• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Interview with Hidemaro Fujibayashi, Director of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This game is going to be so broken.

It could be broken in an interesting way in that crazy techniques are discovered which isn't unlikely because Zelda games always have some insane nonsense before factoring an intricate physics system.

I don't think the game is going to be broken from a balance perspective though. One system in this game cannot do everything on its own. So at the least the player is likely always going to be solving problems in an interesting way because the most efficient route is going to be difficult to map out for awhile. Most games have obvious efficient routes in their mechanics, BotW generally doesn't seem to so far but we'll see.

It could be broken in an interesting way in that crazy techniques are discovered which isn't unlikely because Zelda games always have some insane nonsense before factoring an intricate physics system.

I don't think the game is going to be broken from a balance perspective though. One system in this game cannot do everything on its own. So at the least the player is likely always going to be solving problems in an interesting way because the most efficient route is going to be difficult to map out for awhile. Most games have obvious efficient routes in their mechanics, BotW generally doesn't seem to so far but we'll see.

This is going to sound weird but I swear this game is going to be what Scribblenauts touted itself to be for me anyway.

I'm so fascinated and thrilled at the idea of everything in this game being an open ended puzzle, to figuring out to traverse the overwold, to defeating enemies and tackling bosses and even finding dungeons and items. It's going to be splendid brain candy.

If the heyday of Metroid Prime is any indication, susceptibility to being broken in fascinating and creative ways is what will cement this game's longevity.

Assuming the direct path from the starting point to the final boss isn't constrained to a small set of obvious optimal approaches—assuming that all kinds of physics/environment-based shortcuts are waiting to be exploited along the way, with or without exploitation of glitches—the evolution of speed-running in BotW should be a thrill to follow over time, perhaps over the course of years.

But I heard from insiders that this was going to be delayed!

You didn't actually hear that. What you heard was conflicting sources from within two segments of Nintendo (NoE and NoA) on whether or not the game would be ready to ship with all regional localizations and QA given proper time. And that there was the possibility (not a source quote, but only the musing of the insider) that it could be a staggered launch.

oti

Banned
Generally, the key point is "to review everything that we take for granted in LoZ".

I hope they take this approach for all their games. After MK8 Deluxe and Smash 4 we don't need another one of those. Just add new DLC at that point. Really start from zero again and create something new. With the early Switch remakes they'll have the time to really think this through. Gives me hope.

You didn't actually hear that. What you heard was conflicting sources from within two segments of Nintendo (NoE and NoA) on whether or not the game would be ready to ship with all regional localizations and QA given proper time. And that there was the possibility (not a source quote, but only the musing of the insider) that it could be a staggered launch.

If that's how we're going to put it insiders will never be wrong.

Come on now.

Man, I think this game gets the most consistently high review scores of this generation at the very least. It looks like the complete package.

Chao

If you don't know him, he was the director of the Oracle games, Four Swords, The Minish Cap, and Skyward Sword.

Now I'm worried, he's the director of all the Zelda games I don't like, except for Oracle games which I haven't played yet.

I remember feeling sad after beating TP knowing how long it took to come out and how long I had to wait for the next one.
But I'm glad they're giving the series the amount of time and budget it needs as well as the willingness to change things up.

But there have been so many zeldas after TP in 2006.

Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, A Link between two worlds and thats not counting spin offs and re-releases (there have been 4 of those)

I'm willing to wager that this never actually happened but hey, what do i know?

Hermii

I know right?

But hey, if the switch works out for Nintendo then I guess every future Zelda title will be of "console" quality. Cool
If you mean top down zeldas aren't "console quality" I think there is still room for those kind of Zeldas on the Switch. Especially if Switch is their only main platform going forward.

Scrawnton

I really cannot wait for this game. It reminds me of being in 9th grade of high school and eagerly awaiting Wind Waker, which also had a March release.

Now I'm worried, he's the director of all the Zelda games I don't like, except for Oracle games which I haven't played yet.

Well then you're missing two of the very best Zelda games. The Oracles are almost on par with Link's Awakening - exceptional dungeons, fantastic overworlds and memorable characters.

Interestingly, the Oracles were born out of attempting to reimagine the original LoZ for the GBC.

Chao

Well then you're missing two of the very best Zelda games. The Oracles are almost on par with Link's Awakening - exceptional dungeons, fantastic overworlds and memorable characters.

Interestingly, the Oracles were born out of attempting to reimagine the original LoZ for the GBC.

I know, I bought both on 3DS but haven't found the moment to play them

Literally everything they say about this game is perfect. Open-ended puzzle solving, mysterious world boundaries... Ugh c'mon March.

Eh I disagree with this. I might be sounding like a broken record but I think this will be "breakable" in the same way Morrowind was essentially- potion making. If you know exactly where to go to get all the right ingredients you can make some overpowered foods and elixirs to get you super overpowered, and this is likely how you can beat the boss right from the outset. The magnitude of the bonuses might not be "game breaking" but the amount you can carry and use/drink sure seems to be.

Again, not that this is a bad thing. This type of thing is fantastic for game longevity. More games need to not be afraid of being breakable.

I know, I bought both on 3DS but haven't found the moment to play them

Same here, except I got them on GBA. I plan on starting with Seasons but I just haven't had the time. It may have to wait after I finish BOTW, whenever that may be. (Never)

Literally everything they say about this game is perfect. Open-ended puzzle solving, mysterious world boundaries... Ugh c'mon March.

Eh I disagree with this. I might be sounding like a broken record but I think this will be "breakable" in the same way Morrowind was essentially- potion making.

I hope you are right about this because I love Morrowind. Morrowind style broken with a completely fleshed out physics engine to make it even more broken sounds amazing.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't played a console Zelda since TP in 2006, looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Pyrokai

Haven't been this excited for a new game since Mario Galaxy in 2007.

So pumped.

Yep. I definitely agree here.

Oh god, I remember hunting for Mario Galaxy at midnight at various Walmarts even though I had a pre-order at GameStop the next day because I wanted it so badly.

I didn't have any luck and had to wait for the morning : (

⊙I am curious about what is the coward way. But in order to realize all the different methods, it must took lots of time on development. Did any unexpected bugs or something occur during the test?

F: They did happen. But they also created some interesting results in some cases, that we even allowed them to be part of the game rather than correcting them.

Oh man.

OH MAN

psyfi

Banned
I've been on an almost total media black out for BOTW since the first reveal trailer, but man, I'm excited as hell to read all these interviews once I beat it. Everything I've seen of this game
(I've seen plenty even while trying not to)
makes it look like the living, breathing 3D Zelda I've been dreaming about since the 90s. Ocarina of Time was amazing, but even as a kid, it never quite lived up to the Hyrule I imagined in my head. BOTW looks like it will go there and then some. :)

Top Bottom