complete irrelevancy at this stage. It may not even come out until after the Wii 2 and PS4 are on store shelves, if it comes out on the Wii. This is a series that has shifted consoles mid-development in the past, and it's a series that has seen a generation's entries not arrive until well into the next generation, too.

Bringing it up as a talking point to counter the success third party games are seeing on the PS3 really offers nothing whatsoever to the discussion. Yes, Dragon Quest X will sell very well. But there's really no standing to mention the game in a sales thread at this time.

Eteric Rice

Regulus Tera said:
Goddamn Graces bombed hard. :(

I still think releasing it a week before FFXIII was a really, really bad idea.

I also don't think it's the last Tales Wii, since I think Nintendo owns part of Bandai Namco. Not sure, though. Definately going to be a new HD tales, though. Which is good, I loved Vesperia.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Bringing it up as a talking point to counter the success third party games are seeing on the PS3 really offers nothing whatsoever to the discussion. Yes, Dragon Quest X will sell very well. But there's really no standing to mention the game in a sales thread at this time.
Again, I disagree and I explained why in my last post.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
Again, I disagree and I explained why in my last post.

Well, I know you disagree, but that's because having talking points is more important to you than anything else.

You want to play the same "Wait for X" game that deluded and desperate PS3 fanboys played for the first two years of their system's existence, and that's cool; whatever gets your rocks off. It still doesn't make Dragon Quest X a relevant counterpoint in 2010.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Well, I know you disagree, but that's because having talking points is more important to you than anything else.

You want to play the same "Wait for X" game that deluded and desperate PS3 fanboys played for the first two years of their system's existence, and that's cool; whatever gets your rocks off. It still doesn't make Dragon Quest X a relevant counterpoint in 2010.
This has got nothing to do with anything I was saying. Do I have to repeat my point?

Effect

The Tales situation could really be a case of them putting them out far to many to often. Other then story they really are all the same game for the most part. It's the same problem with EA and it's sport games. The annual or seemingly annual release could be hurting the series. You don't have that with Final Fantasy. Well you didn't however with this project they are doing they could very well run the risk of putting FF in the same spot the Tales series is. Dragon Quest does as well as it does I think because of the wait between the games. There needs to be a break for the Tales series, a several year break.

Cipherr

ethelred said:

Actually his point was that the comparisons being made were pretty meaningless. Had nothing to do with Wait for X or talking points, I think you glossed over what he posted a little to quickly. He wasnt trying to come to the defense of anyone there.

ethelred

Puncture said:
Actually his point was that the comparisons being made were pretty meaningless. Had nothing to do with Wait for X or talking points, I think you glossed over what he posted a little to quickly. He wasnt trying to come to the defense of anyone there.

Oh, I understood perfectly well, and he was trying to make a point in defense of the Wii. Moor Angol's statement, a direct comparison of the sales certain third party PS3 games have seen in 2009 versus the sales of the Wii's third party games in 2009, is relevant. Sure, they are established series, but they are games that have come out, sold copies (quite a few copies!), established a presence in the marketplace, and have yielded profits to their publishers. And Moor Angol's question ("is this success something other third parties are taking note of?") is also a relevant commentary in the context of a 2009 sales thread.

Simply evoking the words "Dragon Quest X," a game that is not relevant in any sales discussion in 2009 or 2010, doesn't brush any of that aside, and it doesn't invalidate the points that Moor Angol was making. And the potential future existence of another game doesn't make comparisons of existing games and their sales meaningless.

schuelma

ethelred said:
And Moor Angol's question ("is this success something other third parties are taking note of?") is also a relevant commentary in the context of a 2009 sales thread.

I somewhat disagree that his statement alone is all that relevant. Put another way, he is asking if 3rd parties took note of *Final Fantasy* and 2 other major franchises outselling Monster Hunter and a few other lower tiered franchises. What at all about that statement is noteworthy?

I think a statement about Tales of Graces compared to Tales of Vesperia holds a lot more relevance and interest in my opinion.

ethelred

schuelma said:
I somewhat disagree that his statement alone is all that relevant. Put another way, he is asking if 3rd parties took note of *Final Fantasy* and 2 other major franchises outselling Monster Hunter and a few other lower tiered franchises. What at all about that statement is noteworthy?

Setting aside that Monster Hunter 3 is not in any way an insignificant release, and setting aside that there were quite a few other releases that were expected to do well beforehand (surely, schuemla, you remember your own statements five or so months ago heralding the Wii's holiday lineup as the strongest it had yet seen from third parties by far?), you don't find it relevant or noteworthy for publishers to see that the PS3's current state in Japan is such that with significant releases they can still rake in sales nearly as strong as what they were able to achieve on the PS2 despite the successor console's early struggles with establishing a foothold in the market?

schuelma said:
I think a statement about Tales of Graces...

"All third party games combined" is inclusive of Tales of Graces, so he was indirectly making a statement about that game as well.

schuelma

ethelred said:
Setting aside that Monster Hunter 3 is not in any way an insignificant release, and setting aside that there were quite a few other releases that were expected to do well beforehand (surely, schuemla, you remember your own statements five or so months ago heralding the Wii's holiday lineup as the strongest it had yet seen from third parties by far?), you don't find it relevant or noteworthy for publishers to see that the PS3's current state in Japan is such that with significant releases they can still rake in sales nearly as strong as what they were able to achieve on the PS2 despite the successor console's early struggles with establishing a foothold in the market?

My point is that with how much FF13 has sold (which I think in some degree is a credit to the PS3 revitalization, no question), I don't think any disappointment in any Wii 3rd party game would have changed his quote. If Tales of Graces sells 300K instead of 200K, does that really change the ratio to any real extent? Does SW3 selling 50K more change things? In other words, the Wii's third party lineup, though better than what it previous had, was never going to compete with FF13, RE5, and Yakuza. Never.

ethelred said:
(surely, schuemla, you remember your own statements five or so months ago heralding the Wii's holiday lineup as the strongest it had yet seen from third parties by far?)

Ooh burn! Of course, that statement ended up being pretty accurate. In November and December 2009 you had 4 titles that have or will cross 200K, and another this week that could reach that mark.

For a comparison, the Wii had 8 previous titles that reached that threshold in the first 3 years of the Wii's lifetime

Of course, if you want to talk about incorrect holiday 2009 predictions, we could go back to the NSMB Wii discussion. Even the best of us miss occasionally.

Edit- I would add that this is dependent on FF13 doing as well as it did- it just totally skews everything. If it had done as poorly as some had thought, then my opinion would change a bit.

ethelred

schuelma said:
My point is that with how much FF13 has sold (which I think in some degree is a credit to the PS3 revitalization, no question), I don't think any disappointment in any Wii 3rd party game would have changed his quote. If Tales of Graces sells 300K instead of 200K, does that really change the ratio to any real extent? Does SW3 selling 50K more change things? In other words, the Wii's third party lineup, though better than what it previous had, was never going to compete with FF13, RE5, and Yakuza. Never.

Never? I'm not so sure. It's fairly easy to imagine an alternate world where the PS3 software situation did not markedly improve, resulting in underperformances for games like FF13 and RE5, and where the Wii software situation was much healthier, resulting in bolstered sales for Samurai Warriors and Crystal Bearers and Tales of Graces and Monster Hunter G/3 and Taiko 2 and a host of other games (the entire third party lineup for the year is, after all, quite a few games, even if most of them lack the cachet of FF13). That is not, obviously, the world we live in, and I don't think it's so out of order for someone to simply point out how well those three games alone did in relation to the entirety of the nearest competing system's third party lineup.

As you acknowledge, the 2.5 million collectively pulled in by these three largely rests on the strong performance FF13 managed to achieve. That it's now on the cusp of hitting 2 million is an achievement given that many questioned if it'd ever even do something like 1.3.

schuelma said:
Of course, if you want to talk about incorrect holiday 2009 predictions, we could go back to the NSMB Wii discussion. Even the best of us miss occasionally.

Oh, yeah, I was a little bit off on that one. :lol

schuelma

ethelred said:
As you acknowledge, the 2.5 million collectively pulled in by these three largely rests on the strong performance FF13 managed to achieve. That it's now on the cusp of hitting 2 million is an achievement given that many questioned if it'd ever even do something like 1.3.

I don't remember many serious posters predicting it to go that low- IIRC the general consensus was above 1.5M but below 2M. Of course, its going to hit the higher end of that prediction.

And I'll concede that there was certainly the potential for the comparison to be somewhat different if FF13 had bombed and a few Wii 3rd party games had done better..especially Crystal Bearers. I stand by my opinion that on balance the PS3 was going to handily win that comparison 99 times out of 100.

uhm... maybe i should have written

"PS3 third party games, excluding FF13, Yakuza 3 and RE5 sold similar to all Wii 3rd party games, considering Wii had some blockbuster as MH3, Taiko 2 and SW3"...

This statement is more indicative about how much games sold on both platforms ?
Since N64 times, people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo platforms, not caring so much about other games. This happened also on the GC and now with the Wii, despite its incredibile success in sales and popularity.
Nintendo games are setting new records in term of sales, something that doesn't happen for other games.
I don't accept something like "well, Wii had poor titles from other developers" cause when a system has 8-9 million units sold over the country, sales should be high. Just take a look about how many PS2 titles sold more than 200k in the first 3 years on the market.

Nintendo surely expanded the market, but just for their sales. And when people say "let's wait for Dragon Quest X" i just start thinking about how many 3rd party games are coming in Q1 2010 for Wii and PS3...

I would like to hear an opinion from someone who lives in Japan since long time to understand how Nintendo systems are seen from japanese people, the feeling they have and which are the differences from Super Famicom and current times.

Neomoto

Moor-Angol said:
Since N64 times, people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo platforms, not caring so much about other games. This happened also on the GC and now with the Wii, despite its incredibile success in sales and popularity.
Nintendo games are setting new records in term of sales, something that doesn't happen for other games.
I don't accept something like "well, Wii had poor titles from other developers" cause when a system has 8-9 million units sold over the country, sales should be high. Just take a look about how many PS2 titles sold more than 200k in the first 3 years on the market.

Nintendo surely expanded the market, but just for their sales.
DS proves you wrong.

Yes it's likely that in 99 out of the 100 cases people buy the hardware for first party DS titles, but Japanese 3rd parties have also thrived on the platform. Including with mega hits like DQ IX.
3rd parties in general have also had a lot of million sellers on Wii, not in Japan but overseas they do. When one takes a look at the titles released in Japan and overseas it becomes clear why.

Also, if people ONLY buy Nintendo games for Nintendo platforms, where were those people during past generations? DS userbase didn't grow 2.5 TIMES as much as the GBA out of thin air. Neither did Wii's when compared to both the N64 and GC. Seems to me the same people did not care as much for Nintendo's past games, but they care about Wii Fit, Wii Sports, the promise of "Wii gaming" (but apparently also for Mario Kart, NSMB) etc. These weren't considered Nintendo games (except Mario Kart, NSMB) so that says something about Nintendo's uncanny competence to cater to new demographics where others fail. Now, these people DO know what "Nintendo games" are. They now recognize the brand names (Wii, DS, Nintendo, Mario, (Brain) Training etc, including the consistent ad commercials), retailer employees advice customers to buy first party Nintendo games, etc.

Nintendo have grown it's fanbase by dozens of millions of people. Not just breaking but completely shattering industry records left and right in every region (including their own). On DS Japanese third parties in general tried with great games catered to the demographics (most likely because of confirmed significant support of Square Enix and such) and they thrived in a lot of cases finding a lot of succes. On the Wii they didn't try, except for maybe a handful of exceptions (nor did the system had confirmed big support from Square Enix and such). Failing to cater to a changing market is nobody's but your own damn fault. You can't "blame" the enormous pool of new found "ignorant" customers for seemingly buying only Nintendo games in droves instead of your own random title few people have most likely even heard of.

C.T.

onken said:
If DQX actually makes it to Wii, and that's a pretty fucking big if.

Like Dragon Quest IX jumped ships when the psp sold better than DS, right? Cmon, this isn't the N64 were talking about.

schuelma

Moor-Angol said:

Yes, its really that simple.

schuelma said:
Yes, its really that simple.

In fact, it is always the same discussion:

Third parties sold very well on PS3 and very less on Wii (because of the strength of Nintendo software).

Jonnyram said:
48. [PS3] Warriors Orochi Z (Koei) - 221,718
58. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 205,370
85. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires (Koei) - 146,520

cvxfreak said:
Actually, Samurai Warriors 3 is ahead of Orochi Z in the Top 30. (227,154)

Oh wait... WTF?

Orochi Z is an updated rerelease of two old games.

If SW3 was losing to Orochi Z then the Wii is even more of a shithole for 3rd parties then the current reality.

Kunan

I wonder if Square's going to even more deeply entrench itself in DS development if FF13 sales don't go past 12's. It will make bank, but is it worth the multiple years of huge team commitments and soaring development costs? Between DQ9 and KH this year and the million selling DQ and FF ports the past few years (along with their new IPs), it seems to be their biggest market and best financial bet.

Bananakin

It might be interesting to see how many previous-year releases are on the list (ie, how many 2008 titles are there, how many 2007 titles, etc). The fact that Mario Kart DS is on there despite being a 2005 release is pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom