• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Interview with Masuda and Ohmori on Sun and Moon

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Famitsu recently interviewed director Shigeru Ohmori, taking over the reins of director once more after Masuda passed that torch to him with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, as well as Junichi Masuda himself who is serving as the producer. Nintendo Everything translated the interview (they're still allowed here, right? Only source I've found who has translated the interview) and there's some interesting bits.

Full article below, but I quoted some of the most important bits in terms of reflecting the changes we've seen, and can expect, with Sun and Moon.

On Ohmori directing a New Generation said:
When Ohmori became a director for the first time with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, he felt it was both hectic and interesting at the same time, because he could make a game as he wished. When there were talks of him becoming a director for Sun and Moon, he wondered if he could really do it, because when it comes to a brand new game, there are many things that must be considered, including the world setting and the new Pokemon. He has worked hard and believes that Sun and Moon will be very interesting.

On Sun and Moon's new engine said:
It may be hard to notice from the gameplay footage, but they used a new visual engine for this game, totally different from what was used in X and Y, which allowed them to represent things more leisurely as well as showing trainers all the time during battles.

On choosing Hawaii said:
When asked why the new region is based on Hawaii, Masuda said that the Pokemon World Championships have been held several times there, and he thought that it’s a very energetic land. It has seas, volcanoes and waterfalls, and also has a lot of rainfall compared to most of America.

When discussing with dev staff about choosing a region, there was an opinion to properly cherish the energy of life from humans and Pokemon. Then Hawaii was suggested as a motif for a region that can reconsider the living creatures that appear in Pokemon series, and that suggestion was accepted.

Regarding the simplicity of the New Pokemon said:
They want players to understand a Pokemon by observing their movements in game footage. For example, (the grass starter) Rowlet may have a simple design in its still images, but it can do things like tilting its neck, or its body thinning down when fainting. Even though there are not too many design lines, they think they could generate interest and charm as a living creature with such movements.

The Battle Royal said:
For example, there’s a really strong trainer that can’t be beaten in ordinary battles. But with the rules of Battle Royal, even the strongest trainer doesn’t always win. Even with weak Pokemon, a trainer could still win with a proper strategy. Things like deciding which Pokemon to attack, or trying to read other players’ strategies by looking at their faces will be fun.

The rules of Battle Royal make it hard to gang up on someone. The battle ends when all three Pokemon owned by a trainer faint. So when a player wants to win, they will have to prepare some tactics. If someone becomes too dominant at the start, they will end up becoming everyone else’s targets, so it may be wise to appear like you’re only the second strongest. The dev team thinks this could produce a very strategic gameplay.

On QR Codes said:
Another new feature introduced is the usage of QR codes. They have been used before in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for Secret Bases, but they want children to have more links with the real world. When they thought they couldn’t play Pokemon outside, they discover scannable QR codes all around the world, which becomes a new way to play.

By scanning all kinds of QR codes, they can check out information on Pokemon, and some types of QRs will even register Pokemon locations. However, the excitement of catching said Pokemon will still have to be done in the game.

QR code integration was also done in the Pokemon Ga-Ole arcade (Japan) which started operating on July 7, but it will be the first time a mainline Pokemon game on handhelds will have direct linkage with a Pokemon arcade game.

Regarding Pokemon GO said:
They are also considering linkage with the smartphone app Pokemon GO which came out earlier this month. However, Masuda said that Pokemon GO is a game about catching Pokemon by walking all around the world. And even with the same Pokemon species, they have different appearance methods and catch rates in Sun/Moon. If they are to link the two games, they have to do it in a way that doesn’t break the balance of either game and even end up making both games boring. They still need to find an interesting idea that could make both games more interesting.

On Zygarde said:
Zygarde’s 50% Forme was the result of a properly thought design, but Masuda thinks the 10% and Perfect Formes also have interesting looks. Looking from the development side, when they saw the finished looks from the design team, they were surprised by the results.

Zygarde’s Perfect Forme has very flashy moves, that everyone cannot wait to use them in battles.

Nintendo Everything

My thoughts...

So far Sun and Moon has pretty much done nothing wrong in my eyes, the only worry being that it looks like it might be a tad on the easy side once more (but perhaps that may be a good thing for those coming in from GO?) and I wish some of the older Pokemon models were spruced up a bit since we still seem to have the constantly flying Pokemon, but otherwise it looks like a very solid experience. So far they've brought back and seemingly expanded major features from Gen VI such as Riding Pokemon, Character Customization, and Pokemon-Amie (and hopefully we'll also see them do more with Flying Battles and Inverse Battles), the graphics have seen a decent improvement in terms of creating a nicer world to explore and judging by the map there's a lot of diversity in the areas we'll be traveling to, and though some may disagree I've found the majority of New Pokemon pretty interesting---at the very least we've seen a lot of unique Abilities possessed by the New Pokemon to make them feel fresh.

That being said, if you think about it we're still in the dark about a lot of Sun and Moon. Past Generations introduced a major city to show off in the pre-release cycle, BW having Castelia and XY having Lumiose, yet with Sun and Moon we've yet to see much of any city though some fans may see this as a positive due to how those big cities often ended up being quite clunky. We've also more importantly haven't seen anything about Gym Leaders, with rumors about Gyms being axed in favor of "Island Trials" (mentioned during a Treehouse Quiz at E3) which seem to involve taking on the Tapu Pokemon like Tapu Koko perhaps. And we still don't really know what's up with those bracelets. In fact the whole news cycle this time around has been a bit too much focused on showing off New Pokemon, now I love New Pokemon, that's the best part for me always and I'm thrilled it looks like we could see more this time around than Kalos' smaller amount, but I would like to know a bit more about what this game will bring to the table in terms of changing the flow of the adventure. The Rotom Dex seems like we might be getting some sort of Yokai Watch-style quests (which is something I've wanted the mainline games to do since Pokemon Ranger did it), and really let's be honest Pokemon can indeed benefit from borrowing some ideas from Yokai Watch without losing its identity, so we'll see.

I really hope they address the situation with Mega Pokemon soon to. Like I'm mixed because I don't necessarily love Megas, but I don't quite hate them either and think the biggest problem with them were how awkward they were utilized in Generation VI where you barely encountered any in the single player when they would've made pretty cool and challenging boss encounters especially in the post-game. I also think I'd be a tad disappointed if they just left the current Mega Pokemon in and abandoned the idea, which would leave things rather unbalanced when so many of the "classic" ones (which I'd now say is Gen I-III since they all have remakes) have them compared to like, eight from Gen IV and up?

JoeM86

Lets get real here, 50 and 10 are the only good Zygarde forms.

JRvkBnX.gif

"Need to find and interesting idea" and its variations are the worst.

Why? So everything has to be basic and generic? Finding new and interesting ideas is what propels the industry and game series forwards rather than have them stagnate

Watch Da Birdie

Also I've seen some confusion regarding the mention of "less design lines" being taken to mean "less Pokemon lines"---it seems to be meaning the Pokemon themselves are made up of less lines (the simplicity mentioned in that Sugimori interview from a year or so back), but have a lot of lively animations such as Rowlet rotating its head 180.

Also I've seen some confusion regarding the mention of "less design lines" being taken to mean "less Pokemon lines"---it seems to be meaning the Pokemon themselves are made up of less lines (the simplicity mentioned in that Sugimori interview from a year or so back), but have a lot of lively animations such as Rowlet rotating its head 180.

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious he meant more simplicity in terms of the designs

Fireblend

Banned
Maybe the game will run at a constant framerate this time.

I'm playing ORAS right now (I'd skipped it but bought it due to Poke-GO hype) and this is my #1 wishlist item. Dare I dream for an all-3D-enabled game with a constant framerate?

Also if this game has quests and really innovates itself towards a more Yokai-Watch progression style, this is gonna be my game of the forever.

Salvadora

They need to have extensive post-game content.

OR/AS & X/Y were seriously disappointing on that front.

I want DPP-esque activities to do.

If the game has a sidequest list, I would love if they were all XY Looker Side quest tier. However, I do have an appreciation for some of the understated "sidequests" in previous games. I feel it makes the games feel more like worlds.

That being said, everything in general points to more interesting route design. But I would hope for higher difficulty, but as I said in the thread I made, Pokemon's combat system isn't really built for tough AI driven turn based combat, but there are potential increases that could be made.

As for a constant Framerate on the normal 3DS, yeah, that's not happening, much to my chagrin.

Watch Da Birdie

Playing through Red again I realize the biggest difficulty in the old games wasn't really the challenge of the A.I., it was more the limits you had to deal with---limited inventory, less moves (with Pokemon having a more specialized role for most of the game based on their Type, while now unlimited TMs makes it easier to have every Pokemon on your team capable of covering multiple foes), and longer gaps between healing spots. When your Pokemon are fully healed the game is pretty easy, but as you progress through a dungeon or a long route things get harder and harder as your team is worn down. In a lot of cases I had to backtrack to heal everyone up, but that's more time management than true difficulty.

I agree making Pokemon "hard" in an authentic sense can be a difficult balance since they want to give player's more freedom in constructing their team, and thus it's hard to built a game to account for every variable. Black and White probably came the closest to this due to going with a similar "endurance" style where Routes and Dungeons were pretty filled with lots of Trainers and a more limited selection of Pokemon, but most people seem to prefer more breathing room now and way more Pokemon to choose from. Honestly the best way to make the game challenging would probably be to make it so the player had to pick an equal amount of Pokemon each Trainer battle like in Stadium, but that wouldn't really flow well in the single-player. I like doing this myself when taking on the Gym Leaders as it brings a significant amount of challenge.

Better make use of the new 3DS enhanced specs.

It's mind blowing that ORAS doesn't do this already.

On a modded 3DS, just enabling enhanced clock speeds will leave you with a completely consistent game that's got no slowdowns at all.

That's a lot of work, though. I can see why Game Freak hasn't patched that in, tbh. I mean, changing like four headers? That'd take so much time and effort.......

I don't expect Sun and Moon to take advantage of the N3DS's specs. That'd make too much sense.

It's amazing that I can be this down on the developers of this series and still remain so hyped for their games. They're so good. They're just disappointing in the most baffling ways.

Red

Challenge mode in black and white were okay. A hard mode with an emphasis on type match ups and strategic move sets would work great, there is no need for prolonged battle gauntlets. Pokémon games have had some great difficult post-game content in the past, why not implement some of that challenge into the story? Battle tower and so on. Force the player to consider their party composition before difficult fights, especially gym leaders, which really seems like it should have been standard design since the beginning. Encourage them to try different Pokémon they otherwise might not. Too often strategy in Pokémon games boils down to "which starter do I want that will make the first gym or two not too grindy..." After that you can do whatever you want with no consequences. Fine for passing the time but unrewarding for those who want a deeper, more thoughtful experience.

I wish there was a way to fast forward battles. Or just make battles faster in general. I've spent so many hundreds of hours in Pokémon battles and most of them are sheer wastes of time. I've disabled animations in every game since gen IV. They still take forever. That's my number one complaint.

udivision

Why? So everything has to be basic and generic? Finding new and interesting ideas is what propels the industry and game series forwards rather than have them stagnate

Sorry, that's not what I meant. It typically means they don't have any ideas and the feature or game never happens.

Basically, it's a nicer more hopeful way of saying "No" sometimes, but those hopes rarely turn into anything. Not saying that's the case now for this, but at least with Nintendo properties it can edge towards PR fluff.

I really want this to be good but Gen VI has me wary a bit.
Well, ORAS was okay but I expected a lot more out of it. Plus, I didn't like what they did to some of the tracks in the game.

Challenge mode in black and white were okay. A hard mode with an emphasis on type match ups and strategic move sets would work great, there is no need for prolonged battle gauntlets. Pokémon games have had some great difficult post-game content in the past, why not implement some of that challenge into the story? Battle tower and so on. Force the player to consider their party composition before difficult fights, especially gym leaders, which really seems like it should have been standard design since the beginning. Encourage them to try different Pokémon they otherwise might not. Too often strategy in Pokémon games boils down to "which starter do I want that will make the first gym or two not too grindy..." After that you can do whatever you want with no consequences. Fine for passing the time but unrewarding for those who want a deeper, more thoughtful experience.

I wish there was a way to fast forward battles. Or just make battles faster in general. I've spent so many hundreds of hours in Pokémon battles and most of them are sheer wastes of time. I've disabled animations in every game since gen IV. They still take forever. That's my number one complaint.

I do agree with most of this, but I do take concern with one idea and that is party composition. I feel like that clashes with another concept of pokemon which is taking a team that the player wants and applying it to a variety of situations and growing alongside them. Party composition has more of a place in SMT where the relationship between you and your "partners" is more impersonal. Thus, swapping them out is part of the experience, swapping out a team member in pokemon has much more emotional weight to it I feel. That's why we have aspects like Amie after all. So, party composition probably should be considered for what team members support one another, but I feel adaptation should be the #1 aspect that combat should focus on before anything like Composition. That pretty much revolves around trainers with good movesets and pokemon as well as their ability to use the switching mechanic. I mention a couple ways below that would have to happen to create a good difficulty mode in this series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251180&highlight=

Red

I do agree with most of this, but I do take concern with one idea and that is party composition. I feel like that clashes with another concept of pokemon which is taking a team that the player wants and applying it to a variety of situations and growing alongside them. Party composition has more of a place in SMT where the relationship between you and your "partners" is more impersonal. Thus, swapping them out is part of the experience, swapping out a team member in pokemon has much more emotional weight to it I feel. That's why we have aspects like Amie after all. So, party composition probably should be considered for what team members support one another, but I feel adaptation should be the #1 aspect that combat should focus on before anything like Composition. That pretty much revolves around trainers with good movesets and pokemon as well as their ability to use the switching mechanic. I mention a couple ways below that would have to happen to create a good difficulty mode in this series.

I agree! My above post was referring to a possible hard mode, an optional way to play, that would necessarily alter the rules a bit. I also think that by forcing players out of their comfort zone and encouraging them to try new Pokémon and play styles the games might ease them into a new batch of favorite Pokémon they may not have otherwise tried. I prefer this method of strategic difficulty over simply throwing battle after battle at the player without pokécenters or healer characters nearby. In fact I wouldn't mind if there were several difficult battles lined up with heal points immediately after each one, so your whole team could tackle each new escalating challenge afresh. Going into each fight you might see the opponent's lineup, so you'd have to consider which Pokémon to use first, what type makeup you'd want for your team, and so on. Maybe allow players to switch out team members to combat what's coming up. That sort of challenge is more interesting to me than a mere war of attrition, which in gaming is more or less a way to present the illusion of challenge without ever really providing challenge.

Incentivizing certain challenges might also be a good way to improve difficulty. Something like "win a Manaphy egg if you beat the Elite Four using only three Pokémon."

The combat system in Pokémon is pretty robust, and is woefully underutilized. There is so much involved at this point. Lots of Pokémon get neglected, become mere boxes to tick. There could be more to bring them out and have players experiment with them.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. It typically means they don't have any ideas and the feature or game never happens.

Basically, it's a nicer more hopeful way of saying "No" sometimes, but those hopes rarely turn into anything. Not saying that's the case now for this, but at least with Nintendo properties it can edge towards PR fluff.

Also, for as many times as I've heard that phrase from Nintendo and Nintendo-affiliated developers, ultimately, I often end up finding their decisions as to what does constitute 'a new and interesting idea worthy of pursuing' lacking at best.

Watch Da Birdie

You bring up the EXP. Scale from Black and White, and I believe people noticed during the E3 Demo it seemed to be in based on how much EXP. the player's Popplio was getting, though it hasn't been confirmed.

Caronte

If they are to link the two games, they have to do it in a way that doesn’t break the balance of either game and even end up making both games boring.

Since when do they care about balance?

V-Faction

I'd like to see what the engine can do for Pokemon Battling. Y'know, most folks want the Pokemon themselves to interact, be controllable, etc. A bit like Pokken. Me, on the other hand, I want to see GameFreak push the limits of what the traditional Turn-based battle system can do. Right now, you always fight Pokemon, no matter what. It's the #1 way you interact with the world. Let's say, in order to pump that up, they grant you the ability to fight differently:

- Attacking structures or objects with "health".
- Bigger, raid-style boss Pokemon that are meant to take more attacks.
- Imposed time limits or active-battle events.
- Full on 6v1 battles.
- Instanced moments where you team up (like in DPPt)
- Kooky mini-scenarios where you're doing something unrelated to Pokemon (like PokeStar studios).

All within the confines of the current turn-based method.

You bring up the EXP. Scale from Black and White, and I believe people noticed during the E3 Demo it seemed to be in based on how much EXP. the player's Popplio was getting, though it hasn't been confirmed.

That's part of the reason I'm excited for this game. EXP distribution was such a success in BW, I was rather surprised that they reverted to the old system that was so flawed. This system appears to be similar but with the added change that the bonus that Trainer Pokemon give in terms of EXP seems to have been reduced. I'm not sure what that will entail for the game as a whole but by itself that caught my attention.

I'd like to see what the engine can do for Pokemon Battling. Y'know, most folks want the Pokemon themselves to interact, be controllable, etc. A bit like Pokken. Me, on the other hand, I want to see GameFreak push the limits of what the traditional Turn-based battle system can do. Right now, you always fight Pokemon, no matter what. It's the #1 way you interact with the world. Let's say, in order to pump that up, they grant you the ability to fight differently:

- Attacking structures or objects with "health".
- Bigger, raid-style boss Pokemon that are meant to take more attacks.
- Imposed time limits or active-battle events.
- Full on 6v1 battles.
- Instanced moments where you team up (like in DPPt)
- Kooky mini-scenarios where you're doing something unrelated to Pokemon (like PokeStar studios).

All within the confines of the current turn-based method.

My god, someone mentioned PokeStar Studios, what a cool place. Probably one of the most interesting experiences in a pokemon game, those were some fun combat puzzles. I would love for more stuff like that. I would definitely love all these elements, though based on the Chinese leak, I'm curious about what these "overlords" turn out to be, if the leak holds true.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, XY did have a few various interactive elements while battling that most people might have missed...because said interactions required a specific move.

Like using Air Cutter, Twister, or Blizzard with trees in the background allows you to receive a Berry.

V-Faction

I want it mostly because it'll free up the "Trainer - Pokemon" dynamic. A bad guy/villain will ALWAYS be attached to a Pokemon. We will defeat said antagonist solely through Pokemon battles. Yet what if there was some other "thing" that we, as a Pokemon team, had to destroy or stop. Would be very cool to take down a fortress or battle station of some kind instead of the 50th Zubat.

Same goes for wild Pokemon -specifically legendary battles. What if there was an actual BOSS FIGHT with a legendary Pokemon that made you go up against a Super-Powered version, not just an extremely high Lv. one. Or a sequence/multi-phase fight that escalated from battle to battle. Of course, this is all while still commanding your Pokemon as you normally do.

Azuran

Banned
They want players to understand a Pokemon by observing their movements in game footage. For example, (the grass starter) Rowlet may have a simple design in its still images, but it can do things like tilting its neck, or its body thinning down when fainting. Even though there are not too many design lines, they think they could generate interest and charm as a living creature with such movements.

This is the main reason why judging new Pokemon from still art will always be wrong. The move to 3D in XY gave all the Pokemon so much life by letting them portray aspects that was impossible with sprites and official art.

JoeM86

This is the main reason why judging new Pokemon from still art will always be wrong. The move to 3D in XY gave all the Pokemon so much life by letting them portray aspects that was impossible with sprites and official art.

qn0D3Rj.gif

Yep

I think it's part of why multiple Pokémon have been given multiple pieces of artwork with the reveals now, too

There's a reason while almost all the new designs we've getting have included extra art showing more expressive actions. Gamefreak realized that it helps sell the Pokemon way better to players.

Since when do they care about balance?

When going through pokemon single player, I rarely got the impression that the games were broken, but just easy by design.

That being said, Balance in the Combat is something they've cared about since 5th gen ended. Though ORAS was something silly for doubles.

Watch Da Birdie

That's what I was talking about in the Go Thread, Sugimori's current style is rather plain and unaction-y so most casual players simply see a design in a static pose and write it off. The original art had a bit more life to it, and the franchise was so big people were exposed to the Pokemon via multiple media constantly, but the newer Pokemon don't have that leisure so I agree it's great to see multiple art for the new Pokemon coming out.

udivision

I think that's part of what made Pokemon Stadium leave such a strong impression on people.

Hell yeah.

Eelektross B/W

604.gif

Eelektross X/Y

eelektross.gif

I wish I could find a GIF of Breloom's punch animation from X/Y because it totally turned me around on that particular Pokemon.

Hell yeah.

Eelektross B/W

604.gif

Eelektross X/Y

eelektross.gif

I wish I could find a GIF of Breloom's punch animation from X/Y because it totally turned me around on that particular Pokemon.

But I like Floppy but Stiff Electross :(. Though, XY gets across how Electross should look like in general far better than Black and White did.

Well, beyond the sprite artistry of GF, really.

Street Fighter 3-level sprite animation for Pokemon...maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that would rock.

It's probably beyond the Sprite Artistry of most developers not named Nasca. 700 different high quality models of pokemon with their own forms and animations in combat and Amie would be pretty taxing for almost any developer to make. Detailed Sprite animations for 700 different creatures, would probably cause people to quit lol.

But I like Floppy but Stiff Electross :(. Though, XY gets across how Electross should look like in general far better than Black and White did.

IDK, Eelektross is the perfect example of why I never liked Black/White/2's animated sprites. A lot of 'em (but not all) look positively amateurish in motion. I mean, goddamn, Eelektross looks goofy there. Even Dragon Quest Joker-level 3D models would have been a vast improvement.

Most of the new Pokemon translated better to that style than the old Pokemon, though. A lot of the old Pokemon are way too over-animated in their idle stances.

Kyzer

Banned
I'll never forget the magic of BW and the Pokemon being alive.

Nor the unbearably low expectations I had for the future graphics.

XY reveal was even more magical. Chespin and Dratini were glorious

OnFire331

I'll never forget the magic of BW and the Pokemon being alive.

Nor the unbearably low expectations I had for the future graphics.

XY reveal was even more magical. Chespin and Dratini were glorious

Uh... we all saw that back in 2000 with Pokémon Stadium. It only took the mainline series 13 years to reach that point again.

Top Bottom