• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu gives Lightning Returns a 37/40, lower than XIII and XIII-2

Takao

Banned
A sure sign of Square Enix's financial distress, Famitsu gave this game a 37/40 after XIII-2 got a perfect score, and XIII got a 39. The cheque bounced.

Toth

Can't create a thread so I'll just leave this here:

Interesting breakdown this time:

10 10 9 8

I wonder why three of the four gave it so high but the 4th did not. Either way I am glad the game is not as 'perfect' as 13-2 was. Even I admit that FF13-2 was not a perfect game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It definitely looks cool, but I need to see more than a few seconds.

Also that seems to be less of an overworld map than just -- a map in the game. I might be mistaken though.

Monolithsoft is aiming for a full seamless experience so we'll see what happens with that.

Shinta

Banned

10 10 9 8

I wonder why three of the four gave it so high but the 4th did not. Either way I am glad the game is not as 'perfect' as 13-2 was. Even I admit that FF13-2 was not a perfect game.

I always like when multiple people review a game. Magazines always did this back in the day, and it was far superior.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can't create a thread so I'll just leave this here:

Famitsu weighs in on Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, gives it a 37/40

Divisive ingame comingGggGGg!

I'm curious to find out why two of the reviewers think it's a perfect score game and the other two not at all. Even if famitsu's reviews are usually just PR talk.

Jeels

Divisive ingame comingGggGGg!

I'm curious to find out why two of the reviewers think it's a perfect score game and the other two not at all. Even if famitsu's reviews are usually just PR talk.

Does it really matter? Neither the 10's or the 8 are actually reflective of the quality of the game. Honestly, with Famitsu reviews its non-news. Only thing of note is that its reviewing lower, which should say something from a magazine that gave XIII-2 a perfect score. A fucking travesty.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wouldn't put much stock in Famitsu. Still I guess the most polished FF to date was lacking some polish and got docked a point.

Perfo

Does it really matter? Neither the 10's or the 8 are actually reflective of the quality of the game.

With Famitsu and the XIII series could be working the other way though:

FFXIII 40/40 - no one agrees
FFXIII-2 39/40 - most think is a better game than XIII (not me)
LR 37/40 - who knows XD

That said this could be a funny turn out of events with LR being liked LESS in the the EAST and more in the WEST, as opposed to XIII in general that got relaly bashed here by magazines and loved in Japan by the same.

But again, famitsu, dengeki and co. don't really review games in the traditional western sense, most of the times they're PR stuff or just comments on games from players.

I should wait for Edge, but considering they rate every single ff after 12 with 5 and 6 maybe I can't trust them anymore.

Oh cool, this review score tells us absolutely nothing.

As usual.

Hahahaha, oh Famitsu, I love you deeply but you should just stop reviewing games. The numbers you put down mean zero, be they high or low.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
With Famitsu and the XIII series could be working the other way though:

FFXIII 40/40 - no one agrees
FFXIII-2 39/40 - most think is a better game than XIII (not me)
LR 37/40 - who knows XD

That said this could be a funny turn out of events with LR being liked LESS in the the EAST and more in the WEST, as opposed to XIII in general that got relaly bashed here by magazines and loved in Japan by the same.

I have a feeling the western press are going to ream it too.

DaBoss

10 10 9 8

You know there's something wrong with review scores in modern reviews when someone says 10 and 9 are so high, but 8 is not.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe it's -5 without the checks?

FFXIII = 39/40 with check = 34/40 without check
FFXIII-2 = 40/40 with check = 35/40 without check

Does this mean LR:FFXIII is better than both games?

dat first post

wtf. FFVIII got a 37/40 from Famitsu? Final Fantasy 8 was one of the best FF ever

77e868e8_6f7d7db4_350x700px-LL-4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

Perfo

I have a feeling the western press are going to ream it too.

Then my avatar will change :(
hopefully in something Toriyama's related. Or this could be the second NieR I was waiting for: more they bash, more is good! Or evne better: Demon's Souls before someone actually noticed it was good!

In any case. For me is a 40/40 without even playing it. There's Light, Toriyama and FF in it. It's a given.

MilkBeard

dat first post

wtf. FFVIII got a 37/40 from Famitsu? Final Fantasy 8 was one of the best FF ever

Pretty sure Famitsu used to be pretty strict, or at least more accurate with scores. Now it's just moneyhat city.

EDIT: and 37 is still a good score. I see what happens. They score everything so high now that even good scores that are lower seem bad.

Toxi

Banned
Famitsu gave Demon's Souls a 29 and Dark Souls a 37, even though Dark Souls is basically Demon's Souls in a Metroidvania world.

They just give good reviews whenever they're paid.

Hey... so I did "create" a thread after all, lol.

BTW, this must be the most realistic score for this trilogy. Perhaps still a bit high.

Perfo

Really? Every preview from western sites and magazines has been quite positive. I wouldn't be surprised for 8-9 review scores.

In the end total score apart the reviewers thought LR was "masterpiece" "masterpiece" "extermely good" "very good". We can't really say it's a bad reviewed game. You just notice the difference when you compare it to the perfect score of XIII-2 but again... is there really someone here that thought XIII-2 deserved that rating? Even I would oppose against that if my waifu was not involved with it.

If Lightning Returns is the lowest Famitsu score for a FF since X-2, then this might actually be the best FF in a long time, right?

X-2 was great you jerks, even with the nonsense plot

Top Bottom