• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Takashi Tokita regarding FF IV The After Years for smartphones

Goli

http://app.famitsu.com/20130921_237994/
The whole interview can be found there, but here's a little summary:
-TAY is being made for smartphones because last year's FFIV iOS version did so well worldwide they decided to give the sequel the same treatment.
-This version's being remade in full 3D, and some game balance changes are being made to make it easier to play considering all chapters will be available from the start, unlike the original version where new chapters were distributed monthly.
-Going through the game should take about 50 hours.
-Regarding the price of this version, Tokita says that something around what FFIV's current smartphone version costs seems fair.
-The game is nearly done and they're on the debug phase right now.
-They've received many request to get VA, which Tokita thinks is a good idea, but the problem is the cost that brings.
-Tokita has been reading comments from Twitter after the announcement.
-Along with TAY's smartphone version, Tokita is working on two other titles. One is all new and should be announced early next year, while the other should be announced at next year's TGS.
-As closing comments, Tokita comments how FFIII, FFIV and FFV's smartphone ports have had worldwide success and he hopes people who haven't played those titles along with TAY, specially the ones overseas, give the titles a chance in these new releases.

Some off screen shots as well:
0622.jpg

0725.jpg

0817.jpg

1215.jpg

1125.jpg

0918.jpg

Played this at TGS on Friday. It's about what you expect from a TAY remake using the engine from the IV DS remake.

I can see myself picking it up at some point if the price is right. The platform also doesn't bother me all that much.

Toth

Nice information and people now should understand why this game exists. I figured i0s games have been solid cash cows and it is amusing when people cone down so hard on SE for trying to make money in an unstable market...

Ringman

Banned
People really enjoyed the 3d remake of Final Fantasy IV?

I found the high res 2d version on PSP to be much more enjoyable.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for 2d jrpgs.

Peff

High res sprites are not that great when you can beat the game without looking at the screen.

Best version of the game with a persistent challenge that felt much more satisfying than the cakewalk that is the PSP release.

Goli

Do the FF3/FF4 ports have IAP nags added in?

None, they're straight ports from the DS versions with slightly better graphics. FFIV also has a new easier mode for the ones that found the DS original too difficult and achievements.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nice information and people now should understand why this game exists. I figured i0s games have been solid cash cows and it is amusing when people cone down so hard on SE for trying to make money in an unstable market...
People come down hard on SE because - unlike say... Namco... They're ignoring other markets such as dedicated handhelds and mid-tier console releases.

Do the FF3/FF4 ports have IAP nags added in?
No, I do not think so.

They are pretty faithful to the DS games with cleaner graphics.

And FF4 has achievements, I believe.

I may rebuy both if I get an iPad for Christmas, no interest in them on my phone.

I wish they would add achievement to FFIII, but Square-Enix does not seem to update their apps at all.

Deszaras

Neo Member
I really wish they would have made the story flow more cohesively in this remake because I always felt that the chapter releases were fragmented.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
50 hours? I didn't realize The After Years is a full blown sequel. I thought it was just an extra chapter of sorts.

It was released in short episodes that were kind of like extra chapters.

Edit: Well there was that Wii balance board horror game and the PSP re-release of FFIV, but that's it since 2009's 4 Heroes of Light.

Daedardus

Wait, people actually liked FF V on iOS? Or did they set their sales expectations low? Because this 3D lets it seem that their previous experiment didn't go well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, people actually liked FF V on iOS? Or did they set their sales expectations low? Because this 3D lets it seem that their previous experiment didn't go well.

Well it seems to have a 5 star rating when looking at the app store on my phone.

I haven't played it personally.

Psxphile

What, no Interlude? :p

Wait does that mean in regards to bloating the filesize or is he talking budget wise? If they're not willing to budget in VA I'd have to question just how successful it is.

The After Years has at least twice the playable roster of regular FFIV, and many of them have key parts in the narrative. And if they splurge on Japanese VA you better believe they're going to get English VA on this too. So adding voiced dialogue is no small issue.

For consistency's sake, I think they would bite the bullet. Especially if, as they say, FFIVDS mobile did so well for them.

Is this port being handled by Matrix? Will we get the insane difficulty and augments too?

CorvoSol

It's the best version of FF4 bar none. Oh, the graphics might not be as pretty as the PSP's, and the Mysidian legend has become a garbled mess, but the additions to the plot were good, and the augment system makes the whole game so much better.

Oregano

What, no Interlude? :p

The After Years has at least twice the playable roster of regular FFIV, and many of them have key parts in the narrative. And if they splurge on Japanese VA you better believe they're going to get English VA on this too. So adding voiced dialogue is no small issue.

For consistency's sake, I think they would bite the bullet. Especially if, as they say, FFIVDS mobile did so well for them.

Is this port being handled by Matrix? Will we get the insane difficulty and augments too?

I know, I played the Wiiware version. The script isn't notably massive or anything though is it? I don't really know how VA payment works though so maybe a bigger cast costs more even if there is less dialogue.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hope they actually change and make the challenge dungeons less of a rinse and repeat fest...They made sense when they were monthly episodes, not when you want to get everything and move to the next story. Don't rely on making players run through dungeons and hope for good treasure probability to happen. It's annoying and not good game design when it's not a rogue like and when the dungeons aren't random enough or balanced.

Top Bottom