• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu charts for 12.25 to 12.31 are out

marvelharvey said:
Well, today is yet another national holiday.
Today is another holiday in Japan...?

Edit: I just checked Wikipedia, he's right:
Second Monday of January Coming-of-Age Day
成人の日 (Seijin no hi)
:
All people who turn 20 this year are celebrated on this national holiday. Cities and towns hold ceremonies, often with addresses by prominent members of the community. Many of these ceremonies serve alcoholic beverages, which are the privilege of adults. Disorderly conduct has led some cities to curtail these ceremonies. Until 2000, Coming-of-Age Day always fell on January 15th.

cvxfreak

Square2005 said:
OKAY!!!

...just for the plural form.
:D

edit: How can you not say famitsoo/famitsu (isn't pronounced the same)?
You mean type famitsoo...

Famitsu = ファミ通
Famitsoo = ファミつぉお/ファミつぉう

marvelharvey said:
Well, today is yet another national holiday.

Damn, didn't take this into account a few days ago.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
cvxfreak said:
Famitsu = ファミ通
Famitsoo = ファミつぉお/ファミつぉう

Damn, didn't take this into account a few days ago.

That is more like FAMITSUOHHHHH and FAMITSUOU

We are also still in the New Years holiday in Japan!
Here's an explanation of the events held during the New Years holiday:
Wikipedia said:
First half of January Japanese New Year

正月 (Shōgatsu) or
お正月 (Oshōgatsu)
January 1 stands at the beginning of Japan's most important holiday season. Japanese call this season shōgatsu or o-shōgatsu. The term may refer to January 1–3, 1–7, or 1–20. Historically, shogatsu was a name for January. January 1 is a national holiday, ganjitsu. Visitors flock to Buddhist temples, some of which ring the bells just as the holiday begins, once for each of the sins. Many people travel to temples or scenic places to watch the year's first sunrise. The post office delivers the greeting cards that Japanese people write in such great numbers on January 1. Traditional decorations include kadomatsu, displays featuring auspicious symbols of pine and bamboo, in a pair flanking the door or gate. Inside the home, a kagami mochi adorns the altar or the tokonoma. The kagami mochi includes layers of a rice cake topped with a daidai, a citrus fruit with an auspicious name. Mochi also feature prominently in zōni, the vegetable soup of the holidays. Families eat special seasonal food, osechi, which they prepare during the closing days of December so that they will not have to cook too much over the holidays. Karuta, a card game involving the waka poems of the Hyakunin Isshu, is a traditional pastime during the New Year holidays in addition to doing brain training, which typically last several days into January.

Nick

Why Animal Crossing stays in the top 10, I will never know. The GCN game is pretty much my favorite title of all time, but by God did I hate the DS version. Whatevs.

These numbers are pretty amazing either way. How the DS does it... *shrugs*. Nintendo has done a complete turn around. I applaud them.

Maybe this will tied us over until we begin getting some real numbers:
FYI: These nos. are not national figures but from only one chain!

Traditionally THE BIGGEST SALES WEEK IN JAPAN:
Code:
[b][U]COMGNET raw:[/U] [/B]                
                           [U]Week beginning 1/1/07 vs. Last Week:[/U]
1  New Super Mario Bros.	      313       165
2  Animal Forest DS	                      230       119
3  Kirby Star DS	                      230       109
4  Mario Kart DS	                      227        91
5  Wii Sports	                      195       215 
6  Wii Play	                                      179       226
7  Pocket Monster Dimand	      170        99
8  Yakuza (TEH BEST)                       154       184
9  Pocket Monster Purl	      147        81
10 Common Sense for Adults (?)       135        99
11 Love & Berry DS Collection	      118       off chart
12 Yakuza 2	                      111       122
13 Seiken Densetsu 4	                        95       165
14 One of them Brain Trainers	        90       111 
15 Tamagotchi のプチプチおみせっ...      88       off chart
16 Mario Basket 3 on 3 (!!!)	        85       off chart
17 JUMP Ultimate Stars	        83       off chart
[B]18 DraQue Monsters ~ Joker	        80       1449[/B]
19 Another one of them Brain Trainers 80       79
20 Made in Wario wii	                        79       73
                                   TOP20 Total:  2,889   3,656
Massive fall for DQM: Joker just like FFIII! Square-Enix Underships again...?
But all other DS SW sales surge to compensate...

donny2112

After some cleanup ...

Square2005 said:
Code:
7  Pocket Monster Diamond	      170        99
9  Pocket Monster Pearl	      147        81
15 Tamagotchi 2                                88       off chart

These are the ones that are ~2x higher than last week or more. A convincing argument could be made that all of these are the result of kids using New Year's money to buy games. Very nice. :)

Furoba

donny2112 said:
After some cleanup ...

These are the ones that are ~2x higher than last week or more. A convincing argument could be made that all of these are the result of kids using New Year's money to buy games. Very nice. :)

お年玉 FTW

Crazy to see all those long time selling titles returning to the top positions. :lol

And the Reservation Chart:

Code:
1. [PSP]Monster Hunter Portable 2nd -                                       707 
2. [PS2]Super Robot War OG ORIGINAL GENERATIONS -            515 
3. [PS2]Fate/stay night〔Realta Nua〕(Limited Ed) -                   338 
4. [PS2].hack//G.U. Vol.3 [I]walking speed [/I]-                                 323 
[B]5. [PS2]GTA San Andreas -                                                 322 [/B]
6. [PS2][I]It doesn't seem like it's the time festival[/I] (LE) [?] -          153 
[B]7. [NDS]Dragon Quest IX -                                                  115[/B] 
8. [PSP]Tales of Destiny 2 -                                                     109 
9. [NDS]Shin SanGoku War DS -                                               95 
10.[PS2]Shining Force Exa -                                                      76 
11.[PS2][I]Happiness![/I] でらっくす(Limited Ed) [??] -                          67 
12.[NDS]Monster Farm Jamboree [??] -                                     57 
13.[PS2][I]It's the winter's Sonata[/I]ってちょんまげ Expert 10 [?]          54 
14.[PS2][I]Satoshi Generation[/I] Afterー It's a Wonderful Life CS Ed - 53 
15.[PS2]Tennis Prince: Doki Doki Survivor Seashore's Secret -    51
16.[PS2]Let's make a J.LEAGUE Pro Soccer Club! 5 -                   49 
17.[PS2]Zero's [I]used demon, little demon & spring breeze concerto[/I] (LE) - 45
18.[PS2]Dragon Shadow Spell -                                                 44 
19.[PS2]Fate/stay night〔Realta Nua〕(LE) -                               40 
20.[PS2][I]It doesn't seem like it's the time festival [/I] -                     32

Give me a sec and I'll finish translating it...
could use some help...

Well that's the best I can do...

Joe Molotov

castle007 said:
how in God's name did I miss this thread??

Someone should write a Sales Thread Finder extention for Firefox. It could scan GAF and locate any new sales thread and then automatically post "OMG at XXXXX sales!!!!" where-in XXXX is any game or hardware that has sold higher than expected.

Square2005 said:

Code:

Since the Nintendo DS began to sell like crazy in the middle of 2005, I cannot not observe how it is selling like a fool right now and how its software is selling like NEVER before and HOW persistent are the games in the top 10 Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, the Brain games....Just I can't.
It seems yesterday when Nintendo had problems only to keep one game outside Pokémon in the top 10 for more then 2 weeks and now...just in some months (MONTHS !!!, not years) the market has changed so fast and nobody expected it.

What I didn't expect too and what nobody didn't expect it, is that even software of third parties is selling like crazy on Nintendo DS. It required just a little bit more then First party games, but the machine is going now: Square-Enix, the company that just only 2-3 years ago had problems only to have a good relationship with Nintendo, and that now is almost totally switching on Nintendo DS with the development of his MAJOR franchises, is only an example.

I'm surprised guys. If you told me three years ago, I would you say that you were crazy. Just as Nintendo has been proclamed as crazy with his "gimmickly" touch screen and with his "useless" Wiimote.
But we know also that the difference between insanity and genius is very, very small...

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
EDIT: Sorry for grammaticals mistakes.

Actually, I've noticed that you have been getting better at writing English. Keep on working at it, your almost there.

I suspected that Dragon Quest Monsters would have a shortage. It probably won't even be in the top 10.

ethelred

Maybe Square Enix and the retailers will get it right by the time DQIX rolls around... they've still got a few more practice runs (FFXII: RW being the biggie).

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
we're looking at a DS software/hardware explosion this week, and shortages of Wii software/hardware and DQJ.

Solsc

Square2005 said:

Code:
                                   TOP20 Total:  2,889   3,656

I can't bieleve the jump in DS game sales, but it looks like the Wii games took a slight hit this week.
Still no PS3 games in site.
And it looks like Square once again undershipped one of its major games.

ethelred said:
Maybe Square Enix and the retailers will get it right by the time DQIX rolls around... they've still got a few more practice runs (FFXII: RW being the biggie).

When is Final Fantasy 12: RW coming out? Isn't Dragon Quest 9 coming out early next year in Japan (April - June)?

Solsc said:
And it looks like Square once again undershipped one of its major games.

I don't have FFIII's COMGNET debue figures anymore but I have its second week sales: 35. Famitsu reported 52,223 in FFIII's 2nd week from 501,701 at release. If you want to make comparisons w/ Joker...

KINGMOKU

I know its probably been asked a million times, but when do the real MC numbers hit?

There are so many sets of numbers now, I dont know what the hell to think.

moku said:
I know its probably been asked a million times, but when do the real MC numbers hit?

There are so many sets of numbers now, I dont know what the hell to think.

One thing is sure: the officails numbers are not out yet. Speculation, statistics, approximations and estimations are the essence of this thread.

moku said:
Unknown. Late due to holidays, and it was theorized that it might turn up yesterday, but clearly not. At this point maybe we'll get two sets at the regular Wednesday/Thursday time?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Since the Nintendo DS began to sell like crazy in the middle of 2005, I cannot not observe how it is selling like a fool right now and how its software is selling like NEVER before and HOW persistent are the games in the top 10 Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, the Brain games....Just I can't.
It seems yesterday when Nintendo had problems only to keep one game outside Pokémon in the top 10 for more then 2 weeks and now...just in some months (MONTHS !!!, not years) the market has changed so fast and nobody expected it.

What I didn't expect too and what nobody didn't expect it, is that even software of third parties is selling like crazy on Nintendo DS. It required just a little bit more then First party games, but the machine is going now: Square-Enix, the company that just only 2-3 years ago had problems only to have a good relationship with Nintendo, and that now is almost totally switching on Nintendo DS with the development of his MAJOR franchises, is only an example.

I'm surprised guys. If you told me three years ago, I would you say that you were crazy. Just as Nintendo has been proclamed as crazy with his "gimmickly" touch screen and with his "useless" Wiimote.
But we know also that the difference between insanity and genius is very, very small...
are all your posts like this? I mean I know the DS is selling a lot but c'mon you post like every week you are surprised at the DS success not to mention it's kind of painful to read one of your posts if you could hm change your format or something try to post something different at least once.

Error2k4 said:
are all your posts like this? I mean I know the DS is selling a lot but c'mon you post like every week you are surprised at the DS success not to mention it's kind of painful to read one of your posts if you could hm change your format or something try to post something different at least once.

Perhaps for someone like you now the fact that 8/10 games in the top 10 are on Nintendo DS and that since more then 15 weeks the handheld sells in Japan over 100k is normal, but for me not at all.
This is a Chart-Thread. If we don't speak about sales, why are we discuting about them ?
I know that it is annoying sometimes, but there is nothing else to say here. We have data to analyse, but if the data is always the same (because on Nintendo DS, the games that sells, remains in the top 10 for an eternity and the hardware's charts is flat), it is difficult to change subject.
Surprise is what I can exprime. This is for now what I can say about these numbers. Perhaps we should invite Patcher here to see what a real analysts has to say.....

And another thing: I have already said that the market in japan has changed not only completely, switching from console to handheld, from graphics to gameplay, from Sony to Nintendo, but also that it changed really fast, and faster then every analysts thought (if it has supposed that it could change of course).
This is the proof that after a lot of years of linear improvement, with only technologies improvements, people are eager of NEW things. How many times have I said it ? There are tow methods to sells a product: bring to the market something that nodoby has brought to it before and provoke people, or better, stimulate people; make sure that people know what you're doing and be sure that nobody can copy what you have done and this is working for the Wii too.

This is why Nintendo has been really smart: with Gamecube, someone could say that its biggest problem was the Third party Support. Somebody could say the design. Someone else could say the lack of OnLine and so on. I would say that it is a combination fo all factors and, in addition, the fact that the Gamecube was directly comparable to the concurrence.
Wii si apart. Wii is different. What Wii has, Sony and Microsoft haven't and vice-versa. This is the key to succeed: make sure that nobody says that what you propose is onanother machine too. Pure concept of exclusivities, but not in the common sense, i.e. games that are developed only for a console, but in the sense that who develop a game for the Wii have to develop it specifically for it (if we exclude ports and dumb projects, that, unfortunately, are still too many).

And the Nintendo DS has been only a test. And what about ? To verify that the strategy could really work. And what an incredible opportunity ! Sony was gearing up a portable with the name Playstation in a moment where the brand was at his maximum strenght. If they would have succeed, the the road to the Wii would have become less difficult. And what an occasion to stop hounting themself behind the GameBoy's name. It was a big gamble and it was bigger then Wii is right now, because the Wii is surfing really on Nintendo DS's success. Why ?Do you think that the incredible support of the press would have been so big without the Nintendo DS ? Do you think that someone would have consider Nintendo's gamble without the lesson of Nintendo DS ? Perhaps the influence of this fact on the mass market has not been really appreciable, but on the press and on media the influence has been awesome. And what do mass media ? They influence the market. A great idea. That's why Nintendo's commercials have not been so central in Nintendo's strategy: because they choose the indirect way to reach the consumer.

I repeat it: the difference between genius and insanity is very small......

ethelred

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
And another thing: I have already said that the market in japan has changed not only completely, switching from console to handheld, from graphics to gameplay, from Sony to Nintendo, but also that it changed really fast, and faster then every analysts thought (if it has supposed that it could change of course).
This is the proof that after a lot of years of linear improvement, with only technologies improvements, people are eager of NEW things. How many times have I said it ? There are tow methods to sells a product: bring to the market something that nodoby has brought to it before and provoke people, or better, stimulate people; make sure that people know what you're doing and be sure that nobody can copy what you have done and this is working for the Wii too.

This is why Nintendo has been really smart: with Gamecube, someone could say that its biggest problem was the Third party Support. Somebody could say the design. Someone else could say the lack of OnLine and so on. I would say that it is a combination fo all factors and, in addition, the fact that the Gamecube was directly comparable to the concurrence.
Wii si apart. Wii is different. What Wii has, Sony and Microsoft haven't and vice-versa. This is the key to succeed: make sure that nobody says that what you propose is onanother machine too. Pure concept of exclusivities, but not in the common sense, i.e. games that are developed only for a console, but in the sense that who develop a game for the Wii have to develop it specifically for it (if we exclude ports and dumb projects, that, unfortunately, are still too many).

And the Nintendo DS has been only a test. And what about ? To verify that the strategy could really work. And what an incredible opportunity ! Sony was gearing up a portable with the name Playstation in a moment where the brand was at his maximum strenght. If they would have succeed, the the road to the Wii would have become less difficult. And what an occasion to stop hounting themself behind the GameBoy's name. It was a big gamble and it was bigger then Wii is right now, because the Wii is surfing really on Nintendo DS's success. Why ?Do you think that the incredible support of the press would have been so big without the Nintendo DS ? Do you think that someone would have consider Nintendo's gamble without the lesson of Nintendo DS ? Perhaps the influence of this fact on the mass market has not been really appreciable, but on the press and on media the influence has been awesome. And what do mass media ? They influence the market. A great idea. That's why Nintendo's commercials have not been so central in Nintendo's strategy: because they choose the indirect way to reach the consumer.

I repeat it: the difference between genius and insanity is very small......

Perrin? Perrin, is that you?

Top Bottom