• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Digital Tracked Sales

hiska-kun

I remember reading that they're based off of surveys? I'm not sure where I got that from. If true, that does make question the validity of Famitsu's data. We know how accurate their Most Wanted poll is ...

Yeah, the truth must be revealed
The Famitsu digital sales are estimates based on surveys, and reseaches. The magazine says they use a website to do it, the poll is about 10.000 people for each system. They extrapolate and calculated the rest.
It's the sample big enough to be considered accurate?
Probably not, but it's the most official thing we have.

May add this info in the opening later.

extralite

The Famitsu digital sales are estimates based on surveys, and reseaches. The magazine says they use a website to do it, the poll is about 10.000 people for each system. They extrapolate and calculated the rest.
It's the sample big enough to be considered accurate?
Probably not, but it's the most official thing we have.

The sample size seems big enough, what is more important is if the sample is representative.

I remember reading that they're based off of surveys? I'm not sure where I got that from. If true, that does make question the validity of Famitsu's data. We know how accurate their Most Wanted poll is ...
The method applied for the download sales would resemble the one they use for polling shops to gather retail sales more than what they use for the Most Wanted ranking. Every reader can vote on the latter, Famitsu has no control over who votes and cannot ensure the sample is representative.

For the Most Wanted Charts the voter numbers are also poor but a high number of participants wouldn't help if they're mostly homogenous and lacking representatives of other groups. Basically over representation of core gamers is what makes Famitsu Most Wanted charts not resemble sales later on.

Top Bottom